Inept sheep farmer looking for assistance.

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
JDWizzle

Inept sheep farmer looking for assistance.

Post by JDWizzle »

Hello everyone! I just got a plot of land and decided I was going to raise sheep. However, after the first day I just do not feel like it is worth doing. I'll post the problems and dilemmas I'm having maybe you can help me out.

Problems!
1) So I bought 2 sheep for 25/sheep , when I got to the field it says sheep are 25F/sheep Well I put 100F in my storage and I cant seem to buy any more sheep... I still currently have 50F in storage yet the buy option just isnt there... Is there a shortage of sheep or am I doing something wrong?

2) So I sheared my 2 sheep and obtained 2 wool. Yay! my first harvest... Yet then I look at the market to see what I should sell them for and Town Hall is selling for 5F/ball. This means either I offer for 5F/ball hoping someone buys mine instead of the TH's or I sell it slightly cheaper at 4.95/ball which comes to 9.90F made that day. This is a really small amount made in a single day as I can find a job that pays more or defend the cathedral for 35F/day.

3) Maybe if I could buy 2 more sheep number 2 wouldnt be so bad but what if I hire the work out? If I hire someone I have to put a catching wage on the list as the job list is large and as I stated you can always defend the church or town for way more. So If I hire it out at 20F/day Im literally making no money. As again gotta sell the balls at >5F/ball. being that I would only get 4 balls/day this comes to 20F/day with this field? (Correct me if I am wrong please! I only just begun sheep farming and cant see how someone can make money doing it)

So with all that said it just doesnt seem very profitable to do sheep. Now the reason I chose sheep was because it was what the town recommended and I am all for helping the town out but I have to be able to eat (skill foods) and maybe buy a shirt at some point.
JDWizzle

Re: Inept sheep farmer looking for assistance.

Post by JDWizzle »

Hahaha went to the travelers caravan and asked them a question!

Your Question: Should I butcher my sheep and change to corn?

Answer: It is decidedly so
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

Okay, I decided to slaughter the sheep and grow veggies. To me, at least right now, it seems the most profitable at this time while guarding the church as I only have to work 1 day for harvest and will get roughly 2 1/2 days of free food.

So if the moderator could delete this post or just leave it, obviously not many people come here anyways.
balerion

Post by balerion »

People do come here, but I assumed you'd rather hear from your own mayor or mentor than one of dem dere foreigners. I don't know the current market prices you have, but yes veggies or wheat will suit you better. Once you get some money saved up potentially consider a cow farm if you can pay someone to work it for you daily. Someone else working your farm will provide better harvests. For that reason it's better to work someone else's farm and have someone else work yours. If you want to make money simply put, don't guard the church. Buy a bucket, equip it, and pick fruit. Also bear in mind said fruit will likely sell at higher prices both north and south of your location.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

Where does one go to pick fruit? Haven't seen the option. Oh and I did mean for this post to go in my town forum. I must have misclicked something...
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Fruit is picked in the orchard of Bravia city as a daily action. If you're looking for more profit from a field, I would concur on veggies or wheat having a better profitability, and wheat giving more WP if you hire it out regularly.

I view Fields as a supplement more than wages to survive on. Let me know directly if you need a hand (IG Mail)
Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

Post by Aishe »

OOC:
How to pick fruit,
Town -> Orchard

As mentioned, a bucket will help you a lot with your harvest! Those can be purchased in the Market, made by carpenters.
Town -> Item Market -> Filter: Equipment

If there are none on the Market, message your Town Mentor for names of the active carpenters and you can then contact them directly to ask them to make you one. Name of your Mayor and Mentor can be found at the Town Hall.
Town -> Town Hall

Be sure to equip the bucket when you get one!
Me -> Inventory -> Equip (little shirt icon)

Most often, the Town Hall will buy fruit at a certain price, if your fruit ends up sitting on the Market longer than you want. Usually though, people are quick to grab fruit!

Town Mayors and Mentors should keep an eye on local town and Viceregal forums, but a sure way to reach your locals is an InGame PM! People who do not check the forum daily will see that. :)
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

Okay, thank you for the responses. I was told earlier that others are having a similar issue with sheep locking at 2 sheep and not being able to purchase more. I, being new to the World of Secfenia, dont know where to go from here other than switching fields.

I play alot of Renaissance Kingdoms and the games are very similar. I have a wheat field in that game and you are right I hire out the 3 work days to get rep points which here are worker points. But even then I manage to make a decent profit to be able to sustain my other needs, skill points, clothing, and tools for future workshop. All which are required for me to level up.

