Why is the mayor telling me who to vote for?

Moderator: Community Team

Zeffee

Why is the mayor telling me who to vote for?

Post by Zeffee »

I have received a mail from our current mayor advising me who deserves our vote in the mayoral elections.

As this was a mass mail that only the mayor can send, isn't this an abuse of office? It gives an unfair advantage to one candidate over another and was biased.

Shame on you, abusing your power and giving an advantage to your friend.

Can we file charges?

Zeffee walks away in disgust as she considers this nepotism and cheating.
Idra

Re: Why is the mayor telling me who to vote for?

Post by Idra »

Seeing as there are no current town laws, the answer to that is, "no." If you read the mail in it's entirety, it clearly states who SHE would vote for and who SHE thinks you should vote for, then goes on to say that she does not know the other candidate, therefore, can not publicly back that candidate. If you look at the current election results, Victorious is winning, by a slight margin. So please explain how this is an unfair advantage and bias. Again, the current mayor clearly stated that she was not telling anyone WHO to vote for, just who SHE would vote for.

Idra stands wondering how it is that she understands the human language better than the creature speaking.

By you raising such a fuss about the mail, one could argue that you are doing exactly what you are accusing Anabella of doing. Giving Victorious an unfair advantage by belittling the current mayor's choice of candidate. Remember female, your "gods" gave you free will. Anabella is not forcing anyone, as she clearly stated in her mail, to vote for any particular candidate.

((FYI, Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives regardless of merit. To the best of my knowledge, Anabella and Aingeal are not related. ;) A better example of Nepotism would be Amladris giving you the position of deacon when there are better candidates for said position, simply because you are his wife. Or, Saelav90 not being charged with abandonment of her council position because her wife is the Public Prosecutor and the only one able to file the charges. ))
Zeffee

Post by Zeffee »

Zeffee stares at the unknown creature spouting poison

The mayor is pushing her opinion and preference by using her ability to mass mail. That has to be wrong and unfair.

I am entitled, as a loyal citizen of Cork to point out when a public servant is abusing her office. Public servants should respect their office and not show bias as she has.

I will always do that and I won't let a creature like you gag me. If mayors abuse their office they don't deserve the office.

Zeffee turns her back on the cantankerous creature and walks away

(occ according to the Oxford English dictionary on my desk nepotism: the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs For the record.... I am not the deacon of Cork and please don't judge my husband by your standards..... he would never give me a job just because I'm his wife nor would I ever ask him to.)
Idra

Post by Idra »

Idra laughs heartily before replying.

You are not the only loyal citizen of Cork female, nor are you the only one entitled to an opinion. The mayor is well within her right to tell the citizens who she is wanting to vote for. She does not tell people to vote for Aingeal, not once. The only thing she tells the citizens to do, is to use their right to vote. Again, look at the election results, as they clearly show, Victorious is in the lead, therefore, your statement that the mass mail influencing the election is false. Would you have the same sentiment if your kin, Victorious, was the candidate that Anabella was voting for?

If you are so incensed with the, "abuse of power," why have you not spoken up about the movement of the castle? Why have you not spoken up any other reported abuses of power by the council? I tend to believe you are acting out simply because the mayor's opinion does not parallel yours.

And do not worry creature, you are not worthy of gagging. You may spout your opinions as you wish, just as I am entitled to do. If I may point out before I ignore the rest of your prattling, you state that if the mayor abuses his/her office, they do not deserve said office. By your statement, Anabella does not deserve the office. May I point out that regardless of whether or not Anabella deserves the office, she is not running for office, so ... that appears to be a moot point.

((READ what people write, did I say that Zeffee is the deacon? Nope. Merely gave EXAMPLES of what nepotism is.

Definition of NEPOTISM : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
From Merriam-Webster.

Furthermore, does Anabella state that she is friends with Aingeal, no, she does not. So again, the use of the word nepotism does not apply. In addition, I am not judging Zeffee's husband by my standards, but by the definition of the word you're attempting to use. ;) ))
Rieron

Post by Rieron »

Laughs after having heard the creature talking to the Orc then decides to speak in a semi serious with a hint mock in his tone

Actually I agree completely with what the Orc is saying simply because the Major is not abusing her power by stating who SHE would vote for and if this would have been Victorious I highly doubt you would be complaning at all because thats how your family runs. Another thing even if by some chance that would be considered abusing power, which it aint, there are no laws in cork stating what a mayor can and cant do with her temporary powers all of which includes messaging people with her OPINION on future candidates. Now if you do want to go by the laws of our nation then Ill state them carefully for your simple minded human brain so maybe you can comprehend them better.

