[CRP] Fragments of the Phoenix

Moderator: Community Team

Krail

Re: [CRP] Fragments of the Phoenix

Post by Krail »

It was a shame that they had to part ways but the day had ended, he was thankful he had spent it with his daughter and planned on making such outings more regular and maybe eventually meet Theo. They had pushed through several patrons and were about to leave when a thick peasant built for plowing feilds slammed the door shut.
"Oi you tweed yearing batarr ...where you tink you goin' !"
Karcier frowned and looked up at the man with a faint smile "Who me ?"
"No the other scatter brain !" he replied
Something in karcier snapped, he twitched slightly "What did you call me ?"
"I called you scatter br.." before he could finish Alexise swung at the man, the hit connected and much to Karciers surprise the big man fell with a loud thud.
"Let me teach bozzo here a lesson in manners dad" she said flicking her fists, there was a spark in her eyes something that he'd seen in himself. He frowned slightly at the thought of her fighting but he knew better, trying to stop her would be as fruitless as somone trying to stop him.
"Don't kill him" he said as he stepped out of the way.
Alexise

Post by Alexise »

Like father like daughter

She raised her arms up in a defensive manner, fists clenched tightly letting her phoenix powers slowly seep into her fist. Watching as the peasant rose from the ground with a red hot patch on his cheek, she hadn't realized how tall he was until now ."What'cha say to me you pink headed pish?!" the peasant flexed his arms, a scare tactic Alexise thought and dismissed with a simple shrug" You think your tough stuff don't cha girl, lucky hit nothin' else !"

Alexise looked down at her dad then back up at the Peasant. "No, I think I'm done being nice. I think...I'll feed you your teeth !"

The bar erupted in a loud cheer as drunkards and women circled around them, some seemed to bet on whom would win or how long it would last whilst the bar man watched crossed armed. There wasn't a single person at a seat, most were standing at the circle or standing on tables trying to get a clear view. Alexise shook her head with a faint smile as she fell into a fighting stance, the peasant however simply charged in catching Alexise wided eyed in surprise. His arms wrapped around her waist, lifting her and slamming her into the bar. Alexise screamed in pain but after a few seconds she moved her hand over the peasants face and began to dig her fingers into the mans eyes. The peasant howled, red faced and removed his hold on her waist to try and stop her attack on his eyes.

She smiled, that gave Alexise enough leverage to wiggle up and using her free hand grab the shoulder of the peasant and use that to enact a precise headbutt in the face. Her pinkish red hair flew in all directions blinding her for amoment but she knew the peasant had stumbled back as she found herself slipping back down to the floor.

The crowd cheered loudly, all demanding for one or the other to tear his head off or to not give up. Don't get into a fight...well that was a failure.Alexise followed up her headbutt with a few more punches to the face which sent the Peasant staggering backwards with each hit however her hits were short lived as one was caught and she suffered an instant back hand which sent her spiralling into the nearest table. Another cheer from the crowd, Alexise slammed her fists on the table and grabbed a mug, she sensed the peasant moving behind her and swiftly turned on her feet and slammed the mug into the peasants face, she let go of the handle and kicked the peasants left leg in, he fell to his knees screaming in agony then was swiftly silenced when Alexise slammed a bottle across his temple. "Tag your it !" she said and tossed the broken bottle aside.

She smiled victorious and raised her hands in the air to the cheer of the patrons, another peasant dragged his knocked out friend out whilst Alexise reveled in his minor victory. She felt even prouder when she saw her dad grinning and clapping his hands. This was a good day, a very good day.
Krail

Post by Krail »

The day had risen as it always did, warm rays stroking the frosty country side leaving mist in its path. While peasants and citizens began their days of work, Karcier was walking to the old abandoned tavern he'd spotted earlier in the week. It wasn't a long trek which he was glad for but the mist stuck to him and left him feeling like he'd just escaped from an icy lake.

