A letter to the judge's office.

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Silence

A letter to the judge's office.

Post by Silence »

((This would be posted in the judge's office of Fenia... if such a forum topic existed... or at least, I can't find it after searching through every mention of the word 'judge' in the Fenia forums))
Dear Judge of Fenia

Since you have decided to ignore my other letters on the subject, this is me now asking you 'publicly' whether or not I am expected to show up for this trial I have been summoned to in Fenia. My circumstances are that the person accusing me of assault is, in fact, accused of far greater crimes in Kiene. As the public prosecutor there, it is my duty to stay there and see that case through to the end. I will be willing to show up to this court case later. Now, your previous corres... correse... talky things... letters that you sent me heavily implied that I would not need to show up to this trial, so, I apologise for how late I am in sending this letter... I only send it as further corres letters and talks I've had with other people have suggested that your words then are no longer the case. Given that my usual seven days to attend court are soon to be up, given that the only reason this is late is due to our other letters that I will happily produce in court and given that I have been sending letters for days seeking clarification anyway, I would appreciate a rapid response.
Rannek

Re: A letter to the judge's office.

Post by Rannek »

Rannek pondered over the letter - he was slow to recieve mail these days, likely because he had a few too many addresses and the letters kept moving back and forth between them, but he was usually even slower to respond; because responding meant that they would then also reply and he wasn't really big on communicating with people these days. Much preferring to be left to his own devices.
To Alder

I apologise for the tardy response - your letter was caught up amongst a pile of documents that I'd been avoiding until recently.

The case is currently at a standstill for the time being - at least for a few more days as of this letter - so if you wish to make an appearance, go ahead. Otherwise, as an alternative, we can convene outside of court times and you can share your points then, as well go over the current evidence being put against you, and how you would defend yourself against them. Not very conventional, but I don't always do conventional.
Banner made by one of my bestest internet friends, Aishe <3 | A Parting Glass
Silence

Post by Silence »

Dear judge

I have recently been able to take a trip to Fenia and I see that I was not allowed to give a plea, despite this conversation. Well, fine... But this does mean that I'll have to do things via your 'non conventional' way.

I have already detailed the evidence to you, but let us start again so it is in public.

On the day in question, I started West towards a mine from Imperious early on. This mine is in Kiene territory.

The 'victim's' own logs confirm that he started this day in Widu... In Kiene and travelled towards Imperious.

However, I'd also like to call this testimony into question... the victim claims to have travelled four times in one day. This is not possible to have done. The only witness the prosecution has (who has not even shown up in court) is giving impossible evidence that does not actually prove their case.

The law is very clear that crimes not taking place in Fenia are not illegal under Fenian law and the prosecution has not even disputed the fact that it took place in Kiene... Granted, I have not appeared in court to state this is my case, but I have publicly stated it here and in the prosecutor's office (records of this can be easily referenced), and, what's more, I have stated this directly to the prosecutor in letter, in person and to you in letters, so I don't believe it can be said that the reason the prosecutor did not refute my defense was that it hadn't been stated yet. I had made it plenty clear what my case was, yet the prosecution has not in any way refuted this case. In fact, they may have inadvertently helped to prove it... Although I am sceptical of the logs presented for previously mentioned reasons. This is... Annoying, since I don't want these logs to be in question. They all but prove my case for me. However, if this was just about what I wanted, I'd have already pled guilty... Submitting to a minor public disorder charge is less trouble for me to go through all this time and effort. However, I'm more interested in putting truth out there right now than in actually getting anything myself, so, yeah, I'm putting it out there that testimony that proves my case is impossible.

