[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Quixote

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Quixote »

As Quixote sauntered down the hall towards dinner he rehearsed the story of the boar kill. He kept 'remembering' more details about the heroic adventure. The boar would be ten feet tall by the time he actually told the story at the feast and would probably be a demon by the time he told it in Bravia.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK smiled and agreed that it was better when others were around to share life with. That made him think about something that he'd been told earlier and he smiled. He thought he might take a break from working for a while and actually relax a bit. "You know I might be able to spare a few extra days if you'd like. I don't have any orders pending and I just have to read a bit each day to learn a bit more about things."

He smiled and produced a flask of brandy from his inner pocket. As he unscrewed the top, he was glad to be here. More specifically, to be here with her. He took a long pull from the flask and offered the drink to her. "This is just straight brandy" he clarified in case she was wondering if it had any special properties added. "Aged 6 years and has a young flavor to its amber colored liquid. I like being here with you."

He'd thought it many times, but it had come out verbally this time. He looked at her and was a bit surprised at his own voice saying that to her. He smiled, unsure what to say after that slip. He didn't intend to say it out loud, but there it was. He'd said what he'd thought. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders as he felt the heat come to his face. "Well it's true." he said simply. "I have enjoyed the time I've been here with you. While everything else has been wonderful, it's been you that has made my time here most special. Your eyes sparkle, your smile shines, your personality glows." He took another drink of brandy just so he would stop talking. He once again offered the flask to her.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola smiled and accepted the flask, taking a small sip at first, then a larger one before handing it back as he described its normal properties. His explanation ended with a surprise and she was grateful she’d already swallowed that last sip of brandy when she realized what he’d said. It was a simple declaration and might mean nothing at all but for the change of color on his face. Did that darker shade mean he was embarrassed, she wondered?

Before she could respond he smiled, looking a little unsure of himself, and then kept speaking. She sat quietly, listening to him, wondering at what sounded a little like a confession and let him speak his mind until he brought the flask to his lips again, an act which put a stop to the flow of words. Then he handed her back the flask. She tore her eyes from his, gazing down at the flask for a moment before reaching out to accept it. She took another drink as she thought about what he had just said. His body language had added weight to his words and she wondered at the warmth that now flooded her own body. She quickly took another drink as she felt her own face beginning to color, unsure of quite how to respond. At first, she thought her power was responding somehow but after a moment she realized it was far more mundane than that. She also found she was very pleased with what he had just said and realized that the pleasure was not simply because a friend was enjoying being around her. It was because this particular friend was enjoying being with her. Her. Not for what she could do for him, but just because he enjoyed being with her.

She tried to speak but took yet another drink instead and then handed the flask back before she drank the entire contents. It had taken some courage for him to say those things, she realized, and that deserved the same in return. She opened her mouth to speak, closed it, looked down and smoothed her skirt self-consciously and then took a deep breath, chiding herself for feeling so unsure of herself. At last she looked back into his face again, her sapphire eyes searching his as she finally found her voice.

“I…” her voice cracked, and she paused to clear her throat. Why did such things happen at the worst possible time, she wondered? “I have very much enjoyed your company, too, TK. I am … pleased to hear that you feel comfortable enough to say such things.” She hesitated. That sounded so formal. Ugh! She tried again. “What I mean to say is…” What did she mean to say, really? “Well, truth be told I could have invited anyone with the skill to enhance Quixote’s armor, but when I learned you could do it, I sent for you right away because…” she licked her lips which had suddenly gone very dry, “…well, because the thought of getting to spend time with you seemed good to me. I have very much enjoyed our tavern chats and games and I confess to being intrigued …” She hesitated again, certain that her face must be a deep shade of crimson by now. “That is to say, I would be very happy to have you stay as long as you would like so that we have more time to get to know one another.”

That sounded so inadequate to her ears, but the words were out there and she couldn’t take them back. She hoped he understood what she was trying to say in spite of having stumbled awkwardly over her response. She felt like a child meeting her crush for the first time and the picture that conjured in her mind finally released the uncertainty and she chuckled, shaking her head and beginning to relax again. “What I’m trying to say is that I enjoy being with you, too,” she finally admitted without hesitation.

