[ORP] Pence for Your Thoughts

Where the people from the towns can meet and interact
Devereaux

[ORP] Pence for Your Thoughts

Post by Devereaux »

Trying to settle back into a life he had not known in over a millennia was not easy. He had forgotten more things than he remembered though truthfully it surprised him he recalled anything at all. Having spent twenty-odd years in the beginning as Roma, eleven as a wanderer and the rest as... Well... Something else up until very recently? Without Scarlet there to help he would have been hopelessly lost.

Devereaux leaned his head back against the rough bark of the giant cedar he sat beneath and gazed up into the branches. His long legs were stretched out before him and crossed at the ankles, and his hands rest across his stomach with fingers laced. The position was typical of him and anyone that spent any amount of time around him would know it.

He sighed and closed his eyes.

Which meant that he did not see Gunari’s approach. But he heard it. And he felt it.

The stallion poked his nose around the tree and stopped.

Gunari, for being what he was, was given absolute freedom; unlike the rest of the horses, he came and went as he pleased. Some of the caravan seemed to have a hard time grasping that concept because they continued to ask Dev about why he did not keep him in with the rest of the Vanners. To which he would tell them not to worry, Gunari would not run away. It was half true... His stubborn friend would indeed wander off if it suited him - But it didn’t happen often and without good reason. Because of his very nature, Gunari did not go far from Devereaux.

*You’ve been very quiet lately. I would stay, pence for your thoughts...* Gunari’s voice came in Dev’s mind.

*But you already know exactly what they are,* Devereaux finished the sentence.

He cracked one blue eye and cast it over at his friend. Gunari, in turn, lowered his head. Dev’s hand met the stallion’s head and gave him a few affectionate and well deserved rubs, scratching under his friend’s jaw and around his ears; places Gunari had a hard time scratching and always seemed to itch. He may not have technically been a horse but there were definitely things they had in common.

*Ahh... That feels wonderful. Do continue. Anyhow - You shouldn’t worry so much. You’ve always been too hard on yourself. It must be a family trait, too. I’ve noticed that Scarlet seems to be just as hard on herself as you are.*

Gunari lowered his head further as Devereaux shifted to face his friend as the stallion pressed his forehead and nose against Dev’s chest and stomach. He slid his hands along Gunari’s jaws and then onto his neck, almost cradling the large head in his strong arms. They drew strength and comfort from one another’s presence; their bond went deeper than anyone but them knew or understood. They were companions and partners and still it went on. For one to lose the other would probably permanently damage the survivor, if not kill them outright from shock.

Dev sighed heavily and tucked one knee up to rest his elbow on, arm extended out, once he released Gunari’s head. The other leg remained stretched out in front of him. Gunari lifted his head enough to nose at Dev’s long blonde hair, now easily past the tops of his shoulders, blowing warm, apple scented breath into the locks.

*Either you’ve been in the apple orchard or Brishan’s been spoiling you again,* Dev chuckled.

*I like that youngster... I told you before that he’s good for you. Time has only reaffirmed my opinion. Having Scarlet in your life has done wonders as well. But look at what she’s done with that Druchii. Not only a dark elf but a Black Guard to boot. And he practically functions like a normal person. Well, as normal as a Black Guard can get. It’s an amazing transformation, Dev. She brings out the goodness in everything that she touches. Your sister is very, very special... And I am thankful everyday that you have her.*

Devereaux looked into one of Gunari’s ice blue eyes as he continued to rub the silky hair on his friend’s jaw with his other hand.

*I know you are. So am I. More than I think she will ever comprehend.*

The stallion puffed out a sigh before resting his nose down on Dev’s shoulder. In return, Dev leaned his own head against Gunari’s and let his eyes fall shut again. Being in Gunari’s company relaxed him faster than nearly anything else. Training helped. So did a great many other things but, again, it all went back to the bond he and his friend shared.

*But she’s not been the only female in your thoughts recently...* Gunari prompted gently, changing the subject.

Devereaux felt himself smile without even thinking about it. He tended to do that whenever she crossed his mind. And who could blame him?