I. Betrayal – Crimes of Betrayal are illegal and punishment may range from mild to serious. Betrayal may be categorized as:

a. Perjury – Intentional deception in a Bravian Court of Law.
b. Contempt of Court – Failure to appear in the Court of Law when summoned.
c. Abuse of Power - Any legally elected or appointed official who intentionally uses the powers of office for individual gain or the gain of another at the expense of the town, county, or citizens at large. This includes favoritism that has resulted in harm to the Viceroy or Town.
C being the important part (these are the laws of Bravia)

There is no individual gain or gain of another at the expense of the town, county or citizens. nor has it resulted in the harm of the viceroy or town. In other ways she couldnt be charged even if you wanted it so and as the Orc stated she still not breaking laws therefore your arguement is pointless...if you feel that the major is wrong well there are other choices such as challenging her to a duel in the arena. If not then remain silent.
~Mated to Scarlet~ |Father to Ryker, Narezza, and Aeron| Master Sorcerer, Sargent, and Priest of Cork ~Drachau of Tsera Fuerte~ "Pain is erased when inflicted upon others."
Zeffee

Post by Zeffee »

Zeffee sighs deeply

Argue about semantics all you like....

Fact: the Mayor sent a mail showing bias
Fact: she is a public servant and should not show bias
Fact: Doesn't matter who was involved with the election I would speak out as I have against previous mayors.
Fact: The current mayor involved me in this by sending me a mail, I have a right to object.
Fact: I don't normally get involved with politics because of aggressive people like you.

The fact you think it was acceptable shows a lot about your characters and how you conduct yourselves. I didn't look at the vote results, that was not the issue. I expected a mayor to have integrity and behave with honor and dignity..... as previous mayors have.

Seems you don't share my expectations or perhaps you just have lower standards.

Zeffee shrugs and thinks it explains why people don't want to get involved with council
Idra

Post by Idra »

Idra smiles as she hears the compliment wafting toward her through the winds.

Aggressive? Yes. People? No. I am an Orc, not a person. Orcs are warriors. Warriors are aggressive. Thank you for the compliment frail female.

Did I once say that the mayor's behavior is acceptable? No, I did not. I merely stated I see no laws being broken. I further stated, to coincide with your comment,
"I am entitled, as a loyal citizen of Cork...," that the mayor is a loyal citizen of Cork and is just as entitled to voice her opinion.

Anabella has been the mayor of Cork for a very, very long time, and before her, my troll. It seems you did not take issue with her "integrity," "dignity," and "honor" previously. To have your opinion change so quickly because the mayor asked the citizens of the town of Cork to use their right to vote does nothing less than flabbergast me.

In regard to your statement about bias, need I point out that your husband, Amladris, shows bias? He is a public servant as overseer of the temple is he not? His bias is toward the light side of the faith, I see NO dark way temples in this republic, even the backwards kingdom of Fenia has one dark way temple. Does that not show that HE is biased against those of us that follow the dark way? I believe it does show that your husband is biased.

Turning to continue on her path toward the arena, the one place where your metal speaks louder than your words, Idra takes pause and asks over her shoulder,

As I recall, I asked you a question, which you have yet to answer, Would you have the same sentiment if your kin, Victorious, was the candidate that Anabella was voting for?
Zeffee

Post by Zeffee »

Yet again you are judging me by your standards.

For 2 weeks now Victorious is kin by marriage and I have meet her perhaps a handful of times.

The mayor sent that letter..... of course I would have spoken out no matter who was standing for election.
I don't appreciate reading such bias letters over my morning tea.

You don't know me, yet you think you can cast aspersions on my character..... seems to be what you do.

Like I say ..... the fact you find that practice perfectly acceptable says far more about your morals than mine creature.

Zeffee now understands why people avoid these halls
Idra

Post by Idra »

Idra scratches her rear and looks at the frail female with a slight tinge of confusion.

Again, where do you recall me saying I find the practice acceptable? Where do you see me judging you by any standards other than your obvious frailty. You yourself can not see how YOU are judging me by your standards, yet you clearly know nothing of me either, nor anything of my race. Seems very hypocritical.

The simple matter at hand seems to be that you can not handle another creature confronting you about your confrontations. You ignore the questions and statements and instead run and hide behind your assumption that I, and the druchii, are finding any practice acceptable. You hide behind the false accusation that you are being judged by my standards, or that of the druchii. All the while doing the very thing you claim that I do.

And yes female, THAT is judging you, based of course on your actions and words that you have presented this day.

Utterly satisfied that it appears that the frail female is in a corner and can not comment on the comment of bias, nor any other questions posed, Idra saunters off the arena to meet her troll, hungrily awaiting another victory.
Rieron

Post by Rieron »

You are judged based on your words, your actions and with who you associate yourself with. From looking at you and knowing how your kin is...the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Now as for me and the orc being agressive well its simply because we are from a violent race. I am a Druchii and particularly dont like your kind nor your kin, your the last of them i have yet to bash in the arena. Any ways no laws are being broken or anything else for that matter just your pride because the mayor thought best Aingeal would do a better job than that other human whatever face. Like I said before human if you feel like the mayor is wrong then challenge her to the arena. As it stands there nothing else you can do for she is within every right to message who she pleases.

(OOC: Rieron is a druchii basically a very very *sighs thinking of a word for it* mean person and a black guard at that which tend to have very low patience. This is no way meant to be taken OOC. Im very different than Rieron, just want to clear that out just in case)
~Mated to Scarlet~ |Father to Ryker, Narezza, and Aeron| Master Sorcerer, Sargent, and Priest of Cork ~Drachau of Tsera Fuerte~ "Pain is erased when inflicted upon others."