[CRP] Te'sorthene: Romipen a Pani Nevi

Moderator: Community Team

Scarlet

[CRP] Te'sorthene: Romipen a Pani Nevi

Post by Scarlet »

Te'sorthene: Romipen a Pani Nevi = Family Through Spirit: Gypsy-hood through Pure Water (Baptism)
.: Te'sorthene Camp :: Outskirts of Cork :.

A big smile crossed her face as she looked around the large tent. The lanterns and fabrics were warm and vibrant; casting warm hues across Scarlet's face and body as she moved around the roomy tent. The tent was separated into two sections by a divider. In one section couches and cushions for sitting and relaxing were placed around a table for food. A stove was in the middle of the tent with wood piled by the side to keep them warm through the chilly fall days and nights. The other section had two beds for them to sleep in. If it was birthing time there would have only been one.

Scarlet's hand brushed her belly as she thought about the next probable time she would be back in the tent. When it was her child's time to join their camp. Her thoughts flitted over the joy of the upcoming baby and the joy Aingeal joining her people just made the day more exciting. She moved and put out a plate of dried fruits next to the plate of breads with butter and other more Roma dishes. Water from the river was in a pitcher as well as some different juices that Idunno was good to offer Scarlet for the eight days they would be secluded.

Alcohol and gaje would not be permitted through out the seclusion. During the eight days in the tent, Aingeal would learn about her people and learn the language that all Roma spoke. Anselina and Anya might make appearances to explain or tell different tales. But Scarlet and Aingeal would not leave during that time. At the end of the eight days there would be Aingeal's baptism and a feast to welcome her into the Roma family.

Stepping from the tent, Scarlet looked to the sky. It was the darkest part of night just before the dawn. As the sky began to lighten she made her way to Aingeal's vardo to get her shaia and bring her to the ceremony tent.

gaje - non-roma
shaia - sister by choice
Aingeal

Re: [CRP] Te'sorthene: Romipen a Pani Nevi

Post by Aingeal »

Aingeal sat in her vardo, looking out the small window at the moon. She had said her goodbyes to Anessen privately, then went to the town hall to be sure things were ready for Rania. Rania was going to do the things needed while Aing was in seclusion. Anessen was going to keep up with the walls, so things there were sorted. She had packed a small bag of things she would need for the week, and now it was time to sleep.

Aing thought about the last few years since she had left her father's home. She had refused the arranged marriage that was set up for her, leaving her father and brothers behind. That life was over for her. Once she came to Secfenia, she thought she had found a new life. Her time with the king was bittersweet, things happened outside her control. Eventually she moved to Spirus and found Jacob. Again she thought she found her new family and life. The stars didn't align, more issues ensued and this is where she found herself today.

For the first time in a long time she felt as part of a family. Scarlet accepted her for who she was, and when an opportunity presented her the possiblity of become thick as blood she jumped at the chance. Some things would change, but only for the better.

Aingeal sighed softly. Tonight was the night to dwell on the past, tomorrow would begin a new chapter of her life. Scarlet and the camp would be her family now; and Mages willing Anessen would join her. Slipping off her boots she put them in her chest. beside them she put her dagger, as well as the emerald bracelet and necklace that were gifts. Gifts from a past she was eager to leave behind. Perhaps on day she would wear them as ornaments, but from this day on she really didn't need them any longer.

Getting ready for bed, she reached for the brush and began running it through her hair. The rythmic strokes helped to calm her mind. Setting the brush aside she began to plait her hair for sleep. Slipping into her bed she knew that in a few hours the sun would peek over the horizon and Scarlet would come for her. She drifted to sleep, thoughts of her journy ahead, and the new life that awaited her as Roma.
Mother to Amara, Wife to Anessen, Guard of Fenia
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

As Scarlet moved through the camp, parts started to wake up. Anya was the first to emerge. The woman was in her usual leggings and sword attached to her hip. Scarlet nodded to Anya as Anselina joined their group. The Drabarni was dressed in her usual skirts. As more true Roma joined the camp Scarlet had started to move from her toned down wardrobe to one that she used to wear a long time ago. Her skirts made a tinkling sound as the little coins tied into the scarves around her waist tapped each other. "Are we ready?" Scarlet's voice was quiet in the brightening day.

"Yes, Kralisi." The longer that Anya was in the camp the more Scarlet just let the title slide every time it tumbled from Anya's lips. "I will keep an eye on Rania and Anselina will watch over the little ones." Her words were susinct as she spoke, more like an officer in the army than a Roma. Scarlet glanced at Anya and watched the other woman look over the area searching for potential threats.

