[ORP] The Cork Graveyard

Moderator: Community Team

Grazilda

[ORP] The Cork Graveyard

Post by Grazilda »

The graveyard was quiet. Only the rustling of the leaves can be heard. The silence was disturbed by the footsteps of a hooded figure against the grass on the way to a certain spot.

The spot was defined by roses meticulously maintained on a daily basis by the hooded lady. The lively roses that bloomed were a stark contrast to its dead surroundings.

When she reached the spot, she bowed her head for a long time and whispered a prayer to the Mages. Then, she knelt in front of the stone where the following words were written:
~<$>~ "Zechin" ~<$>~

"A Loyal brother, friend and lover."

"May you follow the Wild Hunt into the afterlife.."
Grazilda removed the hood of her cloak and let out a long sigh. She took out a wine bottle and removed the cork. "Cheers, Zechi!" She raised the bottle and took a long sip. "It was more convenient to drink with you in the tavern. Truth be told, the grass can sometimes be itchy," she remarked and wiped her lips with a handkerchief.

Her fingers traced the etched words on the stone. "You were very good in hunting, I'll admit that. But it's so unfair that you left without finishing our hunting contest. And you also left with my 200-something freznics from your last trade run to Widu with my items. I almost believed that your death was prefabricated so that you can run away with my money. You know that I'll hunt you to the end of the world and break your neck because you took my money." She took another sip of her drink. And again, she wiped her lips with a handkerchief. "And as my business partner, you knew how much I hate losing money!" She took another sip then wiped again her lips with a handkerchief. "And you owed me a huge banquet!"

She let out a long sigh. "It took a while for me to promote you from a business partner to becoming a friend. And you very well know that I have trust issues." She squinted at the tombstone with contempt. "Unlike you, I don't socialize easily with people." She bit her lower lip, and held back her tears. "I loved you, Zechi, but why did you leave me? Why didn't you even say good-bye?" She clenched her fists in an effort to hold back the tears yet she failed.

"I refused to believe that you're gone, Zechi. However, it's high time that I accept that fact," she said in between tears. "You were the only one who brought back the old me that took a whole tribe to eradicate for decades. You were the only one who saw the real me beyond the wall that I've built around myself. You were the only one who saw that I'm really..." Her voice trailed off. Her face became very gentle and kind. Her eyes were filled with love and understanding.

Suddenly, she became aware of her surroundings. She wiped the tears from her face and covered her face with her hood.

The soft countenance was suddenly replaced with a cold and deadly expression. And the hooded creature stood up and left the graveyard with her handkerchief and empty wine bottle.
Grazilda

Re: [ORP] The Cork Graveyard

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda headed to the now familiar spot in the graveyard. This time, she did not bring any alcoholic drink. She sat on her favorite spot and smiled at the tombstone. "Hello, Zechi." She stretched her arms and relaxed as if she was in her own home. "Maybe I should build a vardo here somewhere," she spoke to the tombstone. "I've been visiting the afterlife time and again and I didn't see you. I was actually expecting a welcome party from you. I was highly disappointed."

She tended the flowers and returned to her seat. "I'm not sure if long distance relationship extends to the afterlife. Since I didn't see you welcome me at all during my several visits to the next life, I'm assuming that you found someone new there. It's all right. I prefer to stay alive." She waved her hand in dismissal. "By the way, it seemed boring when one is dead. At least, that was my experience. But then again, it could be possible that you were promoted to some deader stage or whatsoever that you're enjoying the perks of being dead and are staying dead. You can resurrect IF you want, you know. If there's a will, there's a way they say. Since you prefer to spend the rest of your existence in the afterlife, then so be it. Just allow me to wallow up here as I have no one to talk to as of late." At that point, Grazilda was starting to wonder if Zechin can actually hear her, or if she was getting insane and was actually talking to an inanimate stone.

She looked around. "This place seems comfortable. It's quiet and it gives me peace of mind. Maybe I shouldn't stop coming here often, whether someone's actually listening to me or not." She got up from her seat and shook off the stray grass that clung to her cloak. "Until my next visit," she said to no one in particular.

She picked at the flowers of the other graves on her way out.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda was dressed in black from head to toe. She held a bouquet of fresh flowers. She stood quietly and stared at Noah's grave.

She thought he just was just late for the day, which was already unusual to begin with. It was already sunset and he was still absent from her butcher shop. She thought he was still sick, as he did not feel well the past days.

She went to his cottage to see if he was fine. She had a key since she basically bought the cottage for him.

She froze on her tracks when she saw his lifeless body on the ground. She could not move. She was momentarily confused and shaken. She could not believe her eyes. Her last blood relative, also her steward, left her in this world.

She closed her eyes and pretended that it was all a dream. She was scared to open her eyes. When she did, she still saw the same image of her cousin Noah, devoid of life.

