[ORP] Attica: Put Ashore

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

[ORP] Attica: Put Ashore

Post by Aishe »

OOC: For references, I have put together a collection of photos. I am using the RL Abbotsford House as an inspiraton of Semaban Castle.

This RP is open to any and all to come by. If Aishe is not present, the creature will be greeted by staff and still tended to in whatever manner befitting of the situation.

The more you know: Semaban is the noun version of "(put) ashore" in Zachré.
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
Aishe
Location: OOC: On RL maternity leave. In retreat IG, checking forums occasionally. Available on discord.

Re: [ORP] Attica: Put Ashore

Post by Aishe »

Within the kingdom of Fenia, there was the county of Attica. Under the Athena Duchy, Attica was the county furthest south. It held the smallest amount of coastline of the shore-side counties, but it thrived with trade. Most of that trade came from the viscounty of Ettinford, revised by the woman who was now the Countess of Attica. For two years, Queen Aishe oversaw Ettinford and loved it dearly. Even before that, she held title to a land called Wisp Marsh, which was within Ettinford’s territory. While she retained her ladyship, she renounced her viscounty to take on a much larger project in hopes of continuing the success she had begun on a more local level.

The county of Attica was home to another viscounty, Cadanera, and two baronies, Arytone and Aethyia. The southern region of Fenia was lacking of direct leadership and nobility, Attica being no different. Within the whole Duchy of Athena, the only major nobles were of Attica and the Queen’s little sister, who was Baroness of Aethyia. Otherwise, minor lordships were scattered amongst Attica’s landscape.

The landscape itself was a variety of wetlands, beach, forest, and plains. A complex ecosystem came with its problems, but the county was able to provide a wide array of lifestyles to many different types of creatures. This helped boost the growing economy with specialities of a variety of goods. The efforts the queen put into the Ettinford viscounty were quickly shifted to the entire county. Improved roads was the first project to extend through the county. It was a large one, but necessary to support safe trade and efficiency across the board. This was done during the spring and summer of 1661. The costly project offered jobs to many peasants, compensated well for their hard work. There was an eagerness to accomplish the roadwork before winter approached - both for travel purses and for the peasants’ purse. While Attica was furthest from the mountain region, the sea breeze could carry an ice storm inland and snow could still become a county-wide problem.

Within the towns of Attica, the queen restored schools and improved things like the collection of books for local education. She hired local artists to craft temples, sculptures, and even artwork for the estate. Her goal was to promote artistry in a region so full of life and inspiration. The central counties and duchies were full of wealth and success - she wanted the same for her region. It was her duty was Attica’s countess do ensure her people thrived.

Of course, it was not as easy to do as it was on paper. She reminded herself they had to take it one step at a time. Her attention was also divided, making things additionally difficult. Being Queen and Vicerine of Fenia could be demanding at times, although she shared the weight of the Kingdom with her two spouses. That was not the case when it came to her other crown, the Kralisi of the Boreens Durri Natsia. By taking over the Natsia she had left and merging it into the one her and her cousins created, the responsibility of her Romany duties were many. On a day to day basis, she had assistance with each job. For Fenia, her sister who served as royal secretary. For Attica, her loyal steward, Medhi, who had been with her for many years. And for BDR, she had the Rom Baros she could rely on for the day-to-day. It helped, but at times it was overwhelming.

There was the additional stress of her growing family. By the summer of 1661, she was the mother to fourteen children. Some were fully grown and independent, but the little royals were all under three. That left them with seven infants. (Thank the Mages for nannies.) The familial curse of twins from Akos left them with three sets of identical twins, which really only added to the chaos of babies.

At times, life felt suffocating. Aishe was surrounded by creatures at all times, no matter where she was or what she was doing. For a free spirit, the stone walls and paperwork could be crushing. When it all became too much, she would escape central Fenia to her county and work from the Semaban Castle. Just as Ettinford did, Semaban became a haven. While it was larger than the Ettinford estate house and was in disarray, there was a familiarity that provided comfort. And as she really begun to decorate it with new furnishing and fresh paintings, it really grew to be a second home.

