[ORP] First Job in Paz

Moderator: Community Team

Kolrim

[ORP] First Job in Paz

Post by Kolrim »

There were plenty of travelers arriving and departing the town of Paz this day. Enough various sorts that the lone Dwarf with a small pack of belongings was hardly worth noticing at all. His granite colored eyes took in the sights of what may come to be his new hometown. His clothes were travel worn and dusty and his long, black braided beard and hair was not as clean as he would like. As much as he would have liked to address that problem, he had a more pressing matter to deal with. So, unlike the other travelers, Kolrim's first stop was not an Inn or Tavern so to rest from his travels. Instead, the Dwarf queried the locals he met as to where he could find work. He wasn't out of Freznics yet, but if he didn't find work soon he would quickly be unable to feed himself. He was directed to a job board where people in need of workers of any sort could post details about the job and the amount they were willing to pay. There were a number of different jobs posted on the board, but one that stuck out to him for no particular reason was a post by someone named Nikola who was looking for someone to work on their field.

Kolrim was not lacking anything that maybe required for hard labor. While only standing at four feet and two inches tall, Kolrim was built like a boulder. Broad, even by dwarf standards, he was about as wide as two skinny people standing next to each other and his arms were thick cords of muscle. Being over 300 years old (which is still young for a Dwarf), he had spent most of his time doing one type of hard labor or another. One of his favorites had been a miner. And he had even spent a decade on a Dwaven farm, though that was when he was really young. Not even a century old at the time.

"Hrmmm...." he sighed as he tugged on his beard absently while he read the details. The pay was decent compared to other jobs he could potentially take from the board. He nodded once to himself as he made up his mind, then ran one heavily callused finger over the directions to the owner. Memorizing the address, he asked a few locals for directions and started to make his way to Nikola's house. His pace was like his attitude to life. Steady, measured and unhurried. So many other folks feel a need to rush about. Just adds unnecessary stress to his mind. It did not take him too long to find the house he sought even though it was located at the edge of town. Paz did not seem to be overly large, which was something that Kolrim appreciated. Though it would be better underground. he thought to himself. After finding the house in question the burly Dwarf approached and knocked thrice. He then took a step back and waited for an answer.
Iris

Re: [ORP] First Job in Paz

Post by Iris »

At the sound of a knock on the door, both Nikola and Iris looked up from their breakfast. Both heads turned to the door, then back to exchange a questioning look. Without a word, Iris rose, went to the door and opened it to find a young dwarf standing on the stoop. From the look of him he had been on the road for some time and she could not recall having seen him before.

”Yes?” the Steward asked simply, wondering why a dwarf would be at their door, and at this time of day. She wondered whether he was just passing through or might perhaps be a messenger from elsewhere dispatched to speak with her lady, Nikola.
Kolrim

Post by Kolrim »

Kolrim understood that he didn't exactly look his best at the moment, but if they were looking for field labor his appearance shouldn't be much of a factor in getting the job. When the door opened he gave a small nod of respect to the woman who answered the door and towered over him. Humans being ridiculously tall was something he had gotten used to a while ago. Still causes a crick in me neck if I talk ta them for too long though..., he thought to himself.

"Good morn to ye." He said briefly before cutting to the reason he was there. He wasn't one for beating around the bush. "I be lookin' for work an' saw a post in town regardin' field work. Do ye be Nikola?" Having not stopped by an inn nor tavern, he was unaware of Nikola's reputation both here in Paz as well as throughout Bravia. He was also unaware of what she looked like.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Curious, Nikola had quietly followed Iris to the door, hanging back a bit so the steward would not suspect her of not trusting, but close enough to hear the unfamiliar voice. As the visitor inquired about a job he had seen posted in town, she saw Iris stiffen her back a bit and grimaced. Iris normally took care of such things as field hiring and got a might touchy when she did not know that Nikki had taken care of it herself.

“I am Nikola,” she announced to her visitor, stepping around beside Iris and speaking before the older woman could respond. “This is my steward, Iris.” She gave the woman an apologetic smile and addressed her briefly before turning her attention back to the dwarf on her stoop.

“I am sorry, Iris. I forgot to tell you I had posted the field job last night on my way home. I had noticed the field was ready for harvest and knew you would be in the bakery all day today and thought I’d save you a trip by posting it myself. I forgot to mention it, didn’t I?”

Iris gave her a stern look, but the twinkle in her eyes told Nikki that there were no hard feelings, but there might be mischief later so she’d best watch her step. With a more relaxed smile she peered back down at her visitor.

“I have a wheat field in need of harvesting,” she verified in response to his inquiry. “The job is yours if you want it,” she added with a smile. “We are just finishing up our breakfast. Have you broken your fast yet today?”

She avoided Iris’ gaze, feeling the disapproval and not wanting to face it. Vicerine she might be, but Iris could be a formidable woman when she was in her protective mode. “I don’t believe I have seen you around town yet, although that may be because I don’t get out much these days. Are you new to Paz or just passing through?” She stood aside and made an inviting sweep of her hand as she spoke, still carefully avoiding eye contact with Iris.
Last edited by Nikola on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kolrim

Post by Kolrim »

Kolrim saw the reaction the woman who had answered the door had. It seemed a bit odd for her to become offended at his inquiry and he quirked an eyebrow as he started to form an apology and double check that he was at the right place. Before he had gotten even the first syllable out another woman interjected and introduced herself as Nikola. She then apologized to the first woman, Iris, for posting the job notice. Seemed an odd thing to apologize for to the dwarf. If it be savin' time in gettin' th' job done... then where be th' offense? Ah well. None o' my business.

