Informal Dinner Plans

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Nikola

Re: Informal Dinner Plans

Post by Nikola »

The castle servant found Nikki daydreaming amongst a small grove of trees just off the garden path. Trees were her favorite, even more than flowers. Something about the trees made her feel grounded, whole…calm. The girl informed her Vicereine that dinner was ready. Nikki thanked her and sent her to inform Viceroy Israe Li. She smiled after the girl as she hurried off. Glancing up at the tree nearest her, she reached out to touch its trunk and closed her eyes, allowing the sense of being infused with strength and calm to flood through her before patting the bark gently and whispering silent thanks.

She made her way back through the gardens to the castle and turned down the main hall that led to a semi-private dining room. It was not the room used for formal dinners of state. That one was rarely used and would have seemed huge and empty for just two people to share a quiet informal meal together. Rather she had chosen the less formal and smaller dining room that was generally reserved for the Council members’ use. As she entered, she noticed that Iris had been busy decorating the room with symbols of Bravia interspersed with vases of flowers, infusing the room with a light floral fragrance. Not overpowering, indeed barely noticeable, but gave the room a fresh airy feel.

The Captain of her Guard nodded at her as she entered. She had considered telling him his people would not be needed, but as she knew Israe Li would likely have his guards with him, she had left the matter up to the Captain. She smiled and nodded acknowledgement of his preparations and made her way over to a large open window opposite the entrance where she stood peering out into the gardens she had left just moment before. The trees seemed to call to her and held her mesmerized for a long moment as she stood waiting for Zion’s Viceroy to arrive. When he entered he would find her at the window facing away from the entrance, blonde hair pulled up in a loosely bound bun, deep blue gown trailing behind her as the dying sun bathed her features in the warmth of its amber glow.
ZionVR
Official Peasant VR Rulers

Post by ZionVR »

The word had arrived that dinner was ready. The Viceroy had been waiting in anticipation. After all, one never knew how the first major interaction between two leaders would go. Entering into the room where Nikola was, the Viceroy smiled. "You will forgive me if I am a bit forward, but this sunlight seems to make you glow beautifully," he said to her as his main guard tried to fade into the background and the ambassador stood next to him. The ambassador attempted to whisper to the guard, but the guard ignored the words focused on the task at hand. After all, it would not be his fault if something happened. He had seen the Viceroy's recklessness at times in his desire to mingle with people. The guard took in the environment noticing the Captain of her guard. He wondered how many reckless moments he had to deal with. It was their life as a guard.

"It is my honor to be able to have dinner with you. Do you mind if we drop the formal names," he asked sincerely. He didn't want to offend her, but he didn't remember how some would consider the request. He just knew it would irritate him to have to call out titles all night over dinner. He looked around noticing the flowers and wondered if this was a secret to her tranquility. He could tell the smell was meant not to be overpowering, but to reflect more upon a floral note. Was this something common in Bravia? There was much he did not know about their culture. So many questions.

"The flowers are a lovely touch. Are they special to Bravia itself or more to you," he asked curious. If curiosity was a cat, he would be dead in peace time. He was a soldier who was eager for battle, but also knew that when there was none, one should enjoy the little things.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikki turned at the sound of footsteps entering the room and greeted Zion’s Viceroy with a warm smile, blushing slightly at his compliment. Remembering the awkward moment in her dressing room earlier that day, she hoped it had been the sunlight and not something more…personal. To be safe, she consciously tightened her control over the power within her. At least it was not roiling today, begging to be freed to flow as it willed through the room.

“Thank you, Viceroy. You are most gracious,” she responded. “And yes, I would like that very much. My name is Nikola, but most of my friends call me Nikki. I would be honored if you would do so as well.”

She watched him look about the room with a curiosity that was both genuine and refreshing. Too many people took such things for granted and barely noticed the decorative flowers, if at all. Iris took great pride in her garden, and Nikki reaped the benefits many times over. It was nice to share this gift with someone who seemed very appreciative.

“Ah, the flowers are my steward’s touch. They are lovely, aren’t they? She keeps a garden on my estate and a small one here at the castle. She enjoys working with them and she has a way with them that I could not even begin to understand. These that you see here are from those gardens.”

She watched him, trying not to stare openly, but gaging him as both a leader and as a man. For every leader was a creature first and foremost. Leadership was a role they filled, but it was not necessarily who they truly are. This she knew quite well.

