[Discussion] The buying habits of the TH and market prices

Moderator: Community Team

Gideon

[Discussion] The buying habits of the TH and market prices

Post by Gideon »

A citizen of Paz has brought their concerns to me about the buying habits of the town hall and some of the prices on the market, as a friendly and democratic sort of fellow I thought it best to open a discussion then set up a vote and let the decision of the people bind me into action, or inaction as it were.
Now, here is question number 1, do you consider the prices of certain goods on the market too high?
And question two is, would you rather the town hall not buy your goods the day, or the day after they are placed on the market?
Phillerpuff

Re: [Discussion] The buying habits of the TH and market pric

Post by Phillerpuff »

I think to give personal transactions a chance where folks have worked out a price, that the th give a day or two before buying the goods, other than that I have no problem with the way th has done.
Peronell

Post by Peronell »

Peronell is enjoying a light brunch when a knock at the door draws her attention. There is a messenger from the town on her stoop with and request to join a discussion. On her way to the university, she pokes her head in and listens for a moment before responding.

I prefer an open market; but that's just my opinion. Purposely inflating prices is ... well, why bother? The town hall is probably making a nice profit; but if citizens were entirely on board with the pricing guides and wages that the town hall is pushing then the town hall would not need to purchase goods and re-price them.

She takes a deep breath, concentrating on soothing her aura, when she feels it stop jumping she continues.

I grow wheat for example and I pay on the high end of wages for untrained labor at fr. 20.00 a day, or fr 60.00 per harvest cycle. If I sell the harvested wheat at fr 9.50, I earn fr 104.50 or a profit of fr 44.50 every cycle. Not bad for what I consider an addition to my regular wages. That kind of profit is not going to happen with all of the fields. I also have a veggie patch, 4 veggies every 5 days. I pay fr 20.00 or fr 5.00 for every veggie, to make as much money in 10 days as I do on my wheat field I'd have to sell veggies for over fr. 9.00...

So, I suppose the question to you as mayor is this: What profit margins and wages are you trying to establish?
Hephastion

Post by Hephastion »

I like the idea of keeping prices up a little, they were getting silly low at one point, Wheat selling for less than 8.50 a time was not worth the hassle of posting a job.

In regards to that though, I do think we need to look at some sort of crop rotation though, because I had a job posted for my wheat field for around 4 days before it was picked up. Most of our level 3s are studying or teaching just now, the likes of the Bakers and millers are covering their workshops, so we do have a shortage of people available to work fields.
NotJack

Post by NotJack »

[OOC: I cannot respond IC:

In other worlds, I have been monitoring the market in a similar manner. I will buy low priced goods. However, instead of posting at a new minimum, I post at what I would consider to be just above the maximum price. It has been working reasonably well as people will post at their own competing prices but within the acceptable range as the maximum has already been established.

Since Secfenia reports who is selling the items, it should work even better here. However, the market I am speaking of has very high turnover rates.]