[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Quixote

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Quixote »

"Splendid" Quixote said rubbing his hands together, "we shall ride, and perhaps we will come upon that boar or some other ne'er do well on our adventure. I would like to walk around in this armor a bit, and I'll get my sword. Whenever the two of you are ready, I'll be outside near the stable practicing."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

“Very good then,” Nikola said, addressing both of her guests at once. The warm smile she gave TK broadened into an amused grin as Quixote prepared to leave. She watched him go, her heart happy that he was so pleased with the armor. His enthusiasm never ceased to amaze her and his antics always made her heart happy, even though she often worried about his safety. Somehow, though, he always managed to survive whatever ordeal he put himself through, be it windmills, dragons, or empty suits of armor resting on their pegs.

As he left to go walk around in the armor and fetch his sword, she turned to TK.
“I think I will forego the armor this time. After what I just felt from it, I’m guessing a more controlled environment might be best for learning how to use it with what is inside me.” She smiled gratefully. “I am very thankful for what you have done, both for Quixote and for me. Thank you so very much.” Sapphire eyes sought his for a brief moment before she took a breath and swept an arm toward the door. “Shall we then? We can gather up our lunch basket from the kitchen and be out with the horses ready to go by the time Quixote finds us again.”

She led the way to the kitchens where Cook had already begun packing a most generous picnic basket. Ben had already heard that they would be riding and by the time the basket was ready to go, he had brought Quixote’s horse, Starr and Oblivion around to the front of the manor and was standing with them ready to hand off the reins.

“Thank you, Ben,” she gave the young man a warm smile as she reached for Starr’s reins. The mare snuffled at her outstretched hand and gave her a disapproving look of disappointment. She laughed and reached up to stroke her nose. “I have treats for you, don’t worry, but they are for later. You’ll just have to trust me on that one,” she told her and the mare snorted as though she was not sure she believed her. Nikola grinned over at TK. “I swear sometimes I think she understands human speech perfectly. She certainly has the responses down pat.”
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

"You are both most welcome. I enjoy that kind of work and it isn't often that I get to do it for others. The armor will require a little getting used to, but as long as you exercise with complete concentration you will be fine." TK smiled and their eyes met for a moment before she motioned toward the door. TK shook his head slightly as if to get the thoughts clear again and bowed. "After you m'lady" and they went to the kitchen to pick up a few things. He managed to grab a meat biscuit for a fast bite and smiled at the kitchen girl whom he'd nearly scared the wits out of earlier. He gave her a quick wink before following Nikola to the front of the manor.

The horses were brought up and TK was more than a little impressed that Ben had been able to get Oblivion ready without help. TK walked over to his friend and rubbed his ears as Oblivion layed his head into TK's chest. "Yes my friend, we'll be riding today, but not anticipating any trouble. Just a little walk with the Lady and a Knight about the grounds I believe." TK patted his neck and nodded at Nikola "Aye. They understand every word." Turning to Ben, TK nodded a look of respect. "Good job with him."

TK gave a good look at the saddle and the reins and nodded approvingly before stepping in the stirrup and swinging a leg over. "Tis a beautiful day for a ride"
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote cantered over as the two got their horses out of the stable. For some reason, his stallion didn't like Oblivion and shied away, but Quixote quickly got him under control. "What a fine day for a ride!" he announced to the group and then continued, "I feel like I could take on a hundred giants with my two boon companions and this armor, but I suppose we won't be lucky enough to run into that many."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola watched as Ben handed over Oblivion’s reins. The young man seemed a little nervous, but she guessed that had nothing to do with the fact that Oblivion’s rider was an orc. Nor did it have anything to do with the horse itself, if she did not miss her guess. More than likely, he was just hoping he’d gotten everything right. The boy…young man, she corrected herself…had an amazing touch when it came to the horses and she smiled, pleased for him, when TK gave him a respectful look and told him he had done a good job. She could see the relief in his eyes and the pride swelling his chest ever so slightly and she was grateful to TK for the words of praise. She guessed that although the words were simple, they meant the world to Ben.

Looping Starr’s reins over the mare’s head, she prepared to mount, but hesitated long enough to see the practiced grace with which TK mounted Oblivion. The stallion was a magnificent creature, and she realized that she had the same thought about his rider. She looked down to guide her foot into the stirrup, hoping to hide the heat rising in her cheeks as she tried to shake that thought from her mind.

Fortunately, Quixote came cantering up from wherever he had gone off to and she was able to finish mounting Starr without further incident or embarrassment. Starr’s muscles bunched in anticipation of the ride as Nikola turned her head to face Quixote and TK. Quixote’s horse seemed a little skittish as he drew close to Oblivion, but the Knight got him under control very quickly. She grinned broadly as he echoed TK’s sentiment about the day.
“Yes, it is a beautiful day today. Perfect for three companions to go for a ride and see what mischief we can get up to!” she exclaimed, keeping Starr in one place while Ben secured the basket to the back of her saddle. “Thank you, Ben,” she said as he finished and backed away, and she led Starr over to join her companions.

