A Challenge to the King

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

balerion

A Challenge to the King

Post by balerion »

Dear Kingy, I appreciate the time that you have put into ruling, I really do. Someone has to do it certainly. However there has not been a Rite of Succession held since Jul 11, 1653. If you are truly a wise and gracious king allow others to run against you for the Rite. In the past it has been claimed that no one else had the desire to run for king, but at this point the list of names of those denied the right to participate has only continued to grow longer and longer. Indeed Michael, who had been king before you, took the very castle because you refused to hold elections. Michael may have used nefarious sorceries to achieve his goals, but that does not mean that the underlying issue does not exist. I personally do not desire to be king, and know full well that there are other noble members of our society that have been denied the right to run. Give them a chance to participate in what used to be an honorable part of our society. The Rite of Succession is something to be celebrated, not something to deny the people to continue one's place in power. I humbly request that the Rite of Succession again mean something in Fenia. Please hold elections.

Your Subject,
Balerion Sunspear, Priest of Imperius
Shaker of Castles
Order of the Pillow | Sunspear
Aida

Re: A Challenge to the King

Post by Aida »

Maybe those people should publicly declare themselves then, instead of everyone constantly muttering behind one another's backs and hoping something gets done without actually taking any real action to do something, or dare I say it, leaving the VR entirely in protest. Can't rightly accuse the King of denying others when they never make themselves known to the rest of us.

You all know who you are. Now's the time to speak up if you're serious about putting yourself forward.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Watching the goings-on and the mysterious silence, Nocturne smirked. Aida this time instead of Morghain to answer. None the less, there were quite a few who were denied and were rather public with it, most notably Michael. "There have been at least three very public with their desire to run for RoS at some point or another. Balerion, who has now posted here. Michael, who went so far as to commit treason and necromancy for what he felt was injustice to the country, and Ambrosia, whose public rage about the event was viewed by many in the tavern. When saying you want to run has been akin to a threat when made public, it's not exactly something that people want to leap for. However, I think it's best for the king to address that challenge himself, rather than any of us speaking for him." With a smile to Aida, he continued perusing the events that transpired in his absence.
Aida

Post by Aida »

Uh, are you Bravian or are you Fenian now? Or Bravian when you're grabbing positions in Bravia and Fenian when you want to comment snerky like on our politics? You chose to leave and abandon your friends, remember that. Or maybe you see it as a self imposed exile.

And by the way, I totally support new elections. But at the same time there's literally nothing stopping people who wanted to run making it publicly known. Let's not pretend like Zuan is some big bad tyrant who terrifies everyone into silence, because that's ridiculous. But you're right, and I await his comment with baited breath.
Zuan

Post by Zuan »

I find this amusing I honestly really do. Your only given example is an individual who resorted to criminal activity, war, and behaviours uncouth of what anyone would consider 'just' or 'acceptable' to attempt to prove his point. He and those who followed him were all slain by myself in the battle and the castle was then re-taken by the vast support who wished me back to rule before even the mages blinked. I am as every thankful for that support.
I do however find it funny that my critics are those who have either now run to Bravia for money and office, or those who have done grave harm to Fenia themselves in the past. I find that amusing as it shows only those who have no true interests in Fenia want me out of office, perhaps they do not like the fact I have upgraded the castle or university? Or assisted with the Town Halls when needed, or spend time defending the capitol? Perhaps they do not like the increased wealth of the Kingdom? Or the way in which we make our markets the most profitable for farmers and the cheapest for consumers? To me the only people who seem to dislike those many positives and myself are those who no-longer have interest in Fenian success or have attempted to hinder it.

The Rite is very simple, as of yet, I have received no applications from anybody. If people wish to apply they may do so. I am yet to see those who you have named come forward and demand they be given an opportunity. Infact Michael was rejected for his past criminal activities, low and behold, after being rejected he turned criminal again, what does that show about my judgement? That it is accurate? That I know a thief from a citizen and I know an honest man from a dishonest one.

The Kingdom of Fenia is what it is. A Kingdom. A Monarchy with a leader who has led it through numerous wars, battles and conflicts, but one who has constantly assured Fenia has grown in size, strength and wealth. If you do not want Fenia to be strong, wealthy or powerful then I understand, and you are more than welcome to leave via the borders for lands which do not have those qualities. I however, will not jeprodise Fenia's growth for anybody.
High King of The Fenians - Brother to Dahlia, Ambra, Trinity, Sera & Zhou
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

I find it even more amusing that you chose to respond to the men listed.

But down to the point, it has been noted in the taverns that I had a wish to participate and that is indeed, correct. I do manifest the desire to run because I do know I am in my right abilities to continue to lead Fenia into prosperity and I think it has been clear throughout the years that I have been nothing but loyal to this great kingdom. I haven't left Fenia. I have defended Fenia on multiple occasions, and have died for the king. I helped when I first arrived and there was conflict with Widu. I again helped when there was the issue of Michael. At every turn Fenia has needed me, I have returned home to it. No matter the job, no matter the strife, I still stand here today. I have even relocated closer to the castle myself. Have you? I see that tavern isn't the only public place I have to make my wants known. So here it is.

