[IRP] The County of Northborough

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Tyris

Re: [IRP] The County of Northborough

Post by Tyris »

Tyris waited in the sitting room by the door for some time, however as afternoon slowly trickled into evening it became readily apparent that Ella was unlikely to be home soon, and even sitting upon comfortable furniture in front of a roaring fire was not ideal for time on end, and so with a slight sigh of frustration he rose to his feet and headed up further into the estate toward his own study, but not before giving a message to the housemistress that upon Ella’s return she should give note that Tyris wished to speak to her in private.

Thus as night drew in Tyris could be found in his study. The room was of decent size and feature a large winged armchair made of fine leather, and a fireplace which roared merrily as the embers crackled and the light it released filled the room. He was sat at his desk, quill in hand writing away on various pieces of parchment. A diary of sorts, nothing too elaborate or even interesting, just that to keep himself busy and perhaps somewhat sane within the estate. When he could not always find it within himself to talk to those in the estate he could always find some peace with his craft of writing, to focus and to explain away his days and thoughts.

After a while his gaze turned to the window, where outside the darkness did cover all the grounds of the estate. He had not yet heard if Ella was back, but remained seated, it was not yet time for dinner, and so until either that time was now, or Ella knocked upon the door he would remain quiet and continue his work upon the parchment in his own little bubble away from the rest of the estate and indeed the world.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola nodded in acknowledgement of Ella’s request that she stay the night out of concern for her safety. “Thank you, I agree that would probably be best,” she said quietly after Ella had finished speaking. The manor was a large house and Ella had only shown her part of it, so she had no doubt that she could give them plenty of privacy.

The ride back was quiet, with Nikola keeping a sharp eye on their surroundings. She did not have quite the night vision that elves were rumored to have, but her eyes tended to catch more detail than most humans in the dark. Besides, she always had her power to light their way should things become too precarious. However, there was no need for it as they arrived back at the manor stables without incident.

She did not want to keep Ella waiting on her to take care of Starr herself, and the stable hands seemed well trained, so she turned her reins over to them and collected her satchel from its place on Starr’s saddle and followed Ella out of the stables, catching up to her and walking beside her along the path that connected the stables to the manor. At the mention of food, Nikola’s stomach decided to answer for her, rumbling low in her belly. She chuckled quietly as she answered,
“My stomach says yes,” to the question of whether or not she was hungry. “Just point me in the direction of the kitchen, and then have someone show me to my room and I can stay out of your hair until morning, unless you want to see me again after you have spoken with Tyris. Your choice, of course,” she assured Ella.
Ella

Post by Ella »

"I'd like to speak with you after, but I suppose that depends on how long the discussion takes," Ella answered as they were nearing the end of the pathway. "I will try to stop in but if it gets to be too late, please don't wait up for me."

Once they reached the manor, Ella held the door open so that Nikola could go inside first before she followed in. The side entry hall was much smaller than the main entrance hall and closer to the kitchen. It took only moments for a servant to come to greet them and take their cloaks. "My Lady, your husband is waiting for you in his study. He said he needed to speak with you privately," the maid said as her eyes darted to Ella's guest. This surprised her given the couple had barely spoken to each other. "I see. Well, can you please show Lady Nikola to the kitchen and then help her to her room? Anything she needs, please see to it." The witch gave her friend a quick hug before turning and making her way down the corridor. She turned down another passageway that led to Tyris's study and walked the short distance to the door.

At the door, she froze. Paralyzed. She knew she had to knock on the door but her body would not cooperate. When she knocked on that door she would be ending a marriage. This is not how she expected things to play out. Steeling herself for a moment, she turned away from the door and closed her eyes. She took several deep breaths to calm her nerves. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Then she turned back to the door and knocked.
❋ Duchess of North Fenshire ❋ Wife of Zuan ❋ Finance Minister of Fenia ❋ Mayor of Fenia City ❋
Tyris

Post by Tyris »

He heard the knock upon the door, and tilted his gaze toward it. It was still not yet time for dinner, which meant the hand upon the door was likely not to belong to a servant, but rather to his wife. Or least wife for the time being at least. He took another breath before rising to his feet, finding his legs almost the weight of lead as he approached the door, not due to fatigue but rather due to the feelings that he knew what conversation was to come as he opened that door – and so as he placed his hand upon the brass handle, he turned it, and opened the door to see his wife, Ella, stood there before him.

