[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Quixote

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Quixote »

Quixote had said goodbye to just about everyone in the Manor including Texas Knight. He didn't know that Nikola was going to be by his horse. He couldn't leave without saluting her!

"Ah there you are Nikola!" he said as he realized who it was. He saluted hastily. "Thank you for a wonderful time here. The cook put an entire iskir berry pie in my basket! Isn't that amazing?!" It might make it as far as the gate of your house," he joked, the gate being within sight, whereas his rations were intended to get him back to bravia. "If you need any other supplies run out here, I know I'm one of the few you can count on to get them past the giants and other nasties in the forest. So just let me know. I've had a wonderful time here." Quixote repeated himself, then realized he had, but didn't want to correct it and hoped she didn't notice, but realized she probably had. He loaded his provisions on the wagon and checked it over, it was in perfect condition.

He gave Nikola an embrace and saluted her. "Good bye for now, milady."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

She heard his voice and stepped away from the white charger, smiling as he approached and returned the smart salute he gave her. She was not entirely sure why she did that but returning the salute seemed to be the right thing to do. “Let’s hope that pie lasts a little bit longer than passing my gate,” she chuckled and pretended not to notice that he was repeating himself as he bade her farewell.

She stepped aside to allow him room to tether his horse and see to the condition of the wagon. She returned his embrace with a tight hug of her own, knowing he would probably be embarrassed by it, but would cherish it nonetheless. As he at last settled into the driver’s seat, she stepped close enough to place her hand on the side of the wagon.
“I am glad you enjoyed yourself, Quixote. My home is your home whenever you are in the area or have a need. Don’t ever forget that,” she told him. “I am so glad you came, my friend. I always enjoy a visit from my Knight Errant, you know, so don’t stay gone forever.”

Stepping back so that he was free to take off without fear of running the wagon over her toes, she waved. “Farewell, my good friend. Take care upon the road. Should you come across any giants or other nasties, your armor should aid you in the fight. If you run into any dragons, make sure they are not the good ones, as several of them are my friends, you know,” she grinned and winked at him, standing still to see him off until he disappeared from view around the bend beyond the gate.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote rode off, looking back from the gate to see that Nikola was still standing there watching him go. It made the knight feel good that she watched over him. There were not many in this world who understood Quixote's point of view. He checked to make sure his sword was where it should be, of course it was, but he checked many times a day. You never knew when you would need to be prepared. His eye spotted movement to the left in front of him was it a monster? No, it was a jackrabbit, or possibly a monster disguising itself as a rabbit. If that were the case he would allow the beast the first move. With his new armor, he was sure he could take on all comers.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK had slept late that morning and had just come out of his room in time to see Quixote on his way out to the horses. TK nodded and put his hand on Quixote's shoulder before handing him a bottle of brandy for his own. It was a regular bottle, but it had a strange inscription on it that translated, roughly, to "Strength, Courage, & Valor". "It was good to meet you Sir Knight. Quixote, may the gods watch over you and guide your strikes. Safe journey home."

TK smelled food and headed toward the kitchen where he found a quick bite of some of the leftover meats from the night before. He grabbed a couple slices of bread and put the meat between them. He took a bite of his steak sandwich and smiled as Cook brought him a cup of klahua. "Thank you Cook. I assume the Lady of the house is outside already?" Cook nodded and TK took his leave headed towards the door.

He'd finished his sandwich and was enjoying his coffee as the door was opened for him to exit the manor. He arrived in time to see Quixote pass through the gate and round the corner. As Quixote looked back he turned to Nikola "A strange being that one is, but very likable." TK smiled as he took another drink of his klahua.

