[CRP] Family is Forever

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Cordelia

Re: [CRP] Family is Forever

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia stared at her cousin for a moment. It appeared her statement had been misinterpreted, but she debated if it was best to drop it. Ultimately, she decided to press the topic - if just to better judge how Thea truly felt about the situation.

“It will be good for you have your own roof, even if it is provided by him.” She paused, before continuing in a quiet voice.

“One of the midwives has a specialty. She carries old knowledge of the Forest... Accidents happen.” She would not let Thea be trapped and looking at her cousin, she felt little regret with the offer of a way out. She would love the child if it came to be born, but Thea was her priority. “Even a king can’t fight nature. It would be blameless, the whims of the Mages.”
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Big Sister to Elisabeth “Elisa” | Cousin to High King Zuan, Thea, & more
Married to Rhozin Gellygen of Kiene | Mother of Winter Pearle and Keir
Thea

Post by Thea »

Realization slowly dawned on her. She was being offered a 'natural' solution to her problem. An out. A very, very dangerous out. Thea knew very well what could happen, especially as she was over halfway through the pregnancy at this point. Several years ago she had known a girl who was in similar situation who sought an out. She died a week later in extreme agony and pain. Blood poisoning, that was what she had been told.

"No."

Her words were sharp as she looked away from her cousin. It was not the baby's life or her own morals she was concerned about. The truth was that Thea was not willing to die. Not for this.

"What you offer me is dangerous even if it was early on. No."
Dorathea "Thea" Sanchari Winterbourne | Lady of Redcroft Manor | The Red Wolf
Cousin of the Winterbournes | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, & Lenora | Wife of Aileigh
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

There it was. The realization. Cordelia watched the reaction closely. It quickly became evident that the option was off the table. It was not the sharp ‘no’ that convinced her, it was the look in her cousin’s eyes. Cordelia gave a nod and looked ahead, watching the swirling water for a moment.

“That is your right. I only wanted to ensure you had the option, should you want to seek it. I just could not get it to you sooner, under Zuan’s thumb.”

The watchful king. Their loving cousin. He would have been red in the face with anger if he heard what Cordelia had offered moments ago. But they were not with him; they were at her home. It was empowering, emboldening. They were on her turf and Thea was under her care.

“I would rather lose a child I do not know, than a person I love. If you are certain, then I will speak no more on the matter.

We need to get more weight on you, cousin. You are looking a wee bit thin for someone half along in pregnancy. I am no doctor, but you’ve got me worried. If there is any food you desire, tell the staff. They will do anything they can to make you the most comfortable.”

Cordelia stopped, rotating her foot a little to create some tension along the top of the water.

“I will have my seamstress come by next week to take some measurements. She can make you a dress for the wedding. Her skills are quite remarkable, even on short notice. She can also sew some light summer gowns for the coming months, if you’d like.”

She realized she was talking an awful lot. Glancing at Dorathea, her expression softened. She didn’t want to scare her away, but similarly, she felt the need to express her support. “I am here if you would like to talk about anything though... Including what happened.”[/color
Viscountess Cordelia Zabel (Winterbourne) Everhart-Gellygen of the Highlands, the Horned Wolf
Thea

Post by Thea »

Good. She was glad that Cordelia would not push her further on the subject. She did not want to have to explain further on the subject and elaborate on her own selfishness. In a way it was selfish. She was not sure she would ever love the child. She had no maternal instinct. She did not dream of becoming a mother. Maybe that was something that could be learned. Or maybe she would never bond with it. She did not know.

"I have barely been able to keep food down; the sight or smell of most food makes me feel nauseous. The physician told me it would go away but it has not."

Thea looked briefly at her cousin as she explained the reason for her weight loss. Her eyes shifted again back towards the water flowing freely out of the fountain. It was like there was a parasite inside of her, draining her energy and making her sick. It made her nap at least once a day and the majority of her meals would not stay down.

"Even thinking about it makes me queasy. I am throwing up less now, but I think that is because I have been avoiding food."

She doubted that the servants here could help her with that. The conversation moved on so she did not dwell on the thought long. Thea's head nodded to the offer of a seamstress to help her with clothing but she made no further comment. At least she did not have to worry about it and it would just be taken care of for her.

Then Cora offered to talk about what happened. Thea stood from the spot she was sitting, the skirts falling down into the water. Suddenly she felt very restless. She walked slowly through the water with little care to her dress that was now soaked at the bottom.