The Semaban Castle was surrounded by acres and acres of woods. The immediate backing of the home was given privacy by a towering wall, with arches equally spaced throughout. The lawn held a fountain and small collections of flowers, but it was beyond the stone arches that the true garden laid. Every colour imaginable was on display in some fashion, with both local and exotic foliage laid out in a purposeful, but sporadic manner. She had worked with the gardener she used back at the Imperian Palace to bring her vision into reality. She wanted a place she could fully immerse into nature, a place to reset her mind. As fall approached, the gardens were well developed. She could not wait to see how they looked next spring.

After months of having Attica, it was starting to feel like a home. The work on Semaban’s interior was mostly finished, which meant that it was now safe to bring her young children with her when she took a trip to the coast. She fully believed the change of scenery would benefit them all and the salt air was rejuvenating.
Aishe Ehsan Sanchari-Kuhlash | Married to Akos | Mother of Dynasties | Mum of 16
♛ Queen Mother of Fenia | The White Wolf | Senator of Bravia🍓
Kralisi Kaer of Boreens Durri Roma (BDR) ☾ Rani Ji Purrana
[Art | Historian ]
Mallory

Post by Mallory »

She lead the horse drawn cart to her sister's property with quiet thoughts. She'd withdrawn to her new barony and the home that had been created when she and Thartis and their lost partner had been intended to live there. She wasn't sure what to do with the property, but she wanted to walk it, see the place, see how it had turned out. She wanted to decide if she wished to destroy it, or beg Thartis to do so if she didn't have the energy and build again. A review of her property had shown her one thing. Her little barony had properly collected the tariffs most vassals paid their lords, or in this case lady, but they had not delivered it. Salted fish, carefully dried for the winter, and ricks of wood were piled on the cart she led. It was a large cart, requiring two horses and even with her help they strained against the load.

She wasn't going to bother her sister, with all the children she knew she would be busy, but she very much wanted to try to be a better vassal, a better sister, and a better secretary. As she'd visited the area when she first gained her barony she felt, somehow things were different, they'd grown. The creatures she passed certainly seemed to be happy. She smiled to each and nodded, plodding along with the horses to drop the supplies off. She tucked the note she penned into the basket on the front of the cart. Yes, perhaps she was a bad aunt for leaving such treats and toys for the children and baubles and gifts for the older ones, but she still wanted to spoil them as long as she could. There were bracelets and necklaces in their ornate preferences, knives with mother of pearl inlay on the handles, and designs carved into the blade, tops and dolls, building toys and messily sewn stuffed creatures of all kinds, her own attempt at handmade gifts. She really should have burned them, she thought. Her note simply wished her sister, sister in law, and brother in law well, offered to visit any time she was in residence, and let her know how sorry Mallory was that her supplies were rather late, given they'd accumulated en mass and another bunch would need delivered within in the week. She also asked if her sister liked salted fish, as that seemed to be what her little hamlet was fond of making. Upon arriving Mallory asked the nearest person where to take the items she had stacked. "Hello? Excuse me... Can you help me?"
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

It was an average day when she got a notice of a visitor to the Semaban. Medhi had been tucked away in the room she had made her office when a servant announced Mallory's arrival. The room was perfect: located on the bottom floor near the front entryway, it was easily accessible with a large window for light and summer breeze and the back wall was lined by bookshelves. Her desk sat in the middle of the room, surface cleared of all but a quill and stack of papers. The room was tidy, not a book out of place. That was how she worked and it was why she had remained Aishe's steward after a decade.

A woman in her thirties, Medhi matched her employer in blonde locks and pale complexion. To the best of public knowledge, she was human. Tall and slender, there was much hidden behind the chocolate eyes. Aishe never asked personal questions and Medhi never gave out information on her past. Somehow, the pair had found a good balance between their vastly different personalities. Much had changed since Aishe initially hired her on to assist with her bakery and fields back in Bravia City, but Medhi had chosen to stay with the vampire. They complimented each other well and after ten years, life working for Aishe was really the only life she had. Or wanted, even.

She emerged from her office to meet Mallory, whom had been led inside. Medhi offered a respectful incline of her head, but there was no warm greeting. Respect was the warmest she had to offer.

