[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Nikola

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Nikola »

The sip she had taken had not had an immediate effect. Perhaps she had not swallowed enough of it, but she enjoyed watching Quixote’s face as he swallowed a rather large amount and then set about eating again. The curiosity in his eyes changed to wonder and delight and that pleased her immensely. She had noticed he kept looking at the pie and meant to cut him a slice but got distracted by the sudden pulsing of her power. Internalizing her vision, she could see it pulsating deep within her, its golden hue brighter with every beat of her heart. In fact, it now pulsed in rhythm to her heartbeat. So intent was she on this that she missed most of the conversation that was going on. She heard TK’s voice and although she did not hear the words, she somehow knew from the tone that he was addressing her.

With an effort, she withdrew from her internal sight and blinked, shaking her head slightly to clear her mind. As her sight returned to the world around her, she saw that TK was looking at her with come concern and there was now a slice of iskir pie in front of her, cut in a rather interesting shape. She smiled apologetically at them both and lifted the glass of the special brew.
“I am sorry,” she began. “I did not realize I had withdrawn so completely. This brandy,” she went on, raising the glass briefly in TK’s direction before moving it in front of her as she examined it more closely, “awakened the power within me somehow. I only took a small sip, yet…” she paused, remembering the rhythmic pulsing and the ever-increasing brightness of the light that was how she visualized her power, “it definitely awakened something there.”

She wondered what might happen if she drank more of it, tilting her head slightly as she considered. At last she decided that she would never know if she did not and so long as Quixote and TK were there with her, surely, they would be able to help if her power escaped her tight control. As she brought the glass to her lips again, she remembered what had happened during the Awakening. She paused before tasting the liquid, worried about a recurrence of that awful discharge of her power. But Vaelen had had a hand in that, she recalled, and she had had very little control over her power at that time. She had learned much from Zhaneth since then and her control, although not complete, was far greater than it had ever been. She took a deep breath and drank deeply from the glass, downing about half its contents before stopping.

Her eyes sparkled as she looked over at TK.
“If I look like I might explode, you may want to get the animals to safety and take cover yourself,” she said with a grin and a wink. As the liquid filled her belly, she felt its warmth. Fire Brandy always did have a particular warmth to it, but this was more and now it mixed with the heat of her own power, causing it to pulsate even more. With every heartbeat, she could feel her energy being renewed, something she had not noticed with just the small initial sip.

With an effort she placed the glass on the ground and took up the pie, grinning over at Quixote.
“Thank you for the pie, my friend, and I agree,” she said as she took a bite, “It is very delicious!”

As she settled in to eating the pie, she noticed that TK had removed the bandage which he had so recently placed over a deep gash on his leg. The skin had healed almost completely, and she glanced up into his eyes, taken aback at how green and beautiful they were. The color was richer than she recalled ever having seen on him before and wondered whether it was a result of the drink or coming down from the battle frenzy of his lycan half. She was unaware that her own eyes were now a richer shade of sapphire than usual, with flecks of gold appearing and disappearing as though dancing to the rhythm of her heartbeat so that they almost appeared to twinkle of their own accord.

The pulsing grew stronger, as though her power longed to escape her control and that began to worry her. She needed to discharge it soon. Her eyes were drawn to the grave that held the ashes of the boar. Rising to her feet, she knew what she would need to do.
“I need to bury the boar’s ashes now,” she said simply and walked over to the edge of the crater. The ashes were not entirely cooled but were no longer smoldering. It would have to do, she decided.

With an effort, she brought her power under tighter control, using techniques Zhaneth had taught her. Tendrils of power would be visible to the others as ribbons of golden light, reaching out primarily from her chest, bright with power and intensity. She directed the light and it coalesced from a dozen or so tendrils floating independently into two thick bands that merged with her arms and shot out through her hands as the power submitted to her will. She then sent those bands of power streaking across to the hunk of earth that she had removed to make the crater that now held the ashes of the beast.

With a wave of her hand, she directed the tendrils to separate into what might be considered fingers of light as they reached their objective, sliding under and around the chunk of earth and lifting it easily into the air. It glided about a foot off the ground as she directed it over the crater and carefully lowered it back into its place. She directed the tendrils of power to mend the rend in the earth, teasing roots to reattach below the surface and smoothing the surface of the ground so that when at last she withdrew the tendrils of light back into herself, the area looked more like a freshly worked garden than a freshly dug grave mound.

