[ORP] Building A Vardo (and more)

Moderator: Community Team

Devereaux

[ORP] Building A Vardo (and more)

Post by Devereaux »

Devereaux jerked awake from a nightmare he couldn’t remember. How did he know it was a nightmare then? Because his heart thundered in his chest from the adrenaline that coursed through his veins and sweat covered his skin, his muscles taut as a harp string.

Groaning, he pressed a hand to his sweaty forehead and then swept it down his face. The ever present stubble on his cheeks and chin scratched across the pads of his fingers as they passed. Devereaux was one of those men that truly needed to shave twice a day to stay smooth and truth be told, he didn’t particularly care for shaving. If it weren’t for the fact that a beard itched infernally he wouldn’t bother at all. That and lice… The Roma in him shuddered at that thought.

He took a few minutes to go through his plan for the day as his pulse calmed and his muscles relaxed. By the lack of light and sound he knew it was a positively unholy hour to be awake; Brishan would be a while yet before arriving so Devereaux had time to laze about and bathe and feed himself. They couldn’t work in the dark anyway.

A small frown creased his brow then. He knew something of the boy’s history as well as the mother’s. Given Scarlet’s own history it made sense that they should join her Caravan. But Devereaux wasn’t certain that the boy ought to be spending so much time with him; not that he didn’t enjoy the company (despite his inexhaustible energy and curiosity) but because of Devereaux’s dark and violent past. After so very long living as one thing trying to come back and live as something entirely different was not an easy task. If he told the boy he could no longer help it would break his heart. Was he willing to trade that for the knowledge that he would be safer away from him? He didn’t have an answer for that.