"Welcome to Semaban, Baroness. You may be aware already, but your sister is in Imperius right now. How can I help you?"

Mallory

Post by Mallory »

She followed inside as she was led, smiling when she was spoken to once more. "Greetings. I wasn't quite as aware, but I realized, recently, that my taxes were due to my sister. At least they should be by now surely, as she is my lady leige. I gathered a fair amount to bring as I'm sure I'm late. When I reviewed the barony I never asked the proper amount to pay a liege lord in taxes, however, I want to do what is right. So where do I leave it?" She asks. Her mouth babbling a bit as her mind ran through the answer that seemed clearest.

She helpfully added "It's a large wagonful. And could you ask Aishe to let me know the proper amount of each item she prefers?" She looked hopeful. Her own steward would likely be handling this stuff one day, but Mallory wasn't accustomed to having one yet. "It's salted fish and wood. Oh and some freshly carded wool from the wife of the man who tends the flocks. She said for the babies." She tried to look baroness-ish but likely looked confused.
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

The explanation of Mallory’s visit was received with a nod. Once the woman was done speaking, Medhi spoke in return:

“Having been tasked with the daily runnings of Attica, I have the information you seek. Follow me.”

She turned around and retraced the short path back into the office. She went to central bookshelf. There was no searching as she knew exactly where each book was. Ledgers of each viscounty, barony, and minor land holdings were neatly stored on the shelf at eye level behind the desk. Medhi picked up a brown book with a creased leather spine, with the words ‘Barony of Aethyia’ carved into it. The letters were once inlayed with gold, but time and neglect left behind little but flakes in the engraved words.

She turned around and sat the book down, flipping open its contents for Mallory to view. “Do you have a ledger with you to compare notes? If not, I have gone through the ones we had here and made the necessary adjustments in accordance to the local economy. Attica was in a bit of state of disarray after years of little direct supervision.

Shall we go out to inspect the goods you’ve brought?”

Mallory

Post by Mallory »

"Ledger?" Mallory looked a tiny bit confused and her voice liked leaked a bit of the same into her tone, "No, I haven't a ledger. I didn't know I need one? Or that I should bring it with me. This is my first time being a Baroness and I'm fairly certain my steward is simply the most learned person in the little village near me. There wasn't even a proper building when I arrived, so I don't think there are any ledgers anywhere to review. We can certainly inspect what I've brought." she nodded moving back towards the door muttering softly under her breath, "I'm certainly glad someone knows what I'm meant to be bringing." She stepped to the side of the door, allowing the knowledgeable steward to lead the way.
Aishe

Post by Aishe »

Medhi stood there for a moment, realizing what little guidance Mallory had. Before they left the office, she responded with, “I understand things are disorganized. I will help you how I can to correct this. The benefit of bringing a ledger with you would be to ensure that everything that was collected arrived and to make sure it is all in the correct amounts.”

The advice was genuine, even if her voice did not imply a warm conversation. The steward led Mallory out of the castle and approached the wagon inquisitively. Taxes in Fenia were low, but always necessary. It helped fund the large projects the Countess pursued.

“Let us go over what you have brought.”

Mallory

Post by Mallory »

She nodded and made a mental note to find and purchase a ledger and take note of her supplies and what was going where in it. She was sure something like that could be found in the Viceroyalty market if nowhere else. When they reached the wagon she nodded, noting some of the items had shifted in transit. She spoke up helpfully, "The crates hold carded wool. I'm told it's from the softest sheep our area has to offer and has been washed and carded carefully. Some of it is dyed with blue flowers that grow along the waterfront. And the dark purple of polk berries. It's been well rinses and dried so it's safe for use. The barrels are salted or smoked fish. That should keep a good while, I know we often sell to ships leaving on longer voyages. I asked them to selected the choicest among of selections, but to provide a variety. There is some smoked pink fish that I have learned is good of bread. The rest of the wagon is loaded with wood, oak, I believe they told me, a mixture of white and willow. It should be two solid racks of wood." she stopped talking feeling a bit like she was explaining what was mostly visible.