It was a beautiful day and as TK finished his klahua he wondered what lay in store. He needed to send a message to Ethan and have him bring a few things back and set the next day or so in order so the lad would not be sitting with idle mind. The rest of the day would be up to his beautiful host.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

So intent was she on watching Quixote as he rode away that Nikola did not notice that TK had exited the manor and was heading her way. She felt his presence as he walked up beside her, though, and smiled as he spoke of Quixote. Her eyes still followed the knight as he rounded a bend in the road and disappeared from view. “Aye, that he is. A very sweet soul, but don’t ever tell him I said so,” she grinned as she finally turned to greet TK. With a chuckle she added, “He is a very good friend and named himself my Knight Errant early on. I feel a little responsible for him, I guess, but mostly I’m blessed to know him. He is quirky at times, but he makes me laugh and some days that alone makes him worth his weight in gold.”

She cast one last glance to the road, but even the dust of his passing was settling now. She hoped he would be safe and that she would get to see him again before too many seasons had come and gone. With a sigh she turned back to TK and noticed the cup of klahua in his hands. She raised an eyebrow and gave him a little smirk. “Where’s my klahua?” she teased and then chuckled. “I’m only teasing, although seeing your cup makes me rather thirsty. I was so intent in making sure all was ready for his departure that I did not grab anything for myself when I stopped by the kitchen to see that provisions for his journey were ready to go.”

She slipped her hand into the crook of his arm and gave him a bright smile. “Will you join me for a bite to eat, or have you already eaten?” Movement from the stables reminded her of something he had said the day before. “Oh!” she exclaimed, nodding at the young man who was leading Starr out of the stables and preparing to get her ready for riding. “Ben can take any messages you need to send to your people and he has offered to bring back any provisions you may wish to have brought to you while you are here.”

Remembering the brief, but intense, revelation that they had shared the day before, she looked away, hoping to hide the slight color she could feel creeping into her face at the memory. It was not that she was embarrassed, or ashamed, but that she had been so unsure of herself in that moment. It was not like her to get tongue tied so easily and she wondered what it was about TK that had elicited such a response from her. She did very much enjoy his company, and she did very much relish the thought of getting to know him better. But would he really want to get to know her and if he did, would he still be interested once he had learned more about her?

A sudden memory of a game of Truth or Dare played in the Mysts tavern what seemed ages ago now brought a grin to her lips. That had been one of the first times she had interacted with him beyond just a passing greeting and he had intrigued her even then.

Well, there was nothing for it but to move forward and see what happened. One thing she was absolutely certain of, though. Whether or not anything came of this mutual interest they seemed to share, she knew she wanted him as friend no matter what, and she made herself a silent promise to avoid doing anything that might jeopardize that end.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK chuckled lightly as Nikola swore him to secrecy about Quixote. He raised his non cupped hand "I shall never say a word." he winked and smiled. He looked down the road when she did and wondered what kind of beasts the Knight would find to slay on his way back home.

"Yours M'lady?" he grinned as he tipped the cup upside down and showed it was empty. "I haven't a clue, but I know where we can find some more. Oh, I've only had something to stop the rumbling in my stomach. So I would most definitely love to join you in getting a bite, or meal, to eat."

TK patted his pocket and pulled out a letter to Ethan. "Thank you M'lady." As Ben neared TK handed the letter to him "I believe I have everything listed in there that I'll need, but Ethan may remember something that I have forgotten. Thank you Ben."

As TK took her arm and they walked back into the manor together he was thinking about the events of the last few days. He'd revealed something and it was well received. Other thoughts went through his mind about things that had transpired and what it all could mean in the future. If he were the type to concern himself with planning every detail of his life he'd have failed miserably. He didn't see this coming, but he wouldn't change what had come from it thus far. Life was a journey and the best journeys had unexpected turns. So he went with the flow of things and left fate have its way with his life. He'd been through good and bad, happy and sad times in his life, but in the end it was all in balance. This too would be in balance if the course stayed on the same pattern as it had been, and he saw no reason for a detour from the norm of things. All in all he was happy to spend as long as she'd allow, but not so long that it would seem inappropriate. Perhaps three more days and then he'd get back to his shop. Not that he wanted to depart such good company, but he didn't want others to start talking and tarnish her dignity or honor.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

They made it back inside the manor and breakfasted in the smaller informal dining room overlooking the clearing that ran down to the lake shore. The day had dawned bright and sunny with only a few fluffy clouds scattered across the cerulean sky and the trees seemed to call to her to come join them. She kept stealing little glances at him as they ate, wondering just exactly what was growing between them. Obviously something was, and they had both responded to it in some way, but what that might be was still to be discovered.