He offered her a gentle smile and a polite bow, before stepping back and offering her the opportunity to cross into his study so they could have some privacy away from the rest of the estate and the household. ”Thank you for meeting me like this Ella, I know it is late, and you have no doubt been busy, but I feel it is urgent to speak with you, to express my thoughts and receive your advice – for I suppose that is what spouses are for no? Even if in truth, we have not truly been husband and wife as we might have wished, I only ask for this conversation we behave as such, and speak with candour, honesty and truth.”

He said before closing the door and locking it behind them, before turning himself back toward the two armchairs which were sat before the fireplace, providing warmth to both them and the room. He took one seat, and hoped she would take the other, before he would go any further with the truths which littered his heart.
Ella

Post by Ella »

It wasn't long before the large oak door swung forward to reveal the room inside. Tyris greeted her with a bow and his usual formality as she crossed the threshold into the man's study. Ella searched the room for some sort of sign of what was to come. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but of course, she hadn’t actually visited this room. Though it occupied a space in her own house, Ella never felt it right to intrude on her husband's private study. So much was already in her name, he could at least keep his privacy.

She turned back to the man, eyes an uncertain shade as it shifted and swirled between shades of blues and greens, black and grey. Like the churning of an ocean before a hurricane. Tyris spoke first, thanking her for joining him and continuing on about how they should behave as husband and wife in this conversation and speak with openness and candor. Ella internally cursed herself. Was he going to try to fix the irreparable chasm that now separated them? They were together in a room but yet felt so far apart that they might as well be on separate continents. She held her tongue instead nodding her head as she took her seat. She would allow him to speak first while she carefully thought over how she would respond to a million and one possibilities.
❋ Duchess of North Fenshire ❋ Wife of Zuan ❋ Finance Minister of Fenia ❋ Mayor of Fenia City ❋
Tyris

Post by Tyris »

He noted the shade of her eyes changing, swiftly and often no doubt giving away the doubt in her own heart as to why he had asked to speak with her. Without thinking much of why, he did it anyway, and took her hand into his, perhaps it was so their two bands of marriage could be seen together, gently reflecting the crackling flame in the fireplace, or perhaps it was because he wanted there to be some connection between them, if not emotional, physical. His gaze found hers and he made a determined effort to keep eye contact with his wife as he now sought to find the right words to explain the situation he felt they both were struggling with and how best to approach the next step in order to resolve the purgatory they both presently faced within this marriage. He took another breath, and then he spoke, finally seeking to give clarity to the reasons he sought to speak with her.

”Again. I thank you Ella for coming and speaking with me… I know…” He stuttered for a moment, but knew he had to continue, he had to tell the truth for both their sakes. ”A year ago, you and I, came together under a proposal by the King to join us, and by extension our houses together as one. Furthermore in doing so he had hoped that we might…might have children who could then permanently cement an alliance and from this County seat hold significant status within this Kingdom.

Ofcourse. In truth. You already did. You were the Mayor of Fenia City, A Viscount, and his trusted adviser upon the council. Whereas I, his cousin, was more on the fringes, A knight serving his King, with nothing more than the minor lordship and territory granted to me upon my father’s death. As such, I know this marriage gave me much, whereas it asked much of you, to wed a man you did not know, all at the request of a King, who, naturally, would put the political need of the realm, above the emotional need of two of it’s subjects.
He kept his eyes on her as he said those words, because that was where the biggest problem between them lay. Not in their appearances or even their personalities or their beliefs, but rather that there was simply no romantic and emotional connection between the pair.

”I know we have tried to do our duty to our King, and also right by one another, and the oath we swore upon the altar when we were wed. Yet, while I believe we have both tried with the best intentions to have this marriage flourish and grow from seed into flourishing tree, the reality is the seed was never set in the earth, and while water and sunshine met it, no life ever dawned. I care for you truly Ella, I wish you to be happy, to experience joy and bliss, and for you to be given all that life should grant one such as wonderful as you, but I know I am not the man able to grant you those such things. Most of all, that greatest of gifts, ones heart and soul.” It felt easier now, as he went on, explaining his feelings and his views on their marriage.