"Have you ever done this ceremony before?" Anselina spoke as she moved her hands over her skirts to make sure she was presentable. This ceremony was rarely done so there was an added anticipation to what the next eight days would bring. Scarlet shrugged softly as she watched Aingeal's door. "You are the one to start the ceremony, Kralisi." Scarlet nodded and wet her lips softly before going up and knocking on Aingeal's door. Taking a step back she stood with the other women.

As Aingeal came to the door Scarlet placed a finger to her lips for Aingeal to listen to the beginnings of the ceremony. "Here you stand, on the verge of being born to a new life and a new family. For the Roma family is the vardo we all live in and with. When you enter the tent you will reach a rebirth from your old life and to the next life."

"When a new baby is born to the Roma, they are secluded for eight days with their dai. During that time they grow and learn about Roma things and Roma ways. Everything you will learn will be kept within your Roma family. From this time forth you will be our simensa. And on the eighth day you will recieve your Roma name and take your rightful place with your new family." Anselina continued before Anya added.

"Scarlet, your shaia, has offered to take the place of a dai in this ceremony. She will teach you our ways and be with you during your seclusion. While you are in there, like a newborn, your name cannot be uttered. So we will call you shaia and simensa." Anya finished before the three of them turned and walked Aingeal to the tent. Once Scarlet stepped inside she waited for Aingeal to enter and Anya with Anselina closed the tent flaps. A surge of magic coursed through the tent and practically hummed. As the magic settled Scarlet moved and hugged Aingeal tightly and whispered a name so softly and quietly into Aingeal's ear she knew the other woman wouldn't be able to hear what she said.

"We have breakfast laid out. We should sit and I will begin to tell you our stories." Scarlet smiled before ushering her over to where the cushions and the food was placed. "Let me tell you first why we Roma have no home other than our vardos .... a long time ago ....." Scarlet started the tale as she and her shaia sat down with food and drink.

shaia = sister by spirit
simensa = cousin
dai = mother
drabarni = medicine woman
kralisi = queen
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

Sleep eluded Aingeal, and finally in the few moments before dawn, Aingeal gave up on sleep and pulled herself from the bed. Going to the wash basin she took care of her morning routines and dressed for the day. Simple clothes was all she donned, leggins and a tunic cinched with a belt.

Sitting an running the brush through her hair, Aingeal's thoughts wandered. A knock sounded on the door, and placing the brush back on the table Aingeal went to answer. Opening the door she saw Scarlet, Anya and Anselina waiting for her. Scarlet had put her finger to her lips, so Aingeal didn't great the trio, but listened. After Scarlet spoke Aingeal headed to join them, walking along as Anselina and Anya added in bits as well.

Aigneal had been informed of the customs, and some was already information she had heard. She was slightly surprised that Scarlet would take the role of dai*; and that alone brought a tear to her eye. Soon they were at the tent, and Aingeal hesitated slightly, looking over her shoulder; almost as she was glancing one last time at her old life. Nodding she entered the tent, aware that Anya and Anselina followed behind her. With the swish of the flap closing, the tent almost seemed to hum with energy. It was similar to energies she had felt around Project towards the end a sense of magic.

Scarlet pulled Aingeal into a hug and whispered in her ear, but so low Aigneal couldn't make out the name. She didn't question it though, as it was part of the ceremony. Letting Scarlet lead her over to the cushions, Aigneal sank down on the cushions looking at the food laided out for them. Picking up a plate of fruit and a glass of juice, Aingeal listened to the first story she was told, more keenly aware of her surroundings, and a great desire to learn all she can from her Shaia.*

*please see previous posts for translation
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet sat down with a glass of juice and some dried fruits. Before she continued her story she took a deep draw of the juice as she settled into the couch more. Her eyes moved over her shaia and smiled. It was great to see the interest in the other woman. "The tales say we were many in the beginning, that we came from another land that was long ago destroyed. We were once a still people but when our lands were destroyed we took to the vardos and a pact was made with the Vanner Spirits, however that is a tale for another time. In the beginning we were and still are a happy folk and we had many friends."