He carried himself like a soldier, one accustomed to battle and war. She wondered whether Zion was a military province, or whether they had a need to keep a strong military force. Bravia had seen few of those times, mostly existing in a quiet peace. Most of her citizens were content to work their fields, raise their animals, work in their workshops and mostly just keep to themselves until called upon. Life was good, but she often worried that outsiders might mistake peacefulness as weakness. She knew the strength and courage of her people and her heart warmed to think of them here in this moment.

“Shall we sit? I think the kitchen staff is eager to show off their handiwork,” she smiled and led the way to the table that had been set for them. It was an average sized table, large enough to seat perhaps six Councilors comfortably, yet still comfortable enough for two to share a meal together without forcing too intimate a setting. It had been covered with a white cloth produced by local weavers with the Bravian coat of arms woven into the white on white design. The place settings were produced by local masons and fashioned into simple, yet elegant dishes of clear glass edged in gold. Napkins made of the same cloth as that which covered the table and dyed a Bravian blue were laid out in simple rectangles across the empty plates and topped with golden forks, knives and spoons. Nikki felt a swell of pride in the talents of her people to produce such simple yet beautiful items along with the myriad of other, possibly more useful products they turned out each week. A glance toward the servant’s entrance was rewarded with the sight of Iris’ back as she hurried to get the serving staff started while Nikki and the Viceroy from Zion settled in.

“What should I call you…Isrea? Or Li? Or is there something else you would prefer?” she asked as she approached her chair.
ZionVR

Post by ZionVR »

"Nikki, I think I can handle calling you that. There have been many names that people have called me, but it depends on the time and place. The more informal title of mine would be Isrea. That tends to be limited to friends. Generally, in Zion, we don't use informal titles except in rare cases, but I see no reason why this shouldn't be one," the Viceroy said with a smile back.

He looks over the flowers again. "They are a nice touch. It is not one that I am used to. Perhaps that is the lack of a feminine touch or just the culture doesn't value the flowers as highly as they probably should. Usually the flowers that people see most are the ones they don't want to see in my home. Often, they are dark and a sign of bad news to your family or friends," he commented. "It is refreshing to see flowers used in a more positive and engaging way," he commented a little worried he might be rambling. "Gardens have been said to be a waste of resources, but perhaps I shall have a garden made in Zion sometime as a tribute towards you and Bravia," he said thinking a little bit.

It was obvious to him that Bravia had not been in a war in a while. The culture seemed to show a bit of exuberance and hospitality that can be beat out of the war weary souls. He was interested to learn more about her and Bravia.

"I would enjoy that very much. If they are have as efficient as you are, I am sure the meal will be quite pleasant," he said as he sat down. The smell of the food alone made his stomach campaign for the food to arrive soon than later. He looked over all of the items on the table. They were beautiful and seemed to share a common root. "Did your people make all of these items," he asked.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

“Isrea it is, then,” she smiled back at him, then followed his gaze back to the flowers. She made a mental note to speak to Iris about preparing either seeds or cuttings for the Viceroy to take back to Zion for his new garden. She bowed her head slightly in acknowledgement of his idea to pay tribute to herself and to Bravia with the garden. “That would be lovely. Bravia would be honored, as would I. Perhaps travels may take me to Zion one day so that I may bear witness to this tribute.”

As he asked about the craftsmanship of the items chosen for use at this dinner, she paused to consider, wanting to be sure to give honor where it was due. “All of what you see here was indeed created by our local craftsmen. Masons in Paz created the dishes using sand from the seashore there to turn into glass and dipped in Bravian gold. Weavers from both Paz and Bravia City created the fabrics used to create this cloth and napkins and goldsmiths from Bravia City produced the eating utensils.”

Pride was apparent in her smile as she once again admired the craftsmanship of her people. “Of course, we do have other items imported from elsewhere, but I wanted you to see the wonders of Bravia during this visit. I am quite proud of what our people are able to produce. Even the simplest service has a touch of elegance in the quality of its craftsmanship.”

At this point the kitchen staff began bringing in the simple meal. Well, she had planned for it to be a simple meal, but having left the details up to Iris and the head cook, she suspected it would be somewhat more. First came bowls of steaming cream of broccoli soup with a basket of freshly baked rolls along with pots of creamy butter placed beside each of their place settings. Chilled mint tea was served to each of them and iskir wine was offered to both. Nikki nodded to the server who filled her glass with the sweet wine and smiled at Isrea as the server approached him with the wine bottle.

