[IRP] Romaniya a Amria

Moderator: Community Team

Scarlet

[IRP] Romaniya a Amria

Post by Scarlet »

Romaniya a Amria
(Traditions of the Cursed)

Scarlet looked around the new opening that she had chosen for herself in Cork. A small plot of veggies were off to the side and the river was clear and cool. With the summer heat it was a wonderful place to be for the moment. She knew she would get anxious eventually and wander to another spot but for now this was home.

Softly the vanners nibbled on what they found in the clearing mostly grasses and some wildflowers. Bast the hippogriff was off hunting something for food. She was glad that Bast understood that her vanners were not to be dinner. At least they all got along. Her camp was a simple one. Far from the bustle of the ones she grew up in. The Rai camp of the Kralisi. The Rani Shanglo running around protecting her mother and Scarlet even had one, but some how the magic that connected them was passed on to her sister when she was turned. Scarlet frowned she had not thought about the woman in a very long time.

Adara burst through the door of her vardo. Bringing with it an all too bright light spilling over books of history and lore. Scarlet blinked up at her Rani Shlango or her would be Rani Shlango as she had yet to become Kralisi. Adara was tall like her and instead of brownish locks that she sported, Adara had black hair like the night and green eyes. "Lalita ... you must come with me." The woman pressed before coming over and forcefully dragging Scarlet to her feet and out of the Vardo. "I told you that we were training today ... we have to work at working together."

Scarlet could almost feel her eyes roll at that one. She was only sixteen and becoming Kralisi was a long ways off. Besides her mother the current Kralisi had handed her a stack of books that she and Ehsia had to go through. Just because Scarlet was to be Kralisi didn't give her twin a free ride like it did with their other siblings. "Aye we can train ... but come on Simensa ... I have books and books to read."

Out of no where came a thwack that knocked Scarlet on her face in the dust. A loud laugh from Adara brought a growl from her lips. "And that is why we need to train."

Rani Shanglo = Lady of Law, Kralisi's personal guard and advisor
Kralisi = Queen
Last edited by Scarlet on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anya

Re: [IRP] Romaniya a Amria

Post by Anya »

Her green eyes moved over the dreadfully small camp that lay before her. This was not how a Kralisi camped nor set up her vardo. In fact she was supposed to be surrounded by people. Her people. Anya didn't care if Lalita was Marime, Lalita had been a wonderful Kralisi. Well until Anya couldn't save her from the Necromancer and the curse that followed. Anya would have even followed Lalita into the wilderness and away from the camp if the magical bond that connected them hadn't some how been transferred to the Wuzho Kralisi as Lalita's twins Rani Shanglo. A soft growl escaped her lips.

Lifetimes she had hoped to meet back up the Lalita and there she was. In a substandard camp with just her one Vardo and couple of Vanners. Lalita seemed to be preoccupied so Anya just moved her Vardo close and stayed inside. She was not sure how to introduce herself. Anya was her gaje name this life ... her Roma name Jaelle ... but then she was Adara. Lalita would not know her as such. It was a pain to see her goal so close and yet so far.

Kralisi = Roma Queen
Vardo = Roma Wagon
Lalita = Scarlet's Roma name, each Roma is born with three. One Roma, One Gaje or non Roma, and One a Secret.
Vanners = Refers to the Gypsy Vanner Horse
Marime = Unclean
Wuzho Kralisi = Title for the Pure Queen
Gaje = Non-Roma
Last edited by Anya on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

The campfire flickered against the darkness of the woods as the people started to get comfortable and relax. Another day of traveling would come the next day but for now everyone had warmth in their belly and contentment in their hearts. A low masculine laugh erupted with a chorus of child like giggles. “A story? The tales say we were many in the beginning, that we came from another land that was long ago destroyed. We were and still are a happy folk and we had many friends.” His tone was that of the Paramitsha. The tales of their people. “One day, as we were celebrating, a man came to our camp and as was usual we invited him in.”

