Should our government be a Republic or a Monarchy?

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Morjiana

Should our government be a Republic or a Monarchy?

Post by Morjiana »

This has been the question in front of us for some time. The recent poll did not pass, but the council has continued to discuss the question and the issues that brought the question up in the first place, with the understanding that at some point, there will likely be another poll when we have laid a better groundwork for it.

In brief, when creatures agree to list for council service, they are agreeing to two months of daily service to the VR. If we were able to run two lists, there would be better options for allowing creatures to resign if they were too fatigued by the demands of the work to continue for the full two months, but it has been a very long time since Bravia was able to summon that much interest in public service. The main benefit of a change to a monarchy is that it would make it possible for the monarch and viceroy to swap creatures in and out of office with much greater flexibility because those creatures would not need to be elected first: we could draw from any creature in the VR.

My own great concerns with this proposal are twofold. First, it would do nothing to create more skilled, or even unskilled councilors for the work, so I fear we would face the same problem with the addition of a new office to fill every three months in the form of the new monarch. Second, I would be concerned about making such a change without having at least an outline of how it would work going forward so far as our laws and the role of the monarch. These concerns are my own and are not representative of the thinking of every councilor this term.

Bravian citizens, my questions to you are these:
1. If we make a change to monarchy, what should the role of the monarch be? What limits on their powers or freedoms should be placed?
2. How could a change to monarchy be structured to encourage greater participation in the functioning of our VR and towns?
3. How should our laws be changed or maintained if we change to monarchy? (Please note there is a current vote in council for minor updates to our laws to close some loopholes and clarify some unclear phrasing.)
4. What benefits and difficulties do you see in each form of government?
5. Which form of government do you prefer? Why?
6. Would you personally be more inclined to engage in council service to the VR if we were a monarchy? Why or why not?

Information on republics and monarchies are readily available if you wish to know more.
~ Morjiana Sanchari of Chere ~ Seer, Busybody, Matriarch ~
Wyllow

Re: Should our government be a Republic or a Monarchy?

Post by Wyllow »

dbl post oops
Last edited by Wyllow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyllow

Post by Wyllow »

Morjiana wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 am ...

Bravian citizens, my questions to you are these:
1. If we make a change to monarchy, what should the role of the monarch be? What limits on their powers or freedoms should be placed?
2. How could a change to monarchy be structured to encourage greater participation in the functioning of our VR and towns?
3. How should our laws be changed or maintained if we change to monarchy? (Please note there is a current vote in council for minor updates to our laws to close some loopholes and clarify some unclear phrasing.)
4. What benefits and difficulties do you see in each form of government?
5. Which form of government do you prefer? Why?
6. Would you personally be more inclined to engage in council service to the VR if we were a monarchy? Why or why not?

The move to Monarchy should take place. Why? Because Bravia is known to talk about 'it' for years, rather than do. When you have a Monarchy in place, One person has the guts to say 'Do this', and motion should take place, rather than taking a committee to talk about maybe doing something, then voting on it, then maybe deciding to act.... and by the time this had been done? The point is moot.

As to the questionnaire:
Royalty is Royalty. Their function is in times when we need direction, and need to act quickly. They should lead the councils and direct where direction is needed, rather than letting a council stall because of discussions needing to take place. When you have a Monarchy, you put your faith in the one that rules that they will look out for your best interest. That doesn't mean things and laws don't get discussed, but when emergencies come up, what they say is to happen, goes, and a council has no power over telling THEM, what they can and can not order to happen. Their word is not questioned, as they have ultimate say. They stay in close contact with figureheads to ensure that things are running smoothly. Towns and Governments work closer, rather than independent.

Bravia's issue is it's lack or will to act on anything... This is a problem, because the current laws have restricted themselves to discussion before anything can be acted upon. Bravia gets hung up so much on whether something was lawful, that it loses common sense. A perfect example:

A revolt takes place. It was not sanctioned. So, a chat has to take place to see if it is agreed upon to replace the revolter. That makes absolutely NO sense. In order for the one in charge currently, to get the problem solved, it takes the whole council to chat and discuss when in fact, all that needs doing is for the VR head to contact the rightful mayor and just tell them to take over the town hall however which way they can. THAT should not be a problem, yet, you see people trying to say that if the council does not approve then it is not 'rightful' or 'sanctioned' Mayor taking back their position. It is this, these rules and laws, that have harmed Bravia rather than help bravia. It is what has had Bravia scramble and place inexperienced people in positions which has become so blundersome, I am sure people feel like they are banging their head against the wall. I will be the first one to say I have wanted to help, but I am not experienced in areas I should be to be in certain positions. Without people wanting to be in politicking, you are going to have many many mistakes as new people fill shoes that experienced people do not wish to.

