[ORP] Téide's Glade

Moderator: Community Team

Teide

[ORP] Téide's Glade

Post by Teide »

If you travel further down a small down trodden path on the left side of a garden on the outskirts of the town you will see an old gnarled tree at crossroads within the swallow wood neatly tucked behind the last stone wall of the property line. There is a wooden sign post with it's letters worn away from decades of neglect. The crossroads goes west and northeast and south. There is nothing out of the ordinary of this scene and little to be thought of but if you follow the road to the west please notice the arrow is broken off and thrown aside for reasons unknown.

You follow the path that nestles deeper into the woods and the trees gradually gross thicker and aged with old man's bearded moss hanging on every branch swooping to catch you. The ground grows harder and the rocky incline more rigged. The once clear road has now become overgrown and the trees tower over you with thick trunks. You may now turn southwest or north. Either way looks abandoned of human life and swallowed up by dark forests. Another curious sign, to the southwest lay flagstone fragments that peek from beneath moss.

Continue southwest and follow the slender road through the thick trees, never mind the brier or thorns and come to a small old and disused bridge that spans a deep but skinny river. Cross over if you dare a little further into the belly of the woods. As you come at the end of the path you see the ruins of a quarry forgotten a hundred years ago. A glade opens in the trees and down many quarry paths. Follow the one to the left and in the bottom on an old tree stump sits a solitary bat-like humanoid skull. It greets you with it's vacant hollow stare. Come a little closer...please do dare.

The trees grow tall here but not thick. This wood is young, only a hundred year grown up. On the crags of the stonewalls that jutted up from the mossy forest floor nested many birds. There eerie calls filled the air and the stillness of the forest floor was unnerving at best. A chilled wind that blew from the mountains swept through the trees playing their haunting melody from trunk to trunk. No animal stirred the leaves or wrestled in the brush. Save for the birds and the foreboding skull it seemed void. As if something in this abandoned quarry kept life from entering. Something that settled in the bones and shadowed above the trees but impossible to tell stirred the bones of the quarry and seemed inviting in a morbid curiosity...
Bergan

Re: [ORP] Téide's Glade

Post by Bergan »

Bergan was relatively new to Bravia and the town of Cork. It was a warm balmy day when he decided to stray further off the usual town paths he had explored, and venture further afield.
He had made his way to the outer reaches of the town when he spied a rather well worn, but seemingly recently unused path leading far beyond into distant woodland.

Being gifted with the powers to commune with all animals who cared to pass the time of day with him, Bergan felt quite excited with the possible prospect of making new acquaintances.
The signpost struck him as being odd, it was not intact, nor was it legible. This didn't perturb him, instead he was all the more interested in where this path might lead him.

On, and on he went, and the further he travelled the denser the growth in the woodland became.
He paused for a while as he heard the screeching of a young Buzzard high above him calling its parents for food, while below there were rabbits scurrying to hide from warning from up above.What a silly bird he thought to himself. Though he was also relieved that he wouldn't have to witness the swift despatch of a rabbit, should the Buzzard have had more sense.

On and on he went with no sign of any habitation other than the birds making unusually loud calls, informing of Bergans presence. He now found himself close to what seemed to be a large stream, but on closer inspection was a rivulet. As the path turned he could see a bridge that crossed the deep dark water. Seeing that the woods now deepened at this point he decided to cross. Bridges are built by inhabitants of the area he thought and wandered onward.

Bergan looked up into the high canopy of trees hoping to spot more of the birds of prey that should frequent such an area but saw nothing. Immediately ahead he could see that the woodland stopped and opened out into what seemed to be a glade with a rocky surrounding, perfect for nesting peregrine falcons he thought.

Suddenly, Bergan was pulled up by the sight of what looked to be a skull looking directly at him from its position atop an old tree stump. He knew it to be a human skull, and that its previous owner was departed from it, but never the less, he got the distinct impression that it was alive and observing him.
Moving along a little further the panorama widened into what seemed to be cliffs. Being nowhere near the sea this wasn't possible. On second thoughts this had to be a very old, but considerably well worked quarry

The air seemed heavier now, and the few trees he could see looked sad, and droopy from the lichen that hung miserably from them. Bergan felt like he had entered a different world now. beyond the clearing he was overly warm, now he felt an unnatural chill. He decided he would sit down on a nearby rock and attune himself to his surroundings. After doing so he was suddenly startled by a loud crack in front of him from what could only be a breaking branch.