“This meal was made with local produce. The iskir wine is especially good if you like wine. There will be no offence taken if you do not prefer it. There will be stronger drinks after the meal available if you prefer that. This is just the first course. There will be more, so leave room for that,” she grinned at Isrea and smiled in thanks at the staff as they bowed and retreated back to the kitchens.
ZionVR

Post by ZionVR »

The Viceroy looked around and noted her smile. "You are always welcome in Zion. I ponder how it would be to host someone like yourself," he said in a very level tone. Looking over everything, it was more than he expected. "Compliments go to the chef for their work on this broccoli soup," he stated as he tasted some of it. "I can't saw that I was a fan of the soup until I had it here," he commented picking up a glass of the iskir wine. Sipping it softly, he smiled back to her.

"This is something I rather enjoy. This is a sign of things to come I believe. Our two people should have a chance for a long lasting peace. I had a historian tell me that years ago, our two regions were not the best of friends. Now, I think this meeting is a chance to help improve it so that we are peaceful for many generations to come," he stated.

He lifted the wine glass to his lips, took another drink of it, and lifted it saying: "May the relationship between our two realms be as sweet as this wine and as pleasurable as the soup."

He noticed the nods to the staff and he tried to add his own thumbs up to them.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikki beamed proudly once again as Israe complimented the soup. The dish was one of her own specialties, but this particular batch had not come from her workshop. Nor had the rolls come from her bakery. No, she had instructed Iris to have the cook use produce from the other craftsmen and farmers in Bravia for this meal.

As he mentioned the history that told of a time when Zion and Bravia had perhaps been at odds, her smile faded. Setting the spoon carefully beside the bowl of soup, she picked up her glass of iskir wine, but did not take a sip as yet. Instead, her mind was flooded with the memory of the dragon and a certain dark elf and the chaos that both of them had wrought against Bravia. She wondered, not for the first time, whether she had handled those situations well. She had been young, and brand new to the politics of Secfenia and had only just taken on the role of Vicerine for the first time.

She toyed with the glass of wine for a long moment as those memories paraded past her mind’s eye, not for the first time and she knew would not be the last. With a sigh she rolled her shoulders back as if in a shrug and squared them as though preparing to meet life head on no matter the cost. She smiled at Israe and lifted her glass in agreement.

“Indeed, may our two provinces prosper and grow strong together as our two realms develop this new relationship. May a strong and healthy partnership result and stand the test of time for us, our children and our children’s children.”

Her smile was warm and genuine as she spoke and her eyes glittered with hope as she took a sip of the sweet wine.

As they finished off the soup, kitchen staff entered the room to whisk away the spent bowls and replaced the baskets of bread with fresh steaming rolls, hot from the ovens. On their heels came the main course.

“I do hope you like Shepherd’s pie, Israe. It is a particularly delicious and hearty offering. I particularly like that it takes cattle ranchers, butchers, millers and bakers all working together to produce the end result. It is not a fancy meal, perhaps, but provides every nutrient needed for a person to build their strength, hone their mind and improve their character, all in a single dish. Do, please, enjoy.”

She smiled again and poked the top of the crust with a fork, allowing steam to escape. As she let the pie sit for a few moments to cool, she began asking Israe about Zion.

“Tell me of Zion, Israe. What is the land like? What crops and fruit does it produce? What do your people value above all else?”

She blushed, realizing that she was peppering him with questions and not allowing him to answer a single one. “Forgive me. My curiosity is getting the better of me, I fear,” she apologized sincerely and nodded as a servant offered to top up her wine glass.
ZionVR

Post by ZionVR »

He marveled if all Bravians were so humble. There was something special about her. He wondered about her upbringing and about the sights she had seen. There were many questions, but not nearly enough time.

"The face of our continent can depend upon the diplomacy of just a couple. I'm glad that we have had this chance," he commented listening to her questions enjoying some hot fresh bread. There were times of war that the bread they had did not rise much. To have the pillowy type was always a pleasure to one's senses. Food, on the battlefield, was more about simplicity. Bread could work, but things like Shepherd's Pie...