What the top of the top says, that is what should be done when it is a time of urgency. When we take months and years to discuss things (Like this very topic has taken) it is what has made it so no one wants to be a part of council that takes so very long to do anything, that in 60 days it does nothing.... It is one reason people do not see a point in even being on a council if nothing gets done. Bravia laws, other than for the protection of it's people and figureheads, should not be so restrictive that a civil conversation and discussion can not meet a conclusion within a pre set time frame.

Councils should have an agenda every single time for their duration. When you don't, councils become stagnant and nothing gets discussed in a timely manner nor put in place. If topics are being discussed, the council needs to know that, for example: These subjects - A B and C will be discussed for the next 5 days, vote on days 6 to 8. put in place on day 9. Majority rules of cast votes, (of those that voted, whether or not only 4 voted, or 9 voted.) - That is assuming that you even allow voting to happen.

Not unless there was someone that was willing to be someone that could direct, have an agenda, and a set time frame duration on every single discussion that takes place, to keep the council active, and keep it on time with discussions.. and keep voting on laws and topics on a normal schedule.
balerion

Post by balerion »

I served at least a year on the Bravia council and have been Viceroy three times. I can assure you Viceroys such as Logo Idra and myself had no trouble issuing orders when we needed to. Viceroys need to be decisive. Bravia sometimes has the nature to suppress the power of the Viceroy, you see the result. Ultimately talking about taking back a town hall means you aren't permitting your Viceroy and General to do their appointed jobs. The Viceroy has just as much authority as a Monarch they simply have to use it.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

Post by Aishe »

balerion wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am I served at least a year on the Bravia council and have been Viceroy three times. I can assure you Viceroys such as Logo Idra and myself had no trouble issuing orders when we needed to. Viceroys need to be decisive. Bravia sometimes has the nature to suppress the power of the Viceroy, you see the result. Ultimately talking about taking back a town hall means you aren't permitting your Viceroy and General to do their appointed jobs. The Viceroy has just as much authority as a Monarch they simply have to use it.
This is well put.

The problem is, however, unless the Viceroy maintains their authority and activity from day one - the rest of the council may question such authority when it comes to a crisis and the Viceroy trying to make a call. The Viceroy needs to be strong. If they show weakness and/or indecision, the councillors will be less likely to follow them during a time when the Viceroyalty is in trouble.

This has happened in the past and it's always a possibility for the future. You have elected someone to lead you, chosen them above others - it's something that should be remembered during these times, but it is forgotten when the Viceroy shows weakness.

The Viceroy used to be the leader of the republic. Now, its seen as a useless figurehead. That needs to change - not the system, the perspective.

Thoughts from a former Bravian.
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
Katie

Post by Katie »

balerion wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am I served at least a year on the Bravia council and have been Viceroy three times. I can assure you Viceroys such as Logo Idra and myself had no trouble issuing orders when we needed to. Viceroys need to be decisive. Bravia sometimes has the nature to suppress the power of the Viceroy, you see the result. Ultimately talking about taking back a town hall means you aren't permitting your Viceroy and General to do their appointed jobs. The Viceroy has just as much authority as a Monarch they simply have to use it.
A great leader knows how to be decisive and a leader without ever allowing the council to know he or she is being decisive and leading the council. A great leader asserts His or Her power in a manner where by he or she can never be the fall guy all by him or her self. He or she knows his or her limitations and knows how to blame the whole entire council for actions taken.

That is a leader who is in complete control. When the going gets rough and tough, the leader states aloud and clearly, we All decided to do it this way and I decided to put it up for a vote and received permission from council.

Sometimes time is a factor so as Viceroy or Vicerine , write the councillors and send them to the chamber where their vote is needed asap. Explain in the letter that they have 24 hours from the time you wrote the letter to expediently vote or they will be considered abstentions.
banner by Aida j'Otun
Morjiana

Post by Morjiana »

Interesting. Lots of thoughts on the sort of leadership creatures want to see, but not so many thoughts on the form of government. I tend to agree with most of what's been said here, but I don't see a way that having a monarchy can guarantee the sort of leadership we want to see. Or is there a facet of monarchy that people believe will help to support or create the sort of leadership described here? In early discussions, there was talk about limiting the powers of the monarch if there was a change, which seems to me that it would perhaps work against the more decisive, more focused leadership creatures are describing as desirable. I have read foreign studies (OOC: RL research) that indicate monarchies tend to be more stable, economically and politically, and that the citizens of a monarchy tend to have greater trust in their government. Is that perhaps part of what people are speaking to in these early remarks?
~ Morjiana Sanchari of Chere ~ Seer, Busybody, Matriarch ~
Redkipp

Post by Redkipp »

From my point of view, the problem is not in the leader, not in the system, but in the led ones. The leader can be strong. The system can be perfect. But both won't do any good when people are too freaking lazy to do the thing. Heck, I'm the one of such creatures myself!
Seek the way to encourage or enforce people. No system will do any good till you find it.