A stroll through the market

Moderator: Community Team

balerion

Re: A stroll through the market

Post by balerion »

Think hard about wings... you might be surprised at what can happen.
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
AuroraKiye

Post by AuroraKiye »

"Wings? I've heard that flying takes a LOT of energy, co-ordination and control! Do I even want to think about how lacking I am in those areas?"
balerion

Post by balerion »

That is what magic is for!
Shaker of Castles
AuroraKiye

Post by AuroraKiye »

"Mmm. Well, with my magic, there's an equal amount of energy spent. I've built up my stamina a lot, but I'm still building my "magic" muscles, so to speak. I'm thinking wings would be a great bonus, but I'm wondering if I'm ready for the Magic "expenditure" it would cost me."

Arkie thinks for a while, then nods. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

She thinks of wings, on her back, behind her arms, stretching out wide. Her shoulders twitch and burn as if something hot is being applied to her back, between her shoulder blades. The top she's wearing seems to have shrunk since she put it on this morning. Shrugging, and then with a gasp, she shrieks in pain. "Oh, this hurts!! It's like fire on my back!! Bal, did you breathe on me?"

She tries to move her shoulders, tries to shake the burning coals off her back. Bending over, she collapses, kneeling on the bank of the river, there in the path in front of Bal. There's significant bulges now in her shirt.
balerion

Post by balerion »

"Use the amulet. It will take away most of the pain." Bale starts chanting an ancient dragon spell under his breath to birth the dream of flight.

Fires roaring
Winds soaring
Burning high
Through the sky

Air freezing
Water blowing
Unto her
Bring all knowing
Shaker of Castles
AuroraKiye

Post by AuroraKiye »

Dimly, she hears Bal's instruction and crooning song. The pain is so intense that it roars in her ears, to drown out everyone and everything. She finds the amulet with one hand, still using the other to brace herself against the earth.

The sound of tearing fabric goes unnoticed as she hears the thrum and throb of her pulse in her head, the pace of her beating heart keeping time with or causing the pain in her back.

She gasps, pain causing her to almost faint, then cool air and a lessening of the pain, and a strange weight on her back causes her to look back and see a most strange sight. Long feathers, pale and mostly the color of her hair, attached it seems to .... well... wings. Wings which move at her thoughts, she thinks move, and the wings move, gently flapping, cooling the air, stirring the dust on the path.

Surprise doesn't cover her emotion, nor does the sudden feeling of rightness. With a bound she jumps up and runs down the path, her wings flapping until she's airborne. She tries to turn away from the river, her wings flapping in the breeze. Caught by a sudden gust, and unable to right herself, she flies pellmell into a treebranch and ends in a pile at the bottom of a tree, unmoving.
balerion

Post by balerion »

Suprised that Arkie didn't take the tree down with her Balerion rushed over to her side. "Can you hear me? How many claws am I holding up? No orange isn't a number. You might be worse off than I thought." Balerion waits a few minutes wondering if he is going to have to call Dr. Bombay.
Shaker of Castles
AuroraKiye

Post by AuroraKiye »

Arkie wonders where she is for a moment, to have found a wing of dragons. She hears someone talking to her, but she can't figure out which one of the dragons she sees in front of her is talking. They all seem to be moving their mouths at the same time!!! Are they singing? She was sure she hadn't left Bravia, yet here she was in the midst of a great wing of dragons!!!

With much effort, Arkie focuses on the one in the middle, who seems to be the lead dragon. "Aren't you Bal?" she says with more than a little slur. "Orange?" she repeats what she's sure she heard. "I don't know any orange."

Weakly, she lifts a hand to her head, and winces. A full blown headache matches her backache, and both beat in unison to her heart.

Boom

Booom

Boom

Booom

She wearily sits down on the ground after a weak attempt to stand.

"Orange?"
balerion

Post by balerion »

You know you are gonna have to beat those faster if you ever want to take off. ;) Maybe if we gave you some chocolate it would speed things up a bit. :D
Shaker of Castles
AuroraKiye

Post by AuroraKiye »

She sits in the shade of the tree, her eyes and head slowly calm to where there's only one Bal, standing in front of her. "Where's your wing? I saw a wing of dragons!" She looks around, at first she moves very quickly to see the other dragons, but then as the horizon lurches she slowly moves her head to see the world.

"There's no other dragons here!!! Where did they all go to?" she questions Bal. The ringing in her ears has abated, and the earth has stopped moving, so she eases up onto her feet. As she stands, and her legs straighten, her arms pushing her from the earth, her wings flap onto the ground, stirring the leaves and debris, making a cloud of dust and causing a loud noise, which makes her wince.

She finally attains her height, and with spread apart feet, she slowly moves her wings, first just as a closed unit, then after a while, spreading them wide and flapping softly, slowly, just a bit. The warmth of the sun calls her, so she steps forward slowly, her wings and feet slowly becoming separate entities in her mind.

The sun helps dry the feathers, and as they dry, they harden to become real feathers.

The flapping of her wings at last has dried the feathers, and as she slowly flaps them, she feels the earth leave her feet, her weight becoming only a burden on the air.

Hovering now, she lifts slowly off the ground until her feet just skim the ground. She turns to face Bal, and awkwardly flies toward him. "Don't move! Here I come!!"

The joy of flight suddenly finds her, and her laughter is lighthearted and full.