I could call in witnesses to create a timeline (I handed a stone to Vhagar with an army in Fenia, then was asked to head hone immediately and did... The king has my letters requesting authorisation of the army and Ambrosia has evidence saying when this 'victim' was last in Widu), but none of this can be presented in letters.
Rannek

Post by Rannek »

((Okay so this is where things start to get a bit messy, so I'm gonna split this post into 2 sections. The first will be OOC, where I go into the various mechanics that I can't go into IC, and the other will be IC, where I go over the things that can be touched on.
So to start off with, and this is something that I'd thought to be pretty self-expanatory, the timestamp on each players events are different depending on what they've selected as their timezone in their settings. Meaning, likewise, that events will have different timestamps depending on the player. If I posted the auto-turn in for the daily pandora point (which occurs exactly at daily reset), it would, for example, appear to occur at a different time for anyone who has selected a timezone outside of AEST. What this means is that it is entirely possible for someone to travel 4 nodes in a single day... a single RL day, since the events follow RL times.))
Alder,

Your previous missives to me seemed to indicate that you would not be appearing, and you even said as such in one of the missives you sent, and thus I proceeded accordingly. You asked me multiple times if your appearance would be necessary... and quite frankly, I refuse to answer such a stupid question, because of COURSE your appearance would be necessary... if you were inclined to having a fair trial, that is. Unfortunately I can't keep the case paused indefinitely in the hopes that one day you'll appear, and so I pushed the case along aftering waiting several days. You also asked if you should be worried - once again, a stupid question that I shouldn't even need to answer if you truly value your own innocence. Bluntly put; I'm not here to hold your hand, whether or not you show up is entirely up to, and in your third mail you said wouldn't be appearing and so I acted accordingly. In saying that, I am more than happy to find alternatives if you, or anyone else, can't appear in court. After all, the court cases themselves are more of a public show-and-tell than anything meaningly. I prefer to just get to the truth of the matter and be done with it.

Now, seeing as you've decided to show up and have viewed the evidence put against you... I will point out something important you seem to have missed. A hint, if you will.

In the bottom half of the log (the bottom two reports which occurred first - I agree, the ordering could be vastly improved) it states that he was travelling to Fenia City from Imperius. Now the initial report of the assault occurred between the two travel logs. If you could riddle me how that happened, I'd greatly appreciate.
Banner made by one of my bestest internet friends, Aishe <3 | A Parting Glass
Silence

Post by Silence »

((Ok, since we're allowing OOC arguments, it is worth noting that I didn't have a foe when this happened... I'm playing it out, but this was reported as a bug... I had removed Marcus from my foe list that day already.))
Dear judge

If contempt of court ever comes up, or if this case is appealed for whatever reason, we can talk more about what are stupid questions that shouldn't need to be answered. I will admit that whether or not I need to show up in court rather than just having the court case dismissed due to lack of evidence should be a matter between myself and the public prosecutor, but, he told me in no uncertain terms that it was between me and you. So, when I ask whether or not I need to show up in court due to the fact that there shouldn't have been enough evidence here to make it to a court room, we can talk more about whether or not that deserves a response if and when it ever becomes relevant. I do not mind doing things in your 'non conventional way' to be honest. I'm just as interested as you are in the truth of this situation... as I've said, would have pleaded guilty already here if I wasn't. I am not interested in any vendetta against Fenia for moving on the case without me, that was perfectly reasonable to do. Please can we not spend the majority of our letters arguing something that is, in fact, entirely irrelevant to the matter at hand and getting more and more passive aggressive for no good damn reason?

Ok, let's get to stuff that matters.

I have taken a closer look at the logs of the victim and... they entirely conflict with my own and the fact that, at 10pm (for the 'victim'), the victim was attacked by Widu's town army on the 27th of August. I enclose a letter from the leader of that army detailing this. The victim could have travelled between Widu and Imperious on the next day, but, he could not have suddenly teleported to Fenia in that time unless my geography is really off. Now, why is it that the man saying that he 'asked his steward to write down his travel logs' is worth anything to you in terms of proof? Anybody can write down that they went from anywhere to anywhere any time, after all.

Why don't I just do that to demonstrate? Here is what I am going to claim are my travel logs...

https://ibb.co/d6cZrkB

But, maybe I should just ask somebody to hand me a book of their travels... and now suddenly, it doesn't matter where 'I' went, I now have 'proof' that I was somewhere else.

https://imgur.com/ZWQpmXh

Or maybe I just ask my steward to write down whatever I want them to and hand that across... none of it is any better than me saying that I was at 'this place at this time' and him going 'no you weren't'.

