[RP] Athnal's Coffins and Carpentering

Moderator: Community Team

Athnal

[RP] Athnal's Coffins and Carpentering

Post by Athnal »

Athnal was making preparations for his new workshop. Very keen on wooden arts like sculptures, he decided to become a carpenter. He was convinced it’s best business because whatever will happen, people will always die, and therefore need for coffins is constant. For many nights Voices in his head tormented him with dreams about death and tiny, dark rooms. Now he didn’t know, if every night with no dreams weren’t just the dream about lying in coffin. Small wooden box, where you can’t even catch a breath with your breast. He liked nights without dreams best. Is it like he should sleep in coffin? Conclusions like this were hard to accept. Whatever something born in his mind. The idea of workshop, which brings him close to art of sculpture, and art of the death itself.

Athnal had apathy in his eyes. They were empty, similar to those of blind people. He considered it as an illness. His body was weak and since childhood he used to many sickness appearing to him. He never talked about one shocking event, which brought him to the edge of death. This mysterious event also started terrible avalanche of health troubles. Often lying in his bed in fever, alone, he started to talk to himself. First it appeared like he was listening to his thoughts more often than common folk, but soon his parents realized it was something more. And indeed, his thoughts lived their own lives, soon forcing Athnal to do what they demand. That’s why sometimes people around him get impression he needs to think longer what to say. Thoughts were more and more intolerable with every passing day. After years they had full control of Athnal’s life. Since then he started to call them Voices and follow their will. Imagine someone telling you what to do, while your body is practically decaying. You need a doctor, but there is nobody to help you.

Now Voices pushed Athnal to open his workshop. He planned it for some time but King’s will hastened his decision. He wanted to explore the world of death, to be close to it. He knew the Grim One is coming for him. Usually only popping up for a tea cup or sitting in the corner of his room reading some scrolls. But deep in his soul he knew about some mysterious bond between him, Voices and the Death itself. He knew that one day he will leave with her. Before this day, he wanted to be close to the others. Dying people, mourning families, rainy mornings at graveyard. And for his straight mind there was no better way to fulfill this desire than carve a coffin. He decided to do other things that carpenter can do as well. Athnal bought a cottage close to his and made it over into carpenter’s workshop. It was filled with scent of fresh wood. Dark and moist interior served as his atelier and outside he kept examples of his work. Wondering sticks, figures, furniture and, first of all- coffins. All made with great taste and deep inspiration. Every piece of his handwork carried a sign of his original style. Heavy and overwhelming, you wouldn’t like to get it as a wedding gift.

On the front of the workshop he hanged a signboard:

(Nice ladies were always luring customers)

And small note:
Athnal's Coffins and Carpentering

Opened monday-friday: 8 am - 4 pm

For special orders contact me personally or via mail
Athnal

Re: [RP] Athnal's Coffins and Carpentering

Post by Athnal »

Athnal had not much to do in his workshop. He already made few useful items like boat or shield, but there was not many customers around. Also not many people died so far so his coffins were lying around waiting for unaware future owners. He sweeped sawdust outside and sat in his chair. For a while he stared at the coffins. Odd thoughts appeared in his mind, and the Voice told him:

"I am so tired"

And he lay in the coffin. He felt strange and Voices wanted him to close his eyes. He did so and said:

"I have news my friends. I have news. I have news. I am not burried yet."

Then he opened his eyes and looked in the void of dark attic.
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Day were passing by slowly for some time. Athnal watched the town growing in people and in buildings. Few nice cottages grew around, like mushrooms in his cellar. Most of current townfolks he never met, some of them, he never spoke with. He hardly spoke with anyone. Sometimes, lurking in tavern, rather hearing what people have to say. However, he was not exactly the loner type. Once, sitting before his workshop, he had marvellous idea. In these days he used his skills mostly to own entertaiment, not to crafting any really useful items. While staring at ladies passing by, something borned in his mind. It was not an idea, it was not even a thought. It was a vivid person. She had more life than many of real people around him tend to have. Athnal dissappeard in the shadows of his workshop for few hours. With small, but how precise knife, he began to cut certain shapes in the piece of expensive wood. It had to be expensive, because his thoughts are neither cheap or common. Memories of Bravia, Paz, memories of the women sitting with him in the Town Hall of Paz, one of his servants, fulfilling his wishes. Memories that lived and borned once again, in his, now lonely, mind. There was new person coming to life in his hands. Face, arms, legs, everything was coming out of shadows of piece of wood. When he finished it, he took litle brush and painted the figure. Then he used his whole sewing skills to sew a dress. After he attached strings, he looked into puppet's eyes and said:

"Greetings m'lady"

"Welcome Athnal" voice appeared in the maze of his imagination.

Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Grinning, the young girl enters the shop. Her wings tugged away gently underneath the clothes, hiding her race carefully. Her head twists to look around in the shop. "Hello?" she calls out, hoping for a reply. "I'm in need of some service here." she asks, her eye darting to a few items in the store. The man had some nice handywork indeed, he appeared very skillful. Her fingers softly slid over the soft-polished wooden surface of a coffinlid, gently as she closed her eyes, letting her mind be filled with the dream of her first battle. She could hardly wait to get in the fray, to possibly be granted a journey home..
Her thoughts drifted off to her ship, the Via Domus, dreaming of getting up on the deck once more, it might've been new of craft, but it was dangerous of nature.
Her eyes opened again to look around to try and spot the shopkeeper.
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

"Hello?"
Athnal resting in his atelier overheard female voice from his shop.
"I'm in need of some service here."
He stand up and went to see who the customer was. He saw young lady watching his craft. He stared for a moment if she is alone.

"necromancers... they are stalking me"

"Hello m'lady...can I help you somehow?"

Athnal not used to customers in his shop, rather to people around market, guessed she is in need. He gave her close look, trying to remember hers sizes.

"Are you looking for a coffin? For yourself or as a gift for your dear friend? I have some to chose from, take your time"

He pointed out few coffins on the exposition.

"Fine quality, would you like to try any?"

He imagined her lying in a coffin, without coat and with soft smile on her emerald face.

"Last travel? At least you could buy yourself nice dress. Youth got no respect for Death nowadays" Voices in his head were voices of great taste. Haunting many artists before him, they knew how to die properly.

"Hmm?" Asking expression appeared on his face.
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

Tilting her head slightly at his slightly.. Morbid suggestion, she contemplated for a moment reserving a coffin for herself. Mentally she shook the thought from her mind though and spoke, "No, no coffins. I am in need of other woodcrafting services." Her hand left the soft coffinlid and she took steps towards the shopkeeper. Her face grinning softly as her voice spoke again, this time slightly lower, "If i were to tell you i might be needing some light siege equipment, how would that sound?" she asked, "Surely payment will happen in advance." Her eyes sent him a look of truth as she talked, walking closer to him. The hard boots making loud sounds as it threaded the wooden floorboards. The beautiful pale skin being complimented by the dim light that the room donated.. Her beautiful eyes glistening in the glow.. Those soft lips perfectly shapen.. She crossed her arms before her chest, leaning on the left leg casually. "How's that sound?" she finished and gave him a soft wink.
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Athnal stood straight, watching Vicky's every move. She was sweet like a little girl, looked dangerous though. With disapointment in his voice he said:

"No coffins? You sure? Well...light wooden weapons you say...I can make you a staff and a shield."

Wondering a while, what she may be up to, he continued to talk:

"Unfortunately I have no shield at the moment. But wait a minute..."

He approached to window, set a side curtain, stared at the street suspiciously, turned back to Vicky and said:

"Come, I will show you something special I am working on currently, I think it may suit you."

He showed her the way to the atelier, where he had something lying on a table, covered with black blanket. He uncovered it. Wooden, planed disk lay there among steel rings.

"Touch it, it's most beautiful form of shield I've ever created. I will put black leather on it, forge it with steel rings you see here. I will add silver on surface and steel horn in the middle. It's not finished yet, I need week or so...I will call it "Moonlight"..."

He waited a moment for her reaction.

"You know...sometimes I have feelings about other people. Now I feel that my shield could scarry many folks in your hands. I think that is what I want for her..." He softly touched the surface of disk "Moonlight. Yes. I can sell it to you, but only if you are really, really interested"

He covered it quickly with blanket.

"If not, come back in few days and your shield will be ready."
Ermalyse

Post by Ermalyse »

Ermalyse was walking in town looking for Athnal shop.. she has promissed to pass by to have a look at his coffins... tree familly memeber to burry.. she sighs...she opends the door quietly.. takes off her hood that was covering her head and face.. she looks at him with a sweet smile...She see Athnal occupied with a other cotumer , she quietly moves to a cornor where she saw some coffins, not to disturb... She whaites patiently he finishes his buisness with her... she takes a small look at the coffins and sighs... this was most hardest thing she had to do... He passes her hand on the beautiful wood work tracing every smal detail... she new that he was the perfect man to make her familly a resting bed... They where going to be comftable in his skillful hands... she smiled softly... she looks at him with the cornor of he eyes and a small giggle sliped as he was showing the woman a shiled.. he was not only a skillful carpenter but also.. a good sence of buisness...
Athnal

Post by Athnal »

Vicky was making her mind long time so Athnal decided to take care of hooded customer. It turned out to be Ermalyse. He smiled at beautiful woman looking around the shop.

"ah, priestess."

"Welcome to my shop Ermalyse, I am glad you finally made your way here. How can I help you?" he asked.
Vicky

Post by Vicky »

As Vicky stood there for a moment, contemplating why she asked 1 question, and got another replied to. She snickered slightly as his confusion, "Well, that's all dandy but i di..." and as she heard the door open, she halted her sentence there, her body turning to look at the newest arrival. Turning back to the shopkeeper her playful self had gone "Just take care of that first, I'll look around.." she told and let him tend to the newest customer. Her eyes darted from one craft to another, admiring the work.