[Discussion] Should Bravia become a monarchy?

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Alexandria

[Discussion] Should Bravia become a monarchy?

Post by Alexandria »

The Council would like to your know opinion about switching Bravia to a Monarchy, or continue as a Republic.

In the spirit of having an informed and knowledgeable discussion and subsequent decision, I've brought the information available about the Monarchy here as it is supposed to exist in Secfenia.
The Monarchy

Table of Contents:
1. The Rite of Succession
2. Authority of the Monarch/Council
3. Responsibilities/Positions
4. Nobility
The Rite of Succession

The Monarchy is governed by the power of the Monarch and their Viceregal Council led by the Viceroy. The Viceregal Council typically may contain 9 additional people plus the Viceroy. They serve at the discretion of the Monarch. A Monarch is selected once every 90 days in the Rite of Succession.

At 30 days until the next Rite of Succession, a person may register to claim the throne. It will require 200 freznics up front. An additional 800 freznics must be raised prior to anyone being able to pledge their loyalty for the candidate.

The pledging of loyalty begins on day 7 and lasts for about a week. Patrons will have their pledge counted twice. At the end of the Rite of Success, the person with the most backing becomes the new Monarch. In the event of a tie, the person who registered first becomes the Monarch.

In the event that the Monarch resigns, a new Rite of Succession will begin.

A Rite of Succession is considered stalled if there is not a single candidate fully paid for by what would be the 7th day. The Rite clock is returned to 8. For each day the Rite is stalled, the corruption will increase. There is also the possibility for each day that the peasants will sabotage the mines or even steal money from the coffers. It's best to avoid stalling a Rite of Succession.
Authority of the Monarch/Council

The Monarch is the executive of the state. They may grant powers to the Council as they see fit. As such, the governing body may select how laws are passed or what procedures may exist.

The Monarch typically is the moderator of the Council chambers and have certain functions in the IG Interface. However, the Monarch may grant special powers or privileges to the Viceroy. These could be any of the below:
- the members of who is in the council chambers in the forums
- the selection/removal of the Rector
- the selection/removal of Council Positions (General, People's Representative, Public Prosecutor, Judge, Finance Minister, Internal Affairs Minister, and Mine Minister)
- moving of the capital
Responsibilities/Positions

Council members should check into the forums and their offices (if they have any) every day. The council's operating functions are split between the various positions. Failure to check in and maintain them may result in various punishments including the reduction of clerical happiness.

Here are some of the responsibilities breakdown:

Viceroy: Can View Entire VR Log, Assign People to Positions
General: Can View Nodes Status
People's Representative: Communication via Polls and Broadcasts
Public Prosecutor: Files Cases in the Court
Judge: Gives Verdict on Cases
Finance Minister: Handle day to day Finances and has access to Fair
Mine Minister: Handle day to day Mine Status
Internal Affairs Minister: Breeds and Feeds Animals; Also in charge of Castle Upgrades

The Monarch/Viceroy may also add additional responsibilities as they see fit.
Nobility

The nobility is a social class distinguished by hereditary or honorary rank that possesses privileges and certain rights not granted to members of other classes in a society. Traditional membership in nobility is highly regulated by a Monarchy.

The noble ranks are (from Highest to Lowest):
Queen/King
Duchess/Duke
Marchioness/Marquess
Countess/Count
Viscountess/Viscount
Baroness/Baron
Lady/Lord

Additional titles may be awarded by the Monarch or their designated representative.

For comparison, here is the information on our current status as a Republic. We are, at this point, the only Republic in Secfenia.

I'm not entirely sure that Zach will allow us to change to a Monarchy even should we choose to do so, but one never knows until one tries. :)
The Republic

Table of Contents:
1. Election
2. Viceroy Selection
3. Authority of Council/Viceroy
4. Responsibilities/Positions
5. Titles
Election

The Republic is governed by the Viceregal Council and led by the Viceroy. The Viceregal Council typically contains 10 members that are selected by the number of votes that the list they were on received once every 60 days.

At 30 days until next council election, a person may start a list by selecting the Register for Council. It will require 200 freznics up front. An additional 800 freznics must be raised prior to anyone being able to vote for said list. In addition, the list must have the remaining 9 slots filled and confirmed prior to anyone being able to vote for said list.

The voting begins on day 7 and lasts for about a week. Patrons will have their vote counted twice. At the end of the election, each list will win the number of seats associated with the percentage won. The easy way to determine it is take the percentage and move the decimal point to the left.

In the event that someone resigns, the next person from the list that they were on will be on council. In the event that there are no more people left on the list, the spot will be left vacant.