Once the meal was over, her appetite sated and thirst slaked, she suggested they take a stroll outside.
“Not too deeply into the woods, mind you. I’m not sure I wish to meet up with another adventure like the one we’ve just had, but I feel like I just breathe better, and think more clearly, when I’m out under the sky, or among trees.”

She led him out onto the lanai and down the stone steps into the clearing. Her two retrievers bounded up to greet them, stopping short of jumping up on them both when she snapped her fingers and pointed to the ground. Still, tails wagged excitedly, and they licked her hands as she petted them. “TK, I suppose it’s time you officially met my pack. This big boy,” she ruffled the fur of the larger of the two dogs, “is Donovan.” Donovan was solid black with dark brown eyes that seemed to take everything in without missing the minutest detail. “I got him and Orla as pups just before leaving Bravia to move here to Fenia,” she explained as she introduced the smaller of the two dogs. “Smaller” was merely a comparative term, however, as she was nearly as big as Donovan, but sported a golden yellow coat. Her eyes, too, were dark brown, although hers were perhaps a shade or two lighter than Donovan’s. “Orla is my golden princess for sure,” she smiled with genuine affection. Both dogs turned their attention to TK and gave him a proper sniffing, memorizing his scent. They were a little cautious with him but did not seem afraid or troubled by his size. “As you can see they are quite friendly and love to play. They work hard, too, whenever I let them go fishing with me. They are still young but have responded very well to training.”

She looked across the property to the east where her small herd of cattle was kept. “Aidan is working now, but hopefully you’ll get to meet him, too. He’s a collie, and a bit on the small side for his breed, but what he lacks in stature he more than makes up for in zest and stamina. He’s happiest when he’s keeping the herd in line, and he keeps a close eye on the milking. I like to think he’s making sure his “girls” are treated properly, and they do tend to give a bit more than usual whenever he’s around them. Today is a milking day and so he’s with the herd, but you’ll likely meet him later this evening."
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

The meal was good, filling, and peaceful. The view was nice as they looked out over the lake and TK was thinking that would be a nice place to take a walk. It seemed to promise peacefulness, and TK wanted that today. As they finished up, Nikola suggested exactly what he was thinking. He didn't know if she had telepathic perception, but the idea was straight from his mind.

As they walked outside and the dogs came running up TK paused slightly. Sometimes canine had a sense and a reaction that showed they sensed his lycan side. That reaction was sometimes fear, sometimes joy, sometimes curiosity, but most times nonchalant was the reaction. As he was introduced and they began to sniff him he offered a hand below their head level so they could examine him and not perceive him as a threat. They sniffed cautiously at first and then gave his hands a good licking. TK chuckled and scratched them behind their ears as he greeted each one by name. Raising back up he looked at Nikola and smiled. "Beautiful pups. I saw them out with you at the lake when you were practicing your control the other day. Very intelligent and wise it seems also." As Nikola looked toward the cattle TK saw the collie and nodded. "Ah, yes, a Border Collie. Those are perfect for cattle herding and guarding. Many don't know that their smaller size is a benefit when it comes to fighting off foxes and other cattle threats. I'm sure you've noticed that when he turns while running that his backside and tail get closer to the ground. That helps in two ways. One way, it keeps his center of gravity low so he can turn sharply. The other way it helps is it prevents larger enemies from swatting his haunches and grabbing him by the tail." He smiled as he realized he was probably telling her things she already knew. "I look forward to meeting him, whenever he has free time of course. Wouldn't want to take him away from his duties." TK offered with a wink.

