Training with a legend....

Moderator: Community Team

Jandar

Re: Training with a legend....

Post by Jandar »

Jandar makes a mental note to stick to his well fitted gold leggings next time he enters the arena. He swears he hears a guffaw or two in the crowd as Aingeal engages him holding her staff in a well trained manner, much as he would if that had been his choice today. He instinctively moves into his normal guard position which unfortunately is for a blade one third the length of the longsword he is holding. Aingeal easily steps in past his clumsy guard smacking him on the leg hard enough to sting. Giving Aingeal a grin, Jandar grunts and replies to her.

Something tells me this is going to be more fun for you than for me, but we will see!

Hoping to catch her off guard he swings the flat of his longsword attempting to smack her on her derriere to teach a lesson, although she seems very alert so far>
Zuan

Post by Zuan »

He watched as the fight began, Aingeal getting the first hits in, as most would have expected given her reputation and skill, he wondered if Jandar would be able to counter the speed of Aingeal with his own attacks, or if this would end as a one sided display. He turned his attention back to Aida as she spoke again, attempting to keep his eyes on the combat below, and his mind working to respond to his Viceroy's comments. "Well what do you know, the Bercarian envoys wife is envoying more that he is then? Regardless, both Surxia and Bercaria remain at one another throats while embarrassing themselves at our court seeking out aid. As if we were so fool to sully ourselves into such a minor conflict, jeopardizing both our resources and neutrality for simple point scoring."

He raised an eyebrow as she commented on the attire of Jandar, hoping she was being satirical, then again she as wed to an orc, so different tastes quite clearly. He watched as Jandar sought to strike at Aingeal, believing as he threw his swing that Aingeal if on her guard would likely parry with an offensive move of her own. "You know, I would much enjoy to see a contest of more equal names, and perhaps a contest of more renown. You must write a letter to the Bravians about continuing discussions over a inter-nation dueling contest. It's high time we have a bit more to watch than one sided affairs such as these. Add a bit of gold and glamour, and we might well attract a large crowd too."
High King of The Fenians - Brother to Dahlia, Ambra, Trinity, Sera & Zhou
Aida

Post by Aida »

As she tilted her head again, catching some remark of Jandar's that was quickly lost in the wind, she laughed at the King's comment, much to the interest of a few minor nobles in the next box who appeared to be eavesdropping. Leaning over to drop the curtain between stands and ignoring their annoyed grumbling, she turned her attention back to the arena.

"Yes, indeed, but the gifts are apparently worth putting up with the scandal. Besides, everyone loves a bit of gossip."

She turned to gesture to her lady - who was flirting with one of court musicians - and bid her buy a pitcher of spiced wine to ward off the cold. Blowing on her hands and fidgeting to fight the chill, she nodded at the King's suggestion.

"You know, that's a very good idea. Some friendly competition will be good now the advent of Spring is here, chilly as it is today. And it will be nice to see familiar faces again, won't it?" She suggested, giving him a sideglance and a barely hidden smile.

She paused as her attendent handed her the hot pitcher, turning to pour herself and the King a cup, steaming in the slight cold with a rich, sweet smell.

"I'll draft a letter right away. It'd needn't even be just dueling, what do you think? Perhaps something for those that don't wish to fight also, a chance to win something shiny on equal ground. I'll have a think. But gold and glamour? Sounds good to me."
Aingeal

Post by Aingeal »

Jandar wrote:Something tells me this is going to be more fun for you than for me, but we will see!
Aingeal winced only slightly when her staff connected with Jandar's thigh, then took a step back. Now this could be fun for the both of us, she said with a smile, leaning on her staff. Glancing up in the stands she saw the King and Aida conversing. Her attention diverted she sidestepped quickly, and the flat of his sword grazed her arse, and she spun to face him grinning. Is that the best you got? Even Amara can hit better than that! Aingeal taunted. Of course Amara wasn't even two summers old yet, but already she had started her with her own staff, much to Anessen's chargrin she supposed. Aingeal's father put a dagger in her hand as soon as she could walk, and Aingeal would do the same.

