[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Nikola

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Nikola »

She was near the door when the sound of crashing could be heard coming from the direction of the kitchen. A slight grin spread across her face as she quipped over her shoulder. “Sounds like Quixote is up. I had best go check on him, so will see you a bit later.”

She pulled open the door and passed through, but stopped before closing the door behind her. “I don’t suppose you have a spell that would cure clumsiness?” She winked at TK to show she was just joking and closed the door behind her.

Arriving in the kitchen, she found one of her maids picking herself up off the floor while others were busy picking up shards of broken stoneware. The estate owned a full set of beautiful china, but Nikola had never seen the point in using it. She supposed that should the King come to visit, or a dignitary from another country, she might have the staff bring it out, but what was now in pieces on the floor was far less expensive and much more affordable to replace. Even so, the poor maid seemed very upset and one glance at the stricken expression on Quixote’s face told Nikola all she needed to know about what had just happened.

“Is everyone alright?” she asked and relaxed when she was assured that no one had been injured. “The dishes can be easily replaced,” she assured the maid who had finally regained her feet and immediately dropped back down to her knees to help gather up the broken shards. “I am more concerned that you are alright. Accidents happen,” she said, carefully not looking in Quixote’s direction.

She would have dropped to her knees to help but she felt Iris looking at her. When she glanced her way, the steward gave a very slight shake of her head. Inwardly, Nikola sighed. She was supposed to be a lady now. There were good things about having a title and lands, especially an estate this size. It meant she had much to share with others who may have need. That made her think of Faranni and she wondered where the elf maiden was off to today. They did not get to spend nearly as much time together as Nikola had expected, but that was the way of things sometimes. Still, Nikola was grateful to have her living in the manor and she had had enough room for Quixote and TK to stay and work as well. The downside to this was that she had to behave like a lady rather than the run of the mill peasant girl she had always believed herself to be. At least that was what Iris insisted of her. She supposed her steward was right. After all she was a potential heir to the Summer Realm should Vaelen choose to name her since she was the last of his line so far as she knew.

“Sir Quixote, if you will join me, I have some good news for you,” she finally said to the sweet man, deciding that it would probably be best all round if she removed both of them from the bustle of the kitchen. “It looks like TK will be done with your armor by the time you are ready for your afternoon ride. I’ve just had a look and it is very beautiful,” she told him, amending quickly, “and knightly, of course.”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Although he couldn't have known the maid would be passing behind him at just the moment he was doing his giant impression, Quixote still felt somewhat responsible for the accident in the kitchen and when Nikola found out about it he blushed again for the second time in two days. He seemed to have terribly bad luck at her estate, these things rarely happened in the open country. But here breakable things were always packed so close together. He was so flustered he couldn't even speak until he Nikola did:

“Sir Quixote, if you will join me, I have some good news for you,” she finally said to the sweet man, deciding that it would probably be best all round if she removed both of them from the bustle of the kitchen. “It looks like TK will be done with your armor by the time you are ready for your afternoon ride. I’ve just had a look and it is very beautiful,” she told him, amending quickly, “and knightly, of course.”

"Ah, that's wonderful news!" Quixote said clapping his hands together like a child. Obediently, he followed Nikola out of the wreckage allowing the servants to clean up. "I must tell you I am very anxious to be on the road to fight against the terrible Xanthareels, although I know I will be missed around here. A ride is a good idea isn't it? Make sure everything is fitted together the way it should be and nothing coming loose and so on. Probably I won't be off till morning then."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

She grinned at Quixote, sapphire eyes dancing in delight at his obvious excitement. Her joy was tempered with a little sadness when he mentioned that he would probably leave in the morning, provided the armor did not need readjustments that might delay his departure. Nevertheless, she had known the day would come when he would need to leave. She just hated to see him go. At least here she could sort of protect him from himself...maybe a little. But out there? She had to remind herself that he had been doing this most of his life and he would be just fine without her hovering nearby to fret over his safety. Besides, that was why she had asked TK to enchant his armor, wasn't it?

"Then we shall have a feast tonight to send you off in style!" she declared. "I would love to accompany you on your ride this afternoon if you don't mind. That way I can help you discover any areas that may need adjusting while TK is still here. It will make me feel better about sending you off tomorrow morning if I know that all is as it should be," she told him.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK heard the crash of dishes to the floor and shook his head a moment and understood what Nikola meant by the lack of grace that the Knight possessed. He nodded as she went to investigate the scene "Thank you M'lady for the Klahua. A little bread and meat, and perhaps a pot of this klahua would be great if it could be delivered to my room here. There's only a few hours left till he takes his ride and I want to have it ready for him." He smiled and watched as she walked down the hall towards the sound of the commotion.

Turning, he went back to working on the pieces of armor. He carefully laid the straps out next to their respective parts and made certain the buckles had the same coverage as all the other armor. After an hour of inspecting each piece with expert and unforgiving judgement he was satisfied that they were perfectly protected against shock. He began reassembling the armor, making sure that he set the buckles in the same setting as they were when he got them. Another hour later and the armor was completely back to whole pieces. The sun was well up and he sensed it was getting near mid morning.

