[ORP] Whitwater Estate

Moderator: Community Team

Mantas

Re: [ORP] Whitwater Estate

Post by Mantas »

Mantas noticed that Bridget started drinking at a slower pace but he didn't let that slow him down. He could become quick to anger sometimes after to many drinks but there was little worry about that here. Some slurred speech or a spilled drink were his only concerns today and considering the last time he had taken time to relax had been so long ago it was well worth the risk.

"Let's switch to a more pleasant conversation. How are things looking for Widu? Do you have any plans I could assist with?"
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Mantas seemed to relax at her response. Bridget topped up his glass, the whiskey bottle now empty. "Worry not, there's plenty more in the pantry!" She chuckled and winked at her guest.

She leaned forward in her chair and picked up a slice of bread. She idly tore it to bits as she pondered his questions. The first was easy, the second on the other hand...

"Widu is doing well these days. The population increase in the past year has been wonderful. Finally we have an active militia and jobs are plentiful." She thought back to the many sleepless months she'd spent guarding town hall. That had been a very lonely time. "Perhaps there's a place for you in town council in the future, should that be of interest."

"My plans, you ask?"
As she considered Mantas' second question, Bridget stood and turned away, gathering her arms about herself. "I feel like... a journey might be in my future." She turned and smiled, an obvious weight lifted, a new sparkle in her eye, "And now that you've found a home for yourself here in Fenia, what do you desire for your future?"
Thank you, Aishe!
Mantas

Post by Mantas »

"A journey?" Mantas exclaimed with much more excitement in his voice than normal. The drinks are slowly starting to turn his typical serious and somber attitude into one more jovial. A smile was on his face as he continued. "I used to detest travel but over the last few years have become fond of it. The road offers a much needed break from the workshop, my studies and running the estate. Whenever I can afford to slip away I travel to another town for trade or... Mantas paused and stared at Bridget realizing he shouldn't finish that sentence. ...other business. I would try to invite myself along but I'm afraid I should be spending time in the workshop and library for the foreseeable future. Do you have a destination in mind?

Mantas considered Bridget's question. He had already accomplished all of the early goals he had set for himself. "I do intend on starting some sort of guild in the future. I won't be ready for such an undertaking for some time though. For now I'm just focusing on my studies in the library."
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget smiled and sat back down as she watched Mantas loosen up a bit across from her. She was used to everyone acting so proper and formal in her presence, it was nice to feel able to let her guard down for an afternoon.

“I traveled for many, many months before I first arrived in Widu. Those times were not easy so when I found my place here, I stayed put for several years.” She twirled the remaining liquid in glass, not wishing to finish it as that might signify their conversation was to come to its end. “After I made a name for myself here, I once again spent some time on the road, seeing all the far corners of Secfenia. I traveled alone again, but that time it was…” She pondered for a moment, a slight grin appearing on her lips, “… cathartic. Of course, by then I had the means to travel in much more luxury. As for a destination this time… yes: I intend to revisit the land where I was born. I have some unfinished business to attend to.” She attempted to project confidence and conviction she didn’t have.

Bridget quickly downed the rest of her whiskey and, feeling another surge of boldness, spoke openly,
“Not that it matters, Mantas, but I’m proud of you and how much you’ve accomplished during your short time in Widu. I feel like you’ve got much to offer this kingdom, and I want you to know that I’m here should you ever need help or advice or… anything… to get you to where you want to be. I’m just really happy you settled here.” She felt her cheeks flush slightly, as they did when she spoke without forethought. “Now… should I get another bottle, or do you have to get back to your busy schedule?”
Thank you, Aishe!
Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

As she had grown older, Rosalie had become more and more independent of her mom. Granted, Rosalie was never really reliant on Ella. Not even when she had first been born into this world as a baby. The product of an abusive marriage and a meddling beast had resulted in a unique child entirely of Ella's own blood with a soul reincarnated. See, this wasn't Rosalie's first life. She had lived another life as a naiad before her soul had been swept away to the Nether in death. Her memories of this life were fuzzy at best, consisting mostly of feelings and instincts without any real knowledge of where they come from.

The water nymph inside her had a particular affinity for water. This was slightly ironic given her mother's predilection to all things fire. Growing up, Rosie could often be spotted playing in a stream or chasing after water creatures. She even found herself at the sea a time or two. Naiads were freshwater nymphs, so it didn't quite make sense why she was often drawn to saltwater as well. Maybe it was her early experience with the sea in this life or maybe in her past life she had some nereids lineage. Regardless of her internal reasons, it was hardly a surprise when Rosalie, now appearing to be physically in her late teens, arrived on the northeastern coast of Fenia by the sea.

A dark-haired figure could be seen wandering on a beach with a large leather-bound book in her hand. She kept opening it to check the pages as she walked through the ice-cold edge of the water. Each time the seafoam pushed out onto the beach it splashed up her calves, and further soaked her crimson red dress. Rosalie didn't even notice when she wandered onto the private estates of Whitwater's Countess.
~ Countess of Northborough ~ Daughter of Ella ~ Blackwood Family ~ Banner by Zehara ~
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Life had been quiet as of late at Whitwater Estate. Bridget had just recently returned from a short trip to the capital and was truthfully enjoying the time alone as she readjusted to a more public life once again.

Bridget was about to put the kettle on the stove as she glanced out the window toward the sea and spied a dark-haired figure walking through the cold surf. She would be hard to miss – her red dress such a stark contrast to the grey waves and white sand below. Bridget frowned; it was unusual that no one had alerted her to guests, so this visitor likely didn’t enter the property through the front gates.

She wasn’t averse to guests – in fact she quite enjoyed company these days – but she didn’t want anyone getting into any trouble on her property – and the temperature of the water this time of year could spell doom for most anyone.

