Viceregal of Bravia VS. Balerion in the Case of Treason

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
balerion

Re: Viceregal of Bravia VS. Balerion in the Case of Treason

Post by balerion »

With a smile Balerion walked to the witness stand and sitting on the chair promptly crushed it. Ooops... They just don't make them like they used to.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Grayson

Post by Grayson »

Grayson smiled, Thank you Balerion for permitting me these questions. Grayson gathered up his notes and began, As it has not been shown here and as per witness testimony the siege on Widu temple was not sanctioned by the council, I have a couple questions for you! As the current general of the VR? I wonder what you would do if you, as general of the VR, thought an army leader had disobeyed a direct order. Would you take action? If so, what?
balerion

Post by balerion »

Indeed it hasn't been shown as you say because it is quite impossible to interview the former Viceroy. Though it is quite clearly the case that not a single councilor of the 17th council objected to the blatant statement of what action would be carried out. Indeed another unidentified councilor went so far as to assist in the first revolt by casting a chaos spell. If one of my captains or soldiers were to disobey a direct order I would talk to them and the Vicerine about whether or not their army or army membership would continue to exist. If the offense were great enough I would strip them of their military position. If actual crimes were committed they would of course be prosecuted. This ever so new law that disobedience to the Viceroy or General is treason is quite laughable in my sight. By such a law I could go so far as to order the Judge here to declare me innocent and if he didn't obey he would be treasonous. Doesn't make all that much sense to me personally.
Shaker of Castles
Grayson

Post by Grayson »

Thank you General, I have no further questions! Grayson sat down and then began to cpompile his final argument.
Logo

Post by Logo »

Logo smiled wryly at the dragon's suggestion of a judiciary dilemma regarding executive orders and treason.
"Thanky'Ou, prosecreature Grayson.
The witness ... ehrm... iz a'seem silly askin' iffy defense wishes cross examinatin' ... izza have a chance for statementing inna closin' argumentses.... the witness may step down.

Imma like to thank all the cooperatative witnesses in this case for your assistances an' patienceses. This court iz grateful.

With a surprisingly subdued knock of his spiked gavel upon the bench, the troll continued, "The bailiff will instruct the clerical staff to reinforce this courtroom's furniture ... immediately.
Your dragonyness, the court apologizes for the chairistic insufficiency 'round here.

Now, gentle-creatures offa prosecutions an' defenses, the court will hear closin' argumentses.
The prosecution will proceed; the defense will follow.
Patron of a more astucious criminal class
Life maybe a game, but izza onliest life imma know
balerion

Post by balerion »

Lord Judge it seems I will be having a hiatus. I will return at the soonest available opportunity to give my defense after the prosecution as is proper.

{edited by Ruza to comply with CoC #14}
Shaker of Castles
Grayson

Post by Grayson »

Grayson looked over his notes and stood and began to speak as he walked the room. Your Honor and members of the court, We are here today due to the fact that General Balerion laid siege to the Templein Widu and there is no denying it, He has admitted it, What he has not proven was thatit was sanctioned by the Council atthe time of his siege, We have reports that he was told not to attack the temple and yet did it anyway, and did so with a bravian army. In attacking the Temple he did hurt a defender and did damage to the temple as well. The VR wishes restitution to the defender and the temple as well. The General is liable for his action and should be held accountable for such. The VR feels that General Balerion should pay a monetary retitution to both if would please the court. Grayson stops for a minute and then looks back at the judge, Prosecution rests your honor!
Logo

Post by Logo »

The troll nodded saying, "Thank y'Ou prosecreature Grayson."

Wiping residue of a recent mer-monkey snack from his eyebrow, the judge looked toward the defense desk. "Izza the court ... ehrm... "

Logo leaned toward a whispered conversation with a bailiff.
While visitors to the courtroom could not hear its details, the gist of the conversation was almost as obvious as the spiked-club injury that ended it.

The impromptu-gavel left red blobs across the bench as the troll continued, "Izza the court hear the finalizin' argumentses from the defendant ... as soon as izza majicked back from whatever void hazza been snuffled into."
balerion

Post by balerion »

Balerion emerges from a dank dark hole that suddenly appears above his seat bringing with it a scent of decay. Lord Judge the Prosecution has shown no evidence whatsoever that damages were made to the temple. Apology to the Priestess and an offer of restitution to Bekah has already been made. If the Prosecution would have even been able to contact the militia woman he would have found out that she declared the offer of restitution to be nice but unnecessary. Indeed it still has yet to be shown how any law whatsoever was broken. No person has ever in the history of this land been put on trial disobeying their General. Since the event took place new legislation has been passed that would make this a crime but I fear such a law is a mistake. Indeed it has further not even been shown that an order was disobeyed. General LBH1 ordered that no revolt would be carried out upon the Widuan temple without his authorization. Indeed no revolt was carried out, rather a besige took place. Perhaps in my assumption that nonobjection to open statement of intent to change loyalties of a temple was the same as approval was wrong. I still do not think it was, but others obviously see such differently. No member of the 17th council of Bravia objected to the statement which was then carried out. In the end here we are talking of events that took place 4 months ago in a land which is no longer even a part of this Republic. The prosecution has made the claim I am guilty of both treason and abuse of power. The charge of abuse of power might be relevant if I misused a position. However one does not need to be a Captain of the Bravian military to carry out a besige upon a temple. Indeed one does not need to have any office whatsoever to accomplish such a thing. As far as treason goes until very recent times there has been strict division between church and state within the Republic of Bravia. I have the longest service rendered as a Captain of the Bravian military and would not act against the Republic. Some of my actions have been seen as controversial but that is not the same as treason. Treason is the worst of possible crimes within the Republic. It can hardly be addressed by a simple fine as has been suggested by the prosecution. If you do find me guilty of having committed treason against this land I insist a fitting punishment for such a crime be enacted. Precedence of being able to buy ones way out of treason would be a horrible thing for the Republic. I freely admit that I acted against the Church. I desired to bring the Widuan Church under the sway of the Bravian diocese that Fenian influence would be lessened in the city. However, acting against the Church is not the same as acting against the Republic. I cherish Bravia as my home and wish for only the best for her. I hardly think a slight dimming of a church's aura cause for cries of treason, but my fate lies in your hands.
Shaker of Castles
Logo

Post by Logo »

Logo stared at the dark portal, straining for details of its construction. He thought ripples in the non-surface could be a clue to the strange magic. As it turned out, the ripples were just the dragon falling through, out, from wherever he may have been.
The hole evaporated in an instant leaving behind a most delicious aroma and balerion speaking the final arguments of his defense.

When the dragon finished, the troll rose from his seat and nodded toward the desks facing his bench. "The court apprecificates the effortses offa prosecrution and defencese ... anna patientses. imma return shortly-like withy decidifiaction."

Smacking his spiked club around the bench, Logo retired to his chambers.