The Jenova Cells

Moderator: Community Team

The_Cell

The Jenova Cells

Post by The_Cell »

We are better, those words echoed like a lingering dream never ceasing to repeat. Whenever it...she had been asked that is what she said. "We are better, stronger and faster. We learnt to adapt, so that we might survive and in the end we still yearn for the same cause." her words left her lips as softly as he intentions were to her, the remnants of the now dead Novajen had survived the fall into the fire's. Struggling to survive on a small mineral deposit known as Krystal Roses, it lay dormant until a traveller picked her up, until she touched the skin.

Like a firework her cells flew up, lunging onto the skin. Never did the host suspect a thing, not until it was too late at least. They traveled back to Widu, there the traveler lay the rose within a tomb. A few stragglers fell off the rose and sank deep into the ground from which they rose the dead, infecting the newly dead turning them into empty husks that would hunt the night. But not Jenova cells, no they were within the host which had set the Krystal Rose down. Doing what they did best, adapting, changing the host and eventually taking over.

Unlike the Novajen Cells, these did not cause madness nor paranoia. They quietly went about there business, patiently taking over the hosts system one by one. Sometimes the process would break down from cells becoming agitated or the hosts white blood cells noticing the intruder but it never lasted long, a mere nose bleed or a rash might appear. So what, those were normal occurrence nothing to pay attention to. The creator, the fallen mage had ensured that the Novajen cells would be self adaptive but only through shredding its old skin, survival of the fittest. Jenova had caught and eliminated the lesser Jenova cells that were within the dead husks, although many still eluded her it was still one less. But for every she killed, another two would rise. One day, she would be discarded which is why she had to continue to fight until only her cells and her future cells were the dominant force.

Jenova walked gracefully up to the temple, its color stained glasses shinning in the oppressive heat's sun, it didn't affect her much so long as she remained hydrated. If anything the heat made it easier to consume peasants, they were to tired, to dehydrated to properly run away from her. Such an innocent face and yet such a deadly sting, a smile crept up her face as it always did. Lingering, as the thought of a million Jenova cells all erupted at once. She let her mind slip away, flowing in a stream of thoughts forever yearning, for the reunion.
The_Cell

Re: The Jenova Cells

Post by The_Cell »

"My salvation is your destruction."

In order to survive, to adapt and evolve. She needed to consume live prey, to feed off their blood like a vampire, to steal away their nutrients and essentially there life. Although she could eat and drink like any normal human, she still preferred the more primitive and somewhat brutal absorption. It had an art to it, a signature style that only she would hold. As the cells of a victim were assimilated, her own would begin tearing the cells apart one by one, spreading like wild fire in a field until nothing but the cloths and skin were left.

Peasants made for a snack, lasting her a few days but never enough to allow her to evolve. The creatures that frequented the tavern never willingly gave their life away, at best she could hope for a few drops of blood but she had to be careful. A few still remembered Novajen, the calamity that fell from the sky, the curse that wished to infect all. Jenova wasn't like that, she'd learnt to be patient. To bide her time, play the innocent young girl. Some fell for it, others didn't it was an art that needed to be perfected but once she did, she would step by step infect person by person. Until they were enough for the reunion. If she were to be defeated once more then, the cycle would resume. A cell would survive, hitch a ride on a host and eventually rise forth from the ashes like a phoenix.

"Nothing else is so beautiful.." she muttered as she open the doors to the temple, her steps echoing in the great halls. She spied the room, lurking in the darker corners eyeing every peasant and steward that came. She spotted one that she liked. Young, raven haired steward. He knelt at the alter praying, all alone. The cycle would contuine, the jenova cells would adapt and learn. She walked over to him, mimicing his kneeling and praying. A small innocent smile as she turned her head ever so slightly to steal a look at him, a handsome young man. The man opened an eye and quickly looked away, blushing.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to intrude, I can pray else where if you like." she said softly. She watched as the boy shook his head, apologizing for something she didn't understand.

"No, please stay. It is my altar as much as it is your's...miss ?"

"Jenova.." she gave a teasing smile, her eyes narrowing slightly as she looked into the stewards eyes, lovely bright green eyes. "You have beautiful eyes." she said admiringly. The steward raised an eyebrow, scratching his chin then chuckled softly.

"Why ..umm haha thank you. Its the first time anyone has said they liked my eyes !"

