[ORP-Game] The Battle of Lynn Pass

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Vand

[ORP-Game] The Battle of Lynn Pass

Post by Vand »

The Battle of Lynn Pass

It was a snowy February morning when the little girl came out of her family's farmhouse. Buried under an impossibly round pile of seasonal clothes, her closest resemblance was rather that of a walking yarn ball. She carried small wooden bucket, dangling occasionally by her side as she made her way towards the village well. Hopefully, she thought, just a thin layer of water would have solidified overnight. It was always a hassle to be forced to bang the bucket's bottom against the cracking ice, and the perspective of a hot bowl of soup was the spur that kept her going down the crunching road of white.

But her innocent thoughts were soon wrenched away. People were shouting in the village, muffled screams incomprehensible in the distance. She couldn't tell what was happening at all. Scared neighbours ran away, wading desperately through the snowbanks in a beeline towards the stables. It was scary. The bucket fell and rolled downhill, the child's sight blurred with tears as overwhelming fear paralyzed her limbs. Somebody lifted her up and onto a horse, and she never saw the village again.

Something was indeed happening. In a matter of days, sightings of vile creatures and unexpected attacks flooded the white capped peaks and slopes of Lynn Pass, an old valley between the mountainous borders of Widu and Northfenshire. Words spread quickly from that small part of the world to all corners of Secfenia, and with them tales of panic and broken caravans of refugees seeking protection from the wind. Reports of savage men descending from the heights merged with the written alerts of village elders who spoke of wolves and greenskin hordes. People whispered in taverns, in awe of terrible ancient beings they had only heard about in songs before. Wary messengers exhausted horses, sharing a general call for help to both authorities and common folk. To Fenia, to Bravia, to anyone who would listen.

An army of darkness assembled in the north.

I'm going to run this as an ORP, open to anyone who wants to write. It's going to be about a particular conflict in the mountains between Widu and Northfenshire (location checked with TPB Aishe) - A battle between an invading NPC force against an alliance led by the participating players.
The battle itself will be run as a forum minigame with some simple rules I've made. It will be turn based, with each round lasting about a week to give people time to send me their next move and write some RP about what's happening if they want to.

Each participating character will lead a unit (a sector of the battle line) and face an enemy unit directly in front of it. Each turn, they can issue a command to their troops to change their stance (Charge, Hold, or Skirmish). When the turn is resolved, I will roll a dice for each unit in combat, add the involved bonuses or penalties, and whoever gets the highest result will damage the opposite side. A unit damaged 3 times is eliminated.

Example battle:

Bonus:
- Charge: +1 against Skirmish. If a charging unit wins the round it will damage the enemy twice.
- Hold: +1 against Charge. If a holding unit wins the round it will also heal 1 damage.
- Skirmish: +1 against Hold. If a holding unit wins the round it will also cause the opponent to have a -1 to their dice result next round.
- Support: A unit that has eliminated its opposition will support friendly units next to it for a +1 bonus.
- Heros: Once enough characters with units have signed up, other characters can still participate by joining an existing unit individually as a Hero. They don't have to send commands each round, but they'll get a chance to have a once per game heroic moment that will be decisive for the round.

On a natural roll of 6 in a dice there's a random chance to hurt an enemy unit leader or hero. If hit, I will roll a dice to find out the general nature of the impact (1: Humiliating mistake, 2: Scratch, 3: Light wound, 4: Serious wound, 5: Unconsciousness, 6: Epic defeat) RP descriptions of wounds or unit elimination are intentionally vague to leave it to participants to roleplay the details of the results as they see fit.

I'd like to have 5-6 players involved at least, but can tweak the rules if we're more or less than that. If you're interested please post with your unit's name and a brief description of it (ie. What sort of troops they are, how they're armed) to inform everyone else's roleplaying. Let me know if there's any doubt.
Vand

Re: [ORP-Game] The Battle of Lynn Pass

Post by Vand »

Well it's almost 50 views and 1 week later and there hasn't been any interest at all, so I'm cancelling this RP.
I might try another game with a friendlier setting in the future.
Nikola

Re: [ORP-Game] The Battle of Lynn Pass

Post by Nikola »

I'm not sure it was the setting. I actually considered joining in, but the rules and points structure seemed rather complicated and I could not decide how to play it, so kept waiting for someone else to start and give me an idea of how to begin. So sorry! Do try again, though. I love the concept of an ORP battle game.