A Challenge to the King

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Bloodstone

Re: A Challenge to the King

Post by Bloodstone »

Sitting in the corner, with his business partner, and fiance, Gemma, the discussion at hand leads to some musings on the natures of both man and beast....

"Gem, if the Alpha is strong enough to choose not to fight a challenger, does that not answer the question?"
Bloodstone, Lord of Stonebrae Keep
Blacksmith, and Hunter.
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

It had been one long day. A 180º degree spin of emotions to be exact. Casimir rubbed his temples and waited patiently for him to have his turn to discuss his own personal matters. When he found it was his time to talk, he then addressed the crowd.

"It has been known that I had expressed a wish to formally present my candidacy to his majesty king Zuan. From previous discussions in these same halls, I was lead to believe everyone was welcomed to publicly state their wishes. Before you refute me or point fingers at me, let me be clear that I had thought about this before Michael the usurper brought chaos to these lands. Michael left a scar in Fenia and I decided it was nothing but wise to postpone my wish to run for the rite of succession. And so, I kept quiet about this matter and decided I would publicly announce my wish when the time was right.
Since then, I have been nothing but an upmost loyal servant to his majesty king Zuan and I have tried to do my best for this kingdom and serve the people as best as I could as a former judge of Fenia and councilor. Some of you may know, during the war I have even helped with some funds the loyal subjects ,who had stated publicly their outrage about Michael's break of law, by buying them weapons and even armor. And when near bankruptcy, I have granted my own armor for the weakest to brace themselves in the upcoming war.
I am not nor I have the desire to brag about my sacrifice for Fenia. It was simply but my duty to protect my friends, my family, my home and the rightfully elected king of this nation. And based on this, I will not tolerate people to accuse me of being a traitor." He paused and took a deep breath before he continued his speech.

"I was discussing my potential candidacy in all honestly, discussing about it in a very open way with a few people when his majesty king Zuan did indeed listened to my conversation. I then, said I would be publicly announcing it formally in these halls in about two days, when his majesty asked me what happens when the old guard goes who would be protecting Fenia. I replied simply that I would still would like to have his support and would count with his protection over Fenia because in his own words, he only has Fenia's best interest. That is when the mudslinging started. I was belittled for trying another approach at things via a diplomatic way, publicly humiliated for thinking differently. I do not believe violence is the only answer and if he could support me, again as he stated he only held Fenia's best interests, that would be a moot point. But by his own words, if I cannot kill him, I should not even try it. But it is not my wish to kill a dedicated person to Fenia such as himself just so I could take his crown. I have no power lust, no wealth desire. I simply wanted to serve the people as they wanted. I thought a healthy competition would spike activity in these halls and really, what did I have to lose? But he was already set on refusing my candidacy on the grounds that I am too weak. I might be too weak physically, but in character I out stand him by miles. It is not certain I would win, as I believe none should take things for granted. That is when mistakes happen. And I knew I would have to gather support even if I did win, which again, it was not a certainty.

After such humiliation I then decided to not push my candidacy forward. You ask why. I answer with, because I do not wish to see Fenia submerged in another war because someone is too proud to give, what I used to be, his brother-in-law support. If you cannot grant support even to your own family, what sort of moral values does one have...? I… I do not know. I said to the king, if he did grant me the permission and if he did give me his support, he wouldn't be seen as weak but rather benevolent in my eyes. So he decides to go down in history as a tyrant rather than a benevolent king."

He sighed and rubbed his eyes before finally stating his last words, "I do not want to prejudice Fenia in any way. I do appreciate the kind words some of our citizens have expressed to me and given their support. But I cannot live in a land where only a iron fist rules. This land is being slowly suffocated, the people are unhappy, and the king has his own selfish reasons to remain in power. Go ahead and call me a traitor, a coward for seeking a better land where ideals thrive and activity flourishes. Go ahead and accuse me of traitorous behavior when I have done no wrong but wished to run for the rite of succession. To all who have supported me thus far, I thank you from my heart and I apologize for how things have turned out. It was promising, until power blinded all. It is true what they say, an eye for an eye… Makes the world go blind."

He bowed humbly to the crowd and turned his back to leave the discussion.
Mazork

Post by Mazork »

Mazork shakes his head at all the foolishness he has seen here.

"Over the years I have lived here, I have learned to understand many aspects of the local culture, even grown fond of some of them. But there are two things I have never understood: how you long for weak leaders who relinquish their power at the first sign of opposition, and the way you change your loyalties like clothes."

"What kind of a king gives up his power willingly? Being a king is not a job: it is a lifelong mission. You put your heart and soul into it, you sacrifice your life and freedom for your people. You stand down when, due to high age or another disability, you are no longer able to take care of your duties. No sooner. If you give it up easily, it means that you are too weak to complete your mission, or that you never took it seriously in the first place. Does holding on to his power make King Zuan a tyrant? Only if he is performing his duties badly. Being his friend, I might be slightly biased, but I have seen no failings in His Majesty's actions worthy of deposing him."

"And as for all of you, who travel for lands where the ruling power constantly changes hands. You are free to go. I will not respect you for your short-sighted choice, but I acknowledge that it is your right. Do not come back when, one day, you elect a bad leader and your viceroyalty crumbles to ruins. Trust me, it only takes one bad leader and a very short time. When that happens, the King might welcome you back, but I will not. You have made your choice, now you live with it."

Having said his piece, the orc turns his back and walks away. He has no desire to waste words on prolonged political arguments.
Last edited by Mazork on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.