[ORP] Fenia University

This is where the Kingdom of Fenia's main Inn is.

Moderator: Community Team

Dwayberry

[ORP] Fenia University

Post by Dwayberry »

(In here there's room for everyone's university related rp ramblings)

The university librarian pursed her lips as soon as she recognised the dark haired woman coming up to her desk.
"From which book did your child rip the pages this time?!" The hissed whisper was so loud the old librarian should not have bothered to whisper in the first place.

Dwayberry raised an eyebrow. "None. Now, tell me where I can find again the..."

"Third corridor, second row, ninth shelf. Don't use Animal Husbandry books for a stair this time!"

"...the Basics of Cooking. Amusing how your attempts at mind reading and quick answering are all the more time consuming." Dwayberry grinned and the librarian's lips pursed now to the point they were completely devoid of colour. She impatiently pointed out the right direction and Dwayberry left to look for the books. At the last moment, she looked over her shoulder.
"By the way... I'm not paying this time. It's for a class. Take it up with the rector if you must..."

With that, Dwayberry left the library and went into a part of the university she visited only once, maybe twice before. The corridors were decorated with portraits of all rectors, past and present, the Fenia University ever had. They were all hung up high, their serious eyes staring down at, and in few occasions even following, any teacher or student walking the corridors.

Dwayberry was early, fortunately, or she would not have found her classroom in time before the students arrived. Just as she expected, the room was cold and dark. Small, dusty cauldrons sat over cold fireplaces next to equally dusty desks. Dwayberry grumbled and muttered to herself as she started fires in all of them. At least someone had remembered to leave a big enough supply of firewood.
"Good grief... what are they using my library fees on?"

She deposited a copy of the basic cook book on every student desk, not bothering to remove the dust first, before sitting down at her own. She opened the several desk drawers and rummaged through the items.
"Pen... ink... parchment," another drawer, "Worn down stick? Hm... and that is one big, awkwardly shaped spoon," another drawer, "Knives, spoons... what on earth is this?"
Dwayberry held up a potato masher and then, unable to figure out its function, shrugged and put it back in the drawer.

It looked like everything was prepared for the class. Dwayberry sat back and twiddled her thumbs, waiting for the students to arrive.
"It's alright, you wouldn't be the same if you were nice."
Nocturne

Re: [ORP] Fenia University

Post by Nocturne »

What use did he have for a cooking class? None at all, at the moment, but then, the teacher they'd hired was cute, so that was a bonus, and made it quite a good waste of time. Besides, she'd often dropped in to visit at his job. Thankfully, not in the manner of through the window at night, but that was another reason to randomly stop by and fill the class with puns. Where else should you bring flowers, but to await mention of flour, after all?

He slipped in through the shadows early remaining there and plotting on taking a seat inconspiciously in the back of the class, because wasn't that where all the good students sat? Far away as possible, because they needed less attention? He felt the moving of the shadows, some asking what a blacksmith was doing in a cooking class when he had other skills he should be working on. Few knew that he had really wanted to be a baker but had adjusted his plans because the event had a pressing need for a blacksmith, so he did that instead. Soon would come a time where he shifted gears, and preparation to cook was a very important cog in the wheels of his plan.

He watched Dairy Queen dawdling with bits and pieces of the ... sticks, wondering if he shouldn't hammer out some golden cookware. After all, the gold was doing little good to him sitting about in a lump when few people seemed to want golden rings or whatnot. Maybe that would be a good Love Day gift. A set of golden cookware-things that prodded things. Perhaps it would mesh well with the dagger he'd eaten. It was in pretty darn good condition now, and when William had completed his order, he'd regenerate it further and return it to her.

He watched her twiddling her thumbs, and slowly shadows coalesced in the 5th and final seat in the back. "So fancy meeting you here. There's something about this that was missing, so I figured I would show up on a whim. You're welcome," he grinned at her.
Dwayberry

Post by Dwayberry »

Dwayberry went from twiddling her thumbs to yawning as she waited for the students to show up. She started to think of what she would do should anyone arrive late. Maybe she would ask them to the front to explain the recipes they did not know to the whole class? Or let them peel potatoes while they are still hot. Oh yes, so many options...

She blinked when shadows formed into the shape of Nocturne - or rather the shape she knew him best in -
"Nocturne! What are you doing here, silly shadow man?" Dwayberry grinned and rushed over to give him a hug now there were no other students present yet anyway. "Did you really sign up for this class? What an insane waste of money," she continued in a whisper, "And arrogant, too. Perhaps I should take you to an unused classroom to explain how to behave in a university class, hm?" she winked and, hearing a knock on the door, moved back to the teachers' desk. "Now better behave or I'll put you in a seat in front. Your choice... Enter!"

Two more students entered, each with the inconspicuous demeanor of typical peasants, followed by a man Dwayberry had encountered before.
Almon Demonhunter of all people? She couldn't suppress a slight frown. What did he do here, was he hired by the university to see how she would be doing her job, or was he actually here to learn? Oh well, as long as he paid she could not send him away.