The sound of footsteps passing the doorway distracted her attention and she caught sight of Quixote heading down the hallway toward the dining room. Just as that registered, Ben appeared to announce that the meal was ready to be served. She smiled and thanked him, rising to her feet and turning back to TK.

"I think I saw Quixote already heading in that direction. Shall we join him?"
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK thought that time had stopped. It certainly moved slower as it seemed an eternity before she spoke. Her face had begun to redden, and for what felt like an eternity he thought he'd upset her. He watched as she finished off the brandy, and started to say something before looking down and smoothing her skirt. When she finally spoke the words were almost stinging and he grimaced slightly as he saw her pause. He couldn't help but notice the blush to her face, yes, it was a blush that made her face red and not a disturbed or perturbed feeling. As she seemed to regain her composure she started to speak again. He watched and listened as she started to say something but the words seemed caught in her throat.

When she finally began to speak he found that his feelings weren't at all misplaced and a wave of relief went through his body. He breathed, as he found he'd been not breathing. He smiled a huge smile and let out an audible sigh of relief. He was relieved, happy, and delighted to hear the words that came from her lips.

He hadn't noticed that Quixote had walked by, nor that been had appeared. When Nikola rose to her feet, TK quickly did the same. "Meal? Oh, meal! Yes, of course! I think that would be a good thing at the present time as I find myself quite suddenly hungry." It was true, he was hungry. He hadn't noticed it before to the extent that he noticed it now. Perhaps he'd been too preoccupied to notice his own hunger. But now that he was aware of it, he found himself quite famished indeed. "We shall." He offered a hand and they made their way to the dining hall. "Tomorrow I will need to send word to Ethan for a few items of clothing as I think a clean set would do me some good." He'd brought two sets, the one he wore now was the one he'd worn on the day of his arrival. He'd changed into some leathers to complete the imbuement process and had gone riding in earlier. He'd washed up a little in the lake and a little more while he was in his room once they returned. He didn't stink, but he felt that another day would be the last he could safely say that the clothes would be fit to wear.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

The look of relief and pleasure on TK’s face made all the awkwardness of the previous moments melt away. He stood with her and seemed to babble at first, but he quickly regained control, that huge smile never leaving his face. When he offered her his hand, she reached out and placed her hand in his without hesitation and together they walked down the hallway to the dining room where steaming platters of grilled beef steaks and roasted venison awaited them along with a variety of cheeses and fruits in season. There one bowl filled with vegetables, but it was obvious that Cook had noticed her guests’ preference for meat. In fact, she noticed that one platter in particular contained both beef and venison steaks that appeared to have been barely cooked at all. She hoped TK would enjoy the effort that Cook had put into that choice for him.

As they entered, Cook herself brought in a bowl of steaming hot rolls, fresh from the oven. Nikola smiled and nodded in approval.
“It looks and smells wonderful, Cook! I see you made enough for everyone, so I insist that you all join us as you can.” Cook looked both pleased and slightly scandalized by the offer, but after bustling in and out a few more times with glasses and bottles of iskir wine, fire brandy, Perry and Mint Tea, she finally agreed to sit and eat with everyone.

Quixote looked resplendent in his new armor. It wasn’t actually new, but it shone as though it had only just come from the smithy’s anvil just this morning and had never been worn. He carried himself proudly, obviously enjoying the new suit and her heart warmed with gladness that her gift had been so well received.
“Quixote, you certainly don’t look like you just fought a giant boar a mere few hours ago. I take it the armor proved to be as promised?”

Remembering TK’s mention of needing to send a message to Ethan, she pulled Ben to the side as everyone was finding their seats and mentioned that TK would be needing to send a message to his estate the next morning and that if he wished to take it, he was welcome to ride Starr. The young man brightened visibly as she knew he would and nodded his assent. As she took her place at the head of the table, she motioned to her guests to join her, intending that each would sit on either side of her so that she could enjoy the company of them both throughout the feast.

“Tuck in, and when he’s ready, I would love for Sir Quixote to regale us with the tale of our adventure this day. We did have quite an eventful ride, didn’t we?” She gave the knight a warm grin and a wink, guessing that he was bursting to tell his version of the tale. She loved his stories and now that she had lived through one of them, she was quite interested to learn how it might turn out.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote at first pretended that he didn't want to brag, but actually he was dying to tell the story. So after a few around the table prodded him he launched into his tale, adding just a few enhancements. For the most part it was really how he remembered it because his imagination ran quite close to his reality. He had slipped a silver knife up his sleeve to use at the right moment in his story.