An election is considered stalled if there is not a single list fully confirmed and paid for by what would be the 7th day. The election clock is returned to 8. For each day the election is stalled, the corruption will increase. There is also the possibility for each day that the peasants will sabotage the mines or even steal money from the coffers. It's best to avoid stalling an election.
Viceroy Selection

The Viceroy is determined by the Council within the next two days by a vote. During this time, the government will be in a transitional state with the old councillors in the government offices until the selection is complete.

There can be no ties in this selection. The tie-breaking procedure is as follows:

1) Most Number of Votes
2) Highest Charisma
3) Highest Social Points
4) Highest Intelligence
5) Highest Dexterity
6) Highest Strength
7) Oldest Player
Authority of Council/Viceroy
The Council is the legislative body of the Republic. They may select how laws are passed, what procedures may exist or what powers are granted to the Viceroy.

The Viceroy typically is the moderator of the Council chambers and have certain functions in the IG Interface. However, the council may select procedures or laws regarding how the Viceroy uses them. Some of these functions include:
- the members of who is in the council chambers in the forums
- the selection/removal of the Rector
- the selection/removal of Council Positions (General, People's Representative, Public Prosecutor, Judge, Finance Minister, Internal Affairs Minister, and Mine Minister)
- moving of the capital

Starting with r19, any councilor of the Republic could issue a Vote of Confidence after Day 50 and prior to the list election process. All councilors will be notified who requested the Vote of Confidence and will have slightly over 2 days to put in who they wish as Viceroy. The old Viceroy will stay in power under a new one is selected.

Also added in r19 is the ability for the Viceroy to call for a new election. This allows them to skip the rest of the term and start the list election process. This could be used for councilor inactivity.
Responsibilities/Positions
Council members should check into the forums and their offices (if they have any) every day. The council's operating functions are split between the various positions. Failure to check in and maintain them may result in various punishments including the reduction of clerical happiness.

Here are some of the responsibilities breakdown:

Viceroy: Can View Entire VR Log, Assign People to Positions
General: Can View Nodes Status
People's Representative: Communication via Polls and Broadcasts
Public Prosecutor: Files Cases in the Court
Judge: Gives Verdict on Cases
Finance Minister: Handle day to day Finances and has access to Fair
Mine Minister: Handle day to day Mine Status
Internal Affairs Minister: Breeds and Feeds Animals; Also deals with Castle Upgrades

The Council may also add additional responsibilities as they see fit.
Last edited by Alexandria on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
♥ Split Personality ♥ Sorceress ♥ Priestess ♥ Little Phoenix ♥ All Magick ♥ You be mixed up too ♥
Ssast

Re: [VOTE] Should Bravia become a monarchy? Or Stay Republic?

Post by Ssast »

This one would like to point out that a "Thing or Other Thing" question is not a "Yes or No" question. This one recommends either expanding the answer to "Yes, let's be a monarchy!" And "No, I want to have a say!" or simply change the "Yes" to "Monarchy" and "No" to "Republic". This one admits to being pedantic.

Of course, this one would also like to point out that only a very small portion of the population actually seems to care enough to answer polls, vote, or otherwise participate in government in any fashion. (As of my vote, only 8 have answered.)
Gorm

Post by Gorm »

As an FYI please note that anyone on the forum is able to vote here. (I just voted undecided please ignore that single vote)
balerion

Post by balerion »

As a kindness I'm going to point out that this can be voted on by any squib from anywhere, whereas a VR poll IG would be secure and safe from outside influence.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Gorm

Post by Gorm »

Har I can even make a dragon slip on my magic banana peels when trying to ourtun them to post!!! :lol:
Alexandria

Post by Alexandria »

This will be information thread so that Bravian can make a informative decision.
♥ Split Personality ♥ Sorceress ♥ Priestess ♥ Little Phoenix ♥ All Magick ♥ You be mixed up too ♥
Vulpini

Re: [Discussion] Should Bravia become a monarchy?

Post by Vulpini »

This is worse than Brexit (and that says a lot) ... we are revisiting this only what seems a couple of months after a vote to swap the other way.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

No swap was done. The councils both voted in favor. I suspect a lot that left had voted against prior to doing so. A VR Poll is the method used to change by magi code. As Alex has stated, this is to be an informative session here. Especially with a vote anyone can participate in, amusing as it may be.
Morjiana

Post by Morjiana »

The most recent Viceregal straw poll concluded without meeting the criteria to change our form of government. I wish to extend my thanks to all those who participated in the ongoing discussions about this, and who voted in the two recent polls. I do not plan to pursue a change of government any further unless citizens are able to bring new ideas or suggestions to the idea that might help the proposal to proceed. The current council term is drawing to a close, but in the next council term, one of our agenda items will be looking for and implementing ways to revitalize our Republic and promote greater engagement in the affairs of the VR and our towns.
~ Morjiana Sanchari of Chere ~ Seer, Busybody, Matriarch ~