A Challenge to the King

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Aniel

Re: A Challenge to the King

Post by Aniel »

I called it first! We are going to have another Michael incident here!
Rannek

Post by Rannek »

Aingeal wrote:First off in my opinion is there us one person that is above the law. While his council advises, it is the King who makes the laws, and the king can also apply them as he wishes.
Rannek decides to add his own small voice to the orchestra. "My dear, I believe you are mistaken. That is not the law of a king, that is the law of a tyrant. A king must rule by example, and what greater example is there than to follow their own law? If a king does not, cannot, even follow his own laws, why should anyone else? Tell me. What's so special about a 'king' that places them above the average man? Nothing. All he has is a fancy crown on his head. He does not have any special talents or skills that no one else can acquire, anyone can be a king or queen. Is it their bloodline, perhaps? Bloodlines mean little. Theirs is as good as mine. So, pray tell, what is the purpose of a 'king'?" he finishes, quirking a brow and looking over the crowd to see who can answer this very simple question.
Banner made by one of my bestest internet friends, Aishe <3 | A Parting Glass
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Zuan wrote:Quite frankly it worries me that now several Bravian citizens are here rather than discussing matters in their own republic. Nocturne as ever your words are mildly amusing, as they are without fact.
"You do not remember my skillset well if you think I can't be here and discussing things in my republic at the same time," he smiles, "But I can't think of a time that I have spoken without facts to my words. I think those people who know me realize and would vouch that I speak most often bluntly and with logical reason."
Zuan wrote:Let me be blunt, no I did not give permission to be attacked in the streets, if I had do you think I would have bothered with my last statement? The law is simple. Arena duels are legal. Street brawls are not. You're a former prosecutor but you seem to forget that specific line in the law which specifies the difference. The difference between legitimate and honourable fighters to those who would wait in the dark of night in the streets to strike.
Nocturne nods along to the story, "And yet it's been going on for so long and not even a complaint. From a legal standpoint, that makes your complicit, period. It's possible you benefited from these attacks as well, and since it's now mysteriously a 'crime' it also implies that you're an accomplice in the 'crime' by participating, for as long as it has been going on, there have been no complaints, nor a request to the accused to stop, as it has been beneficial, likely to both parties. However, spinning it this way is what I do believe is politically called 'mudslinging' and trying to condemn someone else to keep them from your position. Call it what it is, a power play, and nothing but that. You're the king, you can state things bluntly without reproach, right?"
Zuan wrote:As for what you claim about me, if I am not allowed to criticise my council then by that logic no one should be able to critique anyone without being hung from the gallows no? What is the point of the Royal Court if nobles cannot speak their mind, and if citizens cannot critique the nobility and vise versa. Are you honestly suggesting that I or anybody else should not be allowed to speak freely, because if you are then again you highlight your lack of Fenian qualities. The freedom is such that I am welcome to be insulted, questioned and berated. Likewise I will question, berate and expect Fenians to be loyal and when situations arise bring them to account. When people do not act on requests then yes I will state that, and likewise I hope when I fail to meet standards that it can be brought to my attention, in many ways I think this whole discussion represents that fact. Unless you want it stripped away from peoples rights that all word be punishable? If you think holding people to account, or questioning their loyalties is a 'disgrace' to that individual, then we are all to be disgraces and wallow in pity and grime hence forth.

"Perhaps placing things in perspective respectfully would be a better method. Of course there will be attacks on actions, but they don't have to come to such methods, is exactly the point that I am making. Throwing people under the iron cart, so to speak, is not meritorious of Fenian qualities in my eyes. If this is how people are permitted to be treated, perhaps the laws of nobility might be amended. Merely observation and opinion of a foreigner, of course, who still aids here where able."
Zuan wrote:Your next request about my tenure is interesting, primarily because like the above case it would mean just about arresting and putting to court every single member of the council who ever once misses a check. Firstly, as you rightly know. I do not answer to the mages nor their pointless clerics. I answer to the Kingdom. What you are claiming now if not an outright lie, is breach of the laws that matters of the Privy council are being brought outside of the chamber. Since I state it is a lie, there is no need to prosecute you for it Nocturne.
"Calling a wall a cabinet does not make it open and hold jars of potion. I suppose it is good you don't like wasting prosecutors' time, for such a law doesn't exist on the books. Another upgrade I might suggest to the law system, for stating the records that a person doesn't visit their office serves to do no danger to Fenia or her citizens, merely enlighten them to truth."
Zuan wrote:However I shall play your game for a moment longer. Ignoring both that fact, and the notion that the entire council at one point or another would be in court. Corruption never significantly rose, nor have we few points enough to clear corruption and so our treasury was never threatened as you suggest.
"Luckily for the Kingdom of Fenia, there must have been a good internal affairs minister at the time," he chuckled simply, moving on.
Zuan wrote:As for your last claim, denying a candidate is the law of the Monarch as the law states, and is the monarchs right to do so. I am wondering exactly what you mean by denying 'legitimate' candidates?
First people have expressed concerns with communications, and the rites of succession. It is the monarch's right to be an aardvark with asparagus too if he so chooses. We are a free people like that. But as you stated, it's the king's right. And previously you've stated the purpose of the law was to keep criminals from taking over the viceroyalty and destroying the hard work. So thus, by denying all those here, you essentially call them all criminals. Are you afraid of a fair election? That is the only other logical reason you would deny someone with the same goals in mind.
Aingeal wrote:Nocturne, you no longer reside in fenia, so your opinion means naught. If you had wished to make accusations you might have done so when you were a resident...(*snip*)...I find no fault in the reign of King Zuan, and all I see are petty arguemnts now.
Zuan wrote:Likewise in terms of War I have defended Fenia against him He Points at Balerion Him He points at Rieron and her He points at Aingeal.
Again Nocturne shakes his head, "Aingeal comes to your defense, and you so quickly call her a criminal as well. I suppose it doesn't matter, however, she still speaks the good speech to support herself being backhanded publically like a good lapdog. My opinions are worthless to her now, though she valued my assessments in the Royal Courts enough to mail me about such. A pity how she chooses to supplicate herself to try to curry favor at such a time, but you might consider that Ladyship that she is probabl overdue for her deeds. However, the ridiculousness of the policies are quite clear at this point." He smiled softly, "However, if you keep claiming such lies about Bravia having to pay someone to join them, no, I went there and received nothing for my travels. I simply did as I did here in Fenia, and put my nose to the grindstone. I agree with most of your assessment for the most part, but Fenia could do with a compassionate monarch as well, who understands war and peace and the balance between."
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