“I don’t know about giants, but I’m sure we’ll all be safe enough with you here to fight them off, my Knight Errant,” she smiled warmly at Quixote. She had given some thought to where they might go if Quixote did not already have a plan and as he didn’t seem keen on any particular direction, she urged Star forward with a gentle touch of her heels to the mare’s sides. As she began to prance, Nikola waved for her companions to join her. “Follow me!”, she called to them and began to lead the way southward across the clearing toward a well-traveled path that led deep into the woods. It was easy to follow at first, wide enough in places for two to ride abreast without getting too close, although three abreast would have required that they all, and their mounts, be very good friends indeed.

As they rode deeper into the woods, the path grew narrower and signs of travel became less evident. At this point, she slowed Starr to a walk as the trail became less even and began to wind amongst the trees that seemed to grow closer to the edges of the path. At one point the path split into two trails. The main trail continued on southward, but she led them onto what amounted to little more than a deer path that wound westward toward the southeast edge of the lake.

“Deer often come through here, heading to the lake for a drink. I suspect the boar comes through here, too,” she said, nodding toward a tree whose bark had been shredded at about the height of a man’s waist. Starr’s head bobbed nervously and Nikola stopped speaking, taking a moment to listen to the woods around them. She could hear nothing over the soft thudding of the horses’ hooves along the path, but Starr’s behavior indicated that something, or someone, was nearby. She visually checked the longbow she carried in a tube hanging from her saddle. She would have to string it on the ground as it was unwieldy to use on horseback. Her quiver contained a dozen arrows, made especially for the bow. Her power gave her the strength to pull the bow with sufficient force to take down a large animal at 100 paces, but only with the help of the force roiling inside her. She had not planned to hunt this trip, but she believed in being prepared for anything. She tossed her companions a questioning look, wondering whether either of them had heard anything, too, but she did not speak again.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK sat on Oblivion's back and stroked his friend on the neck. "Easy now my friend. We will go at their pace and guard the back." he said to Oblivion. The stallions paces were considerably longer than most other horses. Mostly due to his size, but also some of his enthusiasm about going. Often times he found running was almost a normal pace for his friend, almost as if walking made him nervous. TK chuckled as Quixote's stallion seemed to take a step or two away from Oblivion. "It's quite alright Quixote, his size does have a bit of an effect on other equine. But I will assure you that he will do no harm to your beautiful beast."

"Giants on the other hand" TK paused as he remembered the last one he met "Some can be good-natured, but most are just a cornucopia of meanness." TK let the statement rest there as he had no desire to meet up with ten at once, let alone one hundred. As Nikola started off, TK motioned to Quixote "Sir Knight, you stay close to the lady and I'll guard the back in case any creature decides to make an ambush from the rear." TK patted his side where his sapphire sword hung in it's sheath. As they went along the way TK was impressed with the grounds even more as they delved farther into the woods.

TK was watching as the Lady Nikola rode and it was evident that she had much riding experience the way she was able to remain almost unmoved as Star cantered in its walk. As they neared the fork TK had seen signs of a large boar. His instincts reacted and his ears extended and his sense of smell went on alert. Another reason he wanted to be in the back so he wouldn't frighten the other horses if he had to do some modifications to his appearance. When he saw the rub on the tree he could smell the green sap that was around the freshly wounded tree. It was almost as if they'd disturbed the process. TK pointed to the ground beyond the tree and almost whispered "Fresh earth has been uncovered. He is very close."

As he almost silently dismounted, he looked at Quixote. Quietly he said "You might not want to leave the Lady in case he makes a rush." He walked Oblivion up to the front around Nikola and Star "On Guard my friend" he said to Oblivion and laid the reins across the horn loosely. He walked to Nikola, put a hand on her leg and in the same quiet tone he'd been using said "Since this is your land, I'll let you make the decision. But a rub that high is no small beast. Probably the same size as a medium bear. And thrice as mean" He left it at that. And while he didn't mean any slight to Quixote, TK felt that he was the most equipped to deal with a beast like this since he hunted on a regular basis and had met some nasty foes. The bear tooth that had been pulled from his skull and made into a necklace hung around his neck even now. The tooth was large and it was almost a fatal bite that led to it being lodged in his skull. Luckily for him, he'd lived to make it back to stumble, with half of the bear, in the tavern where it was removed and doctored. Besides, a Knight always protects the Ladies. At least that's what TK had heard from some tales of old. But Quixote was a man and could do as he pleased. And TK would let him test his new armor on the beast if he wanted. He would stay and protect Nikola, and keep a keen ear and eye out for the safety of Quixote also. He was good with whatever the Knight and Lady wished.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Although he had ridden across the whole of Secfenia, Quixote had never seen a wild boar. He knew they were generally fought with spears not swords and that you could kill it and it might kill you before it died. He dismounted and drew his sword, taking a two handed grip. He cocked his head and listened. He heard a sound, not far away, fifty yards at the most. He scanned with his eyes but saw nothing, just the thick underbrush and trees in that direction. He interposed himself between the sound and Nikola, keeping flex in his knees. He indicated with his blade to Texas Knight the direction from which he had heard the noise.