"It is intriguing to have the pie. A dish to feed all of one's important characteristics. It is important to find the mind, the body, and the spirit. Not many would appreciate this, but it is good to see that you do," he said taking a bite of it and smiling brightly.

Hearing her questions about his home, he grinned a bit. "Zion is a land of strong traditions. There was once a time our people had been exiled off the main continent to a small island. It wasn't until the Shivite States fell into disarray that we were once able to fight our way back home. With might and determination, we were able to reclaim our home and we have stood tall against all odds to make sure that it stays ours. There are some who would like to retake what they consider theirs even though our claim lasts longer than theirs. When we get together as a community, there is a very strong spirit. On our Reclaimation Day, all shops are closed, Viceregal and Town functions brought to a minimum. We all get together to celebrate the home we have. We have had the river through our home which has helped with part of our major feeder crop - Fish. Two of our towns are major sea ports and we have had at times had to monitor them for criminals who would try to divide and conquer our home," he said taking another bite.

"Each town crest represents our rich and deep distory. From Ellysa's sword and book, where our strategies and fight allowed us to keep our home to the never setting moon on our Capital's crest. We are watchful and strong. I guess above else we value the stregnth in numbers and community," he stated.

"Our veggies that we have in our home is something very heartly and delicious. If you ever come to visit us, I'd be happy to have leeks made for you. With a little big of garlic, it is a magical delight. On the fruits side, I'd be happy to have some pear cider made for you. It is a drink that plays on your tastebuds," he commented.

"Nikki, don't worry about asking too many questions. I doubt if I had all the free time in the world that I would be able to answer all the inquiries I have nor ask everything I wanted to. Out of curiosity, what does Bravia value the most? What do you think the people of Bravia would really want to know," he asked.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

The Vicerine nodded in agreement as Zion’s Viceroy spoke of how diplomacy between even two provinces could change the face of the continent. She considered Bravia’s relations with Kiene and with Fenia, Bravia’s two closest neighbors. A slight smile lit her lips as she considered how diametrically opposed the two were with Bravia. She also fully understood how tenuous such relations could be and that even the best of partnerships could dissolve in an instant. The burden of balance weighed heavily on her young shoulders. She felt as though she had aged a decade in the time since she first ascended to the Viceroy’s chair. Could it really have only been only two years since that time?

Seeing the pleasure on Israe’s face as he enjoyed the fresh rolls, she brought her thoughts back to focus on the moment. It seemed clear to her that these were a luxury of sorts and she wondered again whether his lands were host to war even now. As he began to share about his home land, she listened attentively, taking the occasional mouthful of pie or a sip of wine as he regaled her with insights to his people’s history.

As he spoke of their history and the celebrations that had arisen from the victory of reclaiming their home after a long exile, she thought back on what she knew of Bravia’s history. She had not been a scholar of her own province’s history before she became involved, but had lived through its reshaping through the loss of Cork by the traitorous actions of its mayor. She had served as a buffer between the Dark Elf and her people, absorbing the threats of destruction as they were directed at her people through her and due, in large part, to her own choices and actions. She had fought against retaliation for Cork’s loss knowing that her people did not stand a chance against the military might of the Elf and his forces. She would rather lose one town than see her entire province destroyed. Whether or not this had been the right decision might never be known, but for her, it had been and she had taken full responsibility for that decision. The good that came from that, aside from unexpected alliances, was that her people awoke from their peaceful slumber and returned to activity, working to build their strength and arms while also opening workshops long disused and churning out products that had long been absent from the markets.

Recently she had experienced firsthand from newer citizens, or at least one of them, the dismissal out of hand of those events that had shaped who and what Bravia was now. The insinuation that those who lived through those events were old and didn’t have a clue how to manage the province now had cut deeply. She was seriously considering stepping down as Vicereine to give the cat a chance to prove herself in the absence of those who had given their blood, sweat and tears to provide her a safe and peaceful place to live and grow in. Some creatures would never truly understand or appreciate the sacrifices of those who went before them to make sure they never had to suffer as they had.

Israe’s description of his own people’s struggles and the pride they all took in who they were even now struck a chord within her, producing a longing that she did not understand just yet. She mentally tucked away her own thoughts of Bravia as he began to describe the produce of his province.

“I don’t believe I have ever had leeks, but I would be delighted to experience them for the first time in a place that knows just how to prepare them,” she smiled. “Pear cider sounds heavenly. I have managed to procure a few pears and made some Perry once. It was quite good, but I’m guessing I could learn a thing or two from your own brewers.”

