[CRP] A Wayward Son Returns

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Bhenithius

Re: [CRP] A Wayward Son Returns

Post by Bhenithius »

A warm summer sun shone brightly down upon Bhenithius, reflecting off the water's surface, startling him from his thoughts as he accidentally lost hold of the wooden rod that had been in his grasp. He watched as it tumbled over the edge of the small boat to splash into the water and sink.

"You let the fish get away again, boy. Now why did ye go and do that for, hm?" Bhen's father's voice chided him in an all too familiar tone of iritation.

Bhenithius looked across the small span of the fishing boat to his fatherly sire, not believing that he was actually talking to him, "Father?! Where am I? You're dead."

Haragwen nodded stoicly, a seemingly permanent frown etched into the deep lines of his face as he replied, "Aye, that may be. But I bet ye all the silver in your savings box that I'm still ten fold smarter dead than ye are alive and breathing, hah! As for where ye are, i'd say ye were the same place ye were a few moments ago, just now ye are there babbling to yourself like the idiot child you always were. Hah!" his father's chest heaved heavily with each hearty laugh. A laugh Bhenithius never remembered hearing while the man was alive.

Bhen's face reddened at his father's words as shame filled him. "Father? AACHK!" he could only manage to get a single word out before a hot pain struck him in the abdomen. He looked down to see a red blood blossom blooming through his quilted shirt. The blood was warm and wet to the touch as he held his hands over the spot.

"Oh, there ye go. Knew it was too much to ask to have one son survive and pass along our proud name.." his father scoffed with dissatisfaction.

"What's hap-happening-ack!" it happened again, and another bloody blossom sprouted a few inches above the first.

His father leaned forward, his eyes filled with malice and disgust, "Should I fetch ye a manual, stupid boy? Or are ye going to stand there like a retarded mule while that Witch stabs ye to death??"

Witch? What am I supposed to be doing? "ACKKK!" he flew out with his hands, feeling an invisible being there and began the struggle for his life against it.

"Fight her boy! Fight her back! Are ye going to be beaten by a Witch, son? I think you will..." he father's voice echoed.

The false reality suddenly evaporated with the sound like the smashing of ceramics. Anique stood before him, but only for the briefest of moments before falling to the ground surrounded by the shattered remains of a heavy vase of sorts. The pain in Bhen's stomach quickly drew his attention, and he too stumbled to the floor holding himself and groaning painfully as he looked up the the familiar face looking down at him. "You..." he mumbled weakly.

The Witch he had been searching for. The Witch he caught stealing in his family's home. The Witch he just might have gotten stabbed to death to find replied with an unamused look on her face, "Me."
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Bhenithius could feel the warmth flowing over his stomach and down the sides of his torso, where it began pooling at either side where he lay staring up at the ceiling of Anique's backroom. She was right. She saw me laying in a pool of my own blood... The second Witch, the target of his entire search and now apparently his would-be savior, stood above him with a thoughtful look upon her face as she gazed over his bleeding, squirming form. "I'm bleeding.." he explained from the floor as he held his hands over his wounds.

"I see that," she replied flatly, bringing a finger to her mouth as she began nibbling worriedly. "She stabbed you. Twice even."

Bhenithius winced, his breathing was laboured. "Why... would she?"

The woman snorted and bent down to grab Bhen by the ankles, "Because you're dumb.."

"I .. was talking ack... to my father..." The ceiling began to move above him in slow, jarring movements that sent fiery pangs of pain through his abdomen. "AHck! Wh-aat are... you doing?"

Sounds of her grunts of struggle punctuated the words of her reply, "AHG!... dragging... ERG!... you're body... GAH!... out the back, to the alley..."

This really wasn't the type of death he had envisioned having. "To finish me off??"

She struggled to pull him up over the bottom of a doorway. "EEG!... No... ERN!... not my style. I'm ... ACH! ... getting you home..."

A queasy sick feeling was filling his gut to join the burning pangs of his stab wounds. "I th-think.. i'm dying..."

Dropping his feet, the woman brushed the hair from her eyes and nodded in agreement. "Yeah. We might have to look at that.." Kneeling down by his side, she pulled his blood sodden tunic up to inspect the two stab wounds just below the left side of his rib cage. Bhenithius gasped for breath and yelped at her prodding fingers. "Hmm.. There's enough muscle and fat on you that i doubt anything vital was punctured. I'm no expert. We'll have to stop the bleeding though." She raise a slender index finger and Bhen watched as it glowed white and bright. The heat of it could be felt beating against his face.