"So there we were just clip-clopping along enjoying the sights when suddenly the sky darkened and things got quiet... too quiet." Quixote made eye contact with those around the table to make sure he had them drawn in. "We had heard reports of a wild boar on the premises and so we were armed and on our guard, but we had no idea what was really out there." He raised both arms in a helpless gesture of 'how could we know.'"

The servants had ceased their shuffling to and fro now, finding an excuse to stand near enough to hear. "It started with snuffling sounds from behind a tree. They were a taunt, the beast hoping to draw us in. We dismounted and set our horses back to keep them out of harm's way. I immediately started looking for a good patch of ground to defend, I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be just one beast. Nikola strung her bow and took an advantaged position, but then Texas Knight suggested the creature's hide would be too thick for arrows, and he was right. He loaned her a sapphire sword instead. It was then that I wished I had my trusty lance. But of course no one takes a lance on a picnic, unless you're planning to make a dragon sized shish kebab." He laughed at his own joke.

Using his plate as high ground, he set a salt shaker on it to represent Nikola, it had a toothpick in one of the small holes representing the sapphire sword; a pepper shaker in front of it to represent himself and a glass of red wine was for TK. A candlestick represented the hiding place of the boar and a small loaf of bread was the monster itself. He explained all these to his audience before continuing. "These are all the ones who engaged, we don't need the horses. And the other monsters, well, they weren't quite prepared to show themselves. You could feel them, or see them out of the corner of your eye, but they were waiting to see what would happen."

Again he scanned his audience to make sure he had them. He removed a napkin that was in his battlefield. "This was no boar!," he announced confidently, "oh, it looked like a boar and smelled like one too, but it was nothing less than an archdemon from the pit of hell. Its servants were lesser creatures, mere tempters and minor torments. They hoped to sup on the meal that the monster prepared for them. Oh, they'd help if they could, but frankly our reputations as slayers precedes us all."

Quixote raised the wine glass representing TK and moved it in a flanking action against the boar. "When we had prepared ourselves TK went in to flush the beast from its lair, a dangerous task, but one he was well prepared for. The orc wizard fully aroused for battle is quite an impressive sight. Back and forth they parried and thrust. We couldn't see what was going on very well from our vantage point, but we feared for his life against such a beast. We had to hold to the plan! The beast must be put on the open ground for our chance of success!"

The wine glass and bread sparred in Quixote's hand. A few drops of 'blood' went over the edge indicating TK's wound. He tore a couple crumbs from the bread to indicate wounds and then gave the loaf of bread a toss towards the other two principals. "When pigs fly!" he said and waited for laughter but there was only curiousity. "It came flying right at us!" He adjusted the bread so it was near the pepper shaker. "I am no expert in flora [he meant fauna] but most pigs, hogs and boar can't fly; this one came like a bat out of hell. and suddenly the whole forest was alive with screeches as its fellow demons cheered it on. The few birds in the area, I assume they were normal birds, all flew up in a rush. The beast recovered its feat and charged me, bloodied from his fight with TK, but tusks gleaming and black eyes set in fire nearly bursting from its head."

He moved the bread and then adjusted the pepper shaker to the side and moved the TK wine glass into position creating a triangle around the beast. "And now," he announced with head held high, "our trap was sprung." He enjoyed the look on Nikola's face as he said this, she always had such a wonderful smile for him. "I let the beast pass striking it on the side of the neck. I knew it could only go straight ahead and now uphill!" The bread now sat partly on and partly off the plate. "Nikola cast a spell and it made something like lightning shoot forth from the sword as she thrust it in. The toothpick now was thrust into the top of the bread and Quixote's fist behind it flattened the beast somewhat. He moved TK in very close now surrounding the bread and moved his pepper shaker to the side.

"The wounds it had already received would have killed any boar ten times over. But the beast was not dead. It might yet have been capable of regenerating, or of escaping with demonic artifice, but there is a place on a boar, in fact on any similar beast that is its weak point."