Hello! is there someone there? My name is Bergan, forgive me if I'm trespassing, I'm just enjoying the day, or Rather not at this point in time he thought to himself.
Teide

Post by Teide »

The air was still and cold as she was focusing on the energy around her. Fine tuning the craft she innately possessed but relatively wielded with poor precision. She sat in her secret place with her eyes closed and she tried to focus her mind and watch with the mind's eye the hawks nesting above. She felt their pulse and thoughts for a few seconds when the next movement caught her attention and it flicked from anything that moved and this caused her a great headache. She tried to do as she'd been taught and focused her mind on a single piece of grass. With her full concentration she watched that grass alone with an interrupt here and there. When she came to the quarry she naturally was a deterrent for wildlife. When she tried to focus her psionic abilities her magical energy was unchecked and created an aura similar to it's nature. She had not yet mastered how to block one and use the other so if she practiced magic it opened her mind up and vice versa. Still she was thankful for this kept too many animals from coming and distracting her practice.

This was her regular routine and she enjoyed the quiet of it. Today she was doing better as she managed to hold her concentration. Suddenly she caught a flicker across boots and the glimmer of a belt. She withdrew from her meditation and frowned as her sanctuary was intruded upon. This drew a frown from her which pushed a wave of negative energy about the area causing several birds to take flight and scattering around and above the intruder. It even sent a doe from the forest that scrambled breaking branches and running past him. The small one could sense him trying to connect into the web of the life around him. She couldn't allow that. Sending a wave of confusion to keep him separated from the life she moved to a better position in the rocks. It wouldn't disable him just give her a few minutes to discover what manner of male had found her secret place.

Throwing her voice so he could not tell her position she spoke out, still in hiding, "This is my part of the wood. Don't you dare move or I'll have you join my friend...why would you stroll into this place of death? Do you wish to challenge me? Seek my treasure? On what dare did you come to this forbidden place Bergan?" she knew the caves well as well the rock face and threw her voice into their bowels to receive a strong echo, it made her voice sound deep, rich, frightening and manly. She hoped to find what sort...the treasure hunter, adventurer, warrior or religious justice fanatic before she proceeded.
Bergan

Post by Bergan »

Bergan's heart was racing now. He sensed he was intruding within some kind of place of sanctuary maybe, or was it occupied by the powers of darkness? He felt a distinct chill as a solitary doe darted past him causing him to almost lose his balance. Quickly composing himself and by the power of mental telepathy that he took for granted now, he called the doe to please stop. The doe surprised by the sudden mental call stopped and turned to face him.

Just then a loud bellowing voice, with no distinct characteristic of gender which seemed to come from everywhere, and nowhere, addressed him.
"This is my part of the wood. Don't you dare move or I'll have you join my friend...why would you stroll into this place of death? Do you wish to challenge me? Seek my treasure? On what dare did you come to this forbidden place Bergan?"

Bergan spun around, and then back again to face the doe which was still staring at him. What the? Did you do that?He said out loud looking back at the deer. In the same manner as Bergan had asked the doe to stop, it answered him by means of the common tongue used between animals, and indeed Bergan himself. You should know better than to think I would be capable of such magic sir, I am but a mere animal of the forest as you can see. I would strongly recommend you justify why you are here, and what your intentions are. You already display that you are more than humanoid in being able to speak with me.

At that, the doe spun back on its hind legs and hurried away leaving Bergan stood bewildered.
Hello!((((((((( I am Bergan Mortimer, A new occupier of the town of Cork. I mean no malice nor harm to anyone. I was out strolling in the afternoon sun, making myself more familiar with the area. I saw no sign prohibiting entry to these woods behind me, nor indeed this lovely glade I stand within. It was hardly a lovely glade, as he was now stood within a most threatening environment, which had chilled him to the core.

Please allow me to see who you are good .......Person, and then surely we can reason this out. I am a peaceable man with no weapons, other than my natural inbred abilities. I am totally uninformed as to where I am.

Bergan looked up, and turned a full 360 degrees looking for a sign of some presence, but all he could see were the falcons and hawks high above him looking back at him from their rocky sharp crags.
Teide

Post by Teide »

While he was panicking she was stifling a giggle as she heard his thoughts and through the use of mysticism saw the purple outline of his body through the rock. Still as she watched him commune with the doe she found that unsettling and listened in his side of the end of the conversation. He was a telepath like her? Now that was interesting. None outside her kin were, very curious indeed. Just then she could feel the wave shift and he sensed her but she withdrew quickly and shielded her mind. He was looking right at her so she stayed in place for a moment wondering if it was worth coming out of her hiding place or not. True he was scared but would he remain scared? She hardly doubted it. It was very amusing...she the embodiment of fear and death? That made her quite happy for she had intention of remaining weak and trained however much she could. Too bad putting on this sort of show was draining her.