"Best to make a stand here I think. My lady, if you would, dismount and prepare to defend yourself." He gave no orders to the wizard, having no idea, really, what the orc was capable of. There was another sound, more clear than the first, definitely a snort. Quixote's senses were heightened as he awaited the beast's move.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola noted TK’s heightened awareness, heard his warning about the freshly turned earth which she had missed and watched him dismount. She was both amused and impressed that he set Quixote to guarding her. Amused because she could probably take care of herself, but impressed and touched that her safety was his first concern. His hand on her leg got her full attention as he left it to her to decide what to do. His estimation of the beast’s size fit with the reports she had received so far, but she had not yet seen it. His warning was well heeded and she nodded and dismounted, looping Starr’s reins over the saddle horn. She knew the mare would not run from a battle, but if she did need to move about, she wanted the reins out of her way. “If he is nearby, and we disturbed him, it is likely he will be back soon,” she answered TK quietly. “We should be ready. I do not care to leave him wandering these woods any longer than necessary as his presence here threatens my hunters and the other animals.”

She nodded her thanks to Quixote as he dismounted and took up a position in front of her, blade drawn and readied himself for whatever might come. She had not come prepared to do battle as this was supposed to be a pleasant outing, so aside from the bow, she only had her diamond encrusted dagger sheathed at her waist. She pulled her quiver free of the saddle and slung it across her back before removing the longbow and set one end on the ground in preparation to string it to be ready for whatever might be out there. Squirrel or boar, she suspected with the three of them at the ready, it would not go well for the beast.

Her fingers worked deftly to loop the bow string into place while her companions scanned the woods for signs of the boar, or whatever else might be there. Releasing a tiny bit of her power, she tightened the string so that an arrow drawn on it would fly fast and true over a fair distance. Once the bow was sufficiently strung, she pulled an arrow from the quiver and nocked it, ready to pull and release should the opportunity arise.

There was a snort some distance away, then a rustling in the underbrush nearby. Nikola frowned, searching the growth for what might be there. It seemed too small a presence to belong to whatever had damaged the tree behind them. The brush rustled again, and she tracked the movement of a small creature as it scurried away.
“Rabbit,” she said simply as she returned her attention back to the wood beyond the tree from where the sound of a much larger beast had come. She could feel her power pulsing inside her, begging to be released, but Zhaneth's lessons had taught her to hold it in check until the moment it was needed. She would not risk damaging the woods or an innocent creature with that power if she could avoid it.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

When Nikola's bow was strung, Quixote dropped to one knee so that she could loose a shaft over his head at the beast before he sprung into action with his blade. "We are ready for action, wizard. You are free to advance or cast a fireball or whatever it is you have in mind." Until yesterday, Quixote had never spent time with anyone he considered a real wizard. He only 'knew' their capabilities from stories told in the tavern, so the fireball idea seemed reasonable to him.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK saw how the Lady Nikola was armed and shook his head in his mind. No, that bow would be of little use he thought. He paused a moment then made the decision... "M'Lady, a boar that size is likely to have a very large and tough armor that the bow may not be able to get through if you only have a frontal shot." He held his sword out to her "Please take my sword and use it should the beast come your way." He winked "I don't think I'll be needing a weapon of steel..." and he let his eyes grow red and his teeth start to grow to indicate what his weapon would be for this beast "and" he held out a pouch of herb "take my klah pouch so that when this is over I calm down more quickly. It has a calming effect on the Lycan side of me. Simply toss it at my feet.." he thought just a brief tic "or if you feel comfortable enough, you can hand it to me." He turned to include Quixote in the next bit "Sir Knight, if the beast gets by me, then kill it and do not kill anything else that may come out of the woods. Especially if it's about seven foot tall and appears to be a Wolf on legs." TK chuckled at that. "I'll not be using magic or fireballs on this beast. Teeth and claws are the order of the day for whatever awaits us."

With that TK walked into the woods a little deeper and hopefully obscured from the horses sight. As he did, he noticed signs of a very large boar. No doubt it was a boar as the front part sank into the ground quite deeply and left a good imprint of the back spikes. The claws behind the hoof on each leg. He could tell the boar had been walking rather than running because the hoof prints were not spread at the toes. He caught something from the corner of his vision and saw it completely when he turned his head. Quickly he made the transformation to full Lycan form. His hands became claws and his face and teeth took on a wolf-like shape with long pointed teeth and red glowing eyes. His whole body changed shape and he was ready for a fight! He let out a growl that would make the hair on any human stand on end. "It... is time.. for you... to be gone... beast!"