She grabbed her heavy black cloak from its hook by the back door and headed out the rear of the estate. She adjusted the cloak across her shoulders – the cold wind atop the cliff was fairly biting this afternoon – as she quickly descended the staircase to the beach below.

The beach itself was inside a cove, which kept one mostly protected from the elements. The sea though was another story. There was little protection here from the in-coming tides or rogue waves, which were common this time of year due to the cold winds pushing ahead of the approaching winter season.

Bridget studied the girl for a few moments. She appeared to be fairly young – about the age Bridget was when she first arrived in Widu close to a decade ago. She seemed neither distressed nor hurt, just consumed by her own thoughts, intently consulting the book in her hands. She looked to be searching for something.

Standing back from the water’s edge Bridget called out to the stranger,
“I don’t mean to startle you… can I help you with something? The sea is awfully cold, I fear you’ll catch your death if you stand out there much longer!”
Thank you, Aishe!
Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

Usually, Rosalie was better equipped to sense creatures around her. The subtle shift of the shadows could alert her before a creature even wanted their presence known. At this moment, however, Rosalie was too engrossed in consulting the tome she was carrying to notice the approaching figure. A voice cut over the sound of the rolling surf causing her to spin around a bit faster than necessary.

"Hello," she greeted the stranger who was standing several feet back on the beach away from the water's icy touch. Rosalie, however, seemed entirely oblivious to how cold the sea was. She wasn't actually unaware, she just didn't care. The temperature had little effect on her, unlike her mother who probably would have frozen to death by this point. "I suppose to some the temperature would be troubling, yes. I've come in search of a creature that I've heard rumored in the seas around here," the young woman announced as she stepped out of the water and made her way closer to the red-haired woman. The sand now clung to her feet and the bottom of her skirt, more and more with each step. Some would find this to be an irritating nuisance but much like the cold water, she didn't mind. "Are you familiar with the aquatic life in this area?" She asked the woman inquisitively. She was about to brandish the book to her to show her what she was looking for when she realized she hadn't even introduced herself. "Oh right, I've forgotten my manners. My name is Rosalie, Rosalie Blackwood."
~ Countess of Northborough ~ Daughter of Ella ~ Blackwood Family ~ Banner by Zehara ~
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget smiled and took a step closer to the girl, still keeping well back from the water’s edge. “Welcome to Whitwater Estate, Rosalie. I am Bridget.” She hated using titles and only did so when etiquette required it.

Blackwood… Bridget knew of the family – the Countess of Northborough was well-regarded in the court, though she couldn’t recall if they’d ever actually met in person. Much of Bridget’s time living under the Fenian flag had been a blur, especially the first year as she came to terms with the events that led her here in the first place.

“A sea creature?” Bridget slowly nodded her head and looked out over Rosalie’s shoulder at the whitecaps past the cape. Truthfully, she tended to avoid the sea. Sure, she spent countless hours strolling the shores and studying the tidal pools, but the black nothingness beyond the cove frightened her greatly. “I know a bit of the aquatic life along the coast here and I’d be happy to help you,” she paused for a moment as she gathered her words, “if you would share your intentions surrounding this creature.” Regardless of her fear of the open sea, she had immense respect for all that lurked in the deep. While Rosalie had an air of curiosity about her – she did not look at all like a trophy hunter – Bridget knew too well that looks could be deceiving.

Hoping her charge hadn’t caused offense, she smiled again and waved her hand toward the clifftop.
“You’re welcome to join me in the manor for a cup of tea while we discuss this quarry of yours, or we can stay here, if you’d prefer…” She glanced out at the churning waves crashing against the cliffs and pulled her cloak tighter around her shoulders.
Thank you, Aishe!
Rosalie

Post by Rosalie »

"Countess of Whitwater?" Rosalie tilted her head as she looked over the woman. She had never met the woman, but owing to her mother's work she was not unfamiliar with who Bridget was. The younger woman gave a slight bow of her head in deference to the lady. Manners and etiquette of Fenian nobility had been something that her mother had taught her and made sure she respected, even if Rosalie could sometimes be a bit abrupt in her words and demeanor. "I'm sorry, I did not realize I was close to your private estates. I wouldn't have trespassed here intentionally," she explained.

"My intentions?" She asked without understanding the subtle nuance of the question. It had never occurred to her that someone might suspect her of maliciously hunting down a creature. "I had read about this sea creature and I wanted to see it, study it. Some reports say it’s a monster, but people overuse that term in my opinion." Too often, society was quick to judge something they knew little to nothing about.

As the Countess offered her tea back at the manor, looked upwards towards the cliff above. It would be a good place to take in the surrounding landscapes and shoreline if nothing else.
"Thank you, that sounds very good. I'll happily accept your offer."
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget led the way up the path towards the manor. “While this area is in my name, it is open to all visitors. I would never restrict access to her beauty to any who wish to explore.”

The wind was picking up and she’d be much more comfortable continuing this conversation indoors. Entering the kitchen at the rear of the manor, Bridget hung her cloak and prepared the kettle. She motioned for Rosalie to sit at the small oaken table next to a large window overlooking the sea far below. “Please take the seat closest to the fire so you’ll dry off. I know you said you’re not bothered by the cold, but would you like a blanket or a change of clothes?”

She prepared a pot of tea and brought it, along with a tray of bread and cheese, to the table. She sat across from Rosalie and smiled, “I couldn’t agree more… The only true monsters I’ve encountered in my life looked very much like you and I. We are often fearful of what we don’t understand.” She poured two cups of tea and then continued, “I’m more familiar with the land-dwelling creatures with whom we share these parts. As I said, I am wary of sea travel,” she chuckled at the irony of her statement, “but perhaps I can help you find what you’re looking for. Would you be able to describe this creature?”
Thank you, Aishe!