The big difference between the games are the amount of players playing. Here at any given time I see at most 14 people online. And in R-K at most in a day I see about 875 online. The reason this is important is so many people have needs where you can put jobs on the town hall for 15 pounds and make a decent profit and there are no left over jobs at the end of the day. Here you have to compete with 20 others who are hiring out and make wages almost near the 30F mark which nets no profit.

Its also way more challenging to level up here than there. It will take me maybe 10 months without over eating to level up here. And in R-K I am very close to the level 4 mark with only 2 months in just becuase its easier to post jobs and get those worker points.

Anyways, Im sorry I got off topic, I apologize.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

((OOC: Having not been a sheep farmer myself, I'd have to say that if there are spots for 4 sheep, but you can only buy two, it could be a bug and should be reported. Last I looked the VR had plenty in stock. I'll try to poke an elder to look into it since I don't wanna change field and see if I can replicate it myself right now :p

I'll respond to the differences OOCly because well, that's an OOC topic and one not really setup. Here it's very easy to level, and this "overeating" is part of leveling faster if you want to take the faster "path to power" so to speak, and you can request your friends in the temple to heal you. Our deacons and priests are great about blessings and healing when needed. You speak of 10 months for level 2? I'll assume you're kidding...unless you're eating only once a day, and single stat foods at that by mention of 'overeating'. Below is the BEST possible, where you'd be done in just over 1 month, but likely it also is too pricey for many:

Level 2 Checklist
Basics of Level 2 (Tutorial, done in a single day)
Hire Out Your Field (Hire once, again a single day)
25 Social Points (This can be built up easily without a month)
25 Worker Points (These can be built up by hiring, or working at cathedral, or other ways, you need 22 more, so under a month if pushing)
Post in Forum (Well, you've done this! But yeah, one day)
100 Charisma (This is a stat requirement, absolute speediest across the board at 3/day balanced stats would put you about 34 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Intelligence (This is a stat requirement, absolute speediest across the board at 3/day balanced stats would put you about 34 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Strength (This is a stat requirement, absolute speediest across the board at 3/day balanced stats would put you about 34 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Dexterity (This is a stat requirement, absolute speediest across the board at 6/day lucky bonus silver juggling would put you about 15 days, assuming you're at 0 at level 1)
Wear 2 Items (This can be done in a day just wearing cheap things)

Adjustments for more 'reasonable' setup with 4/day stats (Average 1.33 balanced thus)

100 Charisma (This is a stat requirement, at 1.33/day balanced stats would put you about 75 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Intelligence (This is a stat requirement, at 1.33/day balanced stats would put you about 75 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Strength (This is a stat requirement, at 1.33/day balanced stats would put you about 75 days for one, assuming you're at all 0s at level 1)
100 Dexterity (This is a stat requirement, assuming about 2 dex per day without lucky bonus would put you about 50 days, assuming you're at 0 at level 1)

If you need help with things, again, drop me a note. Sounds like you're anti-overeating, yet you want the rewards from overeating.))
JDWizzle

Post by JDWizzle »

I guess I didnt realize overeating was the way to go. I did it once accidentally, thinking I would get sick and die. I guess that was my fault for just assuming. Again I played R-K first and there overeating isnt a thing. But yeah so I calculated around 200 days with eating once per day a 2 hunger 2 stat item (50 days per stat including dexterity, forgetting that dexterity can be done daily as well as another stat) and then added a few. 10 months was a bit of an exaggeration even with this math is more like 6-7.

Hiring people from what I have seen is the most expensive part so far. The job market is in such high demand of workers yet defending the town of Paz is 25F, defending the Cathedral of Paz is 35F, mining is 20F. So unless you have players who realize that someone new around here just cannot afford to compete with the job market just yet and eat stat foods as well... I am probably going to be a loner who works at the cathedral and eats his own veggies 2/7 days and spends his 35F on meat for the other days, and will work his veggie farm for 1 sometimes 2 days a week. To switch from sheep to veggies costed me 30F to butcher sheep and 50F to change field. 30F was just to compete with everyone else hiring yesterday. I had to exchange 800 silver to 80F to do this and sell some items to the traveling merchant as I was trying to be a sheep farmer and shear my own sheep. It just became non cost effective for me.

But thank you for making me realize it can be done much quicker than 6-7 months or rather 10 months haha. That does raise the hopes up a bit, I really want a workshop!