[RP] Wildflower (Bridget's Cottage in the Woods)

Moderator: Community Team

Royce

Re: [RP] Wildflower (Bridget's Cottage in the Woods)

Post by Royce »

Royce sat down at the small table and was consumed with the sights and smells of this garden she called her hobby that he never even notice her leave but, promptly stood at her return with a tray laden with goodies. Royce saw the bread, the chunk of fine cheese and a jug of water and a bottle wine. He saw these things but, was captivated by the beauty that stood before him placing the tray upon the table. Bridget shone like the mid day sun and her fiery hair pulled back in a bun with enough loose strands to frame her face just so.

"I'd like some wine please," he said firmly but, softly not trying to sound demanding. "The road to your home is a long one with many a winding path and I feel as though a glass of wine would be quite alright." Royce could not believe that he had mustered enough courage to actually come out to a woman's house without asking her permission beforehand. "I really like your garden Bridget," he told her, "it must have taken you a long time to put together."
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget poured the wine into the glasses and sat across the table from Royce. She laughed when he mentioned her garden. “Time yes… lots of time. I’ve lived on this land for many years. I actually rarely ventured off my property, aside from the times I went into the forest to collect plants. It wasn’t until very, very recently that I made my way ‘out of the shadows’ so to speak.” Bridget looked around her yard and smiled to herself remembering all that had brought her here. She brushed her hair off her face and took a small sip of wine before looking back at Royce. “It really was a labour of love. There is something so calming about sitting out here, in nature, in the quiet, so far away from town. I lived so long in solitude that it’s important to have this to come home to.” She waved her hand idly toward the garden. I also use most of what I grow for medicinal, and other, uses. Everything has its purpose.”

Bridget reached across the table and broke off a chunk of bread and sliced some cheese. “Please don’t be shy. Eat! And while you do, I’d love to hear about your life before you came back to Widu.” She still wondered what had brought him to her doorstep this afternoon.
Thank you, Aishe!
Royce

Post by Royce »

Royce reached for his wine and sipped at it as he listened about Bridget's garden and how she spent a lot of time here in the forest. Following her lead he, too, broke off some bread and sliced some cheese. He began to nibble slightly on the cheese as he thought about his life and how he came to be in Widu once more.

"Well, I cannot remember what I may have already told you so I'll start at the very beginning, well the beginning after growing up in a monastery not knowing anything about my parents or lineage or anything." Royce's brow furrowed as he recalled events. "The monks did a great job of preparing me for life on my own. They taught me survival skills like which berries I could eat and which ones I should avoid and how to tell the difference." Royce paused a bit to wet his throat with some more wine. "they told me the same about mushrooms also. They showed me some skills in tracking animals and how to tell what animal was what by their tracks." Royce took a bite of the bread he had in his hand. "The last gift that they gave me was skill in hand to hand combat using a staff. I've since grown proficient in using a sword." Royce finished the wine in his glass before he continued. "I came to Widu when I was younger and really do too much. Picked some oranges, made a small home for myself. I was invited to come to Imperius by a guy who would later ask me to join his family. I jumped at the chance never ever having a family name before. I thought it would be good to be a part of something." Royce face darkened a little. "It turned out that I would wind up being used sort of. It was nothing but work here, work there, do this, do that. Finally I had had enough and I went out on a journey. I traveled all around Secfenia heading to the far west from Imperius to as far east as Bravia. I did not linger long in each town though. I came back to Imperius gathered up a few items that I had to fill an order for a friend here in Widu and well, then I met you in the tavern that day and the rest you already know." Royce cleared his throat a little as it was starting to go dry from his long winded speech. "How about you? How did you come to this quaint little cottage and why did you not go into town for quite some time?"
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

While Royce spoke, Bridget stole glances at his eyes, at his chiseled jaw - which he clenched as he spoke of dark times. She could see the pain upon his face and she wished to reach out and offer her hand, but she resisted. Instead she refilled his glass and smiled warmly at him when he'd finished his tale.

"This home originally belonged to an old woman I'd met through a traveling caravan. She could no longer maintain it, so she sold it to me for barely anything. I worked for sometime fixing it up. Actually I paid drifters and peasants for the work on the cottage itself, while I focused my energies on the gardens." She sipped her wine and took a deep breath before continuing. "Why did I choose to stay isolated for so long? Fear mostly. My childhood was... difficult." Bridget looked off over Royce's shoulder, not wishing to make eye contact as she spoke of her old life. "I was cast away from my home and my family at a young age. Trust - and self-confidence - were things I've really had to work on. It took me many years to open myself up to anyone. To feel worthy of friendship," she paused and dropped her gaze to the glass of wine in her hand, "Or affection." She looked back up at Royce and smiled.

"I'm very happy that you stopped by, Royce. Now... what of your future plans? Or at least your plans for the rest of today?"
Thank you, Aishe!
Royce

Post by Royce »

Royce resumed sipping at his wine after Bridget refilled it for him and listening with great interest as Bridget told him about her cottage and the hired hands that did the repair work. He found that she took pride in her garden and maintaining it by herself. Royce knew that this garden must be a focal point for her. A place where she can unwind, relax, and recharge herself. He saw her glance just past him over his shoulder at some hidden point as she spoke of being cast out of the home she grew up in. Royce was shocked when he heard this and started to ask why but, thought that would be a question better saved for a different day.