A chorus of nods moved around the fire. This story was an old one but one that needed to be repeated. His eyes moved around the fire to the Scarlet who was sitting next to the Kralisi. Her sea blue eyes watched the man warily. The man just continued. “This, my children, was our mistake and was to be our curse. This man was a necromancer and he wanted us to serve him. We refused because we loved life, why then would we cheat death and serve chaos? In rage he cursed us, saying that we would forever wander never to settle in any land and that we would forever be outcasts. He then disappeared ... we laughed. The next day our land was destroyed by forces we could not contend with, undead stormed our homes, and many of us died or worse.”

The children gasped though they had to have heard the story before. To the strange woman the tale hit close to home. She remembered the day that the forces came down on their vardos and their families.

The visions continued to fill her mind as the man continued. “The survivors ran, we sought safety and refuge, but wherever we went it was always the same, we were refused for any number of reasons. We fled and regrouped on a mountain. Gathering we drew a circle and all there drew knives and shed blood on the earth. We vowed to forever serve balance, and to protect the land. When the last drop soaked into the ground a strange feeling came over us, the land seemed to embrace us. A voice was heard telling us that we would be cursed to wander yes, but we would be able to adopt those humans of like mind to be Roma, and that our blood being spilt to protect we had now the ability to curse those who would cause our deaths.”

We have wondered ever since protecting Tyrra and life. We revel in life and preserve it at all costs. Undead are our sworn enemies as are the Lycans. The Lycans? Why that is a tale for another time.” The man finished and with a few groans he held up his hands, “Yes, yes there are more tales, but that is enough for now. Now off with you. And pleasant dreams.”

It didn’t take long for those gathered to move to their Vardos and other sleeping spaces. No matter how Roma Scarlet was or how much she tried there was an uneasiness about her. It was like the other Romani could smell it on her. Her sea eyes flickered from the story teller and the Kralisi. “I mean no harm to you and your vitsa, simensa.” Simensa, to the Roma everyone was a simensa. They were all cousins somehow.

The Kralisi looked at her with more wisdom in her eyes than her wrinkled features seemed to have age. “You don’t age …. Prikasa.” Scarlet inwardly cringed at the name. Curses were not things that you kept around. Curses were things you sent from your camp. Over one hundred years she had been called such. “Yet you come to my camp and eat with my vitsa.” The Kralisi’s voice grew frigid as she spoke.

“I came because we are of the same line little niece. It was my sister that you came from that you earned your title from. I just need some food and some peace before I leave you again.”
“Ruv, you know the stories … we do not accept your kind.”
“But I am not like those that tried to come after us …. I was cursed … Kralisi, I just want to come home.”
“There is no vardo for you, Ruv. You were the one that laid with that necromancer's grandchild. You tried to curse us again. You are Mahrime. Mahrime. Mahrime.”

The Kralisi spat on the ground a ward for keeping the unclean out. She kept not calling her by name as was custom for those they thought and treated as dead. How Scarlet just wanted to be embraced again by her family to be part of the whole. An outcast was never a comfortable place for the Roma. However, there was no use arguing no matter how wrong the Kralisi was. She never laid with the Necromancer though the common thought was that she did. In the end she rallied her people to fight him and the undead hoards that rose up. Though the story was changed. Her sister the Wuzho Kralisi got the honor of fixing the mess she had created. Something her twin never wanted from the beginning. With a nod, Scarlet rose from her seat and pulled her red hood over her head. She could feel the magic within its folds that was keeping her ruv away. “Thank you for the dinner … Kralisi. It was nice to forget for a bit.”

The dream faded leaving Scarlet in her bed staring out the window. Her eyes blinked and focused on the trees outside. She could hear the river and the sounds of rain as it fell on the roof of her vardo. Softly she had pulled the blankets closer around her as she settled in further. There was some comfort to be had for her loneliness but it often didn't penetrate her dreams.