Just as he was about to open the door there was a knock. He opened the door to see a servant of the house standing there with a plate of meat and bread, along with a klahua pot. He smiled and thanked the girl. She smiled back and as she seemed to take notice of his eyes, her own eyes widened and she turned abruptly and ran back towards the kitchen. He started to say something, but decided to let her imagination run wild. He laughed to himself and shut the door. Setting the tray on the table and pouring himself another mug of klahua he took some meat and bread, made a sandwich of sorts and sat down to enjoy the morning meal. He looked out the window at the lake and enjoyed the view. He looked forward to hunting these grounds soon. That beast in the woods would soon grow bored or brave and he didn't want it hurting any of the people that lived here, especially Nikola. He would find that thing and make a rug out of it, or perhaps a hide shield from the beast. Either way, it would be taken care of soon.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote agreed to the ride, agreed to the feast and chatted about many things before Nikola was called away to other duties. Quixote checked on his horse and found it to be well tended to by the servants of the manor. He was at sixes and sevens until the time for the ride and so he walked among the trees for a bit and then wandered back to see if the orc had finished up or not, he knew very well that interrupting a magic spell was not a good choice so he was timid about even knocking. From the window it had looked like he was eating a sandwich but then he didn't know very much about magicking things. What if eating a sandwich was the most delicate and important part of the spell and Quixote busted in and ruined everything?? In his mind's eye Quixote saw the castle being consumed in a fireball and the orc trying in vain to stop the spell going out of control.

So there Quixote stood outside the door, he went to knock, then changed his mind and made the gesture into a neck scratch. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other. He cleared his throat.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Paperwork finished, Nikola went to the kitchens to check on lunch. Preparations were already underway for the feast planned for the evening meal and she was informed that lunch would be a much lighter affair. Steak sandwiches and potato crisps followed by klahua cakes sounded delicious enough to her and she gave her whole-hearted approval. Not that she had ever disapproved of any of Cook’s menus, nor had she ever dared do so. She was certainly fortunate to have such a talented and resourceful cook and she worked hard to keep the larder well stocked for her.

She left the kitchens intending to let TK know that lunch would be served whenever he was ready. Hopefully, he would have completed his finishing touches on the armor. She hoped Quixote would be well pleased. As she approached TK’s room, her lips curved into a smile as she took note of her Knight Errant shifting nervously outside TK’s door. She approached him and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.
“Has TK not answered your knock yet?” She asked this assuming he had knocked on the door. She knew that TK’s hearing would have registered even a light knock so was surprised that he had not answered the door yet. A second glance at Quixote’s face had her wondering whether he had indeed knocked yet as he seemed rather sheepish. A quick glance around did not reveal any new broken vases or scattered flowers and the wall hangings appeared to still be in their proper places, so she wondered whether he had just been reluctant to knock.

Smiling again, she rapped her knuckles against the door softly. To Quixote she said,
“I do hope you are hungry. Cook has prepared a light lunch for us and then we can go for a ride. If TK has finished with his work, that is. He thought he should be done by now, so I’m hoping so. I’m so excited for you to see the finished product. Are you ready?”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

“Has TK not answered your knock yet?”

Quixote just wrung his hands and shook his head 'no' at her question now uncertain himself whether he had knocked and how long he had been standing there.

“I do hope you are hungry. Cook has prepared a light lunch for us and then we can go for a ride. If TK has finished with his work, that is. He thought he should be done by now, so I’m hoping so. I’m so excited for you to see the finished product. Are you ready?”

Quixote smiled at this. "Oh yes, I'm more than ready to see my old friend. I've felt naked without it. I'm sure all the fine people enjoy going about in dinner robes, but it makes me feel awkward."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

She gave the knight a slightly confused look and parroted him. "Dinner robe?" He had not worn any dinner robe, but only his bath robe. "Oh..." Suddenly, understanding dawned and she felt slightly guilty for not having found a way to subtly let him know sooner. However, it was likely too late now and learning that he had been wearing his bath robe and slippers around all day might simply mortify the poor man. Instead she gave him a hopeful smile. "Well, at least they were comfy, right?" Hoping to direct his attention away from that particular topic of conversation she moved on hurriedly. "I do understand what you mean about feeling naked without your usual armor, though. When mine was destroyed in the battle with the Xanthreels, I felt much the same." Of course, she had felt many other things besides as most of her memories had been blocked at the same moment and it had taken a great deal of time for them to all resurface and make sense again.

Frowning slightly, she knocked again.
"I do hope TK is alright in there. Perhaps he fell asleep after all," she suggested as they waited for the orc to open his door.
Texas_Knight

Post by Texas_Knight »

TK heard a knock at the door and some voices. Why was he sitting in his chair? What had happened? He looked around and the armor was completed, his things put away, and there was a glass of brandy on the table beside him. He shook his head and got up from the chair. The sun was well up in the sky. The last thing he recalled, he was working on the surprise he had for Nikola. He'd arranged to have her armor brought to him in the middle of the night so he could imbue it as well. The extra work must've taken more of a toll on his mind and body than he realized. He looked for her armor and found it hidden behind Quixote's. He had imbued hers with self-healing properties. He smiled and washed his face so he would at least look presentable enough to open the door.

He opened the door and saw both Quixote and Nikola standing there. "Hello there M'Lady, and Quixote. I have to apologize for not hearing you sooner. I had fallen asleep and dreamed that all this had already taken place and that the two of you were already here." TK shook his head as if to clear the cobwebs once again. "Please come in! I have the armor completed for you Quixote. And for you M'Lady, I have a surprise as well."

TK stood to the side and held the door open wide.
Viscount of Northwood and Royal Guard
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote stood at the door transfixed by the sight of the armor for a moment his eyes wide as saucers. Finally he entered and picked up a gauntlet. He plied it, put it on, tested it and declared it, ' an amazing feat of wizardry' At random he picked up pieces of armor and tried them, at one point wearing Nikola's helmet before realizing the mistake.

"Indeed you are the greatest wizard short of the Mages themselves!" Quixote declared, quite forgetting that he'd been told more than once the orc didn't consider himself to be a wizard. How can I ever repay this great favor? I am forever in your service!" He bowed low.