NotJack's Mudhut

Moderator: Community Team

NotJack

Re: NotJack's Mudhut

Post by NotJack »

He grins.

"I would be delighted to!"

"Just let me grab something first."

He scrapes a large wad of clay out of the floor, speaks to it, and plops it into one of the empty cups.

"Alright, I'm ready to go," he says.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Watching Jack grab the clay and speak to it, she thinks that imps are among the oddest creatures she has ever met. But she also considers the fact that Jack might just be an odd imp, and that not all imps should be judged by the actions of one.

With a smile and a bounce she turns and exclaims in the most chipper of voices, "I'm so glad you'll come! We'll make a quick stop at the market and be at my house in no time!"
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack was in the mines one sunny day. This was a job he did not mind performing because, in the mines, it was unnecessary for one to hide one's face as no one could see it in the light. He also liked the repetitive task of slamming a mattock into the stone wall until flecks of gold , stone, or whatever mineral began coming out, chiseling around it as though he were some master craftsman, and, also, of thinking of all these things whilst doing so.

So it was around this time of mindless swinging (and then latter chipping) when his tool struck something and bounced back. Now, usually it only did this when he hit something relatively important, so he cleaned out the area with his chisel, but saw neither stone nor gold, but some rare hue. He held the candle closer and saw a burst of color like glass.

Slamming a mattock into a piece of glass should have destroyed it, and the foreman had not mentioned anything of this type (or had he? Maybe Jack should pay more attention). So Jack carved out around the object allowing the chunk of gilded glass to fall into his satchel. He continued to collect materials, returning those at the surface to the foreman, but he kept the glass wrapped in his quilt.

Upon returning home, NotJack washed the glass in the river to see that the item shone and sparkled like a star and was a beautiful if hazy blue. He was awed by the nature of this object and took immediate fancy to it. Having little experience with objects of this kind it was several days before Jack decided this would make a nice fixture to add above his doorway. Scattered light refracted through the glass in the early evening turning the inside of his hut soothing shades ranging from midnight blue to light aqua-green. It brought him a great deal of peace and he felt a certain pride in owning such a shiny object.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Returning home one evening, Jack noticed that the flag on his mailbox was up. He saluted it.

Walking past the mailbox, he noticed that there was paper sticking out of it. He pulled the paper out and hoped that today was one of those days where reading would not be an issue.

He sat down inside his hut and opened the letter. There was nice flow-ey handwriting. So far, this was not a good sign. Well, time to figure out what was going on....

"Ehem. t-t- (oh, what's this letter) "Duh", um, "EE", "Ah, "RR"."

He thought about this for a second. He had been able to read so vividly only weeks ago and was wondering what the issue was today. It could have had something to do with the intelligence tonic he swallowed just before opening the last envelope, but he seriously doubted that.

"Duh-EE" "AhRR".... "D-ee" "Arr".... "Dee Arr".... "Arrrrrrrr?""

Clearly this was the work of pirates. He sighed and did his best to read the next line.

"N-No- no, sorry, Not... Not-ch-ch-JACK! NotJack! That's my name!"

This was starting to be exciting, pirates were trying to contact NotJack! What pirates? He didn't recall knowing any pirates, so maybe they had the wrong NotJack. It wouldn't be polite to read someone else's mail and it may be downright hazardous when pirates were involved. Looking around, carefully, Jack ducked into a corner facing the door and the window, threw his quilt over his head and tried to make out the rest of the letter there.

We'll come back in a couple hours....

After quite some time picking words in the dark and a process which involved drawing pictures in the floor (because he kept forgetting some of the words after he read them), he managed to determine that the letter had something to do with his stained glass. He made up his mind to have a proper talk with the letter's author (who was fortunately Maria, and probably not a pirate-- unless the mayor had some dark secret he didn't know about) about this mysterious turn of events.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack stepped out of his hut and started making bricks of clay. He built a large structure removed from his house, near the swamp. He bought some ceramic pipes and created a line leading from a fresh-water spring to his new clay building.

Everything was looking nice:

Yes, this would be a very good bread-oven.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

NotJack had not left his hut for a while, spending time by the river-bank baking bread (does that sound off to anyone else?). He had heard that the town was in need of bread and even if the cakes did smell slightly of the bog, he was sure people would appreciate them.

He had also received numerous inquiries regarding his stained glass window, however he still didn't understand the value in it. He stepped outside to gaze at the light reflecting off the sapphire, then back inside to see the room bathed in a blue hue.

Well, perhaps others wanted a stained glass window, too....
Maria

Post by Maria »

One afternoon on a beautiful fall day, Maria was home baking brownies for Datron when she remembered that she promised NotJack she would stop by his house to discuss the blue stone. Thinking that she had at least an hour before Datron arrived home, she put some of the brownies in a basket and headed into the forest.

As she approached the mud hut, she noticed the large oven outside and the smell of warm bread baking.
"He's certainly been busy since the last time we met!" Maria admired the handiwork and the size of the oven before going to the house and knocking on the door.

"Hi Jack, are you home?"
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

[OOC: Thanks Maria :P]

"Hijack my home?"

Naturally, this was a curious suggestion, Jack had to see what was going on. Stepping outside the hut he saw Maria, it took him a minute to put the pieces together (mostly because he had forgotten her interest in his stained glass window). He bowed, as best as he was able to and offered her a piece of one of his rather flat pieces of bread.

"Good morning miss mayor, what brings you to my humble house this afternoon? Are you looking for more bread?"
Maria

Post by Maria »

"Your bread smells wonderful, Jack. And the loaves I bought last time were so delicious! But today I have something to give you that I baked." She hands him the basket. "They're brownies, chewy and sweet. I hope you like them... And I thought that maybe we could talk about that lovely blue stone you found."

Maria hopes that he's not allergic to chocolate. It would be a terrible thing to bring someone a gift that causes them to break out in hives. She thinks that next time she'll make sugar cookies, just in case.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack looks at the "brownies" a little confused. So these were those little mud-bricks that the people in town were eating at the barbecue. If Maria insisted they were good, he would have to try them. He reaches for a brick to put it in his mouth before he remembers his manners-- what did his mother always say? Right, right, always keep your tail out of your soup. Very well-- oh, wait, no....

"Thank you Mistress Maria," he says with a bow, then acting on something else he remembered set the brownies aside to ponder her next question.

"Blue stone...," he says, obviously unaware that the object in question is just above his head. He recalls finding green, tan, grey, even black and mossy stones in the river....

Quite forgetting the detail at hand, he looks up to admire his stained-glass window when the realization strikes him. (HA! You probably thought the stone would strike him first!)

"OH! You mean my stained-glass window, yes?" he asks, "I found this while mining, it is very nice indeed. Perhaps you want to know where to get one? You have to go to the mine and... what was it I did... You have to wash your hands!"

Well, what he said was close, I'm imagining there were a few other steps as well, likely involving a pickaxe, but I digress.

"Is very nice window and it would look good on Maria's house, too, I think," he says.

It is, of course, little surprise that such a simple creature could never fathom-- by himself-- the significance of the object he found. Well, at least he's using it as a window....