Silently she slipped from the coolness of her bed and got dressed. With a sigh she pulled her cloak tight about her and raised the hood before slipping out the door of her vardo. Scarlet paused before she headed to the wall and watched the purple vardo. She did from time to time since it had arrived. In her work as Deputy, Rieron even volunteered to kick down the door and find out who had stopped at her campsite. She had laughed but had assured him that she wouldn't be needing him to kick down any doors.

Her faith paid off. While she watched the door of the other vardo it opened and a woman watched her from the door way. The woman looked to be a few inches shorter than she was but looked formidable. Oddly she felt an old connection build as she watched the other woman. Maybe she was a descendant of Adara. It felt like the connection of her Rani Shanglo. "May the mages be blessed on your travels." Scarlet called out in usual greeting. "From what vitsa are you from?"

Kralisi = Queen
Paramitsa = Fairy Tale
Vitsa = Clan
Simensa = Cousin
Ruv = Wolf
Vardo = Romani Wagon
Prikasa = Curse
Mahrime = Unclean
Wuzho = Pure
Anya

Post by Anya »

"Nais tuke ... it is the Mages that brought me safely here." Anya responded back. The greeting was in a way a test. A test that she was Roma. In a way it brought a swell of pride to her heart. Lalita had kept their ways. Or at least some of them. "I am from the Raani Vitsa, Kralisi." Anya said confidently before she stepped out into the rain started to fall on her dry clothes and her hair. She wore her garb of the Rani Shanglo. Pants for easier movement, though she could kill a man just as easily in a skirt, and her sword fastened at her hip.

She could tell that information startled Lalita. "I have searched long and hard for you .... Please let me join your ...." Anya looked around at the two vardos. Only two vardos. "Camp." She settled on the word before turning her attention back to the woman in the red cloak. She shifted slightly hoping for an affirmative answer.

Lalita = Scarlet's gypsy name
Nais tuke = Thank you
Raani Vitsa, Kralisi = The Royal Clan, Queen
Vardo = Roma Wagon
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

.: October, Romani Camp :.

Anya stayed by her side as she walked from the camp, early pre-dawn light filtered through the trees as they rode. Silence and waking filled the woods with soft, muted sounds of the world waking up. The other woman clinging to her like a shadow and it would have made Scarlet laugh except that she was on a business run and not just some fun flight of fancy. Their Vanners moved along as they rode through the forest and towards the Traveller’s camp in town. “You know … I don’t say this often but I agree with your … mate.” Anya commented almost grumpily as they moved. Scarlet could only laugh under her breath and shake her head. “You like to put yourself at too much risk, Kralisi.”

“I’m not Kralisi any more. You don’t need to call me that.”
“We still have the connection, you are my Kralisi. Whether you want to lie to yourself or not doesn’t change what I think.”

“Fine … just don’t mention it while in Camp.” Scarlet reminded the other woman as they pulled up to the fringes of the camp. There were many vardos with this group. At least 30 different ones she could see. Small for a normal group of Traveller’s but still much larger than her own camp. Dismounting the Vanners both women moved around the edges of the camp not entering until they spotted the vardo of the Drabarni or Medicine Woman.

Outside the vardo there was a boy sitting on the step and a girl seemed to peek through the window as they approached. Smells wafted from the boy as she looked at him. Wolf. It was a shock to Scarlet. Those that were change-able were usually thrown out of the camp. And here the boy sat at the door of the Drabarni. He startled as he saw Scarlet but moved to open the door of the Vardo. “Kralisi … Dai has been waiting to see you.”

If his Dai had been anyone other than the Drabarni it would have spooked Scarlet. The woman would be good at herbs, telling the future, and even Romani Magic if she was strong enough. Drabarni was a calling that spoke down family lines. Dai to Chikni it flowed. Sometimes it would pass to Chikno but it was rare. And sometimes created unwanted side effects. Anya moved passed Scarlet to check out the vardo before she came out and ushered Scarlet in. “All’s safe …” The woman’s voice was brief before Scarlet set foot in the vardo.