It was more a nuisance than anything else, the cold was as much an enemy as heat but it caused finger tips to grow numb and feet to go blue leaving it very difficult to do anything with those now frozen body parts. He arrive an hour later, hands in pockets and cloak wrapped rightly. He quietly walked over to a window which had a faint layer of mist, he wiped away some of it and peered in. He saw nothing of interest aside from cobwebs, old furniture and dust but if there was someone in their they might be hiding in the shadows. He moved away and headed to the door, ear carefully up against the door to listen, no noise.

He tested the handle, it wasn't locked. So he pushed it open, as he took his first steps into the tavern he heard a click before he realized the mistake he'd made but had no time to react...

((Alder has permission to god mod whatever trap he's just walked into and what happens to karcier ))
Silence

Post by Silence »

The first one didn't do anything... After all, it could be Reaver coming home. All that happened was that all the beetles placed around the tavern were immediately woken up and put on alert. A description of the intruder was sent to the hive, who immediately...

It was too early in the morning for this stuff. Youken, the hive, turned over on his rafter where he was sleeping when it fully registered what had just happened. An intruder... Somebody had just walked into this old place in the middle of nowhere.

It was then that he sat up and began listening to the chatter if the beetles. The man was just through the door, and was not Reaver. In fact, it was Karcier... What was he doing... Ok, the options were:

He had stumbled into this place at random

He was searching for Alder and had heard that the young man sometimes spent time around here

He was after that bottle of that thing's blood... The one that he and Reaver had killed, at first, Reaver had taken some blood for who knows what reason, then taken the blood with him. Youken had then gone back to the crypt to get more blood so as to experiment on what poisons could affect that thing. Regardless, there was a connection between Karcier and that thing.

Or it could be something not yet considered... Best to err on the side of caution and find out.

Alder's form was no good here. Best to try something more... Well, something that would cause a disturbance. Youken was far too bruised from his outing a little while ago to fight, but Karcier was in his territory now, and what's more, when not in the arena, he only had to land one hit and then poisons could do the rest. The first hit could be landed from behind or before the enemy realised he wasn't a friend.

Plus, here, Karcier was in his web. He had rigged the whole tavern, being the paranoid he was. Reaver had told him to work on the place, that was what he had done.

"Dad? How did you find my secret lair?"

Youken approached from behind. Two forms he knew of could make this man hesitate. One of them, he'd seen for long enough to mimic perfectly... Spending half an hour speaking one to one with a person was more than enough for him to be able to copy them all but perfectly.

To Karcier, the person approaching him was Alexise. The way she walked, stood, distributed her weight, her facial expression, her tone of voice, the way she flicked her hair out of her eyes, every small mannerism that made her her to those who knew her, the changeling had noted and was now copying. The form, when compared to that feat, was child's play. Having Munay really did have its advantages. He could even hide his burns and bruises without too much trouble, and reshaping his clothes was not difficult either when he could have beetles unweave them and then form new clothes.

The only thing to give him away were his eyes, which were still green and despite his making them closer, so that they looked turquoise, he couldn't get them blue without lenses... If he had been prepared, he would have brought those, but he was caught a little off guard here.

Oh well, the place was dimly lit, so even if for some reason Karcier decided to check his eye color (and who the hell checks the eye colour of people they meet without reason?), it was likely that it would just look dark blue green, a color which could easily be blue, just obscured by a shadow.

If he had to keep the act up for long, it would fail as his lack if knowledge of Alexise would trip him up... But he just had to learn what Karcier was doing, and maybe prick him.

Alexise looked expectantly at her father, hand on hip and a look somewhere between impatient and happy on her face.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you again, but what are you doing here?"
Krail

Post by Krail »

He flinched but nothing happened, he'd expected a pit full of spikes or a barrel tumbling on him instead silence. The familliar voice caught him by surprise, she shouldn't be here. Instinctily his hands lowered to his rapier and daggers hilt, both holding onto them loosely as he turned around. It confused him for a few seconds but he only showed it for a few moments, how was Alexise here he wondered. He remained on his guard, cursing the dim lighting in the tavern but it looked like her and sounded but if it was her why did he feel so empty. The joy he'd felt yesterday wasn't there only the mere scratching feeling that something was wrong.

