[ORP] Encounter with the Departed (Widu Version)

Moderator: Community Team

Madeliefie
Location: I've got one hand in your pocket and the other one is giving a peace sign.

Re: [ORP] Encounter with the Departed (Widu Version)

Post by Madeliefie »

"Carrots and bananas in bread? I should like to try that."
She was acutely aware of the coins in her pocket. She regretted taking them now. She should have waited and thought things through but then impatience had always been one of her faults.
Either the girl knew she had them and this was a trap, or she was genuinely disingenuous and only being friendly.
Either way taking the coins was a mistake. One should never steal from friends or from those who might set traps.
Her mind was whirling. Madeliefie stood and slowly moved back towards the horse. Perhaps this presented an opportunity.
Karina

Post by Karina »

"Good. I'll make some for next time."

Karina stands up and begins moving towards the horse with the plate of carrot bread.
She makes knickering sounds as she approaches it then scratches behind it's ear with one hand as it begins to eat from the plate.

"That's a good fellow." She croons.

The horse quickly finishes its treat and Karina puts the empty plate aside on a table.
She stretches then turns back around to begin walking back in the direction of the city.
-Banner by Aida
Madeliefie
Location: I've got one hand in your pocket and the other one is giving a peace sign.

Post by Madeliefie »

Madeliefie knew she couldn't wait any longer. She prepared herself and then pretended to stumble into the girl. She was instantly all apologies.
"Oh my goodness, how clumsy of me! Are you alright? I'm such a klutz. I'm so sorry."
She bent and picked the handful of coins off the ground.
"Look, you must have dropped these. Better put them somewhere safe."
If the girl was trying to trap her then at least she didn't have the money on her anymore. And if she wasn't trying to trap her, then at least she hadn't taken from a potential friend. Now to distract the girl before she suspected anything.
"Tell me more about that fluffy feline friend of yours. He's a duke or an earl or something I believe."
Madeliefie smiled while she chattered but she was not going to let her guard down for one moment.
Karina

Post by Karina »

"I'm fine, no worries; it happens to me sometimes too."
She smiles reassuringly; then wrinkles her brow at the coins.

"I don't think I did; my money is in a drawstring pouch, see?"
Karina holds up her recently filled pouch.
"Those must be yours. That reminds me though,"

Karina goes back around to the saddle bag and begins counting out some more Freznics.
"Since you've decided to spend time showing me around the way, you should have some wages for it. Is 25 good?"
She comes back around and extends a hand with the offered money towards Madeliefie.

"Yeah, his name's Duke of Earl. He didn't used to be a real Duke, but the King made him one a few years back after a small civil war where a prior King tried to ...what's the word, illegitimately?, retake the throne. Duke sided with the King in the fight and the King rewards loyalty."
-Banner by Aida
Madeliefie

Post by Madeliefie »

Madeliefie kept her smile fixed on her face thinking, "Well, that didn't work. Now she's given me more money. Who just gives money away? This is very suspicious."
Maybe she should try the "I left something behind trick." She could run back to the horse and put the money back and then run back. Or run away. But then, the girl seemed to be smarter than she looked. What if she asked about what was left behind? What if she remembered that Madeliefie didn't have anything to leave behind?
Meanwhile she kept walking and smiling and tried to make conversation.
"So tell me, how does the Duke keep his fur so fluffy, and in such good condition?"
Karina

Post by Karina »

"Oh, it's a bit of a chore. He thinks he does it all by himself with his tongue, but really I have to give to give him the bath sometimes, and he fusses so over it."
Karina goes on to describe a bath scene.

"A cat also needs exercise to keep their fur soft; it gets brittle if they just laze about all day. Duke loves to laze about thinking about stuff, so I have to hold something shiny in a beam of sunlight to make a spot on the wall and move it around so duke will chase the spot and get his exercise. It's funny to watch sometimes."
-Banner by Aida
Madeliefie

Post by Madeliefie »

Without realising it she found herself chuckling at the image of the dignified feline being bathed or chasing after beams of light. But the stolen coins still weighed down any chance at relaxing. She could feel them against through the material of her pocket. What now? She had to come up with a plan, but what?

"Think, Madeliefie, think!" she ordered herself.

In the meantime she made conversation. 

"And what about you? Do you have to work a lot or do you also get to play? Where are you from? How old are you?"
Karina

Post by Karina »

"Both, I think. I can play too, but I also do work that is fun like helping to bake pies. Most of my work though is just translating for my cat since most people can't understand him. I hear his mind and whisper it to Grandfather who writes it all down for pages or coworkers to read in the council chambers. Besides' that it's just little errands like this; buying roses and such."

"Well, at the moment I'm from Fenia City. Before that I suppose, I'm from my cat's dream or heart or other peoples hearts or something like that. I don't really know how it works."

"Well, on the one hand, I'm seven years old. On the other, I've been seven years old for the last seven years, so I'm not sure if that still makes me just seven or am I really supposed to be fourteen now. And on a third hand, I may be as old as thinking is. Who really knows?"

She shrugs,
"How about you? What do you do for a living? Is Widu your hometowne? Are you anywhere near my age?"
-Banner by Aida
Madeliefie

Post by Madeliefie »

An ageless seven-year-old who possibly came from a cat's dream. She really should never have underestimated the girl.
They were getting closer to the market place now and while that presented certain opportunities it also meant that she was closer to whatever complication the stolen freznics were going to cause. Still, she knew the city. If she had to make a run for it she probably had a good chance of getting away.
Whether it was a sense of guilt or a sense of morbid curiosity she didn't run down the first alley.
Instead, she led the way to the flower stall in the centre of the market.
"Would you like me to talk to the stall owner?" She asked innocently. "I may be able to convince him to give you a bargain."
The glimmerings of a plan were starting to take shape in her mind.
Karina

Post by Karina »

"Sure! That would be great, thank you. I don't think folk will be especially inclined towards I and mine just yet and might think it's a good time to gouge considering what usually happens to a market about now. We aren't actually going to do that, but I'm sure people might be expecting it anyway.
-Banner by Aida