"Well...there is a first time for everything..isn't there ?" she said with a wink.

The cycle would resume, every prey she had she would give them the chance to look at her in the eyes as she kissed their life away or tore them to assimilated them within the goo of cells. There was no pain, only the sensation of heavy eyes, sleepyness it was quiet a peaceful way to die. They never felt there organs shutting down, never felt the pain of her cells devouring theres. No, it was rather beautiful. Always hidden, in a dark alley way so none could see, or like today in the Temples confession booth, which were rarely used. It was interesting to Jenova, how the Novajen cells had never learnt to be seductive, to seduce a prey. Instead they had relied on outright fear but said fear had had it driven out.

She left the temple the very same hour, feeling refreshed and revived.
The_Cell

Post by The_Cell »

Her cells became agitated as she passed the tavern, it peeked her curiosity. She didn't enter, danger might be on the otherwise instead she peered through the window, gazing like a spy into the busy tavern. A few stood at tables minding their own business but one caught her attention as he eyes passed over him. Her cells screamed a warning of confusion through her system, she didn't understand. Part of her instinct told her to run whilst another urged her to kill. No, she wasn't Novajen. She was beyond that, better strong and faster.

Red hair, spiky and a bright smile but his smile was only partly true. It felt like he, wasn't who he was. He had traces of some being that she should despise and kill yet also run from. What was he, surely not another sent to destroy her ? It was highly doubtful, she'd been patient and very careful leaving only mysteries and no witnesses. No, this was different it was like her cells remembered him but only partailly. Something about his biological scent was imprinted into her, like a dream you try to recall but cannot grasp hold of. It drove her wild, she wanted to smash through the window and destroy it but as always the feeling to flee was stronger. So she took a deep breathe and walked away.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Teide had told him to look in at the Widuan tavern, so that was where he was heading. The trick would be to make sure he wasn't seen. If he was seen, he'd just go into the tavern and then pick a place frequented by the hive like creature and wait there for them... however, he could be particularly subtle when need be... if he didn't go to the tavern, but instead went somewhere near it...

“Sir, I have a slight problem.”

“Mages! What in the world are you doing here?”

Alder had meant to take up a place in the shadows within seeing distance of the tavern, using a different form. He had not expected to find his steward also here, and telling the boy about some problem he had. Great, just what he needed right now. Well, at least he hadn't shifted yet. That could have ended in disaster.

“Well sir-”

“And stop it with the sir thing.”

“Right. Sorry, I forgot Alder. Well, I was waiting outside Tricks and Giblets as you had told me to and... well si- um, Alder, when you left, I just followed you. See, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while. A friend of mine, Horace, another steward, you see, well... he has been missing for some time. I was wondering if I could have some time off to go try to find out what happened to him.”

“You'd really just go looking for him, just like that? What do you mean the do when yeh find em, huh? In fact, what do yeh think yeh could do that the guards couldn't? Hasn't this been reported like? Can't other people handle it better than you can? No offence like, but I honestly don't see what yeh can do about somethin like- wait... Horace yeh say?”

Two days earlier:

“I don't understand it. Just like all the others, he just disappeared, no trace of him. He went to confession one day and nobody saw him since.”

“Poor young man. If this is anything like the others, he'll turn up dead in a dark alley.”

“Oh shut up you. That's just you guessing. The other two were drunks... they probably just got into a fight.”

“And Alice?”

“She was always talking about leaving for Bravia... she probably just left without telling anybody.”

“That doesn't sound anything like Alice. She'd tell people.”

“Yes well, two drunks get killed and Alice disappears. They aren't linked... and even if they were, who'd listen to a bunch of us peasants?”

Discounted as always, Alder had heard this conversation whilst begging outside the temple. He hadn't really thought anything of it then, but...

“Lam- whatever your name is... did this Horace go off teh the church and then not come back?”

“Yes, but how did you-”

“Just a thought... um, tell me... do yeh know of two drunken guys who were found dead a little while ago?”

“Yes. They were always pushing around the wrong people.”

“What did they look like? What happened to them?”

“Well, there were no wounds... they were probably choked, only there weren't any hand marks on their throats... do we really have to go into this Alder? It really isn't the most pleasant of subjects.”

“Yes, we do... they had been killed, but there weren't any marks teh show it... no signs of a struggle? No signs of what they died of, other than that they were both healthy enough not teh have died from nothin? Could have been heart attack, but both of em? They just seemed teh stop working like?”