"Ah, how unexpected dear. How did you get here so fast ?" he paused and narrowed his eyes to look at her but couldn't make out any details, so he took one step back. "Your missing one of tiedes lessons.." he said with some hint of disappointment, he knew which lesson she was meant to be in and so would she teide had a very strict set up when it came to Alexises upbringing. "What lesson are you missing again ?"

He wondered if this could be Jenova, old documents he'd found had hinted that she could morph into other beings. The compass had been glowing last he checked and that meant that she was nearby or at least something of hers, he kept a watchful eye on her but he knew he was in a difficult spot. The click had been some kind of warning or alert he speculated as the minute it happened she appeared, so no doubt other traps lay in wait. "Well ?" his grip on his dagger tightened.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Lessons... this was a test... ok, he needed names and information. As it happened, he had beetles around Teide... not in her home though, she didn't trust him that much. Damn, he didn't know.

Already? Karcier was suspicious that quickly? Damn, guess the legends about this guy hadn't overplayed him. Alright, improvise.

"No no dad, you're the one who's not supposed to be here right now... well, Tweedy would say that I shouldn't be here either, but I already know all the stuff she's trying to teach Theo. The way the interrogation game works is that I ask the questions and then you act like you don't want to answer them, then I cleverly trick you into giving the information anyway. You are playing, right?"

"What's with the hand on the dagger anyway. Somebody as slow as you couldn't catch me even if you wanted to unless I let you. You said it yourself, you can't run as fast as I can fly I think. Now, can I be the one who's doing the interrogating?"

He, she, whatever the changeling counted as right now, stepped towards Karcier with an expression that was probably meant to be intimidating, but looked more like it was just happy and playful.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my secret lair!?"

He of course noticed the grip on the dagger, but Karcier wouldn't strike his own daughter would he? He wouldn't take that chance, right? And if he did, Youken had a sense for danger, and would immediately turn and run the moment it flared up. As soon as he was around the corner into one of the back rooms, he could start moving things around in the tavern. After all, the place was wired so that he could control most of the traps from anywhere with the beetles he had left around the place.

Hopefully that wouldn't be necessary. If Karcier decided to 'play', this might be resolved without conflict. If he continued to be elusive, he just had to get close enough to him to prick him during a moment that he wasn't watching... such as a blink. Then he just had to run and wait for the drug to work while he eluded the phoenix.

Hell's teeth, this was not going to be easy. Karcier was far better than he was and the only advantage he had was the traps around the place and the advantage of surprise, which he was rapidly losing.

Of course, none of his inner thoughts showed on the facade as Youken approached Karcier. He had done this enough times to learn how to hide everything and become the role.
Krail

Post by Krail »

"Well don't you lack manners" Karcier narrowed his eyes further, this wasn't right. None of it was, the empty feeling inside of him and the way she avoided his question. He drew his rapier and pointed it at Alexise, he remained calm. It felt wrong, it looked like her but something inside of him told him otherwise. He was even more surprised when she started asking strange questions like who are you. That was it, it wasn't her.

"You avoided the question, lack manners but I applaud you on your skill but you can't copy the bond me and my daughter have...so you have that working against you that and this decrepit place...my daughter doesn't like being alone but you have guts." he said with a smile, . "I'll cut to the chase as I grow tired of this. Tiede gave me a fancy compass that is helping me track my prey. It has led me here...and the question is are you my prey. This is why I'm suspcious of you faceless one...its too convenient. Are you Jenova ?" he said raising the Rapier at neck height and drawing the dagger which tiede and blackened with her blood. "If so you probably won't like this" he said. "So better you be a nice girl and answer my questions." he said "You might look like her, have her habits down to the smallest of detail but you lack the distinct quirks when she is with me...call it a fathers intuition."