"This will hurt." she warned, before sliding the glowing hot finger into the first of the wounds.

"GLAARGHHH!!!" Bhenithius wailed in brief agony, until she removed the smoking finger and did the same to the other stab wound, effectively cauterizing them.

She waved a hand over his face saying, "Sleep..." and his world ceased to be....

Latter that Evening

The next moment he opened his eyes, he was laying in the near darkness of his room in the family tallhouse, in his bed but upon a mattress which had not been there before. His mouth was dry and his skin was cold even though he could see a fire burning in the dark of the room. The woman's face appeared over him. "Where... where are my mother .. and sis.. sisters?" he asked. The answer to that question had been his sole reason for searching this witch out and getting himself stabbed.

The woman pulled his sheets down to check on the pultices that lay wrapped tightly around Bhen's torso. "They fled for Paz after your father and brother were murdered." she replied.

Paz? His mother was a native of the Pazini tropics, so that would make sense. But why go so far? Imperius had never even been in danger during Lord Michael's reballion. He felt groggy, as if under the effects of some medicinals. "Murdered? They died in combat..." he corrected her.

"Sleep..." the Witch replied, and so he did, with the aid of her magics.

The Next Day

During another brief moment of lucidity, he found the woman sewing up the tears in his quilted doublet resulting from the stabbings. "Why are you doing this?" he managed to asked.

She never bothered looking over to him as she replied, "It was me that led you to Anique's shop. It would have been my fault if she had killed you."

Bhenithius had laid there in silence for a moment, before he inquired, "Did you kill her, back there."

She brought the thread to her teeth, cutting it free from the spool and answered, "I don't think so. Just knocked some sense into her. Now sleep..." And his mind drifted back to a dreamless realm of nothing.

The Day After That

"Bhenithius... Bhenithius.." her voice drifted into his hearing, even though his vision was slow to catch up. Eventually the world and it's colors returned around him, as well as the face of his one time burgular turned nursemaid looking down at him. "I'm the leaving now. I've stayed as many days as I can. You're on your own." She moved out of his sight and he had to push himself up to see her as she flittered about the room collected things.

"What.. what is your.. name?" he asked, still groggy and sore.

"Lucilla." she replied.

Bhenithius didn't know what else to say in the present situation other than, "Thank you."

Lucilla turned a glare on him at that moment and said, "End these foolish quests for answers, Bhenithius. You are not suited to be the adventurer. You'll only succeed in getting yourself killed one day. You've been made a Baron I hear. Swallow your sorry for those you've lost and take the piece of pie they've given you. Or in the end, you'll lose even more..." Without her even saying the word, he could feel her sleep inducing powers taking effect, and she quickly blurred out of sight...
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Later That Day

Bhenithius awoke to the sounds of a persistent banging. The sound sent ringing pains through his cranium as he struggle to sit up, which only worsened the whole ordeal ten fold. He was still wrapped around the torso and the side of his stomach that had been stabbed ache and throbbed with every move. He could hear the sounds of a woman's voice joining the continued banging, but her words her mostly muffled by stone and wood. His tongue felt like sandpaper inside his mouth. I need water...

Working up the might, Bhenithius tried to shake off the last of Lucilla's potent sleeping spell.. or rather her coma spell, and found his pants as well as his mended yet still blood stained tunic resting on the chair in his room. He took his time putting each piece on, not that he had much of a choice in the matter since every move was painful, all the while the banging and the calling continued at the front.

The walk down the stairs was the most grueling of his ordeals to get to the front door. Each step from one step down to the next almost felt like getting stabbed again. Each bang of a fist against the entry way sent more piercing needles into his brain. "..co-coming.." he could barely rasp out his mouth being so dry.

Reaching the front door, he opened it to see a mousy looking woman of middling years bedecked in brown furs and oversized spectacles which did little to draw attention away from her pronounced overbite. Behind her stood a shorter, younger woman of some ethnic background he wasn't familiar with. She carried a large writting tablet, complete with ink and quill in her hands, as well as an oversized carry bag bulging with things...
Magleen_Hoddlekopps

Post by Magleen_Hoddlekopps »

She was just about to begin another bout of heavy door knocking when the door in question suddenly and most unexpectantly edged open to reveal a weakly and sickly looking young man sporting a stiched up tunic caked in dried blood...

"HeeellOooo! Meelord of the Moooooogwire!" Magleen Hoddlekopps exclaimed in a relieved manner before quickly turning around to proclaim victoriously to her Sunese assisstant Lao'Mah, "AH! You see there, Lee Mee? I told you the young Laird wasn't dead." Turning back to face their assigned New Nobility Candidate she finally took in his appearance and groaned inwardly. Where does our Great and Mighty King Zuan find these poor wretches....

