NotJack's Mudhut

Moderator: Community Team

Maria

Re: NotJack's Mudhut

Post by Maria »

Maria looks up at the pretty stained glass window and giggles. In his impish innocence, Jack was an endearing creature. "It certainly does look beautiful, with the sun shining through it like that. Maybe you have decided to keep it then? They are actually quite valuable Jack, and you can get a nice amount of freznics for it. But can you put a price on such beauty?"

She watches him, looking for any sign of an allergic reaction.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack nibbles on a brick and finds it quite tasty despite the fact that it looks like mud. He'd like to eat the whole thing real fast, but decides to avoid stomach aches-- for now.

"This is valuable? Why, Maria, does everyone want stained glass windows?"

He considers the possibility of selling the window, not so much to increase his own wealth but because of what the window might be.
Maria

Post by Maria »

"Well, most people want the... errr... stained glass windows... because they can be transformed into something very valuable called a gem. Now by themselves, gems aren't very useful. But if you take a weapon and adorn it with a gem, it's magical indeed! It becomes more powerful than anything seen in this world so far and turns the wielder into a superhero or something. Of course, no one has actually done this yet... but this is what is rumored to happen."

Watching him eat the brownies, she is relieved that he is not turning red or passing out. But then she realizes that she may have just talked him out of selling the gem.

"On the other hand, if the rumors are wrong and the gem adorned weapons don't turn you into a superhero... they are likely to be worth nothing at all except a beautiful addition to a window."
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack's eyes widen as she mentions the the special power of gems. He had not realized he held such a valuable object, but it seemed Maria wanted it. He stopped eating for a second.

"Maria is the mayor, she is good," he said out-loud, "I'm sure if Maria wants a gem, she wants it for a good reason...."

His mind turned to what a clever imp may be able to do with a gem and the ideas were intriguing indeed. He nibbled another brownie as he thought, weighing in what manner he could his own self-enjoyment versus the good of the town. He recalled Maria's advice to only perform good tricks....

"I think I can sell this gem to Maria," he said at last.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Knowing that a million thoughts were running through the feisty imp's mind, Maria wondered if the talk of being a super hero would sway his decision.
NotJack wrote: "I think I can sell this gem to Maria,"
Gasping in surprise, Maria smiled from ear to ear. "Oh thank you Jack! You will be well paid for it. And there is so much you can do with the money. You might even consider reaching the next level and learning the way of the Sorcerer, Priest or Army General. Or perhaps you'll want to learn about the government and study the State Way books. The money you get for the stained glass window will help you get there. And talk about magic! The Sorcerer is the master of magic spells. There are all kinds of fun things that you can study."
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

Jack nods thinking how interesting it would be to be the first member of his family to become learned.

"OK, then Maria, we have a deal."

(Discussing rest off forum :P)
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

fsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*POP*

It has been several months and quite a few stain-glass window sales later, but NotJack finally found himself on the path to being a sorcerer and has been practicing in his back-yard firing small sparks from his fingertips. Occasionally, they ignite pockets of bog-gas into brilliant and multicolored explosions delighting all onlookers (you know, snails, frogs, tasty bog things).

"Yahaha!"

He laughs in delight at his magic.

"I'm the best!"

That's debatable.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

"Listen! Listen!"

Who was making that noise?

Jack looked groggily out the window, but didn't see anything, so he lay back down.

"In the lake, up the river, down the stream!"

There was the tinkering sound of mystical laughter. Maybe the Will-o-the-Whisps where acting up?

Jack crawled to the door and peered out, then withdrew inside wide-eyed and blushing.

"Joyous day, a miracle, come and see!"

Nymphs.... They weren't being particularly careful either, must be something exciting going on.

Jack ground some bitters and thistle together into a bowl and mixed it in quickly with a dram of bog-water and some enchanted salts-- just to be sure.

He swallowed the whole potion quickly.

"Sisters! Come and see!"

He ran out the door, hoping for the best,

"Come and see what??" he croaked.

The potion had worked, the nymph's charms were not affecting him. However, the moment they saw him, they jumped into the water and disappeared, giggling again.

"See what?" he muttered.

Jack sat on a stump for a minute creating spark-balls in his hands trying to recall any lore that could help him. Well.... there was one thing.

He walked into the forest for a few minutes until he found a tree, flourishing surprisingly well in the underbrush and covered in butterflies. He walked up to it and kicked the tree... hard.

The butterflies flew away, but nothing else happened. He raised his hoof again to kick the tree when a voice spoke out from the bark:

"Alright! Fine! What do you want?"

"Dryad! What are they going to see?"

"What are who going to see you stupid toad?

"Those Nymphs, what are they going to see?"

The tree-- or more appropriately, the dryad inside sighed.

"I don't know, I wasn't invited, but if you mean the giggling swarm that came by here a moment ago, rhyming about miracles probably a baby."

NotJack's eyes widened. Tantalizing.... The Dryad seemed to realize her mistake as well. The bark-colored wood-nymph leaned, then stepped out of her tree attempting to break the imp's focus.

"No, no! It could be a new spring! Or maybe someone built a grotto! Oh...."

The dryad tried to use a charm to placate his mind, but the potion was still having its effects.

"I wonder where? It must be close, right?"

"Oh, no, it's very far away," the dryad lied, "It would take you months to get there and by the time you did it wouldn't be a baby anymore. Best to wait around for a baby to snatch."

Jack arched a brow.

"No, no, no, NotJack does not want a baby. NotJack just wants to play with the baby, you see?"

No, she did not.

"Err.... I'm sure you'll find some playthings soon," said the dryad, weaving a spell into her palm.

She blew into it her palm and some bright purple butterflies came out, flying back toward Jack's hovel.

"Oh! Look, butterflies!" she shouted in feigned excitement, "Why don't you go catch them?"

Jack forgot all about the baby and set off to chase the butterflies. The day was saved... for now.
Gideon

Post by Gideon »

Gideon watched the imp chasing the butterflies, trying not to laugh he wondered what would be the best way to introduce himself, deciding to just call out to the imp.
"Hey! You there!"
Gideon frowned, he seemed to have forgotten to put his name in there, perhaps his new duties were frying his brain
"My name is Gideon, I'm the new mayor of Paz"
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

NotJack stopped flat, which was unfortunate as he was waist deep in the swamp. His first thought was that the butterflies were introducing themselves, but that didn't make sense, butterflies never introduced themselves before.

He turned to look around and saw a human standing around introducing himself as Gideon, the new mayor.

This was embarrassing, the new mayor was here and a human and here Jack was still in ugly-imp form.

Wide eyed and excited, he turned to face the mayor and bowed in the middle of the swamp. After he pulled his face from the water he introduced himself.

"I'm NotJack, the sign ((up the path)) probably told you that."

There was an over-abundance of glee in his tone, he didn't even try to conceal it.

"I am pleased to meet new mayor, has mayor come by for visit? I just woke up."

He took a deep breath, OK, this was a bit scary, a human was here, he had to impress him, and his house was a wreck. As a note, his house was a wreck the minute he built it.

[OOC: Sorry if you aren't a human Gideon, I went based on the profile. Imps freaking love humans.]