One day, as we were celebrating, a man came to our camp and as was usual we invited him in. This, shaia, was our mistake and was to be our curse. This man was a necromancer and he wanted us to serve him. We refused because we loved life, why then would we cheat death and serve chaos? In rage he cursed us, saying that we would forever wander never to settle in any land and that we would forever be outcasts. He then disappeared and we laughed. The next day our land was destroyed by forces we could not contend with, undead stormed our homes, the Lycans came and raged war over our homes against the Undead but not for us, and many of us died or worse." Scarlet frowned before eating another dried piece of apricot and drinking more juice. She remembered back to when her dadro would tell the tale around the campfire. How his baritone voice would reverberate around the vardos and through the camp as a living voice. Breathing life into their stories.

"The survivors ran, we sought safety and refuge, but wherever we went it was always the same, we were refused for any number of reasons. We fled and regrouped on a mountain. Gathering we drew a circle and all there drew knives and shed blood on the earth. We vowed to forever serve balance, and to protect the land. When the last drop soaked into the ground a strange feeling came over us, the land seemed to embrace us. A voice was heard telling us that we would be cursed to wander yes, but we would be able to adopt those humans of like mind to be Roma, and that our blood being spilt to protect we had now the ability to curse those who would cause our deaths."

"We have wandered ever since protecting Tyrra and life. We revel in life and preserve it at all costs. Undead are our sworn enemies as are the Lycan." Scarlet paused and ate some more before getting more juice. "When I was growing up in the camps of my childhood it was my dadro, my father, that would tell the Paramitsa, the gaje would call them fairy tales, and he would speak of our histories. We would have to memorize the titles of past heroes for we Roma do not speak the names of those that have passed. That encourages the mulo or bad spirits to come after us. They can take over our bodies and try to walk Tyrra in our bodies. Because of our connection to Tyrra they are able to; so we Roma must be careful to not mention the dead."

Scarlet finished her juice and leaned forward to talk more about the mulo and tales of warning on how they would take over bodies and the poor moosh and joovi that the mulo take over and make crazy trying to live out the lives they once had and harming the camps of Roma. The early histories weren't pleasant after a time. Hours ticked as Scarlet spoke taking sips of juice and water as they would eat. Around lunch they paused the tales as they ate lunch. More and more Scarlet would speak in Shelta the language of their people. With the magic of the tent she knew that Aingeal would understand more without her needing to translate.

Shelta was a beautiful and mixed language. Like the vardo which was a living wagon so was the language. It breathed and adapted to the cultures it came into contact with and incorporated slang and phrases. Some said that they could learn languages easier because their language flowed from all that there was maybe from a time where the whole world spoke the same words. Finally as dinner was presented, Scarlet had already told her the tale of how the Vanners' fate became entwined with theirs and how the first vardo was breathed and came into being because of living trees offering to protect them and keep the Roma safe. How because of their outcast nature the gaje distrusted them and that they would never be one with the gaje. "Then there came the time of legend. Our people had been roaming Tyrra we were lead by a council instead of a Kralisi. Some of the council were turning to the gaje ways. In the council there was a woman, she sat in the first seat. Her family was a strong one. She had many children that displayed the core traits of different legends. Kalderasha, the seer and healer, Lowara, the tinker and craftsmen, Usari, entertainers and animal people, and Raani, the ability to see the needs of the people and able to lead." Scarlet hesitated as she mentioned her dai. Images flit across her mind as she remembered the woman. The warmth of her eyes and hair. How she had turned them into one people again not a separating group. The traditions were upheld they needed to be for the Roma to survive.

"She had the power of Raani. Through will and determination she brought the Roma together under one ruler, the Kralisi. She was our first Kralisi and brought peace to our people so she is remembered as the Pakiv, or peace, Kralisi. Her reign was a good time for the Roma and now all of us can paint our lineage back to her through her numerous children. In order to keep peace a new position was held, the Rani Shanglo or Lady Law. Anya is or was Rani Shanglo in a past life to the Pakiv Kralisi's eldest daughter. And first to bear the title. All Kralisi look for strong mates because with the gaje and different familia ties their position can be a precarious one. Protection is vital for the Kralisi to do her job. The Rani Shanglo is a magical line that jumps to who would be the best protector for that Kralisi. There is a bond between them tighter than blood." Scarlet paused before continuing, clearing her throat which was becoming tired with all the tales she took another deep draw of juice before continuing to the hard part of the history. Her betrayal of her people. Slowly Scarlet began to tell her story. How she was one of twins and her sister was just enough younger than her that Scarlet was the clear successor to become Kralisi. She continued onto her childhood and growing up in the camp; how she was betrothed to a moosh that was strong but there was no other connection between the two. About how she ran into a gaje in town and there was this immediate connection between them and a kinship she craved from one that would be her mate.

