Question before I decide on POLL...

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Mallory

Re: Question before I decide on POLL...

Post by Mallory »

People were asking questions, and more were called for, and Mallory had questions. So she stepped forward, and tried to stand tall. She hadn't addressed any real issues in her time here, she'd only kept her head down, tried not to get in the way, not cause waves, but someone had pushed her under the waves, and she came up fighting. So, she raised her voice and called out,

"Nocturne, I believe I heard you called, you speak of apathy in the council and abounding. As a part of the former council(s) what actions did you, Nocturne, take to break that apathy? What discussions did you lead? What actions, specifically, did you take? I'm truly curious. " her hands moved as she spoke and her eyes were bright, seeking information. She liked to learn, liked to understand things. If people complained of something she often wondered what they had done to make a change, so that she could understand if they were truly wanting to make changes, or if they were simply complaining.
"For example, the elected council did vote on the Monarchy issue on July the 16th. Yes, that's almost two weeks ago, and it's just now being pushed to a straw poll to aid the people in getting things done." ~ Qoute, Nocturne
She carefully quoted his words, looking at the notes in her hand she'd written, she kept it as close to word for word as she could. Then she thought a moment wording her question, Okay, Sir, you say the council voted on the Monarchy issue. Great! That is truly good news, the vote that is. However, that was, at the time of your speaking just shy two weeks ago. It's just now being straw polled. I can see that being an issue, but tell me? Did you mention it needed doing? Or push in council for it to be moved forward? Before your revolt, I mean. She was expressive, and working to contain the curiosity in her voice, trying to not let the emotions show through as she thought over the reason she had decided to step forward in the first place.

Another question, if you please. I don't really know a soft way to start this. Forgive me if it doesn't sound quite right. Now, you state, the following
"The revolt in the castle was a sanctioned revolt, to aid the VR when Viceroy Varann needed a break, and we were already down multiple councilors in activity." ~ Qoute by Nocturne.
Somehow several people seem to believe you took the castle alone as a test. However, I know that to be untrue, and so do you. So I'm not sure how they got this false idea. Perhaps you thought you were working alone when you turned my focus from protecting my town, in which there had been a fairly recent revolt, to helping you with your revolt? She looked at him, truly and knew her eyes flashed anger, she was hurt, and she was angry over this. She had in good faith, in a good support, and in trust of the leadership of both Bravia City and Bravia done her duty to keep her new home safe.

She also felt it only fair to give him a chance, to let him show his evident to the people who clamored for the truth of the matter, no matter which truth it might be. If it was sanctioned please, do present that evidence, as you say we need it for any accusations, I counter that it would likely set minds at ease if you could provide "Pre-Revolt" dated permissions to revolt? Thus making it legal?

The next part was harder to address, because more than one person had made such claims. Also... as to legalities, you claim that people who say it was illegal are spreading falsehoods, tell me, if you have not yet, and I cannot see that you have, provided proof that they are wrong, and you cannot appease the cries of the people, how can you possibly call them falsehoods? At this point with no proof that it was, indeed, sanctioned this revolt does look quite illegal. From a standpoint of what information you've presented, other than, trust my word. I don't know you, I don't' trust you. I don't' really trust anyone. So I am going to need actual, hold in my hands proof. she held her hands open and wide out in front of her in a gesture of seeking.

I'm sorry I don't know you have a calling other than Nocturne, so I shall hope I don't offend you by calling you Nocturne, I should have asked earlier before putting questions to you. Forgive me? But still, Nocturne, I do have these questions, and I would dearly like them answered. she spoke with a slightly rushed clarity in that moment, sincere, and honest in her words, she was ashamed that she had not kept to her manners.

Oh, you've not been introduced to me, but I do well know your name. I am Mallory. I am a woman who is learning a new home that I now no longer feel safe in, nor can I trust most of my leaders because it seems some blindly accept actions without questions and then seek to silence those who ask questions, at least one person on your council has done so. And I await whichever others do, yourself included. After all, as I have pointed out, what proof have I of anything positive, but the notice that the leader I unwittingly followed forced me to revolt against a castle I spend 1/3 of my time defending, that does seem damning in my young eyes. She stated her final remark to him, for the moment, at least. Perhaps he would think over them, take them at their value, and answer her sincerely and honestly.

