orp Valir's Difficult Decision

Moderator: Community Team

starlite271043

orp Valir's Difficult Decision

Post by starlite271043 »

Valir entered the tavern looking forward to a drink and a little chat with his friends. He had been working hard trying to get a difficut piece of ironwork done,and it had exacerbated his temper, for it just would not go right. It seemed to be as stubborn as he himself and that didn't help matters none.

He stomped up the steps and entered the tavern. "I hope they are here, don't want to waste my time flapping around all night", he muttered. he continued to stamp on in to the room not noticing the man on his way out, and bumped into him,"Watch where you're going " he snarled. The man quickly fled. No-one tangled with tetchy dwarfs like that, thank you very much, rather play with lions.

Valir marched over to the table they usually shared and sat down. "Ale", he bawled, and frowned at the barmaid who brought it. She looked at his face and quickly vanished. He watched his old friend Gregor slip through the door and sidle his way to the table. "Took your time didn't you." growled Valir. "Had to shift nippily, I can tell," replied Gregor, "That old woman of mine can sure swing a left hook."

"Mug's game getting married," said Valir, "Won't catch me being that stupid. Life's not your own any more. I can do, or go where I want, but you have to ask permission." Suddenly the door opened and both dwarves looked up expecting to see their friend. Val stared, his eyes out on stalks. Gregor looked at his friend in surprise. Valir was as rigid as a poker.

"It was her!" He had to get going now. The woman came further into the room and sat at a table, requesting in a soft voice from the barmaid, a small ale. She glanced around and didn't see Valir. He was stood behind a cupboard just to make certain. He watched till she turned away and almost ran from the room. Gregor quite properly mystified, followed him to enquire from his friend why he had behaved that way.

Too late, he saw Valir off in the distance, running as if the hounds of hell were after him. As far as Valir was concerned they were, and he wasn't staying to let them catch him. No sir. This was one time he could do without his ale, and his friends, and everything else. He had to get out of town double quick. He couldn't afford to let her find him here.

(Permission has been granted to the author by the player Valir to write his story and godmod him.)
starlite271043

Re: orp Valir's Difficult Decision

Post by starlite271043 »

Valir reached home in a rush and out breath, he leaned against the door trying to calm himself. "That was too close" he told himself,and reaching out he opened the door went in.
He got out his bag and put the few items he needed inside, then got himself a glass of ale and sat down to think of his predicament.
Where to go ? He knew he had to leave this town but he was not sure where was the best place to go.

He stood up and decided he would let his feet take him where they would. He reached for his bag, went out and closed the door.After looking around and seeing the road was clear, he set off on the road out of town.He came to a crossroad and felt inclined to continue onwards.

The road would lead him to a place called Paz. "Hmm, sounds an interesting name, let's see if the town is." he continued onwards.

Finally he arrived he arrived in the town after more than two days travelling. He was weary and looked for a place to settle. "Ah, that looks a likely place." he thought as he spied the inn. He entered and asked the man at the bar if there was a room to let. The man nodded in assent and Valir was soon settled in his new home, with a meal and ale to drink.
starlite271043

Post by starlite271043 »

Valir soon settled into Paz and opened a shop to sell his metalwork. He had already made some friends, so life was looking good. He felt so much more contented. Of course, he didn't know fate was about to play a dirty trick on him.

A few months went by and one day his friend Malin came into the shop. He looked at Valir and said "There was a woman in the inn today." Valir jumped in shock. "What? Where?" he yelled. "Whoa," cried out Malin in surprise. "What's wrong?"
Valir grabbed his friend and hauled him up off his feet. "What woman? What did she look like? Did she ask after me? What did you say?" he shot the questions non-stop at Malin.

"If you put me down I'll tell you." he replied, amazed at his friend's reactions.
Valir dropped Malin on his feet and stomped around the room agitatedly. "Well," he barked at him, "tell me." Malins sat on a stool and looked at Valir and began to speak. "This woman.....Well, she has beautiful long dark hair and is a dream. She didn't give her name but she did describe you and asked if you were in town, and no, she didn't give your name. She just said she was looking for her friend. I told her their were several dwarves who fitted that description in town and unless she knew your name, I couldn't help her."

I knew it was you she was looking for. There is no-one else who looks like you in town.You obviously know her, so who is she, and why does she want you? What have you been up to?" he grinned at Valir's obvious discomfort.

"I don't know her. She is my Nemesis." shouted Valir. By now his agitation had grown to epic proportions and he was stamping and charging about the room like a demented soul. "I've got to get away." he said, "I'm doomed. I will not agree. I won't give in." he rambled on. He grabbed his bag and once again he threw his belongings into it, grabbed his money and threw that in as well. "I'm off." he told Malin, "You haven't seen me and you don't know me right?"

