[RP] Into the Lion's Den

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Othniel

[RP] Into the Lion's Den

Post by Othniel »

The Great Cat prowled through the fragrant ferns, his steps slow and silent over the pungent soil. A light mist dampened the air, adding to its chill. The tawny beast leaped atop a mossy boulder to better survey his surroundings, ears twitching back and forth as he took in the forest sounds, nostrils flaring as he took in the scents, and golden eyes taking in the sights. A small snarl adorned his face before the Cougar jumped down and began to stalk toward his prey.

The Man sat amongst the stones, his back straight, his legs crossed beneath him, and his hands settled in his lap with fingertips and thumbs lightly touching. His eyes were closed as he breathed slowly through his nose, dew gathering on his dark beard as he exhaled. The mist caressed his skin, stroking the scars that adorned his bare arms and torso, and the necklace of claws and fangs around his neck. A sheathed sword lay beside him, a single crystal of clouded quartz adorning the hilt.

The Beast came closer, soundless in his approach, his prey unaware. He crouched, pink tongue sweeping out over his nose as he anticipated his meal. The Man was weak, he was strong. This was the way of hunter and prey, and the Man was clearly prey. With a snarl, the Cougar leaped toward the Man.

Golden eyes snapped open as a horse’s whinny pierced the air, rousing Othniel from his meditation. Slit pupils slowly rounded as the snarl smoothed from his face. He parted his hands and rose to his feet, flexing the fingers as claws slowly melted back into human nails. His breath was harsh as he spoke. “Not. This. Time.”

Long and graceful strides carried him across the woods toward his horse. The dark bay mare snorted and shook her head, pawing the ground as if to say “You’re being stupid tempting the Cat like that.” He spoke soothing reassurances that all was well. Even if he Turned, he wouldn’t eat her. He had that much control at least. It was good to have a mount and companion. His people held a great love and dependency on horses, wanderers that they were. Savinia was bonded to him from her birth and wasn’t as fearful of him as a horse ought to be. He still carried a trace of the mountain lion’s musky odor even in human form, yet she didn’t mind.

Mounting up, Othniel urged the mare into a trot and headed down the road toward the city. By the time he entered the gates, it was well past noon, and he was starving. “Hmm, where to eat,” he wondered nervously as the curse within him stirred wilder instincts in reaction to the crowd of people. Meat would be nice, but he doubted he had the coin for such in the city. Eventually, he found his way to a bakery out of the main thoroughfare. The aroma of fresh baked bread made his mouth water. “Mm. I haven’t had bread in ages.”

He patted Savinia's neck as he dismounted, pulling a folding leather bucket from a saddle bag and filling it with water from a nearby well before he headed inside. “Good afternoon. Might I trouble you for a bite to eat?”
Last edited by Othniel on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aishe

Re: [RP] Into the Lion's Den

Post by Aishe »

Her bakery.

She loved it, but she wished she spent more time in it. Before, it was all her Mayor duties or Council jobs. Now, it's her growing daughter and pregnant wife. Still, she relished the moments she spent in the bakery, breathing in the scents that smelled delicious even to her.

Smiling faintly, she continued to roll out dough as she heard footsteps approach the door. She didn't need to look up to know that she had a customer, although her door was fairly quiet to the average ear. So, as she continued the kneading of dough with her back to the door, she gave a simple nod to his question. Of course. You've got good timing, I just took a fresh batch out. She straightened up, rubbing her hands onto her apron as she went over to the cooling rack. As she carefully slid a loaf onto a serving plate, an unusual smell drifted amongst the sweet aroma of the bakery. She crinkled her nose, a bit confused what such a smell was doing in town as it was only something she had smelt further away, in the mountains. Why, sir, if you don't mind me asking, are you raising mountain lions or something? It was half a joke, though the smell brought back unwanted memories of Akos' rescue. She turned around, a warm smile on her lips to finally greet her customer.

The plate slid from her hands as her blue eyes grew wide. She could have caught it before it clattered to the floor, but she was too stunned to react. The shattering of class ring in the bakery. Blinking, she came out of the moment of shock, eyes immediately focusing and studying every detail of him that she could. The counter between them was a nice sense of security, though being a vampire and him seemingly human (although a very muscular one), she naturally figured she could take him if need be.

Who are you and what do you want?
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[ Art | Historian ]
Othniel

Post by Othniel »

Othniel smiled at the warm welcome, realizing the baker-woman was a kind-hearted soul. He also couldn't help but notice her fine figure, until her question about mountain lions gave him pause. He was certain that his scent could not reach her from so far away (though he did perform a quick pit check while her back was still turned.)