“Yes I suppose.” Lamar looked like he was going to be sick. He clearly didn't have the stomach for this. Alder was probably wrong on his thought process, probably just made paranoid by his talk with Teide, but what if he was right? His instincts for some reason seemed to be telling him that he was. Strange, they'd never told him anything like that before, just told him when he was in danger. His steward could be about to wade into something that he wasn't even slightly prepared for.

“L- something- ar”

“Alder, if you can remember Lam, and then L something ar, why can't you remember Lamar?”

“Don't ask me, that isn't important and I really don't know... I just say what I remember at any time... anyway... sure, take yer time off... but be careful ok? If anything ever comes up, you come teh me, got it? Oh, one more thing... what did Horace look like?”

“He was young, kind of raven haired, fair skinned, a bit skinny, green eyes... the kind of person who looks like he will go far if they meet the right person, if you know what I mean.”

Did Lamar look a little embarrassed as he said that? Oh well, that didn't matter. Alder could repeat that description with ease... a plan was already starting to take form in his mind.

“Alright... I think we're after the same thing, but I don't know for certain. If you really want to find out what happened, I can help you, but you're going to need to be prepared to risk your life for this... later though. For now, I want to figure out a few things. Get out of here, or you could muck everything up.”

Could it be connected? Could Jenova be behind these disappearances? It was a bit of a long shot, but if she was, Alder would really need to do something about it... if she was behind them though, he was impressed. Somehow, she had left only muttering peasants as evidence to even begin to show that something outside the ordinary had happened in these deaths. If he wasn't already involved, he wouldn't have thought much of it himself, so the guard would have almost certainly discounted them.

Well, he would find out whether she was or wasn't. Youken made a different plan as he regarded the tavern, still using Alder's form. Was that Jenova outside the tavern? Hmm, it might be about time he made a bit of a gamble. He really didn't have much to lose at this point, other than possibly the element of surprise, and for him, that was all too easy to gain back. She moved away from the tavern, looking like she had seen a ghost... how he could tell that at this distance, he had no idea. Oh well, that was another thing he would find out. Alder waited for a moment, and then set off towards her, making no attempt to conceal himself.

“Hey, Jenova! I've got an offer for yeh if yer interested!”
The_Cell

Post by The_Cell »

She had only taken a few steps, her thoughts still tugging at her when a familiar voice rang out. It surprised her at first but by the time she had turned around that surprise had left her, replaced with a child like curiosity as to whom it was. She used her hand to brush a few strands of hair aside and smiled as she saw the boy Alder, she waited a few minutes for him to approach her.

"You remembered my name, that is nice of you." she said, there was a pause as she thought. "What brings you to seek out a poor creature like myself ?"

She knew that this Alder, a mere boy as he might be. Was the apprentice of the Witcher and although the Witcher had gone into the wilds, this one still remained a threat and she knew why but on the other hand she wasn't one of the lesser's therefore why should she worry. "I hope you've had a nice day." she said, hands behind her back smiling girlishly.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Even if Alder had known what those gestures meant, and he didn't, he wouldn't have fallen for it... all the reaction that they procured from him was to get him to remember why he found young girls so weird... they kept doing things that he didn't see the reason behind... then again, he was weird, so maybe that was the reason for his confusion at them... an abnormal perspective and- stop it, mind on the job.

"Is it really all that weird that a guy hears a name and then remembers it? Don't answer that, you might know more about me than I bothered teh tell yeh and that would just be embarrassing for me as I would have teh try teh explain why I remembered your name and not everybody else's."

Great... nice work Alder... way to go making yourself inconspicuous and trying to hide that you had an interest in her... alright, calm down. She couldn't harm him so long as he had that weird necklace thing that Teide had given him and so long as she didn't have a weapon on her. Other than this slip of the tongue though, there was no indication shown of Alder's nervousness. Being a changeling, a being whose every breath revolved around pretending to be what he was not had some advantages now and then. The slip of the tongue probably just sounded like he was trying to make idle conversation, or else making a joke... in fact, it might actually serve his purposes if Jenova felt like he was currently no threat... he wasn't right now anyway...

Alder coughed, apparently self consciously as he had seen other boys do in his situation.