He slipped out the back door after checking the way was clear, And was off down the road like a bat out of hell. Malin stood in the doorway, stupefied at his friend's reaction's. One day he would get the answers to his questions.
starlite271043

Post by starlite271043 »

Valir was fed up with running. When would he ever be able to settle in one place? Well, in the meantime he decided to go to Bravia. So, he hefted his bag on his shoulders and slowed his pace. Well, he couldn't run there. Ah, There's the road. So off down the Bravia road he went.

As he went he felt a mite of peace and hopefullness.Maybe this time he will be free of this cloud he hated. He mused on the problem. He had first come across that woman some time ago and had been running ever since. No way was he going to allow her to to use anything against him and capture him.Even if he had to run forever.

Some time had passed, he could see the town in the distance and found his steps moving faster in eagerness to get there. He joined a group, travelling as he was to Bravia and they all entered together. One of the group told him where the local tavern was, so off he went to quench his thirst. He put his bag down by a table and ordered a drink of ale. Then spotted an old, old friend, Joseph, whom he hadn't seen for many years, so he trotted over across the room to greet him.

He stayed chatting and drinking ale for some time, then asked Joseph where he could get a room. "You can stay with me," Joseph replied. "I live alone since my Marie died." Marie had been his wife who had died 5 yrs earlier. "Thank you, my friend. Then I must set up my shop. Well, we will have time in plenty to chat, but I will need to earn my freznics." said Valir.

He went back to where he had left his bag and picked it up. Strange! It seemed heavier. He placed it on the table and undid it and nearly died of shock. There inside a tiny face peered out at him with a beautiful, tiny smile. A baby! Where did that come from? He looked about him for inspiration. Panic was beginning to set in. What did he do? Who did it? He looked at the barmaid. Did she do it or see who did?

He marched up to her and growled "Okay, who shoved that baby in my bag? Did you do it or see who did?" She looked at him and wondered if he'd drunk too much, except he did look a bit distracted, running his hands through his hair and making it stand on end. "No, I didn't, neither did I see who did." she said."Let's see this baby who's upsetting you."

She walked around the bar and went to the table where he'd left his bag and looked in. There was a lovely little child. She lifted the baby out and cuddled her. Yes, that was the first thing she checked.She turned to Valir and said," Oh, sir, she is gorgeous. What are
you going to do with her? She can't be more than a few weeks old."

Valir looked at his friend in total panic. Joseph looked at him and grinned."Well my friend, it looks like you have a new part to your family." Valir looked at him stunned. "You think I should keep a baby? Me? What do I know about babies?" Then he stopped and loooked at the baby nestled in the woman's arms so contentedly. He felt a softening somewhere inside and reached out to take the baby. She looked up at him and suddenly smiled at him and he felt a surge of feeling inside his heart and thought," This child has been given to me. She's mine. Wow! where did that thought come from? But then he knew he would keep her.

He stamped over to Joseph and said "Meet Sophie, my new daughter and yes, I am keeping her. She was given to me and she stays, so you have another visitor." Joseph looked at his friend and gently smiled at him. "I knew you would. You have a loving heart, my friend, although you try very hard to hide it, but remember ,I know you."

He watched the tender smile on Valir's face and thought, "This youngster will be a very lucky child to have his friend for a father.I always knew he could be like this, but he's spent so many years going the other way." The pair of them gathered Valir's bag and Valir proudly holding the baby and they went off to Joseph's home.
starlite271043

Post by starlite271043 »

Valir and Joseph and of course little Sophie reached Joseph's home and entered. Joseph went into another room and brought out a beautiful carved cradle and set it before Valir saying,"There my friend, Sophie's new bed. I made it many years ago but sadly Marie and I weren't so blessed as to have children, so it is now Sophie's."

Valir looked at Joseph with tears in his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat then coughed. "I think it's lovely and thank you my friend. You are truly good. My little Sophie will be so comfy in there. Did Marie make the coverings?" He pointed to the lovely lace coverings on the cradle. "She will sleep like a princess in there"

"Yes, she did, but you are welcome to it. I have no little ones and am very happy to have little Sophie here with you. It will be like having one of my own here. If I may, I would like you to allow me to be her adopted uncle." replied Joseph.
"Of course you can. I would consider it an honour."said Valir.

The following day after feeding and caring for Sophie. Of course, he had to take instructions from the lady next door on childcare, which he followed rigorously, and leaving Sophie in Joseph's care he set about getting his shop and setting it up ready for business. He decided to employ a trusted lad to look after the shop for when he was dealing with Sophie's needs.
Having got all the necessary details dealt with, he went back to Joseph's to ensure his Sophie was alright.

For the next couple of weeks wherever he went little Sophie went too, even to the tavern. He realised tho' that when she was a little older he would not be able to do that. Hmmm, what to do? He was going to have a talk with Joseph and the lady neighbour and see if they could come up with an answer.