Avalon (Calysta's Home)

Moderator: Community Team

Calysta

Avalon (Calysta's Home)

Post by Calysta »

Calysta’s real home was her Vardo, but it stayed with the Caravan. For Widu, she had lived in her bakery…. until it burned down. Now she needed to rebuild her bakery, and Calysta would not make the same mistake twice of living above her bakery. This time, she set out to buy a separate home, which would undoubtedly be safer as long as she didn’t practice black magic there.

This being her first time shopping for a Gaje home, Calysta didn’t know what quite to expect.

The first house she came upon was not a home, but a dump heap. It was dilapidated and mildewy. She walked inside anyway just to get an idea of the place. There wasn’t actually much to see. Just paint chipping off the walls. Calysta walked out and shut the door. Or attempted to. The door fell off its hinges. Oh well.

The second house she came upon looked like a palace. It was humongous. Calysta walked in with much anticipation. As she stepped, she could hear an echo from her step in the house with vaulted ceilings. “Hello!” she called out just to hear another echo. “Hellloooo” the house called back to her. Calysta walked up the steps to the second floor. And she walked up the steps to the third floor. And she walked up the steps to the fourth floor. Calysta was tired by the time she’d seen the house. It took so long to get from one end to another. After viewing the entire house, she realized it was time to leave before it got dark. So Calysta left. Or attempted to. She walked and walked and walked. She still wasn’t out of the house. Calysta walked some more. And some more. And some more. Finally she was out of the house.

Calysta decided this house wasn’t for her either.

The next day, Calysta resumed her search with a little less eagerness than the day before, having been disappointed twice already. She decided to consult the fortune teller in a nearby caravan.
Your Question: Will I easily find my house today?
Answer: It is certain
Motivated by the Traveller’s good omen, Calysta traipsed over to look at waterfront properties.

The third little cottage was bright and cheerful. Calysta walked in and found it was comfy and cozy. Everything was clean, well-kempt and easy to access. Not to mention the wonderful location near the water. Calysta said, “This house is juuuusssstttt right!” And so she bought it.

Last edited by Calysta on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bridget

Re: Avalon (Calysta's Home)

Post by Bridget »

It finally felt like spring! After several long weeks of being cooped up in her office, Bridget was feeling antsy and in need of fresh air. It had been raining all day, so when the clouds broke she took advantage of the opportunity and headed out for a quick walk.

Lost in thought, Bridget ended up further from town centre than she’d planned. It had been some time since she’d walked along the waterfront. As she stopped to admire the view, the clouds returned once again and rain began to fall. Just lightly at first, but looking up at the sky Bridget could tell that she would be soaked to the bone if she didn’t find shelter soon.

It was then that she remembered that Calysta had purchased a cottage nearby. Searching her memories for the address, she made her way along the water until she found the one she knew belonged to her friend. Bridget grinned, even if the deed to the land hadn't crossed her desk, she'd know in a second who lived her. This property was exactly the place she envisioned for the siren. As she approached the door, she realized that not only was she calling upon Calysta unannounced, she also didn’t have a housewarming gift. Bridget frowned and sighed before an idea popped into her head. Yes, that’s just the thing…, she smiled to herself.

Bridget knocked on the door and waited. At least if Calysta wasn’t home, the entrance way was sheltered enough to provide some cover from the rain.
Thank you, Aishe!
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

This was the second spring Calysta was experiencing, and she was starting to get the hang of it. Spring would start off chilly and warm up, then it would rain and be chilly once more until the weather warmed up again. It would repeat the cycle, but progressively get warmer and warmer until summer came. This was one of those warm days. Until the rain came. Calysta figured it wouldn't be long until a chill set in, so she lit a fire inside her cottage.

With a fire, she could probably bake all sorts of things, but recalling the last accident at her bakery, Calysta considered things carefully. To be honest with herself, she wasn't actually baking when the fire happened. And if a fire was to burn down the cottage, it had already been started and would matter little how she used it. As Calysta was considering the fate of her new home and whether it would burn down too when something pulled her back to reality.

Calysta heard a knock at the door. That must've been what broke her concentration. Calysta was thinking about that knock when she realized the polite thing to do was answer the door. 'I must really be out of it today,' Calysta wondered what was wrong with herself that she just couldn't get it together.

Calysta hurried over to the door and hoped whoever it was hadn't been waiting long. She looked out the window and quickly opened the door when she saw it was Bridget on her porch, "Come in, Come in!" Calysta beckoned while stepping out of the way for Bridget to enter. "You'll catch a cold out there."

Calysta remembered she'd forgotten to give salutations, "Good Afternoon, Bridget!" The siren gave a genuine smile. "I sure wasn't expecting you, but I'm very glad to have you stop by. You're my visitor!" Calysta offered Bridget a hug, "How are you doing?"
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget smiled as Calysta ushered her inside her home. She hugged her back, “Forgive me for dropping in unannounced. I usually have much better manners than this.” Bridget chuckled as she continued, “I was out for a walk and wandered a little further than I’d intended when the rain started up again. When I’m out in nature, I always seem to get so lost in thought. I never know where I’ll end up!”