As they continued their walk TK pointed to the small clearing that they'd looked over while they breakfasted. "I think that would be a nice place for us to walk. It seems to offer shade if one of us gets too warm, or sun if one of us feels a chill." He was feeling something for her, something like a warm ember that grew hotter as time afforded them time together, he would tell her eventually if the ember kept growing, but for now he wanted to get to know more about her. He didn't want to ruin their friendship, and he knew that things like what he was feeling could do that if it was spoken too soon, or if it was merely one-sided.

As they neared the clearing he spotted a perfect place to sit by the water and relax. It was grassy, but the dew had been taken by the sun so they wouldn't get their bottoms wet. He motioned to the spot. "Care to relax a bit there? I find my food seems to process better if I can stretch out a little."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

She watched with pleasure as TK greeted the dogs and they seemed to warm up to him right away. Not everyone liked dogs as much as she enjoyed them, and it was good to know there seemed to be no deterrence on that front. When he suggested a particular spot for their walk, she nodded and strode alongside him, enjoying his company and the casual exercise. The dogs took it upon themselves to clear the path with their boisterous play, noses to the ground whenever they were not racing each other or chasing a squirrel that did not have the sense to hide from the sound of their passage. There were no casualties, however, as the dogs simply enjoyed the chase and rarely went in for the kill.

She followed him to the water’s edge and settled herself in the grass, picking up a twig with a dead leaf still attached, rolling it back and forth idly between her thumb and forefinger as he joined her.

“So, tell me a little about yourself. I mean, I know the basics. You are orc and lycan and I remember you speaking of your family a little in the tavern some time ago, but I would love to learn more. I know you are a formidable warrior,” she gave him a teasing grin as she added, “even though I know I can beat you in the dueling arena.” She continued on, citing what she knew and leaving open for him to fill in as he wished those areas she knew little or nothing about. “I know you once lived in Kiene and I have the sense that moving to Fenia was not simply to be with Aida.” Her smile faded a little as she thought of her cousin, long gone from this world. She knew this was a sore spot for him, but she needed him to know that he need not avoid that topic should he wish to speak of it. “You were married to my cousin. I remember attending your wedding, actually. It was my first real journey outside of Bravia. I did not know her then, although she and I had communicated briefly in our roles as Vicerines of Fenia and Bravia, and we had no clue that we were related at the time. But that was the first time I ever laid eyes on you.”

She hesitated, wondering whether she had already said too much. “I miss her, too,” she said softly, avoiding his gaze as she looked out over the water, remembering how her friendship with Aida had blossomed once they discovered that they were related, if only distantly. "I hope you know that you can speak of her freely with me, but I understand if you would rather not."
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK leaned back and thought quite a bit before beginning. "Really, there isn't much to tell. I was kicked out of the village I was born in once it was discovered that I was a hybrid as well as an alpha. Not because of anything I'd done, but because my father was the Ulfric and feared that I would take over by force. This came after I completed the trials of the Rite of Passage and was the youngest to ever come through them successfully. There are many that attempted the trials and were killed. That was the purpose of the trials, to kill the weak and teach humility and humbleness to the survivors. I simply learned better ways to kill and defend, how to use my ability to change only certain parts of my body if I had to in order to survive. I not only completed the trials, I defeated them. I came out carrying the heads of every major beast that attacked me. I had gained weight, instead of like all the others before me, losing weight and barely surviving. The trials lasted for as long as it took to get to the top of the mountain and back down to the village. There were no paths. The mountain was near the ocean and the cliff side is what was used both ways." TK paused and shook his head slowly remembering the events. "They kicked me out the week after I returned. One of the elders escorted me to the edge of the village and placed a curse upon me should I ever return. To make a long story very short, I found a witch that was able to remove the curse. I wandered the wilds for several decades before poking me head into Widu a few years ago."