She turned to face the other person, to address this, what had she been called, Amaelia? Amaelianna? Yes! That one. Now, to you... I think I heard you called Amaelianna, you said, and I can quote, as I wrote it in my notes,
"And as a matter of clearing up another issue, Aishe, continuing to call Nocturne's actions illegal, will only continue to cause dissent among our citizens. If you wish to see the nation progress, try getting over your personal issues and maybe take an active role in the city you are acting mayor of. The VR and all of our citizens will benefit more from action, than your empty bitter words." ~Quote Amaelianna
Forgive me, Amaelianna, but how, pray tell, do you expect change and action if people cannot question things that have not been clarified? I called it illegal, because I have no proof otherwise, and well, revolts, without proof of permissions, are, well, illegal. So, if you are going to be one of the leaders of this place, you might try not attempting to silence those asking questions. It's questions that inspire change, and ensure things are kept honest.

She faced the pair she had questioned as well she could, with what little knowledge she had of the events, so little had been given, publicly, at least she hoped it was being discussed behind closed doors. Waiting was hard but she stood and waited, quietly, for the answers. It had been easier to keep things in once large statement and let them answer her as they would, or rather if they would, as it seemed some weren't fond of questions.
Redkipp

Post by Redkipp »

You know, I do believe that lot of this could be avoided if Nocturne bothered to warn people about revolt...
Also, should we really be discussing legality rather then actual good and evil brought by the actions? Nocturne indeed tested castle's defenses and have given Varann a break.
Mallory

Post by Mallory »

The defenses were tested, however, not by him alone. He gave her a break, but as of yet no one has anything but someone saying permission was granted. Varann has even spoken on a few subjects, but no one has cleared this up. And yes, legalities matter, as do good and evil.

The castle not being defended was luck of the draw on the day. I am not much, but I do defend it every 3rd day for the most part, though my rotations have messed up before.
Amaelianna

Post by Amaelianna »

Mallory wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pmShe turned to face the other person, to address this, what had she been called, Amaelia? Amaelianna? Yes! That one. Now, to you... I think I heard you called Amaelianna, you said, and I can quote, as I wrote it in my notes,
"And as a matter of clearing up another issue, Aishe, continuing to call Nocturne's actions illegal, will only continue to cause dissent among our citizens. If you wish to see the nation progress, try getting over your personal issues and maybe take an active role in the city you are acting mayor of. The VR and all of our citizens will benefit more from action, than your empty bitter words." ~Quote Amaelianna
Forgive me, Amaelianna, but how, pray tell, do you expect change and action if people cannot question things that have not been clarified? I called it illegal, because I have no proof otherwise, and well, revolts, without proof of permissions, are, well, illegal. So, if you are going to be one of the leaders of this place, you might try not attempting to silence those asking questions. It's questions that inspire change, and ensure things are kept honest.
It was true what some of the whispers had said, she could have a red hot fiery temper, one of the perks of being an elemental. Ami imagined patting the fool on her pretty little head, but kept the action to herself. "This explanation has been repeated over and again, to the point that it would equally relate to continuing to beat a dead horse, and to be honest, I absolutely loathe having to repeat myself to people who didn't pay attention the first time around. The proof has been shown multiple times. And I dear, dear child, have yet to silence anyone. Look to your notes again, and actually pay attention to them. Words do not make changes, actions do. Bitter little girls spewing hate, act to divide the nation. As for me and my role in our system of government, have made giant strides in my time in office. In so long as the petty nonsense continues, I will have no part in it. I have, however, set the next finance minister up with a list of programs that benefit our citizens, and our government, in a symbiotic relationship. Should the one to take my place let those slip, then they will have doomed to country to failure. It is not my job, henceforth, to clean up their messes."
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Noct's full self returned, stepping beside the shadow he'd left in his image to absorb the goings on and questions. The crimson orbs focused on Mallory for a bit, considering how very much it seemed that she wasn't listening to the goings-on. The Xanthareels had been distracting both of them most likely, and when he returned the next day, he had already spoken with the woman in letters, "Mallory, you are younger here, and have missed much, but I appreciate your involvement and presence. You also speak as you've known my actions here longer than your age shows in your personal letter to me. While this interests me, I have addressed those concerns with direct reply to you there, but I also do have to request this area be left to focus for those with questions regarding the differences of the monarchy and the republic forms of government for the poll. You have taken your concerns with the law to the office of the prosecutor, as have we all. So now I watch for her to do her job...though she has asked to be recused. Likely it will take the actions of a next council, as most have cause to recuse themselves currently, so we await the list building a tenth councilor."

