[ORP] #8 Wayward Pines Street - Empty Lot

Moderator: Community Team

Duke_of_Earl

[ORP] #8 Wayward Pines Street - Empty Lot

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

((set on the evening of the 27th))

Duke and his entourage, having moved on from the camp before the gate, had begun to look for another spot in town to set the camp back up. Ultimately, deciding: <'Well, why not?'>, they laid out the 25F necessary to buy a plot of land on a wooded outlier street where, thus far, only a single other neighbor dwelt in a small dwelling 7 lots down.

It had been a long time, since Duke had been out in the trees.
His first home in Secfenia had been the midden heap at the crossroads, followed shortly after by his Mistresses estate; wherein he'd resided for the past seven years. Has it been so long? Duke was starting to feel 'old'; hopefully he was perhaps only tired from the day.

Sofie leads the horses onto the site with grandfather and Karina on each one and some gear in the pack saddles with which to begin making camp. Duke selects a wayward pine and proceeds to head on inside of its boughs and climb up onto a branch.

<Alright. This will do for tonight.
We'll rest here after such a long day, and we can begin setting up again come the dawn.>

The others grab a bedroll after tying the horses to the tree, head within to sleep.

----

((morning of the 28th))

As the sun rises, and the party awakens to new day Duke begins to plan the layout of the camp.
<Alright. First things first, we will need to set up a writing desk inside a small windbreak pavilion so we can begin filing paperwork...>

"Duke! That's not the first thing to do!"
Sofie exclaims loudly.
Duke blinks.
<It's not?>
"No. It's not."
she says as she heads to the horse and grabs out a small shovel, waving it in his direction for a moment.
"Go, bring us down a couple of rabbits or something, and I'll get to the writing station after the latrines, fire pit, and sleeping tents."
<Rabbits. Alrighty then. Back soon.>
Duke heads off into the pines as Sofie begins digging some holes.

Karina looks and Grandfather.
"I brought eggs" she says, with a small whine; to which he replies:
"But you gave away our frying pan."
She puts on a sour expression.

----

((Later))

Duke breathes a sigh of relief out through his nostrils as he is finally able to file a fiscal report and mail some letters.
Duke mentally 'phews'. It had been an entire week; or it would be come morning.

----

((9/29))
Duke awakens in his tree branch, the sun already up, and prepares to head off to work.
-
Duke returns from the temple after a slightly incidental morning for a bite of leftover lunch and an afternoon nap.

----

((Everything is presently up to date now.))
NAME, RACE, -banner by Aida
Duke_of_Earl

Re: [ORP] #8 Wayward Pines Street - Empty Lot

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

-The last day of the month; -7 days since leaving home; -the third day in this camp. ((Color coding experiment; -possibly a failure))
----
<It seems I've already eaten this morning. How odd; but I don't remember doing that.>

"You did.
You had a raw egg and some bit of corn.
"

<hmmmmm.>

"Any plans for today, boss."

<Not really. Just manning the ramparts like yesterday and the days before; following the captains lead.
Maybe pass through the market on the way to and fro; see if there are any transactions anyone wants done.
>

"My favorite month in the year begins tomorrow."

<It is a fine month.>
The cat yawns.
Duke_of_Earl

Re: [ORP] #8 Wayward Pines Street - Empty Lot

Post by Duke_of_Earl »

Tuesday October 1st - Saturday October 5th Eleven
----
Tuesday

"New marching orders came down the pipes today". Sofie mentions to the others.
"Seems we should begin making our preparations to return home by the end of the week."

<This week?> Duke asks. <I thought we were here through the middle of next?>

She shrugs. "I guess enough folk must be here here now."

he replies: <Well, just as well I suppose.
I have paperwork building back up at the temple and left on my council desk as well.
Who knows, perhaps I will still be able to posthumously clear Alders name.>

"mhm; hey Duke..."? Sofie asks: "Would you mind too terribly if I decided to stay behind here when the rest of you head off?"

"What?!?" bursts in Karina. "You don't want to come back home?"

"I like it here." Sofie replies. "This is my kind of place; a place that's waking up.
"but this spot is only an empty lot." Karina exclaims.
"I've lived out of lots before sweet girl." answers Sofie, "I grew up living out of lots. All I'd need is one of the supply wagons."
"but the cold weather will be setting in soon." Karina insists, with a bit of a whine in her voice. "How will you stay warm?"
"Well, perhaps I'll find a lover? Sofie says with a touch of humor in her voice.

Duke breathes a sigh out through his nostrils.
<Well, I suppose I could use someone on site to collect and keep track of the Orange Grove data for me; and with the Dark Elf so close, they might need an emergency healer nearby. If you are sure this is where you want to be: I was going to hire fresh for this site, but I can back in the capital instead.>

"But I'm going to miss you and be sad when you're gone." Karina says.
"There now, Sofie answers. I'm sure you'll be in to visit with each and every wish; besides which, the cat'll have to swing by pretty regularly to pick up the orange grove files and make trades for oranges.

Karina goes to sit in a corner under one of the pines.

----
Wednesday - Friday

The group spends the following days making preparations and rearranging the campsite into a more permanent homey configuration.
Duke decides to part with his large cart for Sofie to use as a dwelling space and leaves a pillow and a blessed cloth blanket for her along with it. The writing desk is replaced with a dining table of sorts and the pavilion is left over it as a wind and rain break. She and Grandfather spend some time building small shelters over the latrine pits, and setting up a cooking and laundry area.

----
Saturday

Duke, Grandfather and Karina set out in the wee early hours of the morn for their return home. Grandfather gives Sofie a small and uncharacteristic hug and mutters that he's glad she never became him. Karina weeps a bit into her should and holds on tightly for awhile before being disengaged and set down to pick up the cat; who is then placed back in a basket on the plow horse that Karina and Grandfather are riding home. Sofie watches them depart with a sigh then turns back into her new place to settle in.

----