He wasn't feeling too lucky not in this enviroment, it was too unfamillair and traps could easily be set up everywhere. If it came to it, he'd use one of the runes in his pocket to fire a blast of ice at the door to shatter it off its hinges and allow him to be in the outside of the tavern. He lacked any heavy duty runes to burn the place down but he did know how to make a fire without the use of magic runes.

"I lack the time to play, so answer faceless one."
Silence

Post by Silence »

Was the answer true? Yes, it was... he wasn't bluffing. The changeling could read that from his expression. He was also deadly serious about attacking if he didn't answer. Well, he'd found out what he was trying to find out. The question was, did he turn and run, or did he cooperate?

The answer was obvious... he could use all the help he could get against Jenova. He wasn't going to turn this opportunity away.

"Well... Jenova's a female and ah... well, I'm actually not... I hate doing girls, always feels wrong... itches I guess would be the best way to explain it... a bit like wearing clothes that are the wrong shape. You'll have to forgive me if I don't tell you who I am, but most people don't much like us shapeshifters... making a life as one is not easy, and as much as I'm sure you're ok with that sort of thing, that's the sort of person you are, the fewer people know the form I'm using right now, the better."

"So you were here for the bottle eh? Well, sure, I can show yeh- you... damn... never mind... err... I can show you what your looking for. I already got given the task of taking down Jenova, so if you're on my side, sure, I'll cooperate and all. Wait here, I'll go get it. You're in the wrong place, and there isn't really anything for you here, but I might be able to help you."

Youken turned and scampered off without waiting to hear a reply. The moment he was out of sight, he assumed a more comfortable form, that of a changeling's base form, a bleached white creature with next to no facial features, two slits for a nose, holes in the side of its head for ears, bleached white hair and with small leathery wings and a tail made of a similar substance.

He grabbed the bottle, then turned around to go back to Karcier.

"Look, it's this. Same thing, by the way, but this form at least fits. Anyway, this is some of Jenova's blood. I went and collected some of it after the witcher went and left. He didn't know that we'd only done half of the job then of course. I wanted to figure out which poisons would work on her. See, Teide got me teh- to go and try and stand up to her too... only she went and left Widu. After that, I couldn't really follow her... I had my own problems and stuff, plus, when I last tried, I got kicked around the arena, so I figured that I'd better get stronger fairly quick if I'm going to stand up to- never mind, you're here now, so I don't need to."

"Look, you probably have a load of questions, and I can probably answer most of em, just... I've given it away already haven't I? Ah, teh hell with it... I've mucked up in the way I've been speaking anyway."

Youken took Alder's form again.

"Might as well speed up the inevitable dancin around, you askin who I am, me avoidin it and all... tell anybody, and you can be damn sure that at some point somebody on the street's gonna prick you with a poisoned knife. Next time I won't make the mistake of using somebody yeh know."

"Anyway, yer in a tavern that used teh be owned by a witcher by name of Reaver. He left it teh me teh keep it in some kind of order... I did the place up. Yeh should of seen it before, it wasn't even safe. Anyway, yeh might wanna take a seat and get any questions out of the way first. But more or less, it boils down teh that I know where Jenova is, unless she's tricked me real good, and I know some of what she did before leaving Widu... oh, and I've got a few poisons that work on her... well, like a hundred times more that don't, but that's beside the point."

Youken took a coin from his pocket to fiddle with as he also returned his clothes to their usual shape.
Krail

Post by Krail »

Karcier frowned, he knew full well what Jenova was but calling her a female was far from right. He listened to the creature, it was fasinating to say the least. A changeling was like a chameleon he remembered, able to hide in place sight per say, the perfect spy to some degree but it didn't mean he liked them either and this one had made the mistake of imitating his daughter. "I don't care what you are however don't imitate anyone from my family." he said in a warning tone, he straightened himself and sheathed both rapier and dagger. The creature spoke for a few moments then skampered off only to return as a white like humaniod devoid of detail. Karcier raised an eyebrow at the bottle, he took out the compass and put it close to it. It glowed brightly, Karcier didn't say anything he simply sighed and shook his head a dead end.

