RP - Chronicles of A Vampyr

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Wandress

Re: RP - Chronicles of A Vampyr

Post by Wandress »

She blinked in surprise at his question; it had never occurred to her to go back to the valley, she had only ever wanted to forget about it, as though that would free her mind from its torture. Her tail swished across the dew-dampened grass anxiously, and she immediately dismissed the idea. How could she return to the scene of her nightmares, the site of her life's slaughter? There wouldn't be much to go back to, nearly two years later the huts would have collapsed and the scavengers would have dealt with what was left of the fallen. She hadn't even stayed to give her Clan back to the earth. Her stomach churned with the guilt; how cowardly of her to have fled.

"I don't know, I don't think so. It would be too hard," she murmured softly, though it seemed less to answer Hephastion than to her own racing thoughts. Her arms wrapped around her knees, she rested her chin upon them as she watched the water flow past them. Just talking about that day had hurt her, she was afraid to find out what she would do when she had to face it. There was little she had salvaged from that life, the clothes on her back, the amethyst focus stone her mother had given her, a small comb and looking glass; small things that she found quickly in the ruins and fled. But there was so much more that was left behind, so many powerful artifacts and items of great power she should not have left. Perhaps they had been lost in the raid, perhaps they had been pilfered by scavengers while she had been gone. Or perhaps they were still sitting in the ruins of the village, untouched after all this time. "Maybe," she breathed.
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

Hephastion sat with her, he could hear her heart slowing again as she pondered his question, her initial answer didnt surprise him, he went through the same thing over thirty years ago, here in Paz, but after dealing with Modius, he had finally decided to face his demons and come back to the place which had changed his life forever, in all meanings of the word.

The two of them were sitting in quiet, he could still hear her heart, it changed pace slighty as she opened her mouth to speak, her answer or more how quickly she had moved on from No surprised him slightly. Sitting up, he leaned forward slightly, looking over her knees at her "Well, we can head to Bravia first, give you a couple of days to think about it and get things organised"

Moving onto his feet, he squats beside her, offering her a hand to help her up "I suppose you should probably get some of that precious sleep you mortals are so accustomed too"he offered her a slight smile, hoping his light remark would relax her a little, her mind would be racing right now. The prospect of revisiting a place that haunts ones dreams was daunting. So much would be going through her mind in that moment, he could only begin to imagine how or if she would manage sleep tonight.
Wandress

Post by Wandress »

She allowed Hephastion to help her to her feet and direct her into the cottage while she continued to run the thought of going back to the valley through her mind. She had not even really agreed yet, and already he was hastening her towards the trip. He certainly wasn't exaggerating when he said he needed to leave, she just hadn't realized he meant immediately.

Hephastion made his rounds of the small cottage, closing the window shutters to keep out the forthcoming sunlight while she headed for the pallet in the corner. Suddenly she felt very tired, and she wanted nothing more than to lay down and rest. Pulling off her robes she folded them carefully and laid herself down, and caught Hephastion's purposefully avoiding glance. Ah yes, she had forgotten about the man's shyness, and she quickly covered herself with a blanket.

The Vampyr took his customary seat and quickly went still and quiet, but sleep eluded her. For too long she stared up at the ceiling, her mind racing with the possibility of returning to her destroyed family home. Was she really ready to face that?
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

Sitting in the chair, his body relaxing, he tries to rest but Wandress' restlessness keeps him alert. Pushing himself out of the chair, he quietly makes his way through to the small room, his eyes cutting the dark as he moves closer to the pallet. Her eyes were open but she couldnt see him, she turned her head at the movement "You prefer some company to help you sleep Wandress?" she smiled softly, making room by her side for him.

Moving under the blanket beside her, he lies back, feeling slightly odd at sleeping in a bed for the first time in years, especially with someone else. Reminding himself for a moment that she slept skyclad, he smiles to himself realising how silly he must have seemed being clothed, while she was completely at peace shedding everything in front of him, he certainly wasnt shy or embarrased, but more to avoid any complicated situation arising between them, they were close friends and he would have to respect that bond.