Lao'Mah recoiled at the smell of pickled herring that wafted out of Minister Hoddlekopps' mouth each time she turned to speak to her. "Hr'n shi dao'lam, ou'fan bae..." she muttered in Sunese as she took a step back. (Wash your mouth sour hag...)

"Aw, such a shy thing Li Mo is. Doesn't speak a word of the common tongue, you see. Only speaks Sunese. Refugees from the Kingdom's northward expansion. But oh, how they have excelled at their new roles in the Kingdom's clerical divisions. Just stupendous with figures and numbers. Thankfully, I took two semesters of Sunese in university." She turned and lean towards Lao'Mah and asked in a loud and patronizing way, "YOU... GOOD... WRITER?.... FE'THAM .. USU .. BO.. ??" (Writer... You.. Cowbladder?)

Lao'Mah stifled a gag as another waft of pickle breath poured into her face. She understood the common tongue perfectly. "aaaa..hee hee hee.. aa .. a-thanka-yoo... hee .. heee . hee..." she replied, always playing up her Foreign-ness. Under her breath she mutter, "T'sam d'ti 'd'ti baki... " (keep smiling pickle hag...)

Minister Hoddlekopps smiled fondly at her little assistant, "Aww.. so sweet they are.." Then returned her attention to the sorry looking sap before her. "I aaaam Minister Magleen Hoddlekopps ooooof the Royal Advisory Council fooor New Nobles." she made a slight curtsy. "Yooou Are a Baron now, yooou see.... Yooou Are aware ooof that, aren't yooou, Meelord?" Without waiting for a response she pressed forward, "Yes! Our Mooost Beniegn and Benevoooolent King, Zuan Winterborne! Ah! Hooow lucky yoooou must feel! To have basked in our High King's divine supremeacy..."

She snapped her fingers twice and waited as Lao'mah pulled out a portable portrait of King Zuan from her large carry bag. Magleen looked from the portrait and back Lord Bhenithius. "Well... go ooon then, praise His Majesty's Great Divinity already, we have a schedule to keep."
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Bhenithius supported himself by leaning against the door as this Royal Minister talked alot about stuff that only confused him. One thing that was plain clear was that this Lao'mah, the Minister's assistant, didn't like her boss very much. Bhen didn't know what to think. She seemed like a stern beaurcrat for sure. When she pulled out the portrait of the king and instructed him to praise his majesty's great divinity, Bhen brought his fist to his chest and proclaimed, "Long live the King!"

The Minister stared on expectantly and Bhenithius stared back blankly for a moment before suddenly getting the hint and struggled to his knees before the outstretched portrait of their King. Kneeling, he brought his fist to his chest again and proclaimed, "Long live the king!"

The Minister raised a brow and stared on expectantly. Bhenithius starred back blankly forba momment before suddenly getting the hint and leaned forward to kiss the portrait. Looking back to the Minister, he awaited her verdict.
Magleen_Hoddlekopps

"See now meelord, that wasn't soo haard noow was it?" Magleen Hoddlekopps questioned, her patience was wearing thin. There were schedules to keep and protocols to follow! She glanced to her Sunese assastant, Lao'Mah, "Luu Muu, shoow our young Laird here how easy it is. Go on, then!" he waved her hand towards the girl expectantly.

Lao'Mah turned the portrait around in her hands and with a big smile she kissed it repearedly and jumped on spot saying, "...aaaa.. hee hee me love big king hee hee .. oji shur shan mai'ni shu.. hee hee" (i'm going to choke you...)

Minister Magleen smiled big, her pronounced overbite becoming even more pronounced. "You see Meelaird? Simple minded the Sunese may be, but such a patriotic people they have become and soo hard working, from our guidance ooof course.... Admirable. Truly admirable."

Lao'Mah replaced the portrait in her carry bag muttering, "Hun ki'ko michan di..."(i spit in your cereal today.."

"Why Lin Min, it's not even noon! We shall see about lunch when the time comes, now think work!" Magleen exclaimed with sudden frustration as she look to the sky with clenched fists. Which was when she glanced the Agesarian crest carved into the stone above the door and set with colored stones.. A gold sun on an obsidian backing.

"Oh dear, first thing to add to the list Lah Nih..." Magleen shook her head and explained, "If yooou plan to keep this.... modest city abooooode, you just must remooove that outdated stone crest aboove your entryway!" The young lordling looked unhappy about the prospect. "Oh you musn't look sooo miserable, Meelaird! You have a New coast of arms, made tooo reflect your new status as a Baron of Fenia."