”And thus while I would never wish you ill or pain, I feel this marriage is in truth causing those two faults to us both. Perhaps not cripplingly so, perhaps not fatally so, but enough that much like a cliff eroded by the sea, that one day it will wear us both thin until that mutual respect and perhaps even kindness we have for one another, is lost under that ocean tide, and all we have left is our bitterness and our spite. And I do not wish to hold those feelings for you M’lady.” his focus remained fixed on her ever swirling and changing eye colour.

”I tell you this not to cause you pain or guilt or suffering, but rather so I, in this moment as your husband, can show you as my wife the ultimate sign of loyalty and dedication. Trust and honesty. That I feel that our marriage has not, and will not flourish, and for that reason, it might be best for us to part company as husband and wife.”

”Know, I shall not demand it of you, or of the King, if you wish to keep it. For I am a man of honour and of my oaths. And so I shall not break an oath, not ever. But if you, as the other party in that oath, agree there is no vow to be had, then I shall not consider there dishonour in walking away from a vow that we both know is worse kept whole than shattered apart.”

He sighed gently, before looking at her again ”Know I do not expect an answer now, but I ask you think on my words, and if you feel as I do, that there can be no true love between us, that we seek out his Majesty the King, and ask for him to release us from the promise he sought of us when he asked us to wed for family and for Kingdom.”
Ella

Post by Ella »

Now sitting across from each other, Tyris reached out and took Ella's hand into his. Internally she grimaced. This was the opposite of what she wanted. It took every ounce of her willpower to not immediately yank her hand away and blurt her own thoughts. His eyes sought hers as they sat there. Ella tried to keep her expression neutral to not let on the panic she felt beneath the surface. The quiet felt heavy with so many unspoken words and she was very nearly about to burst the bubble with word vomit. A second longer and she would have broken the respite, but thankfully Tyris began his longwinded explanation of why he asked to speak with her.

At first, Ella felt the fear mounting during this sort of circular monologue with elegant word fluff. It wasn't until near the end of this speech that she realized he was not begging her to fix this crumbling facade. No, she had been right all this time. Tyris was not under some grand delusion that this could be fixed. He was in just as much discomfort as she was in this marriage. At first, she was stunned into silence, having prepared for this conversation to take a different turn.

It took her a few moments to recover before Ella let out a sigh of relief. Her words had none of the elegance of his as she bluntly replied,
"I was going to ask you for an annulment." He had not expected her to have an answer right away. But she had already decided what she needed. Staying in this marriage would eventually kill her. Maybe not physically but it would wither away what remaining happiness she found in this life until she was nothing but a shell. "I care not for the vows. Not that vows are not important. But they were made as husband and wife. Not till death do us part or for as long as we both live. Husband and wife. We end this, then nothing is owed," Ella explained to him, her voice genuine. She knew that Tyris valued honor and breaking an oath was the last thing he wanted to do. But the oaths made between them held no weight if there was no marriage. "The title the King can take back, I don't care. And this marriage will produce no heirs. There is nothing left. Only two unhappy people tied together." It was true there was still one small roadblock, one potential hiccup. The King. It was him who had forged this union, it was him who had to end it. "Aye, I suppose we do still need to speak to him. You don't suppose a letter would do the trick?" She had it already written out in her head. A missive to end it all.
Tyris

Post by Tyris »