She quickly wrapped his body in blanket and laid him on a cart that she pulled to the graveyard. She limped on the way as she was not yet fully-recovered from her recent duel.

She dug a grave beside Oreo, who died the week before from overeating. Oreo's grave was beside Zechin's.

As she dug the dirt to bury her cousin, she cried. She had to stop from time to time to wipe her tears and gather enough courage to move on. She was getting exhausted physically and emotionally. She uttered a silent prayer to the gods whether they still exist or not.

It was almost daybreak when she finished.

She was not able to sleep. She took a thorough bath and returned to the graveyard.

She brought three candles, one for each grave, and lighted them. She placed the fresh flowers on Noah's grave. The flowers from Oreo's grave were now wilted. Roses were well-tended on Zechin's grave, though.

Usually, she talked to the dead. Now, she could not find the words to express her gratitude to Noah. She was overthrown by grief. She knelt on the ground and cried again.

She could not forgive herself for being unable to keep Noah alive. She felt like a total failure.
Serene

Post by Serene »

Serene was tending flowers in the graveyard. She had been at the university all day studying. For some fresh air, She liked to take care of the peasants mass grave from the revolt. She also frequently went by Zechin's and Mcaries grave making sure the flowers were well tended. While she was there, Serene was attracted by three candles that were lit.
She thought she heard crying, very soft desperate crying. As she approached she saw someone kneeling on the ground near a fresh grave.
The person felt familiar to her. They looked like they were hurt. Serene approached cautiously and said, "Hello, Hello, Are you okay?"

As Serene got closer she realized that it was her beloved sister, Grazilda, that was crying. She quickly ran to Grazilda thinking that her duel training had gotten the best of her. "Grazilda! Grazilda!! Are you okay? Are you Okay?!" Serene was very upset at seeing her sister upset and hurt. Serene could not remember her sister crying before. She was always the strong one. Just earlier today, Serene had waved to Grazilda at the university. Now she did not look good. Serene wondered who was in the fresh grave. There was no head stone yet.

Serene opened up her backpack and took out some aloe and a bandage that Rieron had given her. She tried to hand them to the kneeling Grazilda. "Grazilda?" Serene softly said in a worried voice.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda felt something move near her. She glanced and saw that it was Serene. Quicky, Grazilda wiped the tears from her face. She tried to look happy. She pretended that her sister didn't see anything at all.

Her face suddenly had a huge smile. "Hello, Serene! How was the class today?" She asked and tried to push the topic away from the her sister just witnessed.

She accepted the bandages and aloes. "Thanks, Serene. These will make my healing faster. How did you know that I needed these?" She asked, in the hopes that Serene would not ask about the new grave.

She knew her sister well enough to expect an enquiry about the grave. She braced herself.
Serene

Post by Serene »

Serene was relieved when Grazilda smiled. Maybe she just imagined the crying. She gently gave her sister a hug. She was getting better about giving gentle hugs after duels.
"Class was great! I learned so much. Rieron was my teacher. I got to have a lot of time with him. And it was so fun to see you in the other classroom!" Serene bubbled.
As Serene pauses as she realized signs that every thing was not really okay. For one she noticed that Grazilda's eyes were a bit puffy and red. Even if Grazilda lost a duel, she wouldn't cry about it, she would train harder. Grazilda's smile seemed more like a grimace than a smile after the first initial smile. Serene quietly points to the duel wound on her leg that had made her limp. The black book had had lots of admonishments to be observant. And she was doing her best to use what she was learning. She thought about Grazilda's question. How did she know Grazilda needed a bandage.? "Ummm I just knew..." As she thought about the question she realized Grazilda was hiding a lot of emotions. "What's wrong? What happened?" Serene quietly asked.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda noticed that Serene has become more observant than before. She was asked a question that she wished was not asked.

Instead of telling Serene the whole story, she ponnted at the three graves, from the one with flowers to the newest addition to the graveyard and said, "Zechin, Oreo and Noah."
Serene

Post by Serene »

Serene listened closely. Her face blanched as she heard the new names. Her mouth fell open in disbelief. "NnnnnooooooO! It can't be true!" Serene wailed. Serene clung to Grazilda in desperate grief.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda hugged Serene tight. Serene might not have been ready to hear the growing list of the Graveyard residents. "How, my dear Sister. They are now all in peace where they will feel no pain, no hunger and no suffering."

She tried to smile once more. "Let us recall the happy moments with them and treasure those in our hearts for as long as we live."

Her words were easier said than done.
Serene

Post by Serene »

Serene wailed... After a while she gasped for breath trying to stop crying. Slowly the crying stopped. She listens to Grazilda's words. She nods and dutifully but sadly tries to comply. After a few minutes, "Maybe Rieron will bring them back!" She asks hopefully while trying to read Grazilda's face.