*No, she’s not...*
Grazilda

Re: [ORP] Pence for Your Thoughts

Post by Grazilda »

Walking---That's what Grazilda used to do whenever her mind was filled with conflicting thoughts. And that was exactly what she did. She walked not knowing where to go. Though in slight pain from the duel with Cassandra, her feet pressed hard on the ground. Her steps were as fast as the thoughts that rushed in her mind. With her broken arrow, one piece in each hand, she paced aimlessly without thought if her presence was detected by any creature. She didn't care. She just wanted to walk.

Then she stopped. For the first time since she left her shack, she was suddenly aware of her surroundings. She was suddenly immovable as if her feet were glued to the ground. She clenched her cold fists.

He was there. Devereaux was there. And she could not turn back. She was in clear view that it was impossible for her to be unnoticed.

She wanted to speak but no words came out from her mouth.
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

The sound of quiet, steady footfalls approaching distracted Devereaux from his mental conversation with Gunari. They were both very aware of their surroundings at all times, even when appearing to be completely at ease. By this point it was as natural as breathing for both of them. One did not live as long as they had by being careless or unawares.

*It seems your topic of interest has found you,* Gunari said and then Dev felt his attention being drawn elsewhere for a moment. *Something is amiss here.* His mindvoice sounded troubled. Dev sensed it as well before he even looked at Grazilda.

Gunari took a step back as he got to his feet and brushed whatever dirt and anything else there might have been from his breeches.

*I’ll give you two a bit of space but I won’t be too far. Call if you need me.*

*Nais tuke (thank you), old friend.* And without further ado, Gunari planted his muzzle at Devereaux’s lower back and gave him a gentle shove in Grazilda’s direction before wheeling on his hind leg and trotting away from them. Dev looked after his friend for a moment with a faint smile on his lips and then turned his gaze to the lady in question.

He approached her wearing a pleasantly neutral expression to hide the concern he felt, even his bright blue eyes gave nothing away. “Good morning, lass,” came Dev’s quiet greeting.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda's pulse raced. She just realized that she walked so far for such a short period of time. Take a deep breath, Grazilda. Inhale...Exhale....Yes, that's how you do it...Relax... She ordered herself and so she did. Her hands relaxed and she looked at Devereaux. "Hello, Dev," she smiled. She mentally kicked herself for smiling. How can she smile with her dilemma at that moment? Yet her face had a mind of its own and smiled a genuine smile. She mentally groaned. To conceal the smile would be so... out of the ordinary, if not funny.

Perfect! Just perfect! She thought with great sarcasm. The last person that should see her in this situation was the one she stumbled into. This day is really fully of surprises, she thought again.

"How are you?" She asked, not that she really didn't want to know. In fact, she did. However, the question just came out without her knowing it, like it was a default question in such a situation. "Are you out here just to relax?" She mentally kicked herself again.

She almost dropped the arrows that she held in her hands.
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

A person’s body language, their actions and reactions, speak louder than any words. In poker those little habits and nervous ticks were called ‘tells’. Devereaux wasn’t much of one for gambling but he knew the game well enough. He’d also spent several lifetimes over learning to read people. So he knew there was most definitely something eating at her but… One did not push a nervous horse to do something; he coaxed and encouraged him with a gentle hand and kind words, not if you wanted him to be your friend. The same applied with people, particularly females.

“Well enough,” he replied and then stopped a few feet from where Grazilda stood. “Aye, it’s a good place for it. At least for me it always has been.”

Dev inhaled deeply and looked up once more to the canopy of branches, absently noting the way they rustled and swayed as the wind breezed through them. As he exhaled slowly, he dropped his eyes and caught Grazilda’s. He’d already noted the sad, broken arrow grasped within her fists so he purposely avoided looking at them directly.

“I’ll call Gunari back and leave you to your thoughts right now, and I will never ask about this again… Or I can accompany you until, if and when, you decide you’d like to talk. It’s your choice.”
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

"Stay!" Grazilda's word was strong as if it was a tall order. For a brief moment, her smile disappeared. She sighed with resignation. "I mean...stay here...please," her voice was gentle now.

She looked at Devereaux helplesslessly. "It's time for me to swallow my pride. I need someone to talk to and I feel like I can talk to you," she told him honestly. What did I just say???!!! Her mind screamed disapprovingly. She shook her head and closed her eyes hard, her internal debate was made obvious.

She opened her eyes and looked down at her hands. Two pieces of what was once a symbol of her power in two different hands stayed separate, never to be made whole again. She did not believe in omens or signs, but somehow, this one made an impact.

