Widu Temple

Moderator: Community Team

Ceol

Re: Widu Temple

Post by Ceol »

Ceol fluttered into the basilica, rubbing her eyes. She still wasn't used to the sun suddenly being up sooner.

Dearest friends,

Never underestimate the power of education, for most conflicts arise in misconceptions. And misconceptions are the result of ignorance. Ignorance of the ways of other creatures, or other lands, but also ignorance of how to best communicate ideas.
And while many see conflict as a last resort, in truth it's an easy way out. It's easy to misunderstand, easy to hate, and easy to pick up a weapon. To wield that weapon correctly is a whole different matter. That, too, requires education.
So educate yourselves, not only to avoid unnecessary conflict, but also to stand strong and act with precision when conflict can't be avoided.

May you go happy and inspired.
Wyllow

Post by Wyllow »

Entering the Temple, she looked around, but the place seemed quite empty. The temple wasn't a place that she spent a good deal of time at, but she was diligent in attending mass. She found at times that the sermons lifted her mood a good deal and especially during this time, she felt that she was in need of something more divine.

Taking a seat anyhow, she sat quietly and closed her eyes. So much had happened and changed. She just needed a place to collect her thoughts. After a while, she got to her feet. Maybe tomorrow Mass would be held. With that as a last thought, she exited toward the graveyard. It had been too long since she had spoken to her brother.
Teide

Post by Teide »

Teide steps to the altar and looks at her audience. Today she is decked out in a nose ring with a silver chain connecting to her earrings and silver lined amethysts hanging on the end of each of her four curved black horns.

"Today I would speak on the virtue of vanity.
A virtue? Yes, the virtue of vanity. False modesty becomes no one. Withholding information about yourself can be a good thing but don't put yourself down. Everyone can find something they hate about themselves but can you name one thing you like about yourself? Since when is looking in the mirror and putting down yourself profitable? Are you getting paid? No, all you are doing is making yourself miserable and projecting those insecurities on every poor person who must hear how you hate your fat butt, or flat nose....we all suffer something we dislike.

So how about instead looking in the mirror every morning and telling yourself what is beautiful about you. Are you chubby? Well for a female some lusty curves and for a male who can push you around? You've got the edge on those skinny guys for a curvacious beauty. Do you like the color of your eyes? Find at least one thing you love about yourself. Respect yourself and take care of yourself. The more you tell yourself your good points, the more confidence you will gain with others and people respond to it.

You want to be treated differently, treated with respect or love?
You have to start by treating yourself with love and respect.

That's all today. I'm going to go look in a mirror now and gaze at my amazing green and red eyes and polish my obsidian horns to perfection.....then practice goring chubby hobbes."

She bows and pulls out a mirror and shoe polish.
Teide

Post by Teide »

Teide drags a cow into the service. The brown beast bellows in complaint, yanking at her rope. The tug of war continues all the way up to the altar. Unable to haul the big old heifer up Teide whistles and calls an acolyte to help her. Once at the head of the altar Teide fillets the old girl like a fish with a sword. She pulls out the innards and reads the people's fortune this week.

"You could read too much into something this week, especially if it seems to promise more than is actually there. Take your time before making a decision. Friday encourages social options with a chance of an exciting meeting. Someone may impress you enough for you to want to know more.You could experience one or two setbacks to a chosen goal but biding your time could be beneficial at this stage."

Teide nods, "Well that's what the cow tells me anyway. Remember you make you own fortune and it's your determination and confidence that sets a lot of the pace. Don't be afraid to be honest with people but be sensitive of their thoughts and emotions. Some of you might not like the cow sacrifice...but exposure to different perspectives this week will open up new opportunities. Don't be afraid of what is strange or different."

She whistles to the staff she had gathered.

"Now everyone this week after sermon is a BBQ! See you then!"
Teide

Post by Teide »

Instant Gratification has a bad name. It is often associated with people who are impatient and who do not possess sufficient discipline. Those that can resist instant gratification for the sake of long term benefits and gains are looked upon as somehow being superior.

In the age of ‘mindfulness’ where we are taught to appreciate the present moment, instant gratification doesn’t seem so bad. Death will come to us all but this concept is pretty much considered taboo and isn’t regularly talked about. As a result, many people live in denial of their ultimate destiny. They squirrel away endless savings in favour of a frugal existence with the long term hope that they will be able to cash in on their self restraint and live off the proceeds forever. There is some sanity in this approach and I am not referring to balanced planning for the future. However, I know of many people who do not enjoy their lives now in lieu of some vague idea of future paradise.

Those that are against instant gratification almost see it as a sin. As if it is virtuous and pious to abstain from pleasure. Eh??

Stop being a martyr. You deserve to spoil yourself, to live your life NOW. Dust off your favourite crockery and cutlery. Wear you best dress…stop waiting. Reject the commonly held idea that you are a good person by denying yourself.