"Right, let's begin," Dwayberry indicated seats to the two hesitant peasant-like students and waited for all to be seated before standing up to her full 5'1 height herself.
"Today, we start with a basic pureed potato, otherwise known as 'mashed tater'," she took her bag and walked around the occupied desk, taking out and placing four potatoes on each desk before returning to her own.
Dwayberry took her dagger in one hand and a potato with the other. "Since none of you tried to bribe me with an apple or better fruit today, I shall give my first nod of approval to whoever of you finishes first with peeling all four. I will check that the peel is sufficiently thin and no pieces remain on the potato. Now let me demonstrate..." She began to peel the potato with her dagger.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

He laughs and squeezed Dway tightly. "Of course I did, my love. I have a secret aspiration to bake one day. Up front might actually..." He cut off the thought though at the arrival of another person to the class, and waved to DHSK. "Well hi there, figured I'd see you here as well as at the other with Her Grace Morghain. Good to see the university being well used nowadays."

Looking at the potato before he pondered what all this chopping was about. He picks up the dagger, luckily familiar enough with it, and mimics Dway a bit at first, gaining the understanding before eating the lot of them. He paused for a moment, remembering how many taters and mashed taters he's already eaten. Even ones the bakers had dirtied. Mmm, good lunches those were. Another positive for Dway in his book, knowing how to cook, and he pondered how well she would integrate metals into some of her dishes.

"So...what do we do when we're done?" He brought forth a wooden bowl, so not to have the potatoes peeled and just sitting on a desk, leaning back and having a strawberry with a heart carved on it sitting atop the potatoes for inspection. Because who brings apples to such a teacher?
Dwayberry

Post by Dwayberry »

Seeing Nocturne had not only finished first, but also left her a strawberry, Dwayberry nodded and even added a flattered smile "Show-off..." she whispered as she took the strawberry and put it in her pocket for later. She can't possibly properly enjoy the fruit while teaching. That would altogether be a different kind of class.

"When you're done," Dwayberry addressed all students again, "You will cut the potatoes in small, but mostly equal, pieces and put them in your couldron with boiling water. Why do the pieces need to be equal in size... you!" she pointed to one of the peasants.

The poor woman jumped being suddenly addressed. She probably incorrectly assumed Dwayberry would focus all her attention on the handsome shadow man, what a foolish mistake.
"Eh... ehm... well, because equal pieces, eh, make it taste better?"

"Not entirely incorrect. Equal pieces will cause all potato to cook equally fast, so all pieces are done at the same time. If the pieces differ too much in size, some will be mush while others are still raw. And if you mash that together, you'll get a very bad... bad mashed potato!"

Dwayberry returned to her desk to cut and cook her own potatoes. She watched over the students too, but not much could go wrong at this stage of the process. Save for the other peasant trying to check how far his potatoes were by sticking his fingers into hot water, idiot.

"All done?" she asked after her own potatoes were sufficiently mushy. "Now, pour off the water and add the cold milk. It's time for the final phase, the actual mashing of the potatoes."
Dwayberry put her couldron on the floor and then took off her shoes and socks.
"When ready, follow my example," she lifted her feet over the couldron, then stamped down hard, squishing the warm potatoes, under her feet and in between her toes, mixing them with the milk.
Nocturne

Post by Nocturne »

Noct returned the smile, amused at her putting in her pocket instead. He might have to teach that other class later. The smile remained as the professor then set about tormenting one of the students about chopping potatoes into exact sizes. She could be rather cute when she got on her little soapbox and fussed about things particularly. He raised a brow at the man dipping his finger into the boiling water, but shrugged. If the peasants joined the class in hopes of being cooked, he supposed that was their own choice.

Fingers extended into talons as he moved the potatoes about in the bowl, cutting them horizontally then vertically, and repeating the process until they were small enough to appease his own sense of symmetry and tastes for things. After all, the plating of a dish was equally important to the dish itself. But then, so was the usefulness of the plate material in his own book. He supposed that wouldn't make much sense to most people, so he probably would hold off on getting the parchment together to form a cookbook.

He raised a brow at such an odd method. He thought mortals typically acted all big on health and such, but in this case, the fibers of the sock and other things did not seem to be part of the ingredients, nor did washing the feet. Interesting. Perhaps that was how Camelia kept ending up with arsenic on her stork bones and things like that. Shrugging, he discarded his thoughts and followed suit. After all, he was here to learn currently, and would later analyze other aspects that he might adjust for his own style later.

Slipping off his socks and shoes, he reached into the pot to absorb the hot water, thinking that could be quite useful later. That left a scaldingly hot pot to pour some cold milk in, and then step on. A part of him seemed to understand where at least some of Dway's resilience in battle came from...And then, he did the same, amused as it reminded him of winemaking, that or when taloned, ripping out the entrails of fish.