"It turned out that he was the descendant of the necromancer that caused us to loose our homes. My connection with him spread rumors that we had behaved as mates and that I was no longer pure enough for my marriage. It was a lie but to a mass of people there was no telling them the truth." Scarlet sat up straighter. Her shaia would learn the truth where the other Roma would talk about her as a horror story to keep chikni in line. Purity of line was key and to Scarlet's mating she had remained pure. "They started to call me the Marime Kralisi ... the unclean one and I was to go through a cleansing process when the necromancer attacked us. Bringing the Undead against us again and killing many. I fought in the battles and lead people against the hoards that came against us. When the battle was ended instead of just a cleansing people were calling for my death. For how I betrayed them. For the blood that was spilled."

Other Roma are then told of how I was unrepentant and that my actions in the battle were small. But I desperately wanted to be clean again. I made a foolish mistake. So as punishment and as a way to keep the people together I was turned into our other enemy. Lycan. In my wolf form I was created to be a dire wolf so that all would know of my unnaturalness. And I was to be pulled from the cycle of life. Never to age and never to die. Ever since I have been striving to be good enough to go back but this will never be. It took me a long long time to realize that." Another long draw of juice felt good against her throat. She sat up straighter more regal as if it was a mask that would protect her. Scarlet knew that her shaia wouldn't be fooled but she did it for herself. Softly she poured herself another large glass of juice and took her time taking a deep draw from it. "So history calls me the Marime Kralisi ... my twin was then called Wutzo or Pure. She ruled the Roma well and the people started to flourish again in peace for many many years and centuries."

dadro = father
dai = mother
moosh = men
joovi = women
shaia = sister
Tyrra = what the Roma call Earth (aka Mother Earth)
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

Aingeal nibbled on some of the food and sipped her drink as Scarlet began to tell the stories. She was entralled as the tales went back to the beginning, detailing out the way things were today. Aingeal started to have a deeper understanding of the culture, and a hunger to learn more.

The day wore on, and more stories were told. Soon Scarlet was speaking in a mixture of languages, and surprisingly Aingeal had no trouble understanding them. She was unsure how this was possible, but wasn't going to question the ability.

A small lunch was prepared and the stories paused for a bit, then resumed when the plates were cleared away. Eventually it was time for Scarlet to tell Aing her own story, and Aingeal listened with rapt attention. Ever since that day in the tavern when Scarlet 'changed'; Aingeal was curious about Scarlet's history. She was surprised to learn that Scarlet was a twin, and listened to tales of her childhood.

She then embellished a bit on the story she told Aing a week or two ago, about the gaje she met once, and caused a lot of pain. It was only now that Aing could see what Scarlet was worried about in regards to herself and Anessen. The fear of history repeating itself, or worse manifesting itself. A mutual understanding passed between the pair, and even though Scarlet attempted to put a mask on, Aingeal knew different.

Talking a long drink of her juice, she set her glass down and reached over to hug Scarlet. No words were needed, but Aingeal wanted to be sure that Scarlet knew she didn't think like the others. Everyone had a past, and it was what was learned and gained from the past that defined a person, and she had learned you can't let the past control you.

Stiffling a yawn Aingeal covered her mouth. I'm getting tired Shaia, she said, stretching a bit.
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

.: Day 6 :: Te'sorthene Tent :.
Life in the tent was interesting. After the first day of telling histories the second day was followed up by other tales. Like how the fiddle was created and other stories that families would tell around the campfire. The next day was all about the Vanner and how they came to be Roma companions and how important they were to a nomadic people. Aingeal was asked questions more and more her words more shelta than common tongue. Scarlet was having a good time as the two of them spoke. Anselina would come in with different tales and Anya would come in with food.

Over all it was a good time. Scarlet was going over Roma cleaning as Anselina and Anya brought in some tubs. Anya didn't look happy and neither did Anselina. "What's going on simensa?" Scarlet whispered under her breath to Anya as Brishan and Anselina brought in buckets of water for a bath. Baths weren't something that was usually done. The only way to bathe was running water but the water in the buckets would have been freshly pulled from the river before being heated so they could wash. "You look troubled." Anya whispered back about Cathrina leaving their camp and moving to Imperius. Scarlet frowned but didn't say a word before the others left the tent and it was time for their bath.

After a few moments both women were in tubs on two different sides of a divider. The water felt wonderful against her body. A cleansing wash from the last few days. Softly she sunk further into the water as she washed herself slowly. "So I've told you my stories ... tell me about you shaia ... tell me about the life you once had."

shaia = sister
simensa = cousin
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

The days pasted both slowly and quickly. Aingeal was learning a lot, trying to absorb it all in and remember most. More and more the Shelta language flowed between the pair; she wasn't even sure how she knew it, but she did.