Turning to face her, he offers her an unseen smile "Dont worry I wont bite" as he places an arm over the blanket and around her body, offering her some comfort "Thinking about it wont help Wandress, as I said, if you want to go, we go in your time" his tone softer as he assures her that revisiting her glen is completely her choice.
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

Through the night, Wandress tried to relax in his arms but all through the night he knew was awake, her breathing never changed and she moved very little. He wasnt sure if it was due to his idea or the fact he had joined her on the pallet, either would explain it. Just having the chance to be with her and enjoy her warmth against his own contrasting cold skin made him feel better about their friendship. As the night passed into morning he did begin to wonder if he would be able to leave her if she decided not to travel with him, he tried to push that thought aside knowing she wouldnt want to hold him back.

As the day passed he made sure she got outside to enjoy some of it while he rested properly, he couldnt expect her to remain fully nocturnal just to suit him.

A few hours later, she returned, the sun dipping in the horizon behind her, he squints his eyes slightly before offering her a smile "Hope you enjoyed yourself". He let her gather her belongings before they made their way back to the road to Bravia, "Who knows what state that temple will be in by the time we get back" he teased her trying to take her mind off things, she responded by clipping his leg with her tail, a slight grin on her lips as they made their way towards the town.
Wandress

Post by Wandress »

Darkness fell over the forest quite quickly as they made their way along the narrow path, much faster than the gathering dark of dusk. As they emerged from the treeline onto the main road the cause was apparent; the stars above them were all but obscured by a carpet of clouds, the air quivering with the tell-tale rumble of an oncoming storm. They exchanged a silent look in the gloom and set a quick pace towards Bravia, but gauging the frequency of the thunder, they wouldn't make it back to the city nearly in time.

The first crackling arc of lightning across the sky heralded the sudden downpour moments later. They were both saturated within moments, but at least they were within sight of the distant watchlights of the town walls. The guards at the walls didn't hassle them and let them through the night gate easily; noone in their right minds travelled the roads at midnight in a thunderstorm.

Her hair was plastered against her face and dripping with water as she pushed open her door to let them in out of the rain, Hephastion in much the same situation as he followed her inside.
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

Thankfull they had eventually arrived at Wandress' cottage, Hephastion gets about removing his soaking clothing while Wandress sets about getting the fire going. Even though he didnt suffer from the effects of cold or damp, he still had no love of wet clothing clinging to him. Hoping she didnt mind his state of undress, he grabs a blanket from her room and makes himself comfortable in the chair "I never saw that storm coming" a little surprised at how suddenly the weather turned "We probably should have stayed another night"

The only reason he had decided to head back to the town was so she could return to the Temple, she had been gone a couple of days already and people would begin to wonder where the Priestess had disappeared too if she didnt make a hasty return.

His thoughts turned to himself for a moment, he hadnt fed in a couple of days, and the weather would mean the guards would be less active this evening, he didnt want her to leave him for sleep but his need to feed would soon take a turn if he didnt remedy it soon.
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

18th April 1650

Wandress had been spending a lot of her time back at the Temple since we arrived in Bravia, I didnt mind as she would have had to catch up with her work in the few days she was travelling with me, but the day or two I hoped for has turned into a week or two. I am getting the feeling she is avoiding the subject of revisiting her Glen, but she may also be trying to delay me leaving. The town guard are becoming more difficult as well, most of the alehouse patrons are being overly careful these days knowing, or thinking they know there is a danger lurking somewhere at night. The guard are now patrolling the streets at closing, making sure the patrons leave quietly and arrive home safely. I wont let that deter me when I need to feed, but I would rather avoid the annoyance of disposing of a guard which will only lead to more questions and no doubt Wandress will become inconvenienced in trying to purge the town of such evil.