He almost cracked a smirk, similar to that of his cousins at her words, so blunt and so forward, entirely in contrast to his own monologue about his thoughts and feelings on the matter, and how he had come to the conclusion based upon the year together. Whereas here she was saying without rhyme or reason that she wanted the same thing – then again he supposed she did not need to give him an explanation, as she went on it appeared his concerns were mirrored by her own, and the conclusion they had reached, albeit separately, was the same. ”I am glad to hear my feelings do not cause you pain, and that you seek the same end that I do.” He said calmly as he continued to look over at her. ”I think a letter is perhaps a good start? To warn him of our feelings, not to surprise him and put him in a corner. We both know he would not think highly of that.” He said thoughtfully. ”But we both know we must visit him in person at the court and get his approval, in front of witnesses no doubt, to ensure the Kingdom is well aware of our choice. However, a letter is a good start.” He finally relinquished her hand, and then carefully placed one hand to the other as he slowly slid his wedding ring from his finger and placed it into Ella’s now free hand. ”Then, I think tomorrow we go together, and we end this now, before anymore strain is caused upon us, and that we both be granted the freedoms we wish from one another. Once again Lady Winter- Lady Blackwood, I thank you for your honesty, and the welcome you granted me into your life. I wish you all the best from this day onwards.” He said, with a soft and care-free smile. Glad that now, with all said, they could soon be free of the bonds which tied them together, when those bonds felt more like chains than satin ribbons.
Ella

Post by Ella »

Ella took the ring into her hand, peering down at the custom craft. A golden ring with a fox engraved into the surface. She took off her own rings, her betrothal and her wedding ring. She immediately felt the chill set into her body as the rings that were designed to give her everlasting heat were removed. She offered them to Tyris as she spoke in a slightly teasing voice, "While I admire your eagerness to be rid of me, I think it would be better to wait until I am next due at court. A few days longer will not kill us. Probably." She then turned her tone more serious as she continued, "I will write to the King tomorrow to warn him of our arrival. And then..." A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she was already dreading this conversation before the court.

Ella then turned her gaze to the man that she had spent the last eleven months, nearly a year with
. "You were a good husband, you know. We just...weren't meant to be. One day you will find a woman who loves you and wants to spend her life with you. I hope that when that day comes I can be there to support you. You deserve happiness as much as anyone else." Her eyes then shifted back to her now empty hands as she wondered if one day she would marry again. She doubted it. Three times was enough. Yes, one of those times was to herself but technically she was married.

"Goodnight, Tyris," she said as she stood from her seat. She quickly departed from the room to go upstairs and find Nikki. She arrived at the door and knocked softly, loud enough that she should be heard but not too loud as to disturb her friend if she had gone to sleep early.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

The servant that Ella had attached to her led her to the kitchens where Nikola was informed that dinner was almost ready, but not quite. She was allowed to take a fresh hot roll with her as the servant then led her to the room in which she would spend the night. Nikola thanked the woman and dismissed her back to whatever other duties were waiting for her with the promise to return once dinner was ready.

After the servant left, Nikola closed the door and began emptying the contents of her satchel onto the dressing table and organizing the few personal items that she had brought with her so they would be ready for her to use when the time came. She had brought a clean shift to sleep in, toiletry items along with a brush and combs for her hair. She would wear the same outfit she had on now after having a servant lightly clean it and then let it hang to freshen during the night.

The night had grown chill, but not cold, and after having been out in the pleasantness of the late autumn chill, the room felt stuffy and overly warm, so Nikola opened the window nearest her bed and stood in front of it, letting the gentle breeze cool her body. Having a fire inside one tended to make them less susceptible to cold, although not impervious to it. Having a fire inside one when sleeping next to an orc whose body temperature was naturally several degrees warmer than a human made one appreciate the crisp coolness of the night air just that much more.

She had only just stepped away from the window when a soft knock came at the door. Thinking it may be one of the servants come to call her to dinner, she checked herself in the mirror to make sure she was presentable and did not look like she had just come in from a windy horse ride. All appeared to be in order, and so she crossed the room to open the door.

Ella, rather than a servant, stood before her. Nikola took a step back to give Ella space to enter the room.
“Come on in,” she said pleasantly, studying her friend covertly, hoping the young witch had not been further upset by whatever Tyris had to say to her. There was a sense of peace about her that had not been there earlier, and there was no sign of further tears. That was good, was it not?

Once Ella was inside, Nikola shut the door behind her and then led her further into the room away from the door and any prying ears, intentional or otherwise.
“So?” she asked. “How did it go?” She did not want to pry but did want Ella to feel free to talk to her if she wanted to.