It was always dangerous to use too much and a slight headache warned her when it was becoming too much as it did now. So she blocked herself up to maintain a reserve of energy. She'd left herself weak out here before and the results were none too pleasant to recall. Weighing her options, staying hidden hoping he didn't have the same sensory magics she did or shaming him terribly by revealing the small source of all their fear and holding the high ground in case he wasn't as harmless as he looked. She could already feel him probing the life network so hiding seemed to her when this insuffiecent knowledge to not be a very wise option. So option B would be the best course of action.
Turned to face him and lifted the heavy grey blanket she used to look like a rock while here and stay out of the sun. Before him was revealed a small elfling with striking green eyes, a pale white nearly grey complexion and long black hair. Her small figure seemed to be only 4ft tall and a slight little thing. She seemed like such a small fragile thing but the moment she smiled there was a mischievousness in those large green eyes that she suddenly seemed different. She looked so young, only ten maybe but no. The particular curve of her hips were a woman's and that alarming green gaze seemed older and scrutinizing. They seemed to regard him with amusement, curiosity and malice. Her aura was that which permeated this glade.

"Bergan did you say?" her voice was soft and pleasant with a slight ring of twisted enjoyment, "Mortimer too a strange name...don't move too fast. I would kill you as I did him." she twirled a finger at the skull with a grin, "What inbred abilities? I know telepathy and life detection..." she shifted her eyes on the direction of the doe. Amused she looked back at him, "No signs there may be but this is my glade and you will not come or go without my consent. Well Mr. Bergan?" she waited for his reply.
Bergan

Post by Bergan »

Bergan watched the transformation before him. One second he was staring at a shimmering craggy rock, the next, it was was a small girl or was it?
He didn't attempt to move any closer, but after squinting his eyes, he could see that this was indeed a woman, and a very beautiful woman with the most piercingly mesmerising eyes he had ever seen. Automatically he knew he wasn't looking his best, and made a feeble attempt to straighten his clothing, and throw back his long, black, raven hair behind his ears, in a vain attempt to look more presentable.

He was temporarily struck dumb it seemed, by the feisty way this Elvish lady demanded him to explain himself. He was only slightly built himself but stood at least a foot taller than she did. Not that he wanted to prove his physical strength to her, though he did feel somewhat belittled by her authoritative voice. Perhaps he was been tested by the owner of the bellowing voice that threatened him before her appearance, that was no elfing female, he thought. Eventually he realised he was in no position to refuse to answer her demand and after clearing his throat he began.

Hrrmm! Yes Bergan is my name, though not my choice I have to say, Bergan Mortimer, named after my father who was a human. My mother who also sadly no longer lives was a half Leprechaun. My father I am told was a warlock, and a man of magic, though as I have no memory of him, or my mother I cannot say for certain.
Errrmm.. Yes I have some rather special abilities such as the ability to converse with all creatures. I have the ability to heal all living matter, plant or animal, likewise any other living beings should the grand architect permit it.

I can also leave my body at will, use the power of aportation to bring items that are urgently needed for instance. But only for the power of good I hasten to add. Should I try to use my powers for harm against any living being they would be taken from me. Likewise, I am not allowed to demonstrate any of my powers for showmanship. I can also attune myself to the thoughts of others, and clearly see what intent they may have, and similarly the state of their health. I do this by viewing the auric field that surrounds all life forms, I'm sure you can also lady.......? I'm sorry I didn't quite catch your name.

Bergan closed his eyes and willed himself into a trance like state calling on the elementals to assist his bodily exit out into the ether. Within a couple of seconds he was snapped back into his body, only now he was holding a white water lilly in his outstretched hand.

Here my lady. This wasn't a trick. I give you this as a token of my intention to be friendly with you. I mean no harm. I came to Cork to find friendship, mayhap a wife, and mostly to use my abilities for the good of others.

He now seemed transfixed by the glassy, though beautiful deep glare he was receiving. Should he mention about his alchemical abilities, and knowledge? Would he be stoned to death or worse? One thing for certain. He could not avert his eyes from hers. She seemed to be downloading the contents of his brain and checking for any discrepancies in his admissions, or so it seemed.
Teide

Post by Teide »

The elf-like lady frowned for a moment and kept a rather stoic expression as he prattled on. Each word seemed hurried and tripping over the other...yet those his words were fine and eloquent. It was his thoughts..they were rather in an impulsive jumble most based on memory and the known fact rather than thinking carefully before he answered. He didn't seem more than a small 5 feet but he carried a sword to his side and one arm slightly larger than the other. The trade of a swordsman though for regards to his craft she found herself flipping through the memories he brought as he spoke and she saw traces here and there and her eyes blinked every so often. She may have been looking right at him but her mind was somewhere off in his. She wanted to make sure he wasn't lying to her as she poured over them.