Bridget looked around the room. The crackling fire looked very inviting. “Your home is lovely! I feel terrible for not bringing a housewarming gift, but I had a thought if you’re interested…” Bridget trailed off, grinning at her friend.
Thank you, Aishe!
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

After giving Bridget a hug, Calysta closed the door and gestured for Bridget to sit wherever she preferred.

The front door opened directly into the living room, which housed the fireplace. Besides housing the fireplace, there was a rug, which was burgundy and tan with pink roses, in the center of the room. A vase sat on a small cherry-wood table. Inside the vase were little yellow dandelions as Calysta hadn't the slightest clue that humans considered them to be weeds. Next to the table and directly across from the hearth was a sofa which had a yellow blanket draped over it to match the flowers. On either side of the sofa, were two chairs situated, so that the sofa and chairs formed a U with the hearth as the centerpiece of the room.

Calysta listened with interest as Bridget recounted how she'd arrived at Calysta's doorstep. "Oh, then I should thank the rain for your visit! I hope you'll come by often now that you know how to find me."

Calysta beamed with great satisfaction as Bridget complimented her home, "Thank you so much. It's my first home and my first attempt at interior decorating."

Calysta waved her hands in the air, crossing them in the negative to indicate a housewarming gift wasn't necessary, "Your presence here is gift enough." Calysta smiled warmly to her dear friend Bridget.

However, when Bridget mentioned having a thought, Calysta leaned forward. As a siren she was naturally curious and Bridget just had to trail off at the right time to pique Calysta's curiosity. "But what was the thought?!" Calysta just had to know and nodded her head ardently in agreement that they must do whatever it was.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget chuckled. She knew that Calysta was very curious by nature, so she let the suspense hang in the air a moment before continuing, "As you probably know, I'm going to start living in the caravan full time. I spent so many years living in solitude and now I find that I just want to be surrounded by my family as much as I can." Bridget slid onto the couch across from the fireplace, not waiting to be invited. She hoped Calysta wouldn't mind her making herself at home.

"I'm not sure if you've seen my garden at the cottage? Tending it was my life and my love." Bridget looked down at her feet and smiled to herself. Gardening was how she survived when she first came to Widu. Her garden was the place she went to think or completely free her mind. Her sanctuary. It was truly the only thing holding her back from officially moving to the caravan. Bridget looked up at Calysta and smiled, "I know how you love to train and duel. I have many plants that I use to help heal everything from minor wounds and infections, to sore muscles. I saw a perfect little spot just to the side of your home that would make a perfect garden.... If you'll let me, I'd like to transplant some of my herbs here for you to use. I will tend them and teach you how to use them." Bridget thought for a moment. "It would mean a lot to me to know that there's a small piece of my work, and my life, still growing and thriving here in Widu."
Thank you, Aishe!
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

Calysta agreed to let Bridget bring some of the herbs over. Unfortunately, Calysta was not very good at the plant business. Mostly because she didn't like getting her hands dirty for anything, so touching soil was not high on her list of things to do. Even so, Calysta loved Bridget and loved the idea of having some of Bridget's herbs at her house. She wanted to always have Bridget near her. With that in mind, she agreed on the planting, and once the plants were in place, the hardest part (for Calysta at least) was over.

Calysta had no qualms about watering the plants. In fact, that was a very enjoyable past time for her, and she watered them regularly. Even after Calysta moved into the Castle, she would still come back to Avalon to clean the house and water the plants. The house looked pretty as a picture - even more so because Bridget's plants were there. Calysta wondered if she could ask Bridget to plant some herbs near the Castle too.
Grazilda

Post by Grazilda »

Grazilda found it a waste to send a Dalakoi guard to send a message to just one person in Widu. Maximizing the travel, she requested the guard who went to Teide's shop to also send something to Calysta's.

From Teide's workshop, the guard proceeded to Calysta's workshop to bring a package and a letter from Grazilda.
Calysta,

Thank you so much for everything that you've done. I may be in another town, but you know that you can always count on me.

I know you are busy, so I bought some goodies, as I'm not a baker, for you that will keep you full while working. I hope that the guard did not grab some of it as the cookies smelled good when I bought them fresh from the oven.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Grazilda
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

It had been a while since Calysta had slept in her cottage as she had been on a trip to Old Kiene. Calysta was tired, but went ahead and put away her luggage. In the process of this, she had a knock on the door. Calysta opened it.

There the guard sent by Grazilda stood on her doorstep. Calysta accepted his letter and package and thanked him.

Calysta read Grazilda's letter and wondered how she timed the package so perfectly with Calysta's arrival home. 'Man, Grazilda's good.' Calysta marveled.

Calysta savored her cookie.

"Mmmm."
Calysta

Post by Calysta »

Calysta had recently received a letter from Lady Myst. She was surprised to hear that Myst had been placed on council unexpectedly and without warning. Fortunately, Myst was willing to serve. That was just the type person Myst was - Kind & Caring.

Calysta went into her garden and cut 12 long-stemmed roses for Myst as a thank you. She took the roses with her back to the army camp where she would give them to Myst along with a nice warm meal to show her appreciation.