Devereaux growled in frustration and threw the blankets off of his body, resolutely pushing that train of thought from his mind. It was far, far too early for any soul searching anyway. Especially on an empty belly.

~~~~~~

Properly bathed and fed, Devereaux sat on a stump outside his tent, sharpening the blade on of his many daggers and waiting for Brishan to make an appearance. The sun was just beginning to crest over the horizon. He knew it wouldn’t be long now.

*Edited for typos
Last edited by Devereaux on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anselina

Re: [ORP] Building A Vardo (and more)

Post by Anselina »

It was an unholy hour to be up but something about the day called to her. Natalya, her little girl, snuggled closer into her arms as she could hear Brishan still lightly sleeping on his bed under hers. She smiled a bit thinking of how Brishan was working around the camp. Before he would only do just enough to get Anselina to let him go off and play. Moving softly she slipped from the bed and let Natalya snuggle into her side of the bed as her bare feet landed on the floor.

Reaching her window she looked out and watched Dev sitting by the fire sharpening his weapons. The discussion she had with the man the night before was a good one. It made her feel a bit better about Brishan spending so much time with the man. Scarlet wouldn't let anyone into the Caravan that she thought would hurt any of the others. Though with their group it was a very different Roma Caravan. She turned back as she saw Brishan waking kneeling on the floor she lightly motioned for him to be quiet to allow Natalya to sleep before he went about washing and getting ready for the day. After the boy was dressed he ran out the door and straight to the man by the fire. Laughing softly she moved to the doorway and watched Brishan greet Dev, catching the man's gaze she waved softly before pulling the door closed and going back to bed.
Brishan

Post by Brishan »

He hurried as fast as he could though the morning routine getting dressed and hopping into his shoes he bounded from the vardo and to the fire. "Dev! What we going to work on today?" He shouted before realizing he was probably too loud. Covering his mouth he went to his knees setting his bottom on the ground as he sat next to Dev and watched the man sharpen his weapons. "What do we need those for? Mister Dev are we not working on the vardo?" His finger reached out and lightly touched the assorted weapons that were around. Gently he pulled his finger back before moving them through the dirt drawing. "What are we going to eat for breakfast? I think porriage would be great. Do you think we will be painting the vardo soon? I heard you say you wanted dark blue ... that's a nice color. Dai makes me help her paint the vardo every summer. It's fun but color gets everywhere. How often do you paint your vardo? Why don't you have a vardo now? But I like your tent. Easier to move. But we have vanners." Brishan went on as he drew in the dirt more near the fire stick figures of his dai and shaia.

"I'm hungry ... think we'll have breakfast soon?" He asked looking up at Dev his blue eyes wide with curiosity.

vardo = Romani Wagon
vanners = a breed of horse that the Roma use to pull their wagons
dai = mom
shaia = sister
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

The corners of Devereaux’s lips quirked into a slight smile when Anselina appeared in the doorway of her vardo, waved and then disappeared again as the whirlwind that was Brishan roared toward him. He knew she probably wouldn’t see it but she didn’t have to. After their conversation last night they more or less had an understanding.

Devereaux’s eyes twinkled with suppressed mirth at the barrage of questions that began practically before the boy arrived. Always so full of questions.

“Good morning, chavo*,” he said calmly, nonplussed at Brishan’s antics and flipped the dagger over to begin sharpening the other edge of the blade. “A man must always take excellent care of his weapon. They protect him and his family from harm. They keep meat on the table and do a great many things in between. They can be dangerous weapons or effective tools. As such, they must be cared for well no matter what else happens ,” he continued and arched a brow meaningfully.

“And to answer your other questions; We will work on the foundation today. I have already eaten. We will paint the vardo when it is done. Once a year is about right, the paint fades and flakes. I don’t have a vardo because I have been away.” Devereaux chuckled and jerked his head toward the iron cauldron suspended over the fire. He knew Brishan wouldn’t pause to eat before coming so he saved some for him. “There is enough porridge in there for you. I’ve got bushel of apples as well if you would like one. Gunari won’t mind sharing.”

*Chavo = Romani boy
Brishan

Post by Brishan »

Brishan nodded as he ran over and got some porridge and shoveled it into his mouth. The food quickly sliding into his gut and filling him quickly before he set down the bowl pausing for a moment he set down bowl and grabbed a few apples one shoved into his pocket as he took a large bite out of the other. Looking around he smiled at Gunari before grabbing another apple and walking over to the nice horse. Holding out his hand flat with the apple on it he held it to the horse and watched him eat it. As Gunari chewed, Brishan lightly brushed his hand along the horse's muzzle.

"You are a very good Gunari .... maybe in the summer we can go on a trip some where fun. I can ride too ... and you can take Dev. Maybe we'll go fishing ... Do you think that will be fun? We'll find good grass." Brishan murmured to the stallion before taking another big bite of his apple before offering up the last of his own apple to Gunari. "Then we'll have fun."

Smiling he turned back to Dev, "Think we'll get the foundation done today?"
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Devereaux bowed his head to hide his smile as Brishan gobbled his breakfast down. That boy ate more and faster than anyone he’d ever seen. He suspected the lad was about to go through another growth spurt and shoot up another few inches. If Brishan’s height now was any indication he was going to end up being tall like Devereaux. Well, perhaps not quite his height but close.

*You should keep him around, Dev. I like him,* Gunari’s mind-voice stated while the stallion munched away on the apple Brishan offered.

Devereaux suppressed a snort of laughter. *You like him because he spoils you rotten. He pays almost as much attention to you as he does to helping me build the vardo. You’re going to get fat if you keep eating all of those apples.*

He heard Gunari’s chuckle of amusement. *You’re only jealous because you don’t have someone to feed you treats. Yes, that part is certainly nice but he’s good for you. I haven’t seen you be so at ease or smile so much in… A long, long time. The attention is a perk. I’d rather you be happy.*

The confession caught Devereaux off guard and he gaped at Gunari behind Brishan's back for a moment before recovering his composure. Just in time, too, because Brishan turned back toward him shortly after. Gunari nickered and then nosed greedily at the boy’s pockets in search of more apples, leaving behind apple-flavored slobber smears on his breeches.

“I’m not sure we will but I think your trip sounds like a good idea,” Devereaux said with humor evident in his voice and then tilted his head to peer at the sky, gauging the weather potential. “Why wait for summer? It’s going to be a fine day today. We can work on the vardo tomorrow. Would you like to go riding today? We can go fish and forage and perhaps a bit of hunting. What say you, chavo*?”

*Boy
Brishan

Post by Brishan »

A huge grin crossed the boy's face as Dev brought up the prospects of going off and riding. He was fine working on the vardo but his dai rarely let him leave. He suspected it had to do with his other side. The wolf that seemed right there behind his skin whenever he got upset or scared. But his dai couldn't want him to stay in camp if Dev could take him out. "Oooooo that would be sooooooooo fun. Can we?! Please?" His voice went from a loud whisper to almost a shout as his body moved with the words. Constricting and then almost exploding with joy. Grabbing the last apple from his pocket he held it for Gunari.

"You hear that Gunari ... we are going on an adventure!" Brishan told the horse excitedly and could almost see a whisper of a smile on the horses face. "See Dev even Gunari is excited to go. I need a horse! I'll be back you don't leave without me!" Brishan took off running to find his horse Ruv. Wolf for a wolf. It was going to be a glorious day.
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Devereaux shook his head at the boy’s enthusiasm as he crowed in delight and then zoomed off to find himself a horse. He couldn’t help but grin; being around Brishan made it easier to forget his tormented past and learn how to be himself again. No small feat, that. He owed the boy more thanks than he would ever admit, even to Scarlet.

Was I ever so young? He thought. Wisely, Gunari said nothing.

While the boy attended to his own horse, Devereaux made quick work of grooming Gunari and saddling him. The big stallion groaned audibly in pleasure as his companion’s nimble, skilled fingers worked his coat until it gleamed. He also brushed Gunari’s mane and tail, and cleaned his hooves. Even doing a full body brush didn’t take long. The saddle and bitless bridle went on with ease as well. Practice makes perfect after all.

With more than enough time, Devereaux gathered some supplies they would need throughout the day and attached them to Gunari’s saddle. He left Brishan’s next to the stump to be tied to the boy’s saddle when he came back. He was old enough to carry his own. Then he carefully put the small fire out and stored the rest of his things in the tent.

Belatedly he realized he hadn’t asked Anselina for permission… But being Roma himself, as long as they were back by nightfall, it should be fine.
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

Oreo was told to behave. He always does, at least in his opinion. Grazilda told him not to enter any vardo without invitation. He was told to reduce his barking, which he wondered if he barked a lot at all so he might not follow Grazilda on that.

After the endless reminders from Grazilda, who seemed to actually look concerned about it for the first time, Oreo suddenly ran, letting his sense of smell guide him to Dev's vardo.

He found it and even if he was more than a few paces away, he barked loudly to announce his presence.

"Woooooof!"
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda looked around. She paused and waited for any sign of life. She looked at the leaves to see the direction of the wind. She waited some more to check if the coast was clear. She was not familiar with the roads nor with most of the people in Cork, so she decided to keep a low profile, at least in the meantime.

Her feet were swift and didn't make a sound as she made her way to the Dev's vardo. She was told not to get in unless invited and she told the mutt that as well. She nodded at the dog and gave him the signal that the coast was clear. However, the dog was so eager that it ran and barked loudly and rushed near Dev's vardo.

"Oreo! Hold on!!" She tried to stop the mutt. However, it was too late.