Hm, well this is all interesting. I wasn't aware that sibling rivalry even outside the tavern was a law breaker. Obviously, I'm not some street hooligan shanking people in dark corners. So, let's not exaggerate here. I recall during the Michael situation Zuan took himself into a dark alley and knocked himself out. Was that not against the law too?

I do thank you for your consideration. I think as a criminal I should no longer serve on the council. I will no longer help with Fenia in a political state. You can keep your broken crown, and empire of dirt. For I have lost interest. No thanks for taking the little bit of time to drag my reputation through the sewer. I feel your answer could have been a simple no, without resorting to mudslinging.
Katie

Post by Katie »

balerion wrote:Dear Kingy, I appreciate the time that you have put into ruling, I really do. Someone has to do it certainly. However there has not been a Rite of Succession held since Jul 11, 1653. If you are truly a wise and gracious king allow others to run against you for the Rite. In the past it has been claimed that no one else had the desire to run for king, but at this point the list of names of those denied the right to participate has only continued to grow longer and longer. Indeed Michael, who had been king before you, took the very castle because you refused to hold elections. Michael may have used nefarious sorceries to achieve his goals, but that does not mean that the underlying issue does not exist. I personally do not desire to be king, and know full well that there are other noble members of our society that have been denied the right to run. Give them a chance to participate in what used to be an honorable part of our society. The Rite of Succession is something to be celebrated, not something to deny the people to continue one's place in power. I humbly request that the Rite of Succession again mean something in Fenia. Please hold elections.

Your Subject,
Balerion Sunspear, Priest of Imperius
"Uncle Bal, you should have been in the tavern earlier. I think there was an edict or something similar issued to Casimir.... It went something like this~ "When you are able to defend the castle against twenty people/creatures, then you can run, son!" ~ King Zuan.

"King Zuan, care to answer what are the legal qualifications to run? Didn't you say Casimir could run earlier in the tavern or no?"
banner by Aida j'Otun
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Katie wrote:"Uncle Bal, you should have been in the tavern earlier. I think there was an edict or something similar issued to Casimir.... It went something like this~ "When you are able to defend the castle against twenty people/creatures, then you can run, son!" ~ King Zuan.

"King Zuan, care to answer what are the legal qualifications to run? Didn't you say Casimir could run earlier in the tavern or no?"
"Well, if we're quoting that, King Zuan also said that if you can defeat him in battle, you can be king, because he knows that Fenia will be in safe hands. So that seems to be the running requirement."
Katie

Post by Katie »

"So King Zuan can't make up his mind what the requirements are to run? Perhaps we should trust in the laws of the land instead? Maybe a revolt? Or perhaps a kingnapping? Maybe the king is losing it since he sounds a tad wishy-washy?"
banner by Aida j'Otun
Locien

Post by Locien »

First I am not actually interested in running or really getting involved in the political areas of this kingdom at this point i have to many other things to take care of. however i would be interested to know would you approve of me in the ROS if i put all my other interests on hold? I have been mayor in a couple different towns, I have defended this VR against many if not all of the same people you have I don't remember who was in every army that I have faced, several of them i was in the army with you fighting by your side even when my ex-wife betrayed this VR i stayed and showed my loyalty. I have also been able to beat you several times in the arena I know it is not the same but I am far from someone who is weak. I still have many friends in this VR and others and could use those to help increase the interactions between the VR's. I am also still a member of the nobility of this VR for the services that I have provided. I have been on councils in the old Kiene ((ooc I hope i spelled that right and that I have the right name its been awhile lol)) as well so I do have experience in council not as much as many but I do have it.