The vardo was filled with herbs and drying flowers. Most were medicinal that Scarlet could identify but she had nowhere near the skill of a Drabarni. Compared to the woman, Scarlet was a dabbling novice that hoped to be competent one day. Finally her eyes settled on a woman sitting at a table and the small girl she had seen in the window. “Forgive Anya...”

“She’s Rani Shanglo, I would expect no less, Kralisi.” The woman cut her off before Scarlet could apologize. She was not Kralisi any more but it didn’t seem to deter any of these people from calling her such. “I know the real story … not the one told around the campfire to keep children from straying into the hands of the Necromancers … and to keep them away from those that would harm us. I know why you were really changed and exiled. The Drabarni pass down the real story as well as the Rani Shanglo. You asked for it and you even let them vilify you and speak untruths.”

Scarlet sat down and watched the other woman unsure what to say. She had asked for it but it was that or watch the others cut down her family. She couldn’t live with knowing that she would have been the death of her whole family. “I’m surprised. The Kralisi I have met don’t know or if they do they still turn me out of the camp.” She settled into her seat and tried to look the Kralisi she was. Strong and proud. “But that isn’t why I came here. I have a mate … and things have been changing … I needed to make sure, to see, if I was with child. I know it’s probably too early to know but I had to talk, I guess.”

“Well … we should take a look then shouldn’t we?” The woman said warmly before standing and motioning Scarlet closer to do a check up. There were physical exams and magical ones. The woman’s hands were warm as they moved over her abdomen. The woman’s eyes were curious as she worked. “Your mate … he has strong magic as does the wolf in you. The seed isn’t firmly planted yet … but it is ready to grow. And it will grow into a strong being.” The Drabarni sounded almost awed by her findings.

“So there will be a baby?”
“Yes, your body is very welcoming for a seed and there is one ready to grow. In a week or so you will have all the tell tale signs. Illness and the like.”
“I’m starving all the time now.”
“Your child will have strong magic … so your body is preparing for what that growth will mean for you. In a few months that will settle down.”

Scarlet was shocked. She wasn’t sure what to say or do. Many years she had wanted this. A mate, a child, a family of her own. But it had been many many years since she had given up hope that would be a possibility. “So I’m pregnant?” The words tumbled out of her mouth. The Drabarni just nodded at her, before Scarlet moved to pull her coin pouch. “How much do I owe you?”

“Nothing but maybe you can help me. You met my chikno … you know what he is.” Scarlet nodded, “Soon the others will find out and … he’ll be mahrime. Your child is going to be … strong and might even affect how you will carry the child. Let us move to your camp where my son will be safe and I’ll watch your pregnancy progress. Keep you and the baby safe.” The woman looked at her desperately.

“What’s your name, Drabarni … your children?”
“Anselina … my chikni Nataliya … and my chikno Brishan. We know the ways of camp and I have noticed that you hang around with puyuria … they live with you. I need to keep my chikno, Kralisi. Please help.”

Scarlet nodded softly thinking. Rieron, for good reason, was protective about who would live in the camp. The decision was her’s but after Aingeal’s capture they all kept the camp on lock down. Rania would be moving in that day, what would it be like to have a whole family move in. “You have to vow you will keep an eye on me and the baby safe.” Anselina nodded almost furiously. “Okay … send Brishan later to the tavern for directions and you can move in by the end of the day. I will see you tonight.” Scarlet moved and stood to move to the door.

“Nais tuke, Kralisi … nais tuke. I have a way to make sure that the seed is firmly planted now so there is no chance later on.” Scarlet looked at the woman and nodded softly. She wasn’t sure if she wanted that. Was there enough magic already floating around, was more needed?

“I will think on it … just be sure to send Brishan later … I can talk to him about his wolf as well.” Scarlet nodded again before heading out of the vardo. With a quick movement she mounted her vanner and rode back to town. Her head muddled and distracted as they moved. She was pregnant. A baby would come.