The effort did not exhaust her nearly as much as she had expected and although the light still pulsed within her, that sense of impending explosion was gone. The golden flecks faded from her eyes as the power subsided, but her eyes retained their rich sapphire color. She had expected to be completely drained from this effort, yet she was not at all. She knew it was a result of the drink and that the effect would not last. She worried that once the effect had worn off she would collapse, but for the moment she felt amazingly energetic.

“Well, that’s done, then,” she told the others as she rejoined them. Her eyes fell on the glass that still contained some of the precious drink. She dared not drink more of it now that she had her power back under control. “I think I will need to be careful how much I drink of that,” she directed at TK.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

When Nikola went to finish her job, Quixote started tidying up. He was getting the impression that TK did not eat things like iskir berry pie. He had not made an issue of it, but Quixote could see he was not tempted in the least. The dishes were scraped, the basket repacked, and the leftovers kept wrapped at the top so they would not be crushed.

When Nikola commented on the liquid, Quixote nodded and agreed, "That's some powerful stuff you have there, Wizard," he remarked indicating the fire brandy. "It seems like it could save a life under the right circumstances. But it needs to be respected, as I'm sure you're not kidding about side effects."

As Quixote was mostly incapable of repacking the basket, the blanket would no longer fit. He shook it clean away from the group and wound it around the basket. The only thing left was TK's liquor.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK watched as Nikola drank the brandy and raised a brow as she seemed distracted, withdrawn even. When she spoke he let out a sigh of relief. He nodded at her comment about the brandy. He was hoping it wasn't a bad experience for her, and so far it seemed to be good. He was about to say something when she drank about half of what was left in her glass. He noticed Nikola's eyes had started to dance with what he could only guess to be the effects of the brandy. He could hear her heart beating in her chest and the beat matched the eyes twinkle. "amazing" he muttered to himself as he seemed lost in her eyes. They were like a deep blue ocean with magical stars dancing under the waters. They were beautiful. He found himself unable to look away from the beauty. Their dancing stars seemed to be growing and looked as if they would soon fill her eyes completely. Was there anything about this woman that could not capture his attention if she simply wanted?

He realized he was staring when she suddenly rose and announced that the remains needed covered. He watched as she easily did her thing with the grave and wished he sometimes had that ability, but knew it was a good thing he didn't. When she finished and returned he noticed that the dancing stars were not present, or not as bright if they were present. he noticed that they were still that amazing blue sapphire color though.

Her speaking brought TK out of his thoughts and made him smile. "Yes, a little goes a long way and you may not have a knight around to protect you from yourself." But then again you might was the thing he though but did not say. Was there something ... hmm... time would only tell when time had passed.

Quixote spoke, and it was a good thing as TK's mind was wandering about wondering about things. He'd never considered this brandy saving a life. "I've never had the opportunity to test that theory Sir Knight. But it most assuredly should be respected. Unless you don't mind being covered with fur a few days." TK chuckled as he said the last part. He meant it as a joke, but the more he thought about it, the more he supposed it could actually happen to the right... or wrong, depending on how you look at it, creature. But there were other side effects that he'd seen happen, and sometimes they weren't pretty.

As Quixote started to clean things up a bit and get stuff put back in the basket TK realized he'd missed out on the pie. Not that he made a habit of eating the sweets and not that he wasn't tempted to begin with, but he had no intentions simply because he'd not considered it. He would try and sneak some from Cook later though.

TK picked up his bottle and Nikola's remaining liquid. He downed the rest of her drink "Can't let that go to waste, can we now?" TK winked and handed the now empty glass to Quixote who packed it away neatly, well, more neatly than TK would've at least. He got up and gathered the horses together and brought them back to the area as they had wandered down to the lake and were drinking and being lazy in the shade. He picked up his bandage and deposited it in his saddlebag. It was getting time to head back as the sun was just past cresting and started to lean just a bit to the west.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola nodded at Quixote’s comment about the drink being powerful. The reaction of the power that pulsed within her frightened her, although not as much as it might have at one time. She was very thankful to Zhaneth for the lessons he had made her endure. Had she not learned the level of control that she had, she would have likely not been able to control the reaction. She gave TK a smile when he commented that she might not always have a knight around to help her. That much was true. She and John were still good friends, but even before they had agreed to go their separate ways, he had been gone more often than not. She had been on her own most of her life. Her birth parents had sent her away to save her life when she was very young, and she barely remembered them. The couple that raised her had both died, and she had been on her own since she was sixteen. She was not even sure she would know what to do if she actually had someone around all the time, much less someone capable of protecting her from herself.