Royce put down his now half-empty glass of wine and began softly at first. "I can almost relate to how you feel about trust issues," he said, "living on my own with the forest and grasslands as my home I, too, found it hard to trust people. I can now freely open up to people about my background."
Royce couldn't help but see the smile on Bridget's face as she looked at him after mentioning affection. Her question snapped him out of his short trance.
"Well, short term, I plan to return to Imperius and take care of some business I have there." Royce stood and slid his chair along the edge of the table so that he was closer to Bridget. "My long term plan for the time being is to move to Widu and plant some roots." He looked deeply into Bridget's bright blue eyes as he said this.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget could tell that Royce was curious about her past. She knew she wouldn’t be able to hide from it forever and someday she’d likely need to share it with someone. She wondered if he’d look at her the same way he did now when he knew the truth. Bridget shook that thought from her head and continued listening to Royce.

Her heart leapt to her throat as he moved closer and leaned in to look in her eyes. She felt their knees brush against one another under the table and her face flushed a deep pink. She almost didn’t hear his words. Bridget stared for a moment, lost in his gaze, before she realized what he had said.

“You’re moving to Widu? Wow… this is unexpected news.” She could hardly contain her smile as she spoke. “Please let me know what I can do to help make the transition easier for you.”

Bridget picked up her still mostly full glass of wine and raised it to Royce. “To new beginnings. And roots.”
Thank you, Aishe!
Royce

Post by Royce »

Royce picked up his glass of wine and raised it along with Bridget. "To new beginnings," he repeated. He was caught off guard a little when she said that his move to Widu was unexpected. As he thought about it he agreed that to Bridget it may seem unexpected but he knew in his heart that he had to return to Widu. His walk around Secfenia told him that it was time for change.

Royce finally broke out of his thoughts. "I guess you could say that it is a little unexpected, but, I have been earning for some kind of change ever since I left Imperius and traveled around the world of Secfenia. Widu was the first town I was in since living in the forests after leaving the monastery." Royce gazed off a little, "I just knew that Widu would be the ideal place for a new start, as it holds for me everything I will ever need."

Royce gaze returned to Bridget's face and he thought he caught a glimpse of a smile but wasn't sure. "Yes, any kind of help you can offer will be welcomed greatly," Royce found himself smiling as well. "I leave tonight for Imperius and will start to pack everything up." Royce knew he didn't have much in the way of possessions at Imperius and would probably be back the following morning as he would wait for nightfall to travel. "I find traveling at night easier for me as I tend to hide in the shadows as I walk along."

Royce saw the sun starting to dip low in the sky and didn't realize how long he had been at Bridget's house. "Oh my!" he exclaimed, "the sun has started to set." He held his hand out to Bridget, "Would you like to accompany me back to town? Maybe we can find a vacant area for me to build a house on."
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Bridget took his hand. She felt a small spark of ... something ... course through her body as his fingers entwined hers. For a moment she was lost in thought as she looked down at the way their hands seemed to fit together yet contrast each other so perfectly; his - large and rough from his time in the forest, hers - dainty, her skin smooth and pale. She snapped herself back into the moment and glanced over her shoulder at the setting sun with a small sigh. The time had passed far too quickly. She stood and gave his hand a squeeze.

"Royce... I'd love to accompany you back to town, but with the lateness of the day, I'm afraid it wouldn't be the best idea. I'm hesitant to walk back alone once the sun has set. I normally relish the dark, but things have changed recently and I must be a little more cautious when it comes to my own safety. I do hope you understand."

She walked hand in hand with him as far as the main path and then stopped. Bridget reached out and took hold of his other hand and smiled brightly at him.

"I really enjoyed this afternoon with you, Royce. I would be more than happy to assist you in the search for your perfect home."

She watched him for a moment, unsure of how to say goodbye. A small knot formed in her stomach as she looked up into his eyes, searching for the right words and the right actions for this moment. Finally, she stood on her tiptoes and leaned in, placing her lips softly upon his cheek. "Be safe...," she whispered before releasing his hands and stepping back to watch him go.
Thank you, Aishe!
Royce

Post by Royce »

As Bridget took his hand a sense of security flowed through him almost telling him this is how its supposed to be. Royce's heart sank a little as Bridget declined his offer to go back to town with him. Somehow though he knew that it was for the better. He also knew that her safety was important to him.

The walk to the main path went by entirely too fast. Royce knew that the setting sun would make his journey the more perilous but, he wasn't worried. It was the best day he had experienced so far. A lovely afternoon spent with a gorgeous woman, drinking wine and just enjoying Bridget's company. They stood there and lingered for a awhile together. In what seemed like a semi awkward moment Bridget leans on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek and bade him a safe journey.

He walked backwards a short way until he could no longer make out her figure and turned round and increased his gait to make up for lost time. The thought of the kiss, the second kiss she has given him, pounded away in his mind and no matter which way he thought about it...it was a good thing.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

She stood at the path for some time after he'd disappeared from view. Her mind was busy going over all that had transpired this day... this week actually. She certainly wasn't looking for love or affection before Royce came to town. In fact she had been actively avoiding such matters. But Royce... there was definitely something there. She felt a sense of peace when in his presence. A sense of ease that she hadn't felt in a very long time.

The sun had dipped below the trees and Bridget had started to shiver when she finally turned around and made her way back to her cottage. She hummed to herself as she cleaned up the food, slowly sipping her remaining wine as she worked. She felt a twinge of regret that she hadn’t walked back to town with him. She would have loved to have extended the afternoon late into the night if she could have. But safety was important at this time. The long walk home, guardian or not, was probably not something Bridget should be doing on her own anymore.

After putting away the food and cleaning up her work books from the garden, Bridget made her way to the small desk near the fire. She pulled out her maps of Kiene and began looking for the perfect place for Royce to set up his home. She selfishly focused on the area surrounding her own property.
Thank you, Aishe!