"Look, I don't suppose yeh know a guy called Horace? Raven haired guy, bit older than me, green eyes, good looks, ladies kept glancing at him... if yeh know what I mean... anyway, um... he was my steward until a while ago... and... well, he's kinda disappeared on me. Yeh know, off teh confession one day, never showed up for work the next. Probably just got tired of working the lazy [this description has been removed from the public eye for reasons that will remain only hinted at]... Always running off without finishing work... and I payed him good too... kinda worried about him actually... nice guy really, just never could keep his mind on anything. Anyway, the point is, I'm in need of a steward teh keep track of my stuff while I'm away, and well... I remembered nobody was hirin yeh for anything, so I thought I'd offer yeh the job since yeh needed the money last time we met like. It's fairly easy... just make sure the fields are kept in good health, and I'll split what I make from them with yeh... what do yeh say?"

In truth, Alder didn't care about whether she said yes or no. All he wanted to know about was how she reacted to his story about Horace. Without looking like he was doing it, Alder was taking note of her every movement, something that he had almost been a master at before receiving the necklace that Teide had given him. He was gauging each one, trying to see if there was a flash of recognition at the description of Horace, checking her for lies and truths...

As for the offer of the stewardship, well, firstly, he needed a reason for him to have noticed the man's disappearance, and secondly, he had just given his own steward a while off, so he did need a new one. This way, he could keep an eye on what Jenova did without looking too suspicious about it. If her movements started to correlate to where people were disappearing, he would just be left to figure out how she was doing it.
The_Cell

Post by The_Cell »

Her eyes narrowed slightly, what strange behavior from one such as him. He was still a mystery but he'd shown her some kindness when she was still learning, was he stalking her, was this what creatures deemed an admirer or prehaps he had more sinister thoughts. "Are you a Stalker ?" she asked rather casually. "Such interest in a poor creature like myself is ... not normal I'd say."

She listened to him as he spoke about a steward, she showed some concern but it didn't affect her. Not that she realized that the steward she'd devoured earlier that day was the same he was mentioning, she merely shrugged. "I've met many on the streets, some have dark hair...others green eyes but blonde hair... I can't say I'd be much help... did you pay this steward enough for there hard work" she pondered then grinned brightly. "Maybe you forgot it was his birthday and he is mad at you!" thats it, a bit of childish disregard would work just fine. She didn't care for such petty concerns but she needed to show that she cared if only a little.

She straightened herself and wiped some dust off her clothings, then stretched her arms until a click came from the makeshift joints. Feeling refreshed she looked at him with a childlike curiosity. "You are an odd one arn't you....but then I guess we all are..." she quietly said, "Is there anything else you want ?" there was something about him she noted, that was different. It felt different, the air around him maybe some sort of newly grown immune system. She didn't know but it did peek her curiosity some more, enough that she circled him. Slowly taking each step. "Maybe I should Stalk you..." she said softly.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Ok, that wasn't quite the reaction Alder had expected. She hadn't shown any sign of recognition of the description... which was a shame all things considered, because it told him nothing. Still, he worked with what he did have.

"Stalkin yeh? If I was doing that, yeh would have seen me a lot more or a lot less... like either I would have tried teh talk to yeh more than three times, or I woulda been far too shy teh talk to yeh at all like, right? No, I ain't been followin yeh around... and since when did offering somebody a job become more interest than normal?"

His eyes followed her as she circled and he let out a calculated sigh, as if to say 'alright, fine, here's the real story'. Alder placed his hand on Jenova's shoulder and locked eyes with her in an attempt to keep her attention.

"Look, yeh want the real reason behind me rememberin yer name and offerin yeh a job? Fine, fact is, I'm a street urchin, living off what I can pick up from what people throw away... and Widu's people really really irritate me... like it bugs me that somebody can be any different from anybody else just cause of how they look or what rumours are around them. Yeh say people won't give yeh jobs for some reason, and that gets on my nerves when almost anybody else can get one workin a field."

Alder was worked up to a full rant by now... after all, these were his real feelings, just manipulated to suit the context. As he spoke, he tried to hold Novajen's gaze. Really, the whole point of this rant was to hold her gaze, just try to take her field of view away from the half dozen beetles that had moved from his hand onto her shoulders with simple instructions... hide and report back on her movements. Alder's left eye twitched slightly towards Jenova's right as his sense of perspective was split between his own and the beetles that were crawling into the folds of her clothes to find a place where they would not be noticed. 'Whatever you do, don't look to your left now' he thought as he carried on talking as if nothing was happening.