Of course she had noticed how Jandar was walking, oddly at that, and he seemed uncomfortable with his weapon. He was quick, but she was quicker, stepping within his attack range, curling inside his arm so the there was no way for the sword to hit her. Nothing hindered her as her clothes were skin tight, and she was able to get close. Why didn't you bring something you were comfortable with? she teased, before quickly exiting his range, slightly grazing him on his arm with a grin.

Surely you aren't afraid to hit a girl? Aingeal teased. I assure you, even Anessen is willing to get his licks in when we are dueling.... and if he can fight his own wife, surely you at least try..... Aingeal watched him carefully, waiting for his next attack.
Last edited by Aingeal on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother to Amara, Wife to Anessen, Guard of Fenia
Lexi

Post by Lexi »

The duel had already begun by the time Lexi hurried into the arena, and she cursed and muttered under her breath about her own tardiness. Being late was something she could not abide, so to be guilty of the same left a bitter taste in her mouth. She had chosen a dress of deep red. The bodice hugged her curves to the hip, at which point the skirt billowed slightly, hiding the rest of her silhouette.

The haste with which she had travelled to reach her current destination had brought a flush to her cheeks and a thin film of perspiration across her skin, causing stray tendrils of dark hair to cling to her face. Brushing them back in an attempt to tame the unruly strands, she glanced around to find a quiet place to discreetly sit. She noticed the King and Aida sat in seemly deep conversation while keeping an eye on the fight. Settling herself down, she set her attention on the duel, thankful it only appeared to be in its early stages.
Aida

Post by Aida »

She grinned to herself as she watched Aingeal's light teasing, tilting her to head to watch her well-placed steps. She was good - very good - and Aida couldn't help but feel a small amount of envy at her expertise. Perhaps she should spend more time in the arena after all. About to share this thought with the King, she took a sip of her spiced wine and paused as a striking figure in red cut through the crowd.

"Oh!" She exclaimed quietly, "I believe that's a familar face."

Turning her head slightly, she gestured for her attendent - who was still flirting with one of the court musicians, only more covertly now - to go and approach the woman with an invitation. Miya nodded, slightly sheepishly, and began to make her way down the stand towards Lexi. She watched as her attendent made a slight curtsey and asked her, in her polite way, to join the Vicereine and the King in the box.

"Miss Lexi, Lady Aida invites you to come and sit with her in the box just above. Would you like to follow me up?"
Lexi

Post by Lexi »

Observing Aingeal's skill in the arena, Lexi felt an admiration for the woman. She had been nothing but kind and helpful to Lexi since her arrival in Fenia, and as such, her bias meant Lexi was hoping for a victory for her friend.

Distracted as she was by attempting to fix her hair, while keeping an aye on the duelling below, she was almost oblivious to the woman who approached her. She did not know the woman, nor recognise her face, but it appeared Lexi herself was known, for she was called by name. "Miss Lexi, Lady Aida invites you to come and sit with her in the box just above. Would you like to follow me up?" Lexi's eyes widened momentarily, briefly taken aback. "Oh, um...yes...thank you," she said quitely with a polite smile.

Lifting her skirts slightly in one hand to avoid tripping, Lexi began to ascend the stairs after the woman, toward the box above, and tried once more to fix her hair before giving up with a frustrated sigh. The unruly locks always had a mind of their own and were rarely tamed. The woman gestured for her to enter the box, and Lexi did so cautiously, a small smile on her lips. "Your Highness," she said with a nod of greeting to the King before turning to Aida, her smile widening. "My Lady Aida, thank you for the invitation."
Aida

Post by Aida »

Aida smiled brightly as the woman - her neighbour and new friend - approached, and she pulled out a seat for her to join them.

"Lexi, you've been briefly aquainted with our dear monarch already, I believe. This is His Royal Majesty, King Zuan. Your Majesty, this is a Miss Lexi of Fenia City, whom I believe you've already spoken to a little. Would you like something to drink?"