"I'd scouted the town for nearly a season before setting foot in daylight. I'd determined in my scouting that the town would be an acceptable place to live. There were various types of creatures there and it seemed they were accepted.. or, at least not hated for what type of creature they happened to be. I kept to myself for the most part of the first few months. I got to know a few creatures and that brought me out of reclusive lifestyle. I did not judge based on status, or lack thereof, or type of creature. Although there was this one human that called himself Bill.... I threw him through the wall of the tavern and he became a wraith, sadly. If I had been able to find him in the woods I'd have simply eaten him and used his bones for table legs." TK waived his hands and laughed. "I think that was the only creature that I still wanted to kill even after I'd killed him. He was more annoying after I killed his human form than he was before."

"I happened to go back to my village a few years ago. I wanted to show them that I was no threat. I was attacked and they were all defeated. I left nothing except the Totem in the middle of town. Burned and destroyed everything and everyone. I had no mercy because I was shown no mercy."

TK stopped talking and looked out over the lake. A tinge of sadness in his eyes, along with a tinge of fire red. He took a few klah leaves and at them. That was a true sore spot. He regretted, not that he'd killed them all, but that they were unwilling to see and understand that it isn't the creature that makes the mind, but the mind that makes the creature either good or evil.

"Anyway," he continued "I came to be known to the Queen and she took a liking to me. She offered me a title and position, and valued my opinion. It was a new thing to me and I accepted. Became mayor of Widu and shortly found out the price." he grunted "Little did I know... I was expected to be a puppet." he laughed "Can you imagine me being a puppet? There were a couple good things to come out of that. I learned that I didn't care for politics. And I met Aida."

"The move from Widu was something more than just being near Aida. Honestly I'd have moved anywhere to get out of Widu, even to the barren plains of the far north. But I liked what Fenia offered, ambiguity. I was able to be me, in all my ways, and it was without strings. Of course I had to fulfill the requirements since I asked for assistance, but that was of my choosing. The benefit of being next to Aida was just something that made the location sweeter." For the first time he smiled and it was a happy smile "She made my world brighter, gave me a brief glimpse at true completeness, and was wonderful to love, and have that love returned. It nearly killed me when she went across the River Styx. I could do nothing right. I stopped going places. Stopped visiting places. Returned to my reclusive ways and hunted. Left my house in the hands of my steward for months at a time and he often wondered if I was alive or dead. But much to his credit, he kept the place looking inhabited, and well tended. This is the reason he is so invaluable to me now. He stuck with me, despite myself."

TK paused and sighed, his eyes were misty and the world was hazy as he looked out over the lake. He feigned a cough and wiped his eyes. He was not ashamed of the way he felt, but he didn't want Nikola to see him like that at the moment. With a sigh he looked over at her, hoping he hadn't put her to sleep, and shrugged. "That's about all there is to tell. I mean, there are things that happened in the decades while I was wondering the wilds that made me a better hunter, quieter hunter, faster killer, etc... But they are of no real meaning. They were just things that I did to survive. Something that got me to the next day. I lived mostly in my Lycan form and became more comfortable in that form that I was in my Orc form. I learned control of my mind in the Lycan form, and that helps me know the limits of what I can control myself around. But really, I can't think of anything else as far as major events that have happened. My experiences have made me see both sides of the creature before passing judgement. I don't trust what others say about someone. I have found that creatures are different to different creatures. That is to say that if a creature walks up to me and attempts to kill me, I will be hostile. But if a creature walks up and attempts to shake my hand, then I will be hospitable. So the way a creature is treated has a lot to do with the way they perceive and relate to a creature."

"What about you? I think I know even less of you than you knew of me. I know you hold a position and a title has befitted you this estate. I know you and Aida are kin. But other than that, I feel I don't know much about you as a person at all. I mean, what I do know, I like, but the details are missing from the story. How did you become... you."

The dogs had come up and were lying in the shade. The birds were singing and the breeze was blowing just enough to blow the hair around Nikola's cheeks. TK took out his pipe and filled it with a mixture of his own that had klah and tobacco with a hint of apple leaf.