Learn to savour life now. Don’t infinitely hold off a pleasure you could quite possibly grant yourself sooner. it’s really okay to use it now and really enjoy the moment.
Teide

Post by Teide »

Today I wish to speak to you on self-control.

to quote some of the great scholars:

"Some people imagine that self-control or willpower is something you only use once in a while, such as when you are tempted to do something wrong. The opposite is true. Research indicates that the average person spends three to four hours a day resisting desires. Plus, self-control is used for other things as well, such as controlling thoughts and emotions, regulating task performance and making decisions. So most people use their willpower many times a day, all day."

Self control is not dark or evil, good or bad. It is something we all do naturally as sentient creatures. Some races are prone to be more impulsive than others but we have all the capacity of decision. So in the end if you decided more on your personal limits throughout your day even a goblin can gain self control and discipline. Even an ogre can gain concentration of mind and will.

It is the mind and the will that dictate what you are not what you were born or raised to do. If you want a change in your life or your attitudes. You have to start making those small decisions every day that will slowly change your own self-defeating habits. The only one stopping you from getting where you want to be or who you want to be is you. Stop blaming others and start looking at your own reactions to the circumstances around you. You can't control the actions of others, only your own.

That's all. So stop whining to me at confession.
Teide

Post by Teide »

Hello Widu,

Today I will be your guide. I know you miss Chris but too bad I'm here today to make you think. Yes, thinking hurts...means you need use the 'muscle' called your brain more. Today I am talking about a brain's natural instant to self justify.

The engine that drives self-justification, the energy that produces the need to justify our actions and decisions — especially the wrong ones — is an unpleasant feeling called "cognitive dissonance." Cognitive dissonance is that you believe two things that are in exact odds with each other and the stress of the struggle between. Dissonance is disquieting because to hold two ideas that contradict each other is to flirt with absurdity and we are creatures who spend our lives trying to convince ourselves that our existence is not absurd.

Basically looking for ways to justify your actions is self-deluding and it blinds you from seeing the real effect of your actions and words. Don't justify what you have done just take responsibility for you actions and in your time self-examine. Trust me as you begin to strip away illusions you will become a much richer and more interesting creature living life to it's fullest because you are putting on the glasses to see the big picture much clearer.

I think Chris would approve of this...balanced message. If anyone has a question further on the subject...mail me. I'd be open to it this once.
Teide

Post by Teide »

"Today my dears were sacrificing Mr. Fluffykins the chicken. Thank you to Our Queen Victorious for her donation....even if she didn't know she donated. Where Mr. Fluffykin goes may he send a message to the Mages where he goes asking for good will on our behalf. Through his blood we might chalk up some points in their good books. If not...well killing something is always fun!"

Teide takes the knife and cuts the chicken's head right off. It runs around the temple frantically blessing the congregation with a lovely red rain before running into a pillar and falling on the ground twitching.

"I bet he's still running in the afterlife too. May the darkness bless you and may you get into plenty of sin so I can kill something else next week. Now if you all don't mind...I'm going to go...take a tour while Vic's guards are searching for Fluffykin's remains."

Teide grabs the chicken to deep fry on the run.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Alder watched Teide dash out of the temple with a slightly bemused look "Well that was... different. Anybody gonna clean up that blood before the guards start wondering if there's any connection or anything? No? Well, I'm getting outa here then... anybody asks, I'm not involved."

One day, he would figure out what caused Teide to do what she did, if for no other reason than until he did so, he was a bit of a disadvantage. He wasn't sure if he pitied those who would be working in the temple who had to clean up the blood or not when he himself had to go through what others had thrown out onto the street sometimes to find food. Once he was out of the temple and on the streets again, he turned around and looked back towards the slightly ominous shape of the dark basilica.

"If I didn't find what happens here funny sometimes, I think I'd probably just stay away all together... place is weird."
Ceol

Post by Ceol »

Ceol fluttered into the dark basilica. As usual after one of Teide's sacrifices, Ceol used her violin music to make brooms, mops and other cleaning items dance and clean up what was left of the blood.
She then wrote a note and pinned it on the door of the basilica.
I'd like to thank the following creatures for their donations to the basilica: Ava, Darutek, Chad7405, Tesla, Kali, Teide, Tuvoria, Myst, Karicer_aisu, Joschua, Tana, Bridget, Nahren, Maerwyn, RachelAsh, Reaver_Silverstone, Drydan, Baby, Gorlock and Serene. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you

Secondly, I want to apologise for probably not crediting creatures in the past. The items in our basilica seem to be confused and when I asked, over half of them answered they were donated to the town, while in fact they were donated to the basilica. My apologies.

With kind regards,
Priestess Ceol