"Well, that gets on my nerves... why shouldn't yeh be able teh if yeh are willin teh work? Why shouldn't yeh be able teh earn money like anybody else? So, when I have an open job, I go and see what I can do about this thing which is irritatin me like. So, do yeh want the job or not? Either way, I've done my bit teh try teh level the playin field, so yeh won't be gettin the offer twice. Basically, I had teh live picking up scraps for a very long time because nobody would give me a job, and now I have a chance teh stop somebody else from havin teh do so... take it or leave it."

Four beetles hid in folds on her sleeve, one hid in her hair, and one... since it couldn't find anywhere else to go, just tried to look inconspicuous, like there was no reason it shouldn't be on her arm. After all, there was nothing too weird about finding a bug on your arm.

Alder acted as if he hadn't heard her last comment... it didn't matter to him whether she followed him or not... he didn't really have much to hide that would show any more in private than in public.
The_Cell

Post by The_Cell »

Jenova smiled ever so faintly as he touched her shoulder, it was discomforting to have another touch her when she didn't wish it nonetheless she allowed it. She listened to his words but made nothing of them, in the end her care was only for herself and her survival. But she did hold the lingering thought, what was he after, what was he trying to accomplish. That is when she felt it, on her skin tiny legs crawling then coming to a halt. She maintained her gaze but soon found the intrusion an annoyance, was it a coincidence ? Her biological cells reacted to the intruder on her skin another agitation within the area of her head, she lost interest in Alder and picked the Beetle on her arm with two fingers, inspected it for a few seconds.

Her stare returned to Alder, Beetle still in hand. All she did was smile, smile as she ate the half of the beetle. With two swift crunches the beetle was no more, it would dissolve within her and its knowledge be a part of her. A message if he was guilty or merely an odd habit if he wasn't, however she left nothing to chance. "We apologies, like you we are poor and have no where to live, we eat what we must." she thought for a moment, she had picked up the old habit of saying we instead of I she instantly corrected herself. "I would like you to accompany me, let us walk to the training grounds."

Her cells contuined to remain agitated within the hair level, short as her hair was she discretely ran a hand through her hair, caught the beetle and tossed it too the ground, stepping over it a second later before it had a chance to flee. But she never sensed those hiding within her cloths, those were not part of her cells and thus were independent.
Silence

Post by Silence »

Alder was... unprepared for that response. Four beetles made a note not to step near her skin or hair, or touch anywhere on her body while the boy tried to figure out what he was supposed to be doing about this request. She had basically threatened him by purposefully eating that beetle... he knew from experience that they weren't worth the effort they took to chew with regard to sustenance, and were pretty tasteless. Because of that clear message 'if you have anything to do with that, I might just eat you too', Alder was a little reluctant to go off with her to some place on her terms. For a moment, he just stood there as if struck dumb, and then he realised that it might be best to... you know, say something so that it wasn't so obvious that he was thinking so hard about her request (or worse, her eating the beetle).

"All things considered, they don't taste that bad, but they're hardly something yeh'd find on a king's plate... and, yeh know they're hardly worth the effort it takes teh catch and eat em like. If yeh want food, I can show yeh a few places where there are enough rats teh keep yeh alive like... they probably taste better, 'specially if yeh can get em cooked... or there are a few guys in town who are so rich that they throw half their food out... if yeh can get teh that without anybody noticin, yeh've got yerself a meal... but ah..." he trailed off as he realised that she really ((I presume, I will change this if not)) wasn't interested.

He really couldn't think of any reason she would want to go specifically to the training grounds with her except if she wanted to duel him for some reason, or get him to show her a few tricks with a dagger. A death in a duel could look like an accident, but no... the arena master always stopped the duel before it went that far, and if she tried anything, it would probably be better for him than it would be for her... after all, she couldn't kill him in the arena and he couldn't be infected by her... if she tried though, he would learn a few things about her intentions.

"Err... I guess I don't have teh be doin anything right now... err, why? I mean, why the training ground like... ah, what the hell... yeah, sure... whatever."

At least this way, he could observe her without having to follow her quietly, right?

"There's probably some reason behind this that I don't get, but what the hell."

((This post was changed from its previous version... it basically means the same thing, but reads a lot easier.)).