Inept sheep farmer looking for assistance.

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Silence

Re: Inept sheep farmer looking for assistance.

Post by Silence »

OOC:

Here's one tip for you. If you hire for 16, a peasant will eventually take your job. It takes a bit longer, but might help you to cut down on the expenses.

Also, working your town's resource (forest, orchard, etc.) is probably the fastest way to gain money for newer players.
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

okay, Ill try that out. Thank you very much for the tips and advice!
Gorm

Post by Gorm »

Once you get a little strength built up I would recommend you consider saving up and buying an axe. There are several peasant forest towns in Bravia and chopping wood can add to your wealth pretty quickly. Wood should sell easily for you although I agree you'll find fruit is probably the fastest selling item in this world most of the time. I believe Broccoli sells fairly quickly as well, especially if you find one of the local traders to deal with directly. Once you take to growing crops like wheat or corn , and are able to use the University , take the time to study the Horticulture classes. Some of the basic classes including Horticulture 1 and 2 are available to just about everyone starting at lower levels of advancement than in other worlds.

Always feel free to ask questions here, although questions like this that require OOC information actually have a place in the forums up at the top in the General Out of Character (OOC) Area called Help, Development, and Lore (which I will in fact move this to in the next day or two) I think you will find many people willing to help out, and don't hesitate to ask any Elder as well.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Bravia also has grant programs that will give you an axe to chop wood, and pay well for wood chopped in service to the VR. Which, in this case currently, you could mail me as the Finance Minister to get you setup with a grant with funding and aid while you chop!
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Just found this:
JDWizzle wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 am 1) So I bought 2 sheep for 25/sheep , when I got to the field it says sheep are 25F/sheep Well I put 100F in my storage and I cant seem to buy any more sheep... I still currently have 50F in storage yet the buy option just isnt there... Is there a shortage of sheep or am I doing something wrong?
It is best to buy them in sets of four rather than two, yes. I'm not sure why it didn't let you buy two more perhaps the VR had run out?
JDWizzle wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 am2) So I sheared my 2 sheep and obtained 2 wool. Yay! my first harvest... Yet then I look at the market to see what I should sell them for and Town Hall is selling for 5F/ball. This means either I offer for 5F/ball hoping someone buys mine instead of the TH's or I sell it slightly cheaper at 4.95/ball which comes to 9.90F made that day. This is a really small amount made in a single day as I can find a job that pays more or defend the cathedral for 35F/day.
Not that I want to discourage you since the other thread, but the price of wool in Fenia City begins at 2.25F (and the sheep cost 35F).
Your harvest may have been that small due to a couple of a reasons:
1. It is the off season, and unless you have the correct animal husbandry university classes mastered, your outputs will be less than during the on season.. The on season for animals is Autumn: September 1st through December 14th.
2. You didn't have your dog yet? Collies improve the output levels of animal farms.
3. You do not have a steward? Stewards occasionally improve the yield your farms.
4. You do not have a scarecrow. Scarecrows prevent wild animals from making off with some of your harvest.
I have a sheep farm too, and my yields are typically 12+ balls per day or at least 27F worth. The sheep also produce a few lanolin, an item used by masons to make paint, and ultimately brings the total daily yield to about 32F.
JDWizzle wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 am3) Maybe if I could buy 2 more sheep number 2 wouldnt be so bad but what if I hire the work out? If I hire someone I have to put a catching wage on the list as the job list is large and as I stated you can always defend the church or town for way more. So If I hire it out at 20F/day Im literally making no money. As again gotta sell the balls at >5F/ball. being that I would only get 4 balls/day this comes to 20F/day with this field? (Correct me if I am wrong please! I only just begun sheep farming and cant see how someone can make money doing it)
Nods. Most animal farms seem to more or less break even on their operational costs when owned alone.
They are more profitable if you have a workshop associated with the animial farm. Sheep fields are good for weavers for example whose items have a higher value then their component costs. For example, rather than selling 2 balls of wool for ~5F, I can make them into a pair of tiny shorts which has a minimum value of 20F. Chickens and cows are good for butchers and millers who can make meat or dairy products from them respectively.
JDWizzle wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 amSo with all that said it just doesnt seem very profitable to do sheep. Now the reason I chose sheep was because it was what the town recommended and I am all for helping the town out but I have to be able to eat (skill foods) and maybe buy a shirt at some point.
If it helps, the on season presently is for wheat. Wheat is the most efficiently producing crop for the next couple of months. When you gain level 2, it is worthwhile to take the horticulture and animal husbandry classes at the university. these let you extend the productive efficency of on season to off season. When you have them all, you can make maximum yield off of the same field all year round. Until then, it is sometimes best to change fields every season to make the best of the high productive crop for that season.
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

Also if you can find people like me that work for cheap and give away stuffs all the time.....

but for that you would need to move to Imperius as that is where I live!
Mother to Amara, Wife to Anessen, Guard of Fenia
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

Wow! I didnt read the last posts until now. Thank you for all the information I greatly appreciate it! I may try sheep again in the future and hope that I can find a weaver to work with so I can sell as soon as possible. Plus, by then, I will actually have my feet planted and be able to do other things to make up the loss of hiring someone to shear the sheep. In all honesty I just want to do whatever is best for my current kingdom Bavaria. I was going to leave because I cannot find feed for my dog but Ill survive and maybe someday be able to actually feed my poor dog Maggie...If she doesnt die of starvation first haha. Bavaria has done alot to help me figure things out. Thanks to Nocturne, PoBunny, and anyone else I do not know from Bavaria that I havent mentioned.

And Im sorry, this should have been in the OOC threads but I wasnt paying attention when I first posted.. Again sorry.
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

Hello everyone! I have finally made it to the point where I thought I would never be! However I need some help. I have finally gotten my stats to the point of leveling however, my worker points are really lacking. I am 11/25. I switched back to sheep so I can hire daily but no one seems to be taking my jobs, I am posting for 30F/day so if I could get someone to either tell me what they would like to be paid to sheer sheep or just agree to 30F/day for the next 14 days that would be very helpful. Thank you again for all the help prior to this post.
Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

Post by Aishe »

OOC: Unfortunately, there are only so many players compared to the field jobs. As you already offered, trying to find someone to work the job consistently for you is your best bet. The jobs eventually get taken by peasants and will still be worked, but you’ll have days of missed opportunity for worker points and it’ll take much longer. Whenever we (BDR/family) have fields that need to be worked for one reason or another, we tend to work each other’s fields over others to get things going. It can be difficult to find those that will do that though, even in a family setting. People have stuff to do!

The other option isn’t nearly as appealing, but you can work the temple/cathedral. It gives only 5f a day, but you also get a WP each day.
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
Rannek

Post by Rannek »

And eventually, when you master some skills, you can even earn WP by teaching at the university.
Banner made by one of my bestest internet friends, Aishe <3 | A Parting Glass