She considered his questions about Bravia and took another sip of wine, stalling for time as she thought through her response. “I think that most Bravians treasure their peace and security most of all. There are some who seem to think that inviting trouble is a good thing, but for the most part I don’t see that as being the majority opinion. Bravians strive to progress through life, improving their characters and developing their workshops through the different levels. Most want the most out of life, but I’m not sure that Bravia is as provincially minded as Zion. There are those of us who have poured all that we are and have into building the province, but most seem content to simply live in peace. To their credit, though, when asked to help with needs of the province, most will step up.”

She considered how best to expand on this thought as she took yet another sip of wine, the remaining shepherd’s pie sitting untouched in its dish. The pie was delicious as always, but her thoughts were churning so fast that she simply forgot to eat as the conversation progressed.

“Losing Cork was difficult as it was our primary source of wood at the time. Looking back, however, the province did not get a steady flow of wood from the town even when it was part of Bravia. After it defected to Kiene, we learned that most of the wood sales from Cork had been going to Kiene rather than Bravia anyway as the ruling family had relatives there. Most of the time, if we needed wood, we had to travel to Cork to cut it ourselves anyway, so once we were able to help the populace see that one day’s travel to Staunchville was not so different from one day’s travel to Cork, people were finally willing to go chop there. The main difference was that the market in Staunchville was mostly empty in the beginning, but with many traveling there to chop wood, the people have enhanced that market quite a bit, which helps those working in the forests there. The VR also has provided grants with stat foods and equipment for our younger citizens to chop wood and build stats while earning a good wage so that everybody benefits. As we have adjusted to the loss of Cork, I think that Bravia has become more united and willing to work together for the good of all rather than just for individual benefit.”

She smiled as she finished off her wine. When a servant approached with the offer of more, she shook her head, opting instead for mint tea. She wanted her head clear and a glance down at her plate reminded her that she had not eaten nearly enough to absorb any more wine for the moment.

“As to what the people of Bravia might want to know of Zion, I think that the most important thing would be whether Zion and Bravia will be allies and what that might mean in terms of trade and mutual defense. Trade will be the primary concern, of course, as there is too great a distance for either of our provinces to truly render aid of any significance in the event of that sort of need. But I think that building an alliance for trade and friendship between our two peoples would mean much to the people of Bravia.”

She lifted the glass of tea to her lips to take a drink, her eyes watching the Viceroy from Zion for his reaction.
ZionVR

Post by ZionVR »

The Viceroy grinned a bit. "Perry isn't bad... but isn't nearly as good as cider. If you ever make it over to our home, you'll have to come to dine with us and enjoy the sampling. After all, it would only be fair. I don't know much about your family, but any whom you wish to invite would be welcomed," he stated with a smile.

Hearing the words "simply live in peace" made the Viceroy chuckle softly without even thinking about it. To him, there was nothing simple about living in peace. Hearing that phrase in his home would make others laugh as if a joke, but he had a feeling she was serious and tried to keep the amusement to himself. "Forgive me, if I sound offensive for chuckling a bit at the simply live in peace. It is not a luxury I have known in my life. Perhaps generations down the line peace will settle upon my Viceroyalty. Like Bravia, we have others who desire our land and our home. Our biggest enemy is Puria. They have not been successful in a bit on taking our land, but that does not mean that they do not heavily watch for any sign of weakness. Their ruler has made it clear that they have no issue with taking back what they consider as theirs," he stated.

"Perhaps the Elf that orchastrated the loss of Cork is similar in that way. I am not sure that I could have let someone take what's our like that, but my father did mention that there are times to analyse acceptable losses. Sometimes it's better to lose something that was never really fully yours so it doesn't infect the rest of your home. It is good to hear you turn the loss into something very positive. I assume the peasants enjoying the visits as well," he commented taking a drink of the wine.

"I believe talking with you that Zion and Bravia could be allies. As far as military goes, we wouldn't be able to send much that would be helpful because of the long journey. However, a trade alliance could be most beneficial to both parties. Friendship as well. I would be amendable to having a treaty to Bravia whether official or unofficial. Friendship is something that would mean much to Zion. After all, it is better to know where someone stands than to find out the hard way," he commented.

"I believe this might be a good time for the item I asked for your people to hold on to," he said to her.