She poured some of the steaming spiced wine from the pitcher herself, keeping an eye on the developing fight below.

"I think you've met Aingeal too, right? She's one of the most experienced politicians and fighters in these lands. And of course down there is Jandar, Marquess Whitemarch. He's the mayor of Imperius, and on the privy council as well. Perhaps you'll get to meet him sometime, he's an excellent mayor and councilor. Not to mention a gentlemen, also, and Mages know there are few of those around, wouldn't you agree, Your Majesty?"
Zuan

Post by Zuan »

His focus turned towards the fight, he did not notice Aida sending down her servant, to call up someone from the lower balconies, yet he found his attention swayed as the servant returned with a woman in red. His eyes darted over her, and then towards her face, as he proceeded to bow her head slightly in greeting. He did not respond however, after all it was custom, that the noble who invited the guest to the stand was required to introduce their guest to those around them, yet he could not help but offer the faintest of smiles towards the woman as Aida did indeed make the introductions. At which point he inclined his head in her direction, raising another half smirk before speaking. "Lady Lexi, you are most welcome here, as a guest of the Countess, it is fine to see more faces here at this event, and so I do bid you welcome, and invite you to enjoy this occasion with us both."

He lent back into his highbacked chair as the conflict continued, listening to Aida give an almost dictionary like definition of the individuals currently clashing upon the sands. He couldn't help but offer a smile as Aida continued to mention the term of gentlemen and ask for his opinion. He took a deep swig from his goblet of wine, raising an eyebrow before finally speaking."My good lady,I know you are one who prefers the might of the parchment to the blade, but if one is to pick between being a gentlemen and a fighter, would one not want to be the fight? After all, how many favors does one win in an arena if his blade is blunt, and he's carted out by horses too dazed to stand? In my years I have fought wars and rebellions, and naught but my blade would be able to talk sense to them. So you're right, there are few gentlemen, that is because most are now dead, due to the fact they could not defend themselves from ruffians." He realized how severe his comment sounded by that point, and so quickly offered a jovial grin before saying. "But fear not M'lady Aida, M'lady Lexi, if swords should be drawn on this most unlikely of days, I will do all within my power and skill to protect you both, you have my word."
High King of The Fenians - Brother to Dahlia, Ambra, Trinity, Sera & Zhou
Aida

Post by Aida »

Sipping her wine to hide her growing smile as she listened, her eyes crinked slightly at the sides at the King's assessment of the need for gentlemen in such a world as this. Setting her cup down, she shook her head in amicable disagreement.

"Well, I would say that a man can be both a gentlemen and a fighter! Take my dear husband, for example. Lycan and hunter, those who regard him almost always see him as being able to talk with naught but his blade. And yet he still finds the time everyday to be a perfect gentlemen to me, from sharing his hunt, to sharing his time and a listening ear. Whilst it might seem in certain circles that kindness and courtesy are tools for the weak, I say it's exactly the opposite. One does not need to pick, and there is nothing stronger in my eyes than a man or a woman who maintains their dignity, gentleness and humility despite the brutality of the world around them."

She laughed at his final comment, flicking a grape towards him goodnaturedly, "Oh, don't answer that last part, Lexi. You'll give him an even bigger head! And I'll have you know my parchment can be extremely sharp, my poor fingers are oft covered in papercuts."

Still, her gaze softened imperceptibly as she regarded him. It was true they had had their disagreements - even arguments - in the past, but as time went on their mutual love for Fenia had drawn them back towards compromise. Perhaps he did not know how far she really believed her words - and Mages knew she would never tell him - but there was no swordsmanship or skill of his with a weapon she admired of him more than his ability to listen. To take the comments of a simple potato farmer, as she had been back then, and to keep on taking those comments even in days strained.

Turning back to Lexi, she gave her a wink, "But there, now you know. Our dear King will protect you personally, should any ruffian come to threaten you in the night. Isn't that gentlemenly of him?"