Presidential Republic

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact

Should Bravia change from a Republic to a Presidential Republic?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

Aye
27%
Nay
64%
Don't Care
9%
Other: (Please post reasoning here)
No votes

Total votes: 11

Ambrosia

Presidential Republic

Post by Ambrosia »

Ambrosia nodded her head a the inner council's vote and in turn started to draft the letter to go over all the Republic.
To the living people amongst the dead,

We would like for you to consider a new spin on the current government. We would like for you to vote upon if we should change to a Presidential Republic. You might be asking yourself, what's the catch? What's the change? Every 60 days Bravia citizens would vote for their President to represent them, much like their current viceroy in public terms. The President must be one that resides within Bravia. Multiple Presidents can run at the same time. Only one will win with the majority vote. If the appointed council feels the president is not doing their job, they can decide a vote of confidence is needed to see if the President remains or a new one is given the office. If the President for any reason is unable to hold their term, then the Vote of Confidence would reinstate a new President. This would eliminate the lists and would also make it easier to switch out council members that might also be unable to fulfill their terms.

You will find polls at both the castle and town square for a formal vote. We will take both findings and see if you approve this change to the government. If you do or if you don't, I behoove you to wake up if you haven't already

Sister to Dahlia, Zuan, Zhou, & Serafina. RIP Razen & Cara (Trinity)
Great-great-great-great-great granddaughter of Rannek
TY Aishe for the banner!
Wyllow

Re: Presidential Republic

Post by Wyllow »

Nay.

Not sure why you feel you need to change the current system. Perhaps as the days go by, more and more of us will learn true intents.
balerion

Post by balerion »

The opening discussion was public for all to see. If you want to save your present form of government REGISTER A LIST.

I won't serve a second term here. I've done what I've could. Run for council and prove us all wrong.

That said having served 3 terms as Viceroy my proposed government change would create greater flexibility and permanently solve your stalled elections. Your stalled elections hurt the republic. Put an end to them one way or another. It doesn't matter how, but it does matter that you do.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

Wyllow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm Nay.

Not sure why you feel you need to change the current system. Perhaps as the days go by, more and more of us will learn true intents.
There is no true intention here when it comes to me. Perhaps you have a true intention, as you haven't taken any action to preserve your home. However, I respect your opinion to say no. As a Republic either way you do have the freedom of speech.
TY Aishe for the banner!
Mateo_Umia

Post by Mateo_Umia »

Forgive me I perhaps do not know enough of the mechanics or our current system... but it is not clear to me how the proposed new system really helps.

As I understand it and please do help me fill in the blanks or correct me....
Currently one creates a list of people whom will make up the council and elections are held at the end of the term in which the people vote to elect this "team" or another.
From this elected "team" they internally vote to elect their head who becomes the head of the government. The head then appoints the various offices.

The proposed system reduces said list to only the head of government or perhaps a vice in addition, to which the people elect. Upon being successfully elected they would then appoint the various offices as I believe they do now.

Thus I am not clear on how the new greatly differs from the present. Please advise.

EDIT: I saw mention of discussions about the new government being held in public but I do not see any unless it was just in reference to the funeral thread our Vicereine started.
Mateo "Lifesaver" Umia
Finance Minister, Republic of Bravia
Mayor and Mentor of Paz

ImageImage
balerion

Post by balerion »

It seems I was confused. My apologies. I have forgotten the means by which the Bravian forums are organized and I thought my post was in the Public Lobby. I can't share what anyone else has said, but I can share my own.

When someone resigns from the council presently there is no means to appoint someone new not on the list to an office. At present one of our members if filling 3 offices regularly. This is a stretch to say the least. The new proposed government would be able to fill an office with anyone capable of doing the work. Right now the Viceroy cannot.

These are my pertinent posts.
Presidency: One person is elected to be the President, Prime Minister, First Citizen, whatever you want to call it.

The Leader hires individuals to serve in office for money.

Term length: 60 days

This could be the cure needed while leaving the republic in the hands of it's citizens.
Ministers can be appointed at any time needed. Obviously the council system no longer works. Have one person run the whole thing and appoint subordinates.
It was also noted that in times past offering pay to ministers didn't help the situation so that part was nixed.

The other way this new government type will help is that it will end stalled elections. Stalled elections happen regularly in Bravia, and if nothing is done there will be yet another one soon. Stalled elections increase corruption and with upcoming changes will become more costly. Stalled elections should be avoided and this would manage that once and for all.
Shaker of Castles
Tuvoria

Post by Tuvoria »

nay. the people need more input and reasoning for the change and not from outside agents recently relocated to this area

Thanks to Teide for the banner
Mateo_Umia

Post by Mateo_Umia »

Thank-you so much for clarifying, a few more comments...

I see well I can see how not being able to appoint from outside the original list could be problematic. Either because of resignations or death. I would concur that needs to be changed. Rather than change the title I would simply keep the name Viceroy but eliminate the lists, and just have us elect the Viceroy. I'm sure its too late for that discussion, I dunno just the name President bores me ((( and feels too much like RL))). If not Viceroy perhaps something more creative, but I now support this government change. It makes perfect sense to me you elect the leader and then they appoint their council, cabinet, whatever. If there is concern over abuse of power then the next election cycle will cure it or they could be potentially overthrown with force.

As for pay in reviewing Bravian history I believe various councils have voted to issue pay from time to time I see no reason that couldn't continue. Each term the council/whatever you call it can vote on the matter if gratitude of coin should be given. I realize it may seem silly for folks to vote on their own pay but I see it more as the option is there and each council can decide if they want to forgo the remuneration or not. As hard as it is to have volunteers I would shy away from entirely striking it out. It could be written into law what the acceptable wages are so some council can't just wipe the coffers.

Stalled as in neither list received a majority or not enough names on a list or something else, I'm not sure of the context of the usage here?
Mateo "Lifesaver" Umia
Finance Minister, Republic of Bravia
Mayor and Mentor of Paz

ImageImage
balerion

Post by balerion »

There is still no list running for council. Is that not evidence enough?

Why have you not registered one? Make all the input you like. Breathe life back into Bravia. Stop failing your Republic. I've done all I could and maybe Nocturne was right about this turning into yet another failed attempt of revival. I do wish you the best. Good day.
Shaker of Castles
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

Mateo_Umia wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:22 pm
Stalled as in neither list received a majority or not enough names on a list or something else, I'm not sure of the context of the usage here?
Stalled as in there is no list running to take place of the current administration. As for the reason of a non existent list, It could be because there aren't enough people to make one. Or that no one wants to be the one to submit it. This makes the peasants upset, and has in the history of Bravia has been a problem. After the list is submitted it is voted upon for the Viceroy, not all the time is it the person who submitted the list.
TY Aishe for the banner!