The openness of his mind, the mind of a fellow telepath was alarming. So easy to tell his thoughts that she couldn't help but feel he was allowing her to probe. Even a novice such as her when she first discovered the gift should be able to block a little. At that she withdrew mentally from him and her eyes focused more on the external. She maintained her glare as she twirled her dagger in her slender fingers. The corners of her mouth lifted slowly in wry amusement inch by inch. When he mentioned the conditions of his giftings and healing she choked back a bit of laughter. Sometimes the ideals...it was amusing at least but this talk of doings things for the good left a sick taste in her mouth. Still she chewed on the inside of her lip as he spoke.

Both her eye brows rose as he seemed to go into a trance and then the life went from his body as it for a mere second drooped. That did catch her off guard as he suddenly came back so quickly. She frowned as she didn't like being caught by surprise. She probed again analysing his every word and thought and gleamed over any flashes she got but she could see what was consuming his thoughts the most. He thought she was beautiful? That really made her frown and he was rightly worried for some of his thoughts as innocent, in comparison to others, as they were she still didn't know how to feel about that. One brow rose and her mind departed from his. Obviously he wasn't going to block so she was. She remained silent for a long time to probably process the overflow of thoughts and words. Finally she seemed to see up there poised like a wolf.

"You're trying to be charming with me?" she wondered about his sanity in that case and extended her left hand. There was a black ash-like mark on the middle of her palm. A flicker of light lit up her green eyes and as she placed her hand black down the lily began to wilt and die. "I might be elven in appearance but I have no love for the notion of justice or good. This must be a jest." she scoffed lightly, "I have no ability to heal even if I wanted to. All the gods and mages gave me was destruction. Some to heal and some to smite. That's my lot in life." she said almost bitterly. "If you must know I am Téide Di Carpietra, a relation to the De la Croix family."
Bergan

Post by Bergan »

Bergan felt agitated at the lenghth of time the Elvin woman took to delve into his brain, rummaging around in a futile attempt to find fault with what he had said. Her eyes had now become half closed as she looked at him, almost with some sort of contempt for the fact that he was, who he said he was.

"You're trying to be charming with me?" She said with almost a cackle in her voice,
before reaching out and extinguishing all the beauty out of the lilly flower he had handed to her, turning it to ash.
Bergan's placid temper had now become inflamed. He had innocently, and naively entered this place to seek the wildlife it held. He had offered his apologies, and moreover, allowed this Elvin woman to probe into the inner sanctum of his memory to verify his integrity. This cold display of any interest in him being accepted as friendly visitor hurt more than a blow to the head.

My dear lady Teide. And I do use the term "lady" loosely. This is just my attempt at remaining polite. I suggest to you that if all you know in this world is destruction, and the need to obliterate beauty as you have just done here with this perfectly beautiful bloom. Then I pity you, for you are only living half a life. I do know the name De la Croix, though I have not had the need to associate that name with any of the evils of this world.Not until now he thought to himself, his jaw becoming tight as he inhaled deeply, losing all sense of fear now as he felt he too would be extinguished presently.

Bergan looked all around him, the air was still, and not a sound could be heard. It was as if time had stood still, and all the birds had been struck mute. Looking high up onto the craggy rock face behind the Elvin woman sat a large, female Goshawk. Turning his head slightly and looking up at the bird through his eye corner, he attuned himself to the frequency of the perched bird and without uttering a word said.
Please be kind enough to assist me here. I mean you no harm as I'm sure you are aware. Oblige me one minute and join with me here upon my arm. Please?

Bergan stretched out his arm and gestured with his head, nodding down at his arm. The hawk mantled its wings, then paused a beat before dropping silently onto his wrist.
Thank you he said.Then began caressing the dense plumage on the birds breastYou see Mistress Teide. This bird has enormous talons with which to destroy her prey, but she only uses them to obtain food. I dare say she could should she wish, obliterate my face as you have that lilly flower. Then maybe go on to rip out my throat if the fancy took her. But she won't do that, because she knows I have much to offer her should she become sick, or any of her kind for that matter.