"Interesting, Tiede knew more of her. I suppose she had her reasons for not letting me know further." he sighed and shrugged. "Unfortunatly I am not seeking a bottle I'm seeking Jenova, she left some of her blood in some ruins I found and she has a relic that was meant to have been their. I don't exactly need to kill her but if she refuses I won't shed a tear" he said casually, this was the darker side of karcier. Past the madness was a cruel and practical man but there was so much more to him.

Then the creature morphed almost seemlessly, karcier eyes showed some surprise. "Alder ?" he said surprised "Oh, why didn't you say it was you !" he was tempted to slap the kid on the shoulder "Stupid boy I could of killed you !" he chuckled as the boy gave him his own warning and politely he nodded back "But of course, tell me. You do know phoenixes heal from the ashes don't you. I mean you are giving such a warning to someone who's died technically 4 times" he winks.

"Mr Reaver ?" he said curiously "I met him, he dropped by my estate up in the north of widu during some heavy rainfall. Lovely chap if a little short on words, no wonder he keeps travelling if this was his ...home" he says looking around the old tavern " As I said, I'm seeking her out. She has something of mine and I want it back, typically she is my prey until I get what I am seeking..if she doesn't play then I'm more then happy to try and kill her...I do have some nasty memories of a Novajen.." he shudders at the thought of parasites.

Karcier took a few moments to consider how to display the rest of his quest to Alder. "As I said earlier, I found a ruin of interest and upon inspecting it found that a certain key had been taken and some blue blood scattered around. Tiede has access to the ruin so you need not concern yourself with that, what I'm after is the key that was meant to be there. I suspect Jenova has the key, to what it leads however I'm unsure but thats part of the adventure!" he paused for a moment, not wanting to take a seat incase it was a trap. "So our paths are somewhat aligned, you seek Jenova to eliminate her and I seek her out to get something that I desire..if she doesn't play nice we can deal with her. You the elusive changeling and I the Cei'ra Legend" he chuckles. "Any questions ?"
Silence

Post by Silence »

Karicer_aisu wrote:Then the creature morphed almost seemlessly, karcier eyes showed some surprise. "Alder ?" he said surprised "Oh, why didn't you say it was you !" he was tempted to slap the kid on the shoulder "Stupid boy I could of killed you !" he chuckled as the boy gave him his own warning and politely he nodded back "But of course, tell me. You do know phoenixes heal from the ashes don't you. I mean you are giving such a warning to someone who's died technically 4 times" he winks.
"Well I sure as hell didn't know that you were here for this... for all I knew, you were here to burn the place down and anybody inside it... after all, not many people would have any reason teh be here... that's just plain not fair, that is... well, I'll err... burn down the uni library? No, can't do that, not after I put so much work inteh the place... I'll errm... err... be very upset with you and think of something if this ever becomes a problem."
Karicer_aisu wrote: "Mr Reaver ?" he said curiously "I met him, he dropped by my estate up in the north of widu during some heavy rainfall. Lovely chap if a little short on words, no wonder he keeps travelling if this was his ...home" he says looking around the old tavern " As I said, I'm seeking her out. She has something of mine and I want it back, typically she is my prey until I get what I am seeking..if she doesn't play then I'm more then happy to try and kill her...I do have some nasty memories of a Novajen.." he shudders at the thought of parasites.
"Wait, he was here? When? And why was he- ah, don't suppose it matters... annoyed as hell that he didn't at least let me know he was around though... ah well."
Karicer_aisu wrote:Karcier took a few moments to consider how to display the rest of his quest to Alder. "As I said earlier, I found a ruin of interest and upon inspecting it found that a certain key had been taken and some blue blood scattered around. Tiede has access to the ruin so you need not concern yourself with that, what I'm after is the key that was meant to be there. I suspect Jenova has the key, to what it leads however I'm unsure but thats part of the adventure!" he paused for a moment, not wanting to take a seat incase it was a trap. "So our paths are somewhat aligned, you seek Jenova to eliminate her and I seek her out to get something that I desire..if she doesn't play nice we can deal with her. You the elusive changeling and I the Cei'ra Legend" he chuckles. "Any questions ?"
"Alright, sounds good teh me... when do we leave? I mean, I got a direction... man, you accepted this a lot quicker than most people do... shouldn't be surprised I guess... you're you."