Kralisi = Queen
Drabarni = Medicine Woman
Dai = Mother
Chikni = Daughter
Chikno = Son
Brishan

Post by Brishan »

Life was strange for Brishan. A few moons ago he noticed a difference. His anger came quicker and he could feel, what his dai called, a wolf in the back of his mind. The wolf would pace back and forth over and over as if it wanted release. When the full moon came about his dai would hand him a drink and he could sleep for up to three days. Dai said that it was for his protection and that of the camp but he wanted to learn how to keep the wolf caged.

He was out getting wood for the stove inside his family's vardo as the two women pulled up. He dismissed the one in pants easily. She was a protector for the one that held Brishan's attention. The joovi was tall, much taller than most joovi he knew her eyes were a bright blue and warm. But the thing that startled him the most was that his wolf could sense the wolf in her. She paid a passing glance at him before entering the vardo with dai. Which left him with the protector. All he could do was stay close to the vardo as the protector joovi basically stood there silently and guarded the door.

After what seemed to be an eternity the wolf woman left and so did the protector. "We'll be moving to her camp." His mother whispered to him and Nataliya. "She can help you learn about your wolf ... chikno." With that they were moving. The world he had always known and the people he had always lived with he was probably never going to see again. Within a few hours the vardo was packed up and they had left the camp. With a few long looks he turned and helped his dai move the vanners and the vardo to their new home. With the wolf lady.

Dai = mother
Joovi = women/woman
Chikno = son
Last edited by Brishan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

It was dark in the pre-dawn light as the two of them stood at the crossroads. One road led back to the camp and the other towards the docks and the ship that was bound for Naggaroth. Sadness filled Scarlet’s heart but on the outside she didn’t show it. She gave her word that she would be strong and to not cry about Rieron’s departure.

They didn’t need words so she silently held out a necklace covered with a red cloth. Her gift to him so he would remember their life together and the future they would spend together when he returned. His eyes looked up at her and she explained. “This was given to me by my mother when I became Kralisi. She said that it would protect me in my endeavors and keep me safe for my family.” She paused and held his gaze before reaching her hand up to caress his cheek. “I know you don’t need it … however, I want to keep you safe, Ves’tacha. I love you.” Scarlet whispered as the sun rose further in the sky.
In his hand he held a piece of paper and a silver chain with a solitary red diamond. “This is my oldest possession, Amor.” He whispered, knowing he didn’t need to stay more, as she softly looped the silver chain about her neck and moved to kiss him deeply holding him in her arms a bit longer. “On the paper is a poem of things I wish I could say.” With another kiss and another hug he moved off down the road and towards the ship that would take him away. “Don’t forget I love you more, Amor.” He teased into the wind as he continued to walk.

When he passed out of sight, Scarlet continued to watch the road. There was nothing productive about her vigil. It wouldn’t bring him back, however, it made her feel more connected to her mate. Softly her hands brushed the skirts that protected her belly as she thought of the last few months.

She and her mate were an odd combination to say the least. A light creature and a dark creature. The babe in her belly was a culmination of the strange events that brought them together. Now her mate continued towards his old home in order to put away past things. Roma never spoke of dead things giving them names and she wondered if the past could be a similar creature. The thought kept her mind away from the pain in her heart. Half of her felt ripped from her breast and left to lay bleeding until he returned.

After a long moment she looked down at the paper in her hands. The words he couldn’t say. She held back her tears as she read the words and physically held herself up taller and stronger. After she read the words she folded the paper and tucked it into the folds of her skirts.
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
You make me feel like I am whole again

You make me feel like I am young again
You make me feel like I am fun again

However far away, I will always love you
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you

You make me feel like I am free again
You make me feel like I am clean again

I will always love you

You make me feel like I am free again
You make me feel like I am clean again

I will always love you

By Robert Smith
A soft smile pressed to her lips before she turned and walked back to her tent in the army camp. Each step pulling her further away. As she walked, Scarlet held her head high and her back straight. Not a tear crossed her cheeks. She was Roma and they took promises seriously. Especially with their own.

Kralisi = Queen
Ves’tacha = Beloved or Love
Amor = Love