Bergan nodded at the bird appreciatively and cast her back up into the air whereupon she circled before landing back on her high elevated rocky perch
I cannot see any payment in destruction or mayhem, unless its fending off oppressors or attackers.
tell me mistress, are you in league with the trolls? Was that a troll voice that called out to me before you appeared? Only I have not come here to cause any destruction, commit any felony, nor make any mayhem.
Teide

Post by Teide »

Téide sat comfortably on her perch as he lectured her. She could feel his anger rising due to her poor conduct on his civilities. The lady knew she was being rude. She also felt little remorse as she saw something of him she would have never seen through pleasantries. She kept her eyes free of emotion but was concentrating on the effort of severing herself from his emotion. As he felt angry and hurt so did she. As he felt probed and betrayed so did she. Still it was in this raw display of emotion that Téide really understood others for she felt what they felt just as strongly. It was also that reason that she felt rebellious towards their needs in trying to find her own real emotion.

She listened to his words with consideration and as he spoke his fear melted away and Téide saw a part of his character that she did find admirable. When he felt the need his courage did arise. He was not a coward. She sat unmoving with an unreadable expression as he called over the bird. He spoke on bringing up a valid point but there was something he did forget also to the hawk in which the both of them had in common.

The little elven lady sat in a seemingly cold manner but after she had separated her feelings from his she felt more ready to answer him with her own words for him to consider, "I destroy therefore I am evil? Bend to darkness so I must be aligned with monsters?" she stood up. Trying a breath to assuage the growing inner tempest caused by his emotion not hers, "To be honest I don't really care if you think me evil or good for I am who I am and I would not change it." there was something he should understand though. His willingness to surrender his thoughts to her...she owed him that much, "There is always more to a picture than you think. I am a telepath and empath. Can you live everyday of your life wondering what thoughts are yours and what emotions are yours? What memories are real? To be shunned by people and animals alike because you merely were born different?"

she sends him an image of a wolf and spoke calmly but coolly, "How often did the story tellers tell folk that the wolf was evil? For the good of the people? It is often that people destroy merely what they don't understand. That is what I hate and why I scoff...because I find such ideals....unrealistic. People are unlike animals in this way...they hate." she started to turn and stretch out as she felt inclined to leave. From the very start Téide would not have killed or harmed him. She tested the metal of the people she came across at their worst before showing them her best.

"There are no trolls or anyone else. I know a troll though and he is a wonderful husband. My brother married an orc." she yelled out visibly for him to see clearly as she threw her voice and the echo came back a booming deep-throated yell, "People are more complex than you think 'sir'....and I say that loosely." her green glare looked at him coldly, "I have this in common with the bird." she paused, "We both puff up to protect ourselves." she started down the path.
Bergan

Post by Bergan »

Bergan's face turned quite florid as he listened to Teide's retort. It was she who made this thunderous voice half scaring him to death? He looked first right, then left. Up, and then down searching for some invisible inspiration with which to answer this very tricky, though wonderful, he thought, reply.

I, erm. I fear I've made rather unwarranted assumptions about you dear lady. In my defence I have to say, I don't ever recall meeting such an unusually frightening, though apparently harmless? Being. Dare I say? I'm still baffled as to how you can project your voice in such a manner. It would scare even the trolls I expect.

Bergan fidgeted feeling at a loss as what to say next. An Empath you say? and a telepath as you just displayed. Why, you are describing me also, although I cannot empathise with your invasion of thoughts from other creatures or beings. Nor your memories that are seemingly unclear as to the owner of them.

I do agree most people do tend to hate more than is healthy for their minds. It’s almost like a sickness really. I would like to say, I don’t hate any being, though I do have dislike for many cultures which is quite a different thing

Bergan looked at the beautiful elven lady, still her eyes were hard, and piercing, but he still found them deliciously attractive.

I see no reason why you shouldn’t inflate yourself, or puff up like the beautiful bird. Personally, I have no fear of death as I now know what its like to leave this earthly body so I only ever use negotiation where possible to try and defend myself.
When I say I don’t fear death. I would rather not be there when it happens to me. Ha ha ha!

Bergan waited hoping for a response to this silly joke he had just surprised himself with.
Maybe we could be friends and allies mistress Teide, that is if you’re sure you don’t want to behead me for trespassing. I really am in need of a purpose here in Cork perhaps some work even. Whatever your purpose is in this place, I’m sure I could be of assistance to you in some way Umm?
He said, putting on his handsome smile whilst crossing his hands behind his back to indicate that he was indeed no threat what so ever.

May I escort you back to your home here? I must say, I am rather parched with thirst. Closing his eyes tight again, Bergan clapped his hands together and produced a handful of fresh wild strawberries. Here, would you like some. He said offering his hand to Teide hoping she wouldn't turn them black and shrivelled this time, or moreover, suggest he produce a drink for himself.