Nikola then said that he could have the job, if he wanted it. That made him grin. If I did no want th' job why would I be here askin' about it! But he simply said, "Aye. I be wantin' th' job." Had to remain respectful to his employer, and you could never tell what might make a human mad. At least, untill you got to know them somewhat. She then asked if he had broken fast yet. "No, but don' let that worry ye. I did desire to first find employment. An' in case you be wonderin', I don' be needin' food ta sustain meself fer th' work ahead. We dwarves are sturdy folk an' one missed meal will not be slowin' me down." He grinned again at the end of this statement and combed his fingers through his black beard idly while he was enjoying the conversation. Been a bit since my last relaxin' chat.

Nikola then asked him if he was new to the town of Paz then stood aside to allow him to enter her abode. He nodded his head as soon as she asked the question, then walked casually through the doorway. He took in the appearance of the entryway to her home as he answered her question. "Aye. I be lookin' fer a new home an' been thinkin' this may be a good one. I'm not too fond o' large townships." He reminded himself of what he had seen on the way here. "Paz be my kinda size." He grinned again and winked at the implied joke. He did not joke often, but he felt that the timing was good and the self depreciating part of it was a nice touch. "Now, down ta business. Is th' payment negotiable?" he asked as he folded his arms.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola watched the dwarf enter her home, noting that he was taking in his surroundings as well he might. She hoped he was one of those honorable dwarves, but he did not have the look of the thief so she believed he was. Not that thieves had any particular look about them, but there was always something off about them and this dwarf seemed solid and true.

She grinned at his little joke, letting him know she caught the implication but decoded not to pursue that line of conversation since she did not know him well enough to know whether he would appreciate anyone else joking about his size. Instead, she responded with her view on Paz.

”Paz is a quiet little town indeed. I rather like it that way. We have some very solid wonderful folk here. I would love to introduce you to some of them if ever we get the chance. At any rate, I do hope you enjoy your stay here and if you choose to remain, then welcome indeed!”

Suddenly he turned all business and wanted to negotiate the payment. She shared a glance with Iris who looked about to explode, but she calmed at once when Nikki gave a slight shake of her head. Well, not exactly calm, but fumed quietly in the background rather than railing at the young dwarf as Nikki knew she wanted to. Addressing the dwarf, she quirked an eyebrow as she made to answer his inquiry.

”Master dwarf, the wage has already been set and it will remain as it is. Iris normally takes care of the hiring,” and firing, she did not say, ”…and that is the wage we agreed to pay. It is more than I am allowed to pay her and she does so much for me every single day. If you have need of assistance such as food or shelter, I’m sure we can help arrange something, but I’m afraid I simply cannot pay more at this time.”

She rarely had much in her accounts at any given time, tending to pour what little she amassed back into the Viceroy or the town so that she frequently found herself short on cash when things needed tending to. She really should let Iris have full control of the finances, but she hated to give that heinous task to her Steward along with everything else the woman did for her.
Kolrim

Post by Kolrim »

Kolrim was unaware of Nikola's brief concern of thievery, but she needn't worry. He was honorable and the thought of theft was alien to his mind. He did, however, see the grin that crossed Nikola's face as she caught his joke. He thought it looked good on her. She was attractive... for a human. He thought well of her description of Paz and it's residents. He would have to try and take her up on that offer of introductions at some time.

Kolrim quirked his eyebrow briefly at the response he got to a simple offer to haggle. Especially from the way Iris looked ready to attempt to chew his head off. Gettin' worked up so readily will be sendin' her ta an early grave... 'course, all humans go ta their graves early. He thought to himself briefly. He had expected a negative response, but not quite to this extent. Allowed ta pay? Seemed odd to him that Nikola couldn't pay Iris whatever she wished, but that was their business.

The dwarf raised both of his calloused hands in a placating manner and was about to apologize for offending them, even if it was unintentional, when Nikola offered him 'assistance'. It smacked of charity to him and his back stiffened as his pride was stung. He frowned, then said "I be no freeloader!" He quickly realized that he may lose out on this job opportunity and for a moment considered if his pride was worth it. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He owned his eyes and said in a much calmer tone "I did mean no offense. I'd be happy ta take th' job as posted."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Surprised by the dwarf’s reaction, Nikki was taken aback, not quite sure how to respond. He seemed to get control of his temper, though, and agreed to take the job. Nikki wondered what she had said that may have offended him and mentally rehearsed their conversation in an attempt to pinpoint the cause of offense. The last thing she had done was to offer him assistance if he needed, which most folk were happy to accept. She realized she did not know any other dwarves and so had no reference for understanding them. It was clear, however, that offering assistance appeared to offend this dwarf’s sense of honor. She wondered whether all dwarves were so touchy, or just this one. She made a mental note to take care in how she made offers in the future with dwarves and hurried to try to diffuse the situation.

“My apologies…” she paused, realizing she did not know his name. “I don’t believe I caught your name, but I do apologize for any offense as none was intended. Iris, please make a bacon sandwich for our new hired hand, please.” This last was requested of her steward before she turned back to the dwarf, dispensing with pleasantries since that seemed to be getting her into trouble and opting to simply be "in charge." “You may eat the sandwich, save it for later or throw it away as it pleases you, but I will not allow my hirelings to go hungry while on the job if I have the means to feed them. I take care of those who work for me whether they need it or not.”

She gathered her things and placed them in a pack which she slung over her shoulder. Iris returned with the sandwich at that point and offered it to the dwarf.

“I will show you to the field on my way out as the lane goes right past the barn and I am already running later than I’d planned this morning.”

She stepped out the door and held it open, waiting for the dwarf to follow her out.