Shadows would form his prior words and whisper them aloud.
Nocturne wrote:While there is much else that can be discussed, this isn't the place for it. So please, focus here on the meeting and questions that were asked, regarding the monarchy. If you feel a law has been broken, then by all means, FOLLOW THE LAW rather than bicker. Take it to the public prosecutor..(sic).. Back on topic.
Ssast

Post by Ssast »

This one is in support of a monarchy. However, as the creatures here are supposedly* used to a representative government, will there be laws in place that allow for the removal of a monarch who - shall we say - acts in a manner unbecoming?

*This one says "supposedly" due to the strange lack of voting or taking charge from those who claim to care about having the option to do so. It is always the same handful of citizen-creatures who actually do take action. Is it any wonder that current and past councils may be...the saying is 'burned out' yes?
Varann

Post by Varann »

I had made the suggestion of a constitutional monarchy.
The idea being that the constitution would be able restrict the potential abuses of the monarch by clearly stating the rights and responsibilities of the monarch, council people and the people.
Amaelianna

Post by Amaelianna »

As we all are aware at this point, I approve of the switch to an elected monarchy, as we have discussed it. All of us are fallible, and the idea of an elected official, who can be replaced by a vote of the people, is ideal. Each office working together, and being given the responsibility to act without having to wait on a full vote of council, but still being held accountable by the whole, will get more things accomplished.

In the short time I have been in office, I have already brought our freznic vault to max, and have had to issue yet another security grant so that we can continue to grow. I have currently, nine contracts between both Paz and Bravia City, that will enable us to be of more service to all of our citizens, not just the well established.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

A message is delivered from the office of the People's Representative:

The poll to determine the people’s preference for changing Bravia’ style of government from a Republic to a Monarchy has concluded as of August 1st. Here are the rules concerning such a change according to the mages:
Government Style Change Policy (Updated: January 25, 2011)
Secfenia is a dynamic world that has the ability of it's people to select their Viceroyalty's government style. To change it, the Leader of the Viceroyalty must approve the style change as well as have a two-thirds or greater result favoring the style change done in an IG Viceregal Straw Poll lasting 5 days. The Mages will then either process the request or may deny it at their discretion. However, if the government style is changed, the election clock will be reset to 30 days if it is higher than 30 days
The poll results are:
The Viceroyalty of Bravia is a Republic led by Nocturne
Viceregal Polls:
Poll Question: Should Bravia change from a Republic to a Monarchy style of government? (Ends Aug 01, 1657 at 6:20 pm)
Results: (Total Votes: 39)
• Yes - I think a monarchy is a reasonable idea (51.28%)
• No - Bravia should remain a Republic (41.03%)
• Abstain - I just don't care (7.69%)
According to the mages rules, the measure has failed at this time.

I would like to point out that slightly more than half of those who voted approved of the idea of a monarchy. I would suggest to the new Council that perhaps they revisit the issue and if the Council is still in agreement with the prospect, bring it out to the public for more discussion. Allow the citizens of Bravia to ask their questions, get answers and express their concerns on both sides of the issue. After this has been done, Council can decide whether to bring it back to a vote by the people. If that vote is little different from this, I would say the matter is settled. If, however, he measure achieves the 2/3 majority required for the mages to decide, then it can be sent to them for that decision.

In the meantime, and particularly if a new vote fails a second time, Bravia needs to remain awake. Many of you have awakened due to recent events. The question is – will you remain awake? Will you become engaged in your province? Or will Bravia be lulled to sleep again after a few weeks of peace? For Bravia’s sake, I hope you remain awake, alert and engaged. That is desperately needed at this time.
Ssast

Post by Ssast »

Only 39 votes out of how many creatures living here? Would the results be any different in a message-based poll; or from the town hall? Some creatures cannot be bothered to go up the hill to the castle. Of course, some creatures also cannot be bothered to go to the town hall for more than a job posting...