At sunset, Hephastion decided to take a slow walk towards the Temple, his mind set on telling Wandress he was leaving shortly. He had been too easily swayed by her visit to Paz, she had seemed genuinly concerned that he was possibly deserting her, but since then they had seen little of each other, Wandress spending her days at the Temple and himself out during the night. He had decided that nothing would be so different if he was out of the way and with the town Guards becoming more vigilant, it was definatly time for him to leave.

The doors of the Temple stood tall before him, the last rays of sun kissing the top of the oak frame before it disappeared below the horizon. Pushing the door open slowly, he entered the Temple and made his way past the iconic symbols and statues without paying them any heed. He felt nothing for such beliefs and in the thirty years since his embrace. He came to realise they were nothing short of mortal ignorance, their way of explaining the unexplainable through prayer and the writings of old men who had nothing better to do than pretend they were in touch with some higher being.

His eyes fell on Wandress as she sat with a scroll, putting his disdain for the Faiths out of his mind as he approached her. He respected her choice and certainly did not want to loose her friendship over a difference of opinion on what was right or wrong, and besides the Temple was her domain, that he had to respect above all else. Approaching slowly "You'll wear those scrolls out if you read them too often" offering her a sly smile as his eyes take on their familiar shine.
Wandress

Post by Wandress »

Wandress ran her fingers lightly over the inked words on the scroll in her lap, a faint smile curling the edge of her lips. "These scrolls will outlast us both," she said without looking up, only partly teasing. They didn't speak much about it, but she guessed they'd seen roughly the same number of summers, and barring some life-changing event, she at least could expect to see three or four hundred more; the ancient words in her lap were at least that old, and thanks to the simple wards she had placed on the document, it would never succumb to age. As she came to the end of her phrase she idly wondered whether the wards or Hephastion might last longer.

Without haste she unfolded her stiff limbs and stood, a novice hastening to take the scroll back to the Libraries. "Let me change out of these robes and we can get out of here," she said as she slipped her arm in his and guided him along the silent rows of columns in the temple. She knew he was not comfortable in such surroundings, but at least he was able to come into the building now. The human obsession with buildings was foreign to her as well; the dwarves could do wonderful things with stone, making pillars to look like trees, carving flowers and leaves and vines to make the stone come alive. But why they didn't just worship in nature itself, she would never know.

She was quick in shedding her billowing Temple robes for her own lighter Clan robes and ushered Hephastion out a side door into the night. They walked through the alleys silently for a stretch, each mellowing in their own thoughts while darkness settled over the streets of Bravia. "I've been thinking," she said, breaking the silence a bit hesitantly. In fact she had been thinking about it all week, since Hephastion had mentioned it at the cottage in the woods. It remained a knot in her stomach that make it difficult to eat, or sleep, or think. It was the unanswered question that hung over her head. "I think I should go home. Just to see it again, to get some...closure, I suppose."
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

Smiling to himself as she spoke, he wasnt prepared for that at all, expecting her to commit to to her duty at the Temple. The walk back to her cottage seemed easier, there was certainly less tension between them now that she had made her decision to travel with him.

All he hoped now was that she wouldnt change her mind between now and them setting off, which he hoped would be the next evening, he was all but ready as he was, other than some spare clothes he had left at her cottage.

Arriving back, he holds open the gate for her and follows her indoors "Wandress....I know the decision was difficult, but you know i'll be there with you" he offered her a weak smile, unsure of what else he could say to let her know he was proud of her, and he hoped that going back to her Glen would help ease the nightmares, he knew the pain would and hurt would take so much longer.

He was quite excited about leaving Bravia even if it only turned into a short while, he had been a drifter for thirty years and now having been in the one place for over a year, his urge to escape was growing. And now that Wandress, his only true friend, in fact his only friend period was joining him, even if it was for her own purpose, it made the prospect a little easier knowing he wasnt leaving much behind.