So would you let me participate if i was interested or am ineligible as well?
Duke_of_Earl

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Minty wrote:What's so special about a 'king' that places them above the average man?
In order for the concept of an 'average' man to exist, it implies the existence of below and above average men from which the average man is betwixt.
If this concept is true, then by definition, the above average men can achieve more then the average men who themselves achieve more than the below average men; all of whom achieve less than women ;P
Minty wrote:He does not have any special talents or skills that no one else can acquire,
Talents and skills are separate things. Skills can be acquired, developed, improved, learned. Talents are innate; inborn. One demonstrates a talent and there is a good foundation upon which to build their skills. Different people have different talents; and interests;. Interests are often shaped by talents. Skills are shaped by circumstance. One who is talented OR skilled in a particular area can perform equally well, but neither as well as one who is talented AND skilled in that same area.
Minty wrote:Is it their bloodline, perhaps? Bloodlines mean little. Theirs is as good as mine.
((not directed specifically at you or Zuan, this analogy, it's just general philosophy))
Is a racehorse equal to a plow-horse in the field? Can a plow-hourse beat a thoroughbred on the track? 50% of the time?
What are mustangs 'built for" relative to plow-horses and thoroughbreds that they need their own name?
A soft-coated wheaten terrier is a better hunting dog and poorer herder while the sheep-dog is vice-versa.
Yes, breeding is a real and true thing which influences a creatures natural talents and aptitudes. It applies to all creatures, human(oid)s included.
This is not to say who has what breeding for which aptitudes, but to point out that the principal that everyone is equally suited to every possible task and will perform equally well at them is wrong. "Different strokes for different folks", only the value is equal.

The best way for a group to cooperatively produce an optimally functioning system, is to be aware of their own individual aptitudes and limitations, and assume a role within the system where their aptitudes can be most utilized, and their weaknesses least depended upon. It is important to remember that what really counts is the optimization of the system, as that is what brings the most cumulative benefit to all individuals within that system.
Minty wrote:So, pray tell, what is the purpose of a 'king'?"[/b]
To remove a burden of responsibility from you.
To enforce order over chaos.
To be shot at first by enemies who think governments are serpents but not hydras.
To defend and preserve the realm
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
Rannek

Post by Rannek »

Duke_of_Earl wrote:In order for the concept of an 'average' man to exist, it implies the existence of below and above average men from which the average man is betwixt.
If this concept is true, then by definition, the above average men can achieve more then the average men who themselves achieve more than the below average men; all of whom achieve less than women ;P
"I was implying that there was supposedly an 'above' and 'under' average man, I personally don't believe in such, but what else can one hope to believe when there is only a single person above everyone else that allows no one else to stand where they are?" He chuckles, "I also can't help but agree with that last sentence. It's a shame we will only have a king, at this rate."

Duke_of_Earl wrote:Talents and skills are separate things. Skills can be acquired, developed, improved, learned. Talents are innate; inborn. One demonstrates a talent and there is a good foundation upon which to build their skills. Different people have different talents; and interests;. Interests are often shaped by talents. Skills are shaped by circumstance. One who is talented OR skilled in a particular area can perform equally well, but neither as well as one who is talented AND skilled in that same area.
"That is my point. Neither talents nor skills are inherent to a king... meaning the position. And would it not make more sense if there more people in charge? Increased amount of both talents and skills."

Duke_of_Earl wrote:((not directed specifically at you or Zuan, this analogy, it's just general philosophy))
Is a racehorse equal to a plow-horse in the field? Can a plow-hourse beat a thoroughbred on the track? 50% of the time?
What are mustangs 'built for" relative to plow-horses and thoroughbreds that they need their own name?
A soft-coated wheaten terrier is a better hunting dog and poorer herder while the sheep-dog is vice-versa.
Yes, breeding is a real and true thing which influences a creatures natural talents and aptitudes. It applies to all creatures, human(oid)s included.
This is not to say who has what breeding for which aptitudes, but to point out that the principal that everyone is equally suited to every possible task and will perform equally well at them is wrong. "Different strokes for different folks", only the value is equal.

The best way for a group to cooperatively produce an optimally functioning system, is to be aware of their own individual aptitudes and limitations, and assume a role within the system where their aptitudes can be most utilized, and their weaknesses least depended upon. It is important to remember that what really counts is the optimization of the system, as that is what brings the most cumulative benefit to all individuals within that system.
He chuckles, "It seems I've mis-phrased what I was trying to say... But going on from what you're saying, I believe that it also depends on ones training. Just because you have something, doesn't inherently mean you always choose it, especially if you're unaware of it or just outright dislike it. If you're naturally good with a sword, but prefer the pen, some will select the pen over the sword because of their personal preference."
Duke_of_Earl wrote:
Minty wrote:So, pray tell, what is the purpose of a 'king'?"
To remove a burden of responsibility from you.
To enforce order over chaos.
To be shot at first by enemies who think governments are serpents but not hydras.
To defend and preserve the realm
He nods, "A worthy answer. But try mine on for size: A 'king' – or even a queen, for that matter – is a role-model, someone the people can look up to, someone they can trust. Otherwise they're just a tyrant."
Banner made by one of my bestest internet friends, Aishe <3 | A Parting Glass