The lovely smile faltered to a look of fear as she faced him fully, and Othniel took a startled step back as the plate crashed to the floor. Were his eyes changing without his notice? "What? Do I have something on my face?" He tried to speak lightly, reaching for a small mirror in his belt and looking into the glass. Nope, they were normal, if that disconcerting shade of yellow. No whiskers - he ran his tongue along his teeth - nor fangs. So why was she frightened?

He slowly raised his hands, palm out to show he held no weapon. "I apologize, madam. I assure you that while I look like some wild savage, I have no intention of doing any harm or burning and pillaging. I'm a civilized barbarian!" He flashed a nervous grin, hoping she would take the joke for what it was. "I'm in town looking for my cousin and was hoping to get something to eat, maybe stock up on supplies. If you prefer, I can just go do that someplace else..." He slowly shuffled sideways and back toward the door and prayed she wouldn't call for the guard. An arrest really wasn't something he needed on his first day in the city. "I'll just be on my way."
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

Aishe wasn't entirely sure how it was possible, though she supposed stranger things have happened. Perhaps he had some sort of magic in his veins and was able to put himself in others' dreams. She shook her head roughly. No, that didn't sound right, it still lacked a reason to be her. Could it be more resurfacing past life memories? Her soul held so many lives. It seemed possible, but recalling the dreams, the lacked something too: that certain feeling to them. Undeniable reality. Her mind raced for answers, but his retreating steps echoed through her thoughts, which pulled her attention back to the fact he was leaving.

Without much thinking, she crossed the room and put herself between him and the door. Her eyes were fixated on his face still, brow furrowed in concentration. There was no denying that this was the same man.

No.. No, no, I apologize. She cleared her throat. She couldn't just let this man walk out. Surely, he was in her dreams for some reason. You startled me is all, looked uncannily familiar. Rubbing her palms against her apron-covered thighs, she offered an apologetic smile. My sincerest apologies. How about a loaf on the house? Or few, for that matter.. I really didn't mean to alarm you. If she were able to, she probably would have blushed in embarrassment then. Instead, she moved back behind the counter to retrieve another loaf, promptly placing it on a clean table, all in a matter of seconds. Would you like any toppings? I have all sorts of freshly sliced fruits, jams, jellies.. My daughter is fond of sugared strawberries on 'em. And I have water, milk, juice, tea, wine.. Whatever you please.

Eyes lingering on him for a moment, she went to retrieve the broom by the door to sweep up the broken plate. It was then that his words came to register. She looked at him, raising an eyebrow. A cousin? I know about every creature in this city. Perhaps I can help.. It's the least I could do. At the very least, perhaps knowing the relative may help her answer her puzzle.
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
[ Art | Historian ]
Othniel

Post by Othniel »

He was surprised at the second sudden shift, and tilted his head ever so slightly. He sensed no fear from her, though she did seem unsettled, nor did he sense deception in her gaze, but rather confusion. He awkwardly took a seat where she had placed the bread, then smiled at the woman's mention of her daughter. "I have a weakness for the strawberries myself, though I haven't had proper preserves in quite some time. If you happen to have cinnamon, that would be great too." Breaking the roll in half, Othniel inhaled the aroma and smiled. before popping a piece into his mouth. "Ah, nothing quite like a fresh loaf. There is no need to apologize, my good woman. It is clear that I startled you in some way."

He took another piece of bread, slathering a bit of butter and jam, devouring it and sighing contentedly. "Delicious! I may just take you up on that offer for more bread, but please, I insist on paying for it." He was a proud man who disliked feeling indebted to someone. "We can consider it a trade if you like. And yes, my cousin. I haven't seen her in years -She'd be about your age- but I heard that someone with her name lived in this city. I thought it would be worth a look. She probably goes by Aishe. Have you met her?" His head tilted curiously, his eyes hopeful. Othniel and his cousin had been close friends as children, often playing games and getting into mischief when their vitsas met at the various gatherings. The memory made him smile as he allowed the woman to think.
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

With a smile, Aishe nodded to the request of cinnamon. Setting the broom aside, she went to her spices to retrieve it, only to find it absent. She frowned and glanced around. Akos had been enjoying cinnamon lately, one of her latest cravings. She found it cute -- she didn't have a very needy wife at all, so the cravings were amusing. Spotting the cinnamon on a table, she quietly went to retrieve it as the stranger went on to speak about his cousin. However, when he said her name, she froze.

She turned to face him, looking at him in a new light. Cousin? She didn't recognize the man in front of her. It had been a few years since she had originally left the vitsa to find her exiled brother. She imagined their mother had since passed from the illness that had plagued her at the time. And in her time away, she had only sent one letter... Which wasn't a very happy one. She knew when she was turned into a vampire that she wouldn't be able to return. She would have been exiled herself or worse, killed. It was easier for everyone for her to just send a goodbye letter. Was it possible that they had sent someone for her? But she wasn't sure why they would... She couldn't return. Would her family be that set on her death that they would send someone to murder her?