She looked up at him. "Do you think that one's destiny is pre-determined or do we make our own destiny?" She mentally approved of her question. It wasn't very precise yet it wasn't very vague either, at least not in her opinion. Her mind was once again guarded.

She didn't fully trust him yet despite those instances when she let her guard down around him in the tavern and that fact that she let him invade her personal space until Rieron meddled in. Yet, somehow, there was something about him that she couldn't figure out. There was something about his character that drew her toward him despite her stubborn will. She wondered if it was his sincerity, for she had never felt such level if sincerity from anyone since...since hr father died.

She pushed away some thoughts from her mind. One thing at a time, Grazilda. One thing at a time, she reminded herself.

She looked at him and waited for his answer as she placed both halves of the arrow in her left hand, her non-dominant hand.
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Devereaux’s eyes lit with mild amusement briefly at Grazilda’s order to sit. She was too used to dealing with that mutt of hers… If she hadn’t been so obviously rattled Dev might have said, ‘woof’ teasingly at her. The mischief-maker within him still considered it for a moment despite knowing he wouldn’t.

The question that came from her lips, however, gave Devereaux a pause. In all of his very long years he did not remember having been asked that question. Not once. Perhaps because for the lion’s share of his life his body and will had not been his own. That was the biggest reason Rieron’s ‘condition for personal space’ chafed; after having just broken free of his bondage, he had a passionate and intense dislike for any restrictions.

“That is a very good question, lass,” he replied thoughtfully. He touched Grazilda’s elbow and began to walk in a random direction, beckoning her silently to walk with him.

“I’d surely like to think that we make our own destinies… Because if that is not the case? Then someone has a lot to answer for. Not only for what was done to me but for what my phei (sister) has been through. For what you have been for. Even our Rieron. If there are indeed Fates whom control the events of our lives, they would be wise to hide… And hide well.” Those last words came out not threateningly but stated as a fact. “No one deserves those things. Why do you ask?”
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda obediently followed Devereaux when he touched her elbow. She understood and matched his pace. She listened intently and in a way, she agreed with him.

She answered his question with a question, "What if the said destiny is the legacy of someone that you fully respected and regarded highly? To turn away from the said destiny is to follow the life that you were groomed to be. To follow the destiny is to embrace what you were born to be and to forget who you were. Is it also possible to have a compromise?" She couldn't believe that she consulted him about something which she almost considered sacred.

The mere fact that she was able to tell her internal turmoil to someone made her feel better. In fact, she didn't feel the burden of her dilemma anymore. As the saying goes, 'A problem shared is a problem halved.' It held true for her and she was thankful for it.

Somehow, she felt like she made a new friend today.
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Devereaux checked his stride enough so they ambled along at a pace comfortable to her. Their vast height difference (as in, an entire foot difference) meant adjustments had to be made to compensate for it. He didn’t think she would appreciate jogging beside him to keep up… But he didn’t mind moving more slowly than normal in the least.

“Anything is possible, lass,” he told her after considering her next questions. “Well, nearly almost anything,” he amended with a lopsided smile. Devereaux glanced sideways at Grazilda and took a moment to admire her profile. He had yet to find something about her that he truly considered a flaw despite her constantly stating that she did not know what he saw in her.

“So, aye. I do believe it is possible to have a compromise and you are free to choose who and what you want to be. It isn’t likely to be easy. Change rarely is. But if it was there would be no sense of reward when you do manage to accomplish your goal.” Dev smiled then. “And I’ve never been known for my sense of complacency. I say seize your destiny and make it your own, lass. Do what you will with it. Who is going to stop you?”

*Edited for typos
Last edited by Devereaux on Fri May 10, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

For someone who was not really tall, Grazilda can walk fast. She could keep up with Devereaux's pace yet she was also thankful that he slowed down. She was already a high speed before she saw him.

She listened to him and absorbed what he said like a sponge. "Seize the day. You're right. I lived my life filled with regrets. I'm tired of living in the past, though. It has kept me from doing what I want and becoming who I am. But I might end up to be someone darker than I already was and am. And if that time comes..." her voice trailed off.

She was having a hard time applying the seize the day part but she tried her best. She smiled and looked at him. She opened her mouth to speak but she hesitated. She bit her lower lip in embarrassment.

"You just made my day, Dev," her eyes twinkled as she looked at him.