In the light of all of this... I don't think there is any more information that can come out here. Unless you have anything more for me to 'explain' (burden of proof is usually not on the defendant, but, whatever), I change my plea to guilty (or rather, give it for the first time) as there is nothing more that I think can be said in the pursuit of truth here. The reparations for a minor public disorder charge are worth less to me than the time it would take to write more of these letters. So, the decision is in your hands. Meanwhile, I'm going to go and deal with this by giving a public apology as was given to me as an ultimatum by the king. I can retract that apology if you decide not to accept a guilty plea.

Well, best regards

-Alder
((editted, it's late, I got something wrong and forgot to add a letter))

((the attached letter from Ambrosia:))

Aug 25, 1659 2:00 am
[Attack/Defense] [Round 3] You attacked with your emerald axe and lacerated Marcus_Aurelius (143 HP). Your skill in Weapon Training gave you a bonus in your attack! You killed them. (Alignment Change: 0 [1000 to 1000])

[Attack/Defense] [Round 2] Marcus_Aurelius attacked with their longsword and grazed you (-8 HP). Your skill in Entrenchment gave you a bonus in your defense!

Aug 25, 1659 2:00
[Attack/Defense] [Round 2] You attacked with your emerald axe and wounded Marcus_Aurelius (123 HP). Your skill in Weapon Training gave you a bonus in your attack!

[Attack/Defense] You felt a surge through your emerald axe as if you were more proficient during your Army Kill List battle with Marcus_Aurelius (Round 2) [130% to 131%]

[Attack/Defense] [Round 1] Marcus_Aurelius attacked with their longsword and grazed you (-1 HP). Your skill in Entrenchment gave you a bonus in your defense! Your Legendary Skill Trade Off caused your attacker to take damage.

[Attack/Defense] You felt a surge through your emerald axe as if you were more proficient during your Army Kill List battle with Marcus_Aurelius (Round 1) [129% to 130%]

[Attack/Defense] [Round 1] You attacked with your emerald axe and lacerated Marcus_Aurelius (134 HP). Your skill in Weapon Training gave you a bonus in your attack!

[Attack/Defense] You felt a surge through your emerald axe as if you were more proficient during your Army Kill List battle with Marcus_Aurelius (Round 1) [128% to 129%]

Aug 27, 1659 2:00 am
[Attack/Defense] [Round 1] You attacked with your emerald axe and lacerated Marcus_Aurelius (159 HP). Your skill in Weapon Training gave you a bonus in your attack! (They fled the battle!)

[Attack/Defense] You felt a surge through your emerald axe as if you were more proficient during your Army Kill List battle with Marcus_Aurelius (Round 1) [137% to 138%]

[Attack/Defense] [Round 1] Marcus_Aurelius attacked with their longsword and grazed you (-2 HP). Your skill in Entrenchment gave you a bonus in your defense! Your Legendary Skill Trade Off caused your attacker to take damage.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Dear Judge

Just to add to my previous letter though... if you do have anything more to add in the name of finding the truth, I would be interested in hearing it... or at least, reading it so long as it actually has a chance of going somewhere or revealing something. I can answer some more questions, if you like... just, I'm not interested in messing around with baseless accusations or burden of proof.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Dear Judge

I recently took another trip to Fenia to see what the prosecution would say and... I'm disappointed. The case was already based on lies, but... seriously? Implying that I hadn't shown where I was on the day of the attack? If I had turned around immediately and gone back, I would have been a day late. You can pretty plainly see that the two 'logs' provided are incompatible and, what's more... the prosecution has taken their last statement to enter more evidence into the case, which is... totally improper procedure, but, if they can do it, I'm hoping it's not an issue if I do. Well, I'd rather you didn't let this influence your decision, but... we're both interested in truth, so... here is all I have.

https://ibb.co/J37LXRK

But again, I would like to remind the judge that anybody can write that they were anywhere and submit it as 'evidence', so, neither my testimony, nor any other testimony presented here really proves anything. This isn't really for the sake of the case... just for the sake of making a point which was, I guess, the point all along.