She watched as Quixote wrapped the blanket around the basket and laughed at TK’s comment about the side effects including the possibility of being covered with fur for a few days.
“That might come in handy during the cold of winter,” she quipped with a chuckle. She did, however, glance down at her hands and arms, but so far, no fur had appeared. That at least was a good thing. Fur might be a bit warm for the weather today.

She watched as TK downed the rest of the brandy she had left in her glass. She nodded approvingly. That removed the temptation for her and he obviously knew how much he could handle of the powerful elixir. She rose and picked up the basket that Quixote had so thoughtfully packed and once TK returned with the horses, she reattached it to Starr’s saddle and prepared to mount.

“I think I’ve had about all the adventure I could want for today. How about we head back to the manor?” It was getting well into the afternoon now, and as she mounted, she found that she regretted that her time with both of her guests might be drawing to an end. Hoping to encourage one or both to stay on a little longer, she made them an offer. “I’m sure Cook will have a nice dinner ready for us this evening and I do hope you’ll both stay and join me for that. I…understand if you both need to head back to your homes, but I would love for you to stay longer if you wish. There is plenty of room at the manor and I have so enjoyed your company…” she hesitated, realizing she was probably rambling now. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself, wondering at why she seemed rattled at inviting two very good friends to stay a little longer. “You are both welcome to stay as my guests for as long as you would like. I’ve enjoyed having company these past days. I enjoy my staff, of course, and they are becoming like family to me, but it’s different having a friend or two around who don’t actually work for me. I’ve enjoyed Faranni, but she’s often away. Having her live with me made me realize how much I miss the company of others.”

Realizing she was rambling again, she stopped speaking and looked away from the two of them, out to the lake where the afternoon sun glistened upon the surface of the water. She shook off the moment of uncertainty that seemed laced with a touch of melancholy and allowed a smile to brighten her face. “At any rate, you are both welcome to spend as much time here as you wish, and once you’ve gone, know that you are welcome to return any time.”

With that she urged Starr forward, hoping to leave the awkwardness behind as they began to follow the path that would lead them back to the manor.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK mounted Oblivion and nudged his beast up next to Nikola. "I think an extra night might do me some good. I barely slept a wink last night and I could certainly benefit from 10 hours or so of sleep. And I know I would love to have another meal with you. Perhaps a nightcap afterwards as well." TK smiled and followed her gaze to the lake. He wondered silently if she ever swam in the waters or fished in them, or if it was purely for the cosmetics of the place.

He knew he needed to get back to his place and do some things in his shop. He missed his shop, and he longed for the sinew and bone to make something with his hands again. But he liked it here as well, not just for the respite from the norm, but for the company. TK didn't get out much and socialize. He was always working on something and that left little time for fun, but he could see himself spending a little less time in his shop to spend more time someplace else, with someone perhaps even. He was lost in thought when Oblivion started after Nikola as she made her way down a trail. He looked over his shoulder and assumed that Quixote was mounted up and ready to ride.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

quixote had kept an apple from the picnic basket and fed it to his horse before mounting. He heard everything that Nikola had said of course and reflected on it as he mounted up and took the third place in the line of travelers.

"I assume our merchant business is settled, Nikola; I should get back and return the grant before the masters of Bravia should worry. Of course one more feast and a night's sleep would be most welcome before I go. Your hospitality has been truly marvelous."