"I am not sure what to say. I do not even know what you have been told."
Cousin of the Winterbournes | Mother of Zevander, Corabel, Elodie, & Lenora | Wife of Aileigh
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Sympathy arose, Cordelia’s expression softening. It would be difficult to keep weight if one could not keep down their food. It was a common symptom of pregnancy, but she thought it was meant to be gone by now. What did she know though? She had never been pregnant. She had never been kissed before. The entirety of her cousin’s situation was more foreign to her than her betrothed’s foreign home. She could only hope the creatures she’d summoned for assistance may offer something useful for this particularly deadly problem.

She watched Thea stand up, sensing the restlessness stirred by her last statement. Cordelia shook her head lightly. “Zuan refused to tell me much. I know you left, I know there was a boy, I know there were vows...” Grey eyes dropped from Thea’s face to the ring dangling against her chest. “And then you were back.

You do not have to speak of it, but if there is someone you can talk to, I’d like to think it is me.”
Thea

Post by Thea »

"Perhaps the King does not like to speak of it because my actions were in direct defiance of him. Or maybe it is because the boy I married was below my station."

Cordelia's eyes had turned to the ring resting on her chest. It was a symbol not of love or marriage, but of the guilt she carried with her for destroying the boy's life. Thea turned towards the center of the fountain placed her hand under the running water there before continuing.

"I did not know him well, or at all even. He was a tool that I used to aid in my escape. That sounds harsh but it is true. I married the baker's son because I thought that then no one would be able to control me anymore. Now he is gone and I am back where I started. Mostly."

She glanced down at her rounded abdomen as she said the word 'mostly.' The truth was that a lot had changed because of what had happened last December. She was watched more closely by Zuan and his guards and she had less freedom ever since. All this was in addition to dealing with the harsh reality of an unwanted pregnancy. She had yet to even deal with a screaming infant.

"I think I would rather not speak on it anymore... for now."
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia listened. Listening was the least she could do, she felt. Maybe if Thea realized she was not so alone, not so trapped, her destructive behaviour would curb. That was part of her argument with Zuan, in her pursuit to have Thea under her care. She could only hope time in the Hartlands would help.

She was not told anything she did not already know or speculate, but it was still good to have Thea talk of the situation, even if minimally. When she announced she’d rather speak no more of it, Cordelia gave a nod and stood up too. She stepped out of the fountain and extended a hand to her cousin in assistance.

“Let’s head inside, so you can get familiar with Everden before dinner.”
Thea

Post by Thea »

ONE WEEK LATER

Over the past week, Thea had settled into life at Everden. It was not hard. She felt just as isolated here as she had been at the castle. Only occasionally was she bothered by one of Cordelia's servants or Zuan's guards. Here at least she had more freedom than she had back in the city. She was allowed to go outside and stretch her legs. The gardens and the warmth from the sun brought with it a sense of relaxation that the castle would never give her.

The week also brought physicians and midwives visiting Thea at the hunting lodge. She found all of them annoying and overbearing. They all hyper-fixated on her weight loss and how unhealthy she was. At the end of the week, she was told to pick two of them, one each. Thea heaved an annoyed sigh.

"Fine. The two from yesterday seemed the least annoying."

The servant nodded and turned to leave the room before quickly adding:

"Lady Cordelia will be here again tomorrow to see you."

The next day Thea skipped breakfast, a growing annoyance of the chefs, and went out to the garden to await her cousin's impending arrival.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Cordelia had forgone a carriage, enjoying the pleasant weather on horseback. The ride from Hart Helm to Everden was a couple of hours, but the passing familiar scenery was a nice distraction. There was relief in escaping Hart Helm and seeking refuge with her cousin in hiding. That relief mostly stemmed from the fact she was banking on Dorathea’s assistance.

Once down the drive, she gently pulled Fairydust to a halt. She and her two guards were approached immediately, their arrival expected, which meant she passed her reigns off after she dismounted and headed straight inside with a book tucked under her arm. She was quickly redirected to the garden, but before she went ahead, she requested tea and snacks to be brought out. She had no issue staying in the garden to enjoy the afternoon air.

Cordelia found Thea without much looking, spotting the thin girl by the fountain. Smiling, she approached and hugged her cousin, before taking a look over her. She had heard that Thea was settling in nicely, but that her appetite continued to be an issue. The condition was, unfortunately, apparent.

“Hello cousin. Enjoying the sunshine? I rode Fairy here to enjoy the day too.” Her cheeks were a little red from the wind, but the tight braid in her hair kept. Otherwise, her attire itself had been a give away to her travel: wearing a lightweight dress of green and navy, with minimal design. “How are you feeling? Do you mind if we sit at the table?”

She held up large book she had with her in explanation, before leading over to the outdoor table that was a few feet away. As she sat down, she placed the book on the table and crossed her ankles. It was not long after that a tray of biscuits and tea was also atop the table. “Has Everden been treating you well? I like the midwife and physician you chose.”