Minister Hoddlekopps turned to her assistant, Lao'Mah, "Lee Ny, Coat of Arms, dear! ES'I ... ANAB'I... I'JI..." (SWEATER ... OF ... HUGS)

Lao'Mah dug through her carry bag until she fetched out a rolled piece of artists paper and handed it to her boss, ".. nao bahai..."(pig fart..)

Magleen unrolled it and squinted at it through her large round spectacle. "Ah! yes, here it is, Meelaird. The twin Mountains of Mog have been added to the original gold sun on a field of obsidian. The Mountains of Mog being one of the prominent features of your new lands." she held it out to him.

Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Bhenithius hesitantly took the parchment from Minister Hoddlekopps and looked at the painted revision of his family's coat of arms. It was very similar to what he was used to; the black background and the seven point star of Saint Halia hanging in the air. Now two grey mountains stood in the foreground, tall and imposing. He had never heard of these Mountains of Mog, nor had he ever heard of this mountain shire barony before having been granted it by King Zuan. Baron of North Mogwire Shire. The thought was daunting.

"I-It is ..very nice, th-thank you minister," Bhen rasped out through his parched mouth.

His bed called to him, or even a chair would do. "Could we reschedule this ... uh.. Appointment? Meeting? Uh.. why have you come?"
Magleen_Hoddlekopps

A thin line formed out of her wormy lips. This young lord was not taking this seriously at all! The schedules!!! "Whyyyy Meeelaird!" Minister Magleen Hoddlekopps exclaimed loudly, her top teeth jutting out over her lower ones as she reeled indignantly, "Yooou deeed get the noooootice in your daily maill, did you nooooo?!" She looked his appearance over again. Simply pitiful! Bare footed, blood encrusted shirt, pale complexion... Such a charity case!! Think of the publicity, Maggy!!!

She looked down between them where a pile of uncollected mail, several days of it actually, sat piled hapzardly. Kicking around with the polished magenta toe of her shoe, she eventually unearthed a familiar sight. "Ahaa! Here weeee goe, Meelaird!" she waved Lao'Mah to do the bending part, and her little Sunese assistant rolled her eyes and collected the unopened letter, giving it to the Minister.

"You seeee heaa?" Magleen announced, holding the letter up before Lord Bhenithius with one hand, while tapping the purple seal upon the front. "Ooooooficial seal oof the Rooooyal Advisooory Cooooncil for Nuuuuu Nubility!" She held the letter out to him.
Bhenithius

Post by Bhenithius »

Leaning heavily against the door frame Bhenithius took on the letter and fumbled to crack the seal and read the contents...

"There's no date, and You didn't even put my name on it..." he commented, handing it back.
Magleen_Hoddlekopps

Minister Hoddlekopps glared down at the contents of the notice sent by her office, lacking little things like the date, name or place. "A shooooower of apuuuulogies, Meelaird!" she exclaimed loudly, taking the notice from young Lord Bhenithius' hand and waving it in the air theatrically. "An embuuuuuurasment of clerical error, I assuuuuuure you.."

Switching the notice from her right hand to her left, Minister Hoddlekopps suspended it inches in front of the face of her short assistant Lao'Mah, "Ling Ming! Are you not embarassed by your foolishnuss?! Apologies to the Laird oof the Mooogwire, this moment!"

The assistant looked to the long sharp tipped quill sticking up out of the little inkpot of her carryable writing tablet, briefly debating whether to bury it in the Minister's eye. Instead, she smiled big and covered her mouth as she giggled and excepted blame, even though it hadn't been her fault that the notice hadn't been filled out properly. "....aaa.. Hee hee... Me oh So So suurry, hee hee! .... bong'dalok mai'choi.." (one day soon Madam Cow..)

Slapping the notice down on Lao'Mah's tablet, the Minister patted it twice in a pleased manner and returned her attention to the young Lord. "There we haaave it, Meelaird, you see? A very apuulogetic girl she is. So she is.." A quick glance back at her assistant to give an overbitten smile, the Minister attempted to get things back on track. "Now back to the pooooint! This isn't abooot the little Sunese thing and her secretariaaaal aptitude, it's abooot You!" To make her point, she jabbed a finger into his shoulder twice.

"We are already..." looking down to her wrist, the Minister pulled back the heavy brown fur of her sleeve and starred at the time on her wrist-clock with surprise and panic as she shouted loudly, "Fifteeeeeen minutes behind our schedule!"