This days lesson was about Roma cleaning, and she watched as Anselina and Brishan brought water in to fill two tubs sitting on opposites sides of a screen. It was on her tongue to ask young Brishan if he knew how Rania fared, but she was sure Scarlet would frown upon that. Aing watched Anya and Scarlet whisper, a frown crossing her shaia's face but not saying a word.

When everyone left, Aingeal went to her side, stripping down and stepping in the tub carefully. Slowly sinking into the water, she sighed softly. Her mind wandered back to the last bath she had and a soft smile crossed her face, and she was thankful that they were on opposite sides of the screen. Slipping beneath the surface of the water, she wet her hair before coming back up to hear Scarlet ask, "So I've told you my stories ... tell me about you shaia ... tell me about the life you once had."

Picking up a rag, she began to wash herself slowly as she spoke. You've heard most of it over the past few months, she said. My mother died when I was born, I was raised by my father and my three brothers. Because I wouldn't accept an arranged marriage, I had to leave my family home, she said softly, dunking beneath the water again.

She told Scarlet about her time in Fenia, with the king. At the beginning of the story, her voice was filled with happiness and light. As the story wore on, her voice turned darker and sader. She told Scarlet of the harem, and how ones she thought were friends hurt her the most. She told of her time in Spirus, the good and the bad. How she met Jacob and what had happened there. How she had done a spell to turn back time, and sometimes she wished she could go back and not do it.

She ended her story with her time in Cork, mayoring and best of all Anessen. Too soon the water cooled, and picking up a towel Aingea stood up to dry off. Putting on a robe that was hanging for her nearby she cinched it tight before going back out and taking a seat on one of the couches. Waiting for Scarlet to join her she smiled as her shaia joined her. Of course best of all, I have found a family again... she said, picking up a glass and taking a drink.

shaia=sister
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet smiled as her shaia told her tale. Most of it she knew but it was good to not be the only one talking. Both of them had commiserated on the woes of an arranged marriage and what it was like to move past that. Softly Scarlet closed her eyes after washing and just listened. Softly her hands moved over her belly wondering what sort of parent she would become and what her child would be like. Would she have a girl or a boy. Would the babe be more like her or more like Rieron. All the questions flitted in the background as she paid attention to the other woman's history.

After the bath she dried and wrapped a deep red robe around her body and moved to the couches and poured herself some juice before sitting down. "Yes family is good." She grinned at her shaia before relaxing into the couches more and pulling her feet up under her as she sipped the juice and watched the other woman. The sounds of the woods permeated the tent as well as the crackling of the fire inside the tent. The whole world seemed to be pulsating and alive around them.

Softly she pulled a brush from the table and ran it through her hair as she sat in thought for a bit. "I'm glad you chose to become my blood kin, shaia. It's a great honor for me." She smiled again as she continued to pull the brush through her hair and let the fire heat her body and the tent more. Her body was already warmer than most humans because of her Lycan side. Inwardly she smiled at how Rieron would make comment about her keeping him warm.

"Two more days ... then your baptism. I think it will be a wonderful experience. I had you pick a Roma name, which we can't use yet, but that is for the other Roma in Camp. I'll let them tell you their names. My Roma name is Lalita." Scarlet took a deep draw of juice before continuing to explain the importance of names and why a baby isn't named for eight days. About how important names were. That they had three names to protect them from the mulo. The first name was secret and was the name Scarlet whispered to her shaia as she walked into the tent, the second was the Roma name which is what the family would call them, and finally the gaje name which is what the world would call them.

shaia = sister
gaje = non-roma
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

Aingeal also pulled out her brush and began running it through her red waves. Scarlet explained about the whole naming process, and Aingeal nodded. She had picked out her Roma name, but didn't speak it out loud because it wasn't time. She remembered Scarlet whispering when they entered the tent, remembered the magic rolling over her.

Aingeal absently sat plaiting her hair, a normal task for her. Pulling her hair over her shoulder she smiled at Scarlet. You honor me by allowing me to join you Shaia, she said. She fiddled with the ends of her braid, thinking over the last few days. She had learned a lot from Scarlet, and knew she could only learn more.

Aingeal curled up snuggling deep into her robe and watched the flames flicker, the golden glow almost hypnotizing and she curled her feet under her, resting her head on the arm of the couch beginning to let sleep overtake her.