Setting the cinnamon in front of her, she answered in a leveled voice with a smile. Aishe? Yes, I have met her. She was our Mayor for the good half of this year. Everyone knows Aishe. She was quite good at masking her inner thoughts and worries by now, though it wasn't something she had to do often. One thing for sure was that she had grown a lot since she had left the vitsa. She was very capable of defense and doing what needed to be done after Sethos's game. And while being a vampire may have kept her away from her family, it definitely had its benefits.

Aishe took a seat across from him, smoothing out her dress. Ironically, her more Romani clothing was at home, instead she was wearing a more average purple dress and simple jewelry. A better decision than she had realized. If he indeed knew anything of her, he would know she was a gypsy and her usual style would have tipped that off. Offering another smile, she posed a question with hinted curiosity. Cousin you say? I wasn't aware she had any family besides a brother, who was also here a few years ago. Though, he's been gone for quite some time.
[ Art | Historian ]
Othniel

Post by Othniel »

He heard a subtle change in her gait, as if she had paused and shifted into a defensive stance at the mention of his cousn's name. Oddly though, more subtle indicators of fear were strangely absent. Perhaps she was merely acting, or perhaps this woman was in better control of herself than the average shopkeep. "Really? The Mayor? Well good for her. I always knew she would make a good leader if she set her mind to it." He chuckled at the memory of the small blonde girl scolding him for being reckless with the horses after he attempted to perform a trick jumping from the back of one running steed to another, and having him follow her about in their younger games before he started riding. "She certainly bossed me around enough to prove it."

At the mention of her brother, Othniel nodded. Riordan and he hadn't spent as much time together, but he remembered a friendly lad. "Aye, well, our families only gathered together every few seasons so she probably wouldn't have mentioned me. As I said, it has been some years. I, uh, wound up spending a lot of time in the wilderness during my youth. Honing my woodcraft and...other skills. Now that I've just about mastered those skills, I thought it time to return to civilization." Normally he wouldn't speak so freely, for the Cougar was cautious and so was he. Yet there was something about this woman that made him wish explain some things. "My mother passed on years ago, and my grandfather just last season. Aishe is really the only family left that I felt close to. So I thought to find her, maybe catch up a bit, and... I dunno." Bare shoulders rose in a shrug. "I actually hadn't thought any farther ahead than that."
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

Every word he said rang through her mind as she put pieces together with his help. Bossy? She almost snorted at the comment. As more pieces fit into a larger picture, her brow furrowed in surprise and shock. Her eyes further studied him, wondering if it were possible. What were the chances... She pursed her lips. The more she looked at him in the new light, however, the more similarities she was able to pick up. Her face softened as he mentioned his mother's and grandfather's deaths. At that point, however, his identity became quite clear to her.

Li' ha' eer... She breathed, eyes widening slightly. Shandor.

Li' ha' eer... - By the gods...
[ Art | Historian ]
Othniel

Post by Othniel »

As he concluded his story, Othniel took another bite of bread while his hostess thought. He closed his eyes to enjoy the fresh flavor and sweet preserves, a small smile spreading on his face. The smile widened at her words, and he opened his eyes upon his cousin. "Sar'shan, Emi?" It was a nickname he used for her, and knew it would confirm his identity, for only he had ever called her that. "It is good to see you."

Sar'shan? = How are you?
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

As he spoke, she continued to stare at him, her surprise quite obvious on her round face. To have him in front of her wasn't something she had thought about in a whilst - she tried not to think of anyone from her life before Bravia, it was too painful to know she wouldn't be allowed to return home. Yet, a strong sense of joy was slowly overcoming her shock as she looked at him in a new light. She hadn't seen him in years, after he had left his Vitsa for reasons she didn't know. She had been hurt when he had left, for there was no goodbye said, and as time went on and he never returned or sent word to her, she had assumed the worse. She had even refused to speak his name per tradition, in case he was, in fact, dead.

You're not dead.. Aishe murmured. I thought.. That maybe you had died. And yet, you're here, with a beating heart and everything. A small grin pulled at her lips as she took a moment to listen to his heart, as if to confirm that she wasn't seeing ghosts. However, an eyebrow quirked upwards. A heart slightly faster than the average human...

She tilted her head curiously, icy eyes openly studying him once again. The scent of the mountain cat coming from you.. Her words were quiet, thoughtful. In a way, it reminded her of Scarlet and her wolf scent, though she was only able to smell Scarlet when she wasn't wearing her red cloak. It all made sense to her now, with the help of Scarlet as a reference. That's why you left, isn't it Shan? Because you turn into a.. Cat. There was a slight tease to her last sentence, but she grew grave with another realization. And now you can't go home, can you? Or do they not know..

Vitsa - Romani Clan/Group
[ Art | Historian ]