With a flick of the wrist the unseen knife now appeared in his hand and Quixote brought it down piercing the center of the bread one third way from the edge facing Nikola. "DESCABELLAR" he shouted as he did so. In my native land where bull fighting is common, that is the term for killing a beast by stabbing it in the back of the neck. He now pushed back his chair leaving the battlefield for all to survey.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola sat back in her chair as Quixote began his tale of the events earlier in the day. As he began to speak and used items from the table to demonstrate his points, she found herself leaning forward, wanting to hear more. She had been there, of course, but this tale was slightly revised from reality and she found herself wanting to know what happened next right along with everyone else. She jumped when he suddenly produced a knife from seemingly nowhere and ended the tale is grand fashion. As he pushed back his chair to allow his audience a moment to let it all sink in, she clapped her hands enthusiastically and called out, “Bravo!”

She knew that the tale would likely grow as he carried it back to Bravia, but she did so love his fertile imagination and was thrilled to see that he was enjoying himself so well. Her staff seemed appropriately awed and she grinned over at TK, winking at him as she reached out and squeezed his hand. “TK and Quixote certainly fought bravely against the terrible beast. TK even received a terrible wound, but it is thankfully already healed. Thank you, Quixote, for entertaining us all with the tale of our adventures. I will never look at another boar the same, or without remembering the events of this day….or Sir Quixote’s tale of it!” She gave Quixote a bright smile and winked at him. He was in his element now and it warmed her heart to see him so pleased and to have her staff responding appreciatively to his tale.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

As Nikola called for Quixote to tell the tale of battle of the boar today, TK knew it was going to be grand. As Quixote started the tale he was amazed at how well the Knight could weave a web that ensnared the audience. Unknowingly, he too leaned in to hear the tale and see the demonstration of table items used by the Knight to tell the events of the day. TK chuckled at the dragon sized shish kebab joke and took another long pull of the brandy.

While the Knight told the tale he did manage to eat and as he found the plate of rarely cooked meats he took a couple of each meat. TK ate the meats that he didn't think either of his companions would care to eat. He had nearly cleared the plate when Quixote stabbed the bread. TK smiled and slapped the table approvingly. "Here! Here! Very good Sir Knight!" TK instinctively squeezed the hand that squeezed his and nodded. "Aye! It was a fine battle! And the Lady Nikola made sure that no traces of the beast remained for any to find."

"A fine feast your staff has produced here this evening M'Lady." He nodded to Cook "My compliments to the Cook indeed. She must be the envy of all in Fenia for her skills in cooking!" That was no small compliment, for TK knew there were some fine chefs in the land, but surely none more skilled in the cooking of meats. He couldn't comment about the other things that were not meat or bread as he'd not partaken of the other things.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

After a few minutes, Quixote loaded up his plate and filled his glass again. He chatted jovially with those around, laughing and bringing laughter. It was a fine feast, he thought, one that the bards should tell about. He had never felt more at peace or more among friends.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

The rest of the meal was a relaxed affair, with Nikola and her guests chatting amiably with each other as well as the members of her staff present. Looking around at everyone during a lull in the immediate conversation, she realized that she almost felt as though she had a family to call her own. She felt the old familiar pang of regret until she looked at TK. She did not know what was in store for them, but hopefully they would have plenty of time to figure that out. At the very least, they were friends and that was a good thing.

The next morning, she was up early and dressed in a simple brocade dress with a soft floral pattern in sea blue against a light gray base. Her first stop was in the kitchens to check on Cook’s preparations for Quixote’s rations for he would be heading off this morning, making his way back to Bravia. Ben came in while she was seeing to that and informed her that Quixote’s wagon had been repaired and the wheels oiled so that his trip back to Bravia would hopefully be uneventful at least so far as his ride was concerned. He was just grabbing a couple of apples to take out to the horses before hitching them to the wagon. She decided to accompany him to greet the horses herself.

While Ben started working to get the horses hitched to the wagon, Nikola fed an apple to Quixote’s white charger, stroking his nose affectionately.
“You watch after your master,” she admonished him, reaching up to scratch an ear, “and try not to let him come to any harm.” The horse merely chewed his apple and looked at her with curious eyes. He was familiar with her presence, but otherwise, she was just another human to him. He must have liked the apple, though, for he nudged her when it was gone as if hoping for another.