He did not think they were going back the way they came, but assumed that Nikola knew every path on the estate and was just showing them a bit more scenery.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

“Then it is settled,” she declared with a grin. “We shall feast tonight, sleep well, and break fast together tomorrow before the two of you take your leave.” She knew that whether she asked for a light meal or a feast, Cook would be sure to prepare enough food that even a “light” meal would be seen as a feast for more creatures, so feast it would be. The path she led them on wound through the edge of the woods, sometimes within the trees, sometimes meandering outside the tree line where the lake glittered just beyond them in the sunlight. The water looked very inviting, but as she had said earlier, she had had about all the adventure she was prepared for this day. All too soon the ride was over and they were back in the stable yard. Ben hurried out to greet them and held Starr’s bridle while she dismounted.

Once the horses were taken care of, she led the way back into the manor and excused herself to change out of the armor. It was really quite comfortable, so much so she had even occasionally forgotten she had it on. But there was no longer any need for armor and she felt the need to wash away the remnants of their battle with the boar. Iris accompanied her to her chambers, pouring a basin of clean water for Nikola to use to give herself a quick wash. Once she was clean and dressed in a simple green and white gown she retired to the sitting room to await her guests and the feast that she could smell Cook preparing in the kitchen.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote took his time about stabling his horse and brushed it down himself. While he knew he was safe without it, he loved the feel of the newly magicked armor. Besides he really thought the dinner robe did not look smart on him. He did resolve to leave the helmet, sword and shield in his room for the feast. As he walked back to his room from the stable he passed by the smells of the feast being prepared and breathed it in. Feasts were wonderful, so much better than just regular eating. This would be an occasion! Eventually he made it back to his room, washed up and appeared in the banquet hall.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK dismounted and handed the reigns over to Ben "You're doing a fine job with him." TK then went to his room to get things tidied up and ready for the ride back to his house the next day. When he finished, he poured himself a little more brandy and decided to have a seat in the chair, put his feet up on the table, and have a little of his pipe before the meal.

TK had a habit of working too much. And when he wasn't working he was thinking about working. He would never admit it, but he knew why he'd gotten into the habit. He knew precisely what had caused the habit. His mind wandered through various things as he sat there with his feet up looking out the window. Where had that boar originated? Where had Nikola gotten the fire powers? Where did Quixote originate from? He shook his head and tried to put thoughts out of his mind. He was feeling something that he wasn't sure what to do with. And that perplexed him. Finally he put out his pipe and finished his brandy, put things where they should be and left the room. He was tired of his own thoughts and sought out another to take his mind off of them.

He was following his nose when the servant from earlier that day came around the corner from the kitchen and informed him that he would be more comfortable in the sitting room since that was where the Lady Nikola was at the moment. She pointed him in the right direction of the sitting room, much to his disappointment because he was getting near the food when the servant redirected him. He went to the sitting room and there she was. He started to sit across from her, but the chair he was in earlier was closer, so he sat there instead.

"It was a nice ride today. Minus the boar it was pretty peaceful. You have a very beautiful estate and I have enjoyed the time we've been able to spend together."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

She looked up from the book she was reading as TK entered the sitting room, smiling warmly at him as he made himself comfortable in a chair near her position. She nodded at his words, marking her place in the book and setting it on the side table. “Aye, other than the business with the boar it was indeed a lovely day. The boar, at least, is dealt with now, and hopefully he was the only one of his temperament and size out there. I think the other animals will be glad to be rid of the constant danger. I know I am,” she stated plainly. “And I am very grateful to you and Quixote for being there to challenge him. I may be able to generally defend myself easily enough, but I have no delusions about being invincible. Especially against something like that,” she added.

The orc seemed different somehow, but she could not quite put her finger on it. Brooding, she might have said, yet he was here being his usual friendly self with her. She found that the more she was in his presence, the more she enjoyed his company.
“I am gladdened to hear that you are enjoying your stay. Now that your work is done, I do hope you will be able to relax a little and just enjoy your stay until the time of your departure is at hand,” she told him earnestly. “As to the estate, I have been very much blessed. When the King gave me my choice of estates, the Lady Aishe and I went over the available choices and I had seen this one from the road and like the idea of being in amongst the trees and near the lake. I would have preferred a river, I think, but Lake Fenia is very much alive and the water is good. I actually chose the estate before I viewed the manor. I might have chosen something a bit smaller had I seen how large this one is, but as large as it is, it has come to feel like home. I will admit that I enjoy it more when friends are in residence, however,” she confided with a smile.