I, Princess Ambrosia of the royal Winterbourne family am formally putting my application in to be able to run in the next rite of succession. For I want to be the next queen of Fenia.
Sister to Dahlia, Zuan, Zhou, & Serafina. RIP Razen & Cara (Trinity)
Great-great-great-great-great granddaughter of Rannek
TY Aishe for the banner!
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Ignoring the political manueverings of the questions, he merely answered what was directed his way first, "I am Bravian, who has chosen to aid Fenia where he can. My plans and strategies still sit within the Fenian councils, and have been made use of, have they not? I did not, as the King so accusingly states, run off to Bravia for money and office. I served Fenia as mayor of the capital, and the Internal Affairs Minister, Public Prosecutor, Mine Minister, People's Representative, and even stepped into the General's office for a brief period when needed for a day in service to my Viceroyalty. I hardly think I had a desire for power, as I'm surely not becoming Viceroy of Bravia, which would be the only way such a thing could be compared. Yet here I stand without rank or title, still the humble man that I was when I left, yet still with just as strong opinions about my country.

"Were I doing that which I now stand accused, I could've emptied Fenia's town hall if I wanted, and was already a councilor here, more so than Bravia, where at most I would seek to aid in the same manner. However, what I merely state is that Baron Dragon has a valid point. I recall saying as much to you, Countess Aida, in the taverns when the princess was denied a chance to run, unless you've forgotten. While he and I do not always see eye to eye, I see truth in these words of his, and thus I do agree." He figured the rest about the working with the markets and people was evident when his own presence was here, as the programs were expanded and more items brought wonderfully, which it appeared Aida had continued that path of growth, he was proud to see her success.

After the brief moment reminiscing, he added, "Ambra has now publicly stated her wish to run, so we'll see where it goes from there. However, I will say that this is the public inn of the castle, where all people may visit. So if it wasn't wished for comment, perhaps it should've been on the royal court. However, I, for one, am refreshed by such a public place for debate, and hope other members do voice their opinions as well."
Casimir

Post by Casimir »

Casimir had his back pressed against the wall and folded his arms listening to the participants in this open public discussion. He listened to all and then focused more intently on Ambra and her words and when she was done he couldn't but agree with her candidacy. Ungluing his back from the wall, he then addressed the crowd.

"I have been but a quiet listener in this discussion. I have kept my own opinion to myself and waited patiently for the king to openly address this matter first before I could tell what I think. Now that the king has openly stated his view on the matters… The law is clear on this matter, all participants must ask the king for permission to be part of the rite of succession. I however, don't fully agree with this law, but it was passed before my time in the council and being the judge of Fenia I am obliged to go with it to serve the law. In the past, Michael the usurper, tried to have the permission which was refused based on his past crimes, concerning even on stealing money from the town hall as it was pointed out some time ago. After being refused, he continued to push on and lead this into a war. A leader does not break rules nor acts like a tyrant. The leader has in his heart the duty to protect his subjects and his land from potential enemies." He pointed his finger to Ambra who presented her candidacy publicly, "Ambra's public candidacy and wish should not be compared with the traitor Michael. Her candidacy is legit in my eyes. She has served the crown many times, is currently in the council serving the current king and is even from his own house and family.
This makes her a legit candidate in my eyes since she had done no harm to this land in any way. It is also known she has asked some times to the king permission to run for the election but to no avail. I know this because I was present in such discussions."

He turns now to the king to address him, "Now that she has formally presented her as a potential candidate and has no wish to jeopardize Fenia... She is a honest woman who wants nothing but Fenia to thrive and be prosperous, and continue your majesty's work. So, my liege, what do you say to Ambra's candidacy? Is it valid and will you allow her to participate in the elections?"
Zuan

Post by Zuan »

Casimir wrote: "A leader does not break rules nor acts like a tyrant. The leader has in his heart the duty to protect his subjects and his land from potential enemies." He pointed his finger to Ambra who presented her candidacy publicly,

"Now that she has formally presented her as a potential candidate and has no wish to jeopardize Fenia... She is a honest woman who wants nothing but Fenia to thrive and be prosperous, and continue your majesty's work. So, my liege, what do you say to Ambra's candidacy? Is it valid and will you allow her to participate in the elections?"

Alas, dear sister, the judge points out some important things. No leader should be a tyrant, and a leader is like a citizen subject to the laws of the kingdom. A applicant to the Rite is and should be loyal to the kingdom, defend it, and work with it, and no one is denying that you have not done so. You have helped fight for Fenia against Michael and others. You have been an active mayor, mentor and councillor for the Kingdom. However you like I are subject to the law, in particular I cite the laws on assault:

Laws of Assault:
The actions of any creature which cause harm or attempt to cause harm to any other creature whilst inside the lands of Fenia will not be tolerated. This includes acts of robbery, brawling in the streets and group attacks.

Here is just one example of you breaking the above law:
Feb 25, 1655
10:00 am Ambrosia attacked you and started a tavern brawl, but the bartender and locals broke it up, but not before a bottle was broken over your head. (-1 Fit)

I had no interest of taking my family to court over these attacks, nor do I now, however as Casimir has stated a monarch like a citizen is subject to the law, and you have broken the above law on more than one occasion. Therefore, unless I wish to change past judgements, or appear bias towards my family, I must reject your request to run for the Rite due to the fact you have broken the law on assault just as recently as today, and like the case of Michael those who have committed crimes have not been permitted to run under my reign.
High King of The Fenians - Brother to Dahlia, Ambra, Trinity, Sera & Zhou
Aida

Post by Aida »

Well, I didn't see that coming.