"Anyway, a few things yeh should know." Youken handed a few vials of drugs which could affect Novajen to Karcier. Technically, none of them did much to her, but they would slow her reflexes. They dulled the connections between the parasite and the host. That was the best he had been able to do. "Firstly, I can take yeh teh Novajen or Jenova or whatever it's callin itself right now... but I don't think I can trick it. It kinda knows what I am. I'm kinda like it too, see? I mean, hivemind thing that pulls all of the little minds inteh one big one. But anyway, I planted a few of my little things on her a while ago, and one of em's still alive. Just been too busy teh follow it up, and had no idea what I'd do when I got there anyway. Figured I'd better prepare better... anyway, you're here now, so don't need teh worry about that."

"Second thing is, I know a lot of stuff that you probably don't if you came here lookin for the parasite thingy. I can fill yeh in on the road though."

"Third thing... well, I like you Karc, but there's a problem... why are you after this key? I mean, why do both you and the parasite want it? What are you going to do with it? Cause if my hunch is right, this has somethin teh do with one of the fallen mages, don't it? And as yer friend, I should probably tell yeh that I don't much like most of them, so that might be a problem later."

"Otherwise, I ain't as good in a fight as you are, but I can hold my own... mostly though, I'm just real good at workin my way around problems, not through em... I already know what you can do, so we should be fine on the whole teamwork front... we're both kinda lacking in magic. I think you use runes, I can muck around with force... err... ah, teh hell with it."

"If I tell you what I know about what we're up against, you do the same, ok? I mean, you probably know more than I do, but I can tell yeh what it's been doin up until a few months ago. After that, I just know where it went."

Yes, he had other questions, like what the chances were of him being betrayed if it would help Karcier's goal, but he didn't want to ask them directly. He'd figure that out in time... hopefully before it was too late.

"I guess I also wanna know about what happened teh Reaver, but that ain't important right now, right?"

((This bit following was edited in, sorry if you missed it on first read through))

"Oh yeah, when this is over, tell yer daughter not teh go beating up the brothers of crime lords in the same day she goes and ties his contact in the markets teh a flag pole. The amount of work I had teh do sorting that one out ain't even worth thinkin about. I mean, he was livid... I had teh go talk teh him for a good hour teh convince him that sending people after a little girl would look bad when they failed teh get through Teide's defences... so I told em that I'd go and find the girl for em... show the other crime bosses in the area that they aren't a push over. Of course, they are, or I wouldn't have em under my thumb... anyway, I went and gave the condition that I'd get her memory changed afterwards so she didn't know what happened, so it didn't look like he was just a playground bully who caves in whenever his weak brother gets hurt. So she wouldn't seem weird when she don't know about it... spendin the night in her form gettin beat up was not fun, but if I'd ignored this, it woulda gotten rid of all the work I've done on em already... yeh know, makin sure that they trust me enough that I can tell em where not teh strike so they don't get caught... means I can keep em in check teh some extent..."

"Anyway, please don't let her go do that again... if I have teh clean up after her again, I ah... well, this is another time where all I can say is that I'll be real disappointed... but, you've been warned."