Approaching Elections

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Ambrosia

Approaching Elections

Post by Ambrosia »

People of the Republic,

The next election is approaching to a Republic near you..or...uh..actually the only one here! If you would be interested in serving on council this next term, please contact me or simply reply by letter.

Sister to Dahlia, Zuan, Zhou, & Serafina. RIP Razen & Cara (Trinity)
Great-great-great-great-great granddaughter of Rannek
TY Aishe for the banner!
Ambrosia

Re: Approaching Elections

Post by Ambrosia »

The day of elections approaches, and so far is the confirmed list:

1.Camelia
2.Angry Librarian Cow
3. Ambrosia

Plenty of room for newcomers to the council! There are a few on council currently, that aren't confirmed for another term. I'm terribly afraid to leave the Republic in the hands of Camelia's chickens (even though there is an angelic one named Ambra), and an angry cow.
TY Aishe for the banner!
Artemus_Zephaniah

Post by Artemus_Zephaniah »

I see no evidence of any manifesto, policy, or any sense this list is even alive.

What do you stand for? Who are you?

I feel like the people of Bravia need to know who these shadowy people running unopposed in this election are, and what they mean to do once in power.

What are you, secret dictators?
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

We are the Republic.
We are the council.
We are perfectly normal citizens that don't conversate with angry librarian cows.
You are one of us.
We like you.
TY Aishe for the banner!
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

"And here I was going to go with the "We are Legion, for we are many" line," Nocturne chuckled softly. "We are a republic, the will of the people is our duty. The people have seen changes and recoveries from the attacks that had come into our borders in the past sessions, and our economy spiked. I have been in Bravia City, so I have witnessed it here, but those sort of things do continue. As I have chosen not to run on council, I do not have answers for you regarding their aims or 'manifestos' as you would call them. Perhaps the better question is - why didn't you apply? If you are upset about the council running unopposed, again, we're a republic, and anyone is able to put forth a name for council. Both mayors sent out a multitude of requests asking for those interested in council to submit their names."

The nether beast tilted his head to the side, "So my point being: don't be up for complaint if you haven't stood up to help, it comes off very insincere and even rude, much as this will likely come off to you, far as I analyze, at my pointing it out. I do get that you're a new arrival, so you're welcome to get to know everyone. Public posts are sometimes harder to fill in this realm, but I haven't seen a manifesto in any realm for a good while. So jump in, if you need to learn the ropes, many of us can help with that; however, I've put off my own honeymoon for far too long helping the recovery in what needed to be done. The VR is running smoothly and I feel I am able to take term off and enjoy it with my wife and child. If you have questions, feel free to ask them of the incoming council - if there is something I can answer this last day, I will try to do so, but I am not setting a one day goal besides leaving the office in better position than it was in when I started, that's all any of us can do."

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYE1LNj7EI[/bbvideo]
Artemus_Zephaniah

You may like me, but I have neither interest in liking or disliking you. You wish to be a public servant, I wish to know why you seek that and what you hope to do with it. Is this such a bad wish? From my experience angry librarian cows can be the finest sort of conversationary partners, who doesn't like a good debate followed by a sizzling steak?

You are indeed correct, for I have just arrived, without the means, money or contacts to run for political office.

You spout a deal of nonsense of 'other realms' and the lack of manifesto's there and that its therefore fine for this land to be the same. By extension, if it were perfectly legal for me to rob people of all they own in my homeland, should I do the same here and face no repercussions?

I wish you a happy honeymoon, and agree that leaving the offices in a better condition than they were entered in is a desirable goal.

But why shouldn't those who seek these offices explain their specific goals and why they desire the power?
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Perhaps in this quiet province one might sum up the answers to your questions thusly:

We (well, not me this round as I am taking a break) are Bravians and wish to serve Bravia as best we can. No one else has chosen to run against us (alas) so what you see is what you get. If we did not run for office, there would be no government, corruption would skyrocket, the animals would stop eating and breeding and start to die, and there would be no trade.

It's always good to meet new people and I do hope you will get to know your neighbors better before accusing them of being secretive or power hungry. There really is far more work than power involved in keeping the government running. If you are looking for power, you have to look no farther than one of the other two provinces, both of which are ruled by a monarchy style of government. That style of government has advantages, to be sure, but also holds the lure of power much more strongly than a democratic Republic in my mind. Of course, as I've never lived anywhere except Paz, I really do not know whether that is the case or not. I know that there are a lot of wonderful, hard working folks in all three provinces regardless of what style of government they choose.

As for why us (present company excluded this term)? We are willing to serve. We are not an exclusive members only club, either. Opportunities are opened for any Bravian citizen to jump on board and become one of the few willing to work for Bravia in a governmental capacity. Why do we not list a platform? If there were more than one list, I'm sure we would. As it is, we work very hard behind the scenes, keeping the mines going at levels that benefit Bravia as a whole the most. We keep the animals alive, healthy and breeding so that our ranchers have them to purchase. We keep working to maintain a healthy treasury so that we have the ability to help Bravians progress in their life goals (ergo assistance programs). We maintain the court system on the rare chance that someone will actually break a law. Bravia is a peaceful place and the people of Bravia tend to all work together so that the towns and province can prosper as the citizens progress in their paths and prosper.

I fail to see how any of that can be equated to being power hungry or secretive. The general populace may never know all that goes on behind the scenes for their benefit, but I can assure you that all we do is done for Bravia, not for our own gain.
Artemus_Zephaniah

Thanks for responding.

As it is now known, you are doing a fine job of governing. But it wouldn't hurt to outline some of these messages at election time, perhaps even wrack your brains for something for or original to do for a change.