[ORP] Firestorm Manor

Moderator: Community Team

Faranni

Re: [ORP] Firestorm Manor

Post by Faranni »

Her face lit up from the sight of her guardian angel and she shined her brightest smile "Lady Nikola!"moving another spoonful of soup to her mouth"I-it wasn't too difficult finding my way even in the snow. I've been around these parts before, I enjoy fishing down by the lake at summer, do you enjoy any outdoor activities?"
Lady Nikola's steward re-entered the room only to ask the Lady how she'd prefer her supper this evening "Oh yes Miss Iris has been very sweet to me" Faranni bit into one of the biscuits just to emphasis just how grateful she felt with a smiling nod to the steward, and a wide grin at the lady after she'd swallowed the mouthful, trying keep herself at least a little sophisticated.

"I hope I can repay her someday. I've been experimenting with a few recipes that could work in household cleaning. I also have an excellent aloe cream for sore backs and bummed knees." She silently slurped her soup, chewing on a piece of meat from as the taste of vegetable broth and potatoes and meats filled her senses. Halting her eating she wiped her mouth with a linen napkin lying beside her plate and placing her hands in her lap before reaching for her glass "So...h-how was your day? I...don't think I ever heard what it is you do..."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola beamed as Faranni’s face lit up, the elf maiden’s eyes shining brightly as she greeted her. Movement in the doorway caught Nikola’s attention and she glanced up to see Iris re-entering to make sure their guest had everything she needed. At a questioning look from the steward Nikola nodded and Iris disappeared again. Nikola seated herself in a chair opposite to Faranni as she waited for Iris to bring her a light meal.

“I hope you don’t mind if I join you. I think I skipped lunch again today. Iris hates when I do that, but I get so wrapped up in my work that I just forget to eat sometimes. I don’t recall stopping for lunch, so I am guessing I skipped it yet again.”

Iris entered the room again, bearing a tray with another bowl of soup, biscuits and a pot of hot tea. She apparently heard what Nikola had said as she shot her Lady disparaging look. Nikola just shrugged and accepted the tray gratefully.

“I would be interested in these remedies you speak of, as will Iris and possibly others of the staff,” she encouraged Faranni as she dipped a spoon into her own bowl of soup, blew across the spoonful to cool it before guiding the spoon to her mouth. She chewed the chunky bits and swallowed before addressing Faranni’s last question.

“My day was good, filled with the usual. At least no one complained today,” she grinned with a wink. “As to what I do, I am the Finance Minister for the kingdom. That’s a fancy title that basically means I get to buy up what the towns want to sell to the Viceroyalty, and I get to try to sell surplus items from the Viceroyalty to the towns, and I get to encourage farmers and craftsmen to produce what we need, and I get to try to wrangle other Viceroyalties into wanting to trade with Fenia.”

She munched on a biscuit to give the soup a little longer to cool on its own, swallowing a mouthful of the tasty bread before continuing. “Mostly it is tedious work and the real challenge is in keeping everyone happy. I sometimes don’t do a good job at that. I am still getting used to how things are done here in Fenia, which is somewhat different than how we did things back in Bravia. We did not have local barons and earls and such controlling our markets there like we do here in Fenia. In fact, we were lucky to have mayors who paid attention to their markets at all sometimes. So getting people to work for Bravia was a lot simpler than the hoops I have to jump through here in Fenia to get things done without offending someone along the way.”

She poured tea into the cup provided and breathed in the cool scent of mint before taking a sip.
Faranni

Post by Faranni »

"Oh, please do. I'd enjoy the company" Faranni flushed down a pice of bread with the wine, finally starting to feel warmth coming back to her cold limbs."I shall makes some emquieries with the staff later then" she beamed taking a few more spoons of soup while listening with great interest to her lodger and new found friend tell her about her day. She hadn't fully realized how the ruling systems worked in this world. Back in her clan they had the keeper that was the elder and leader of the whole clan. Here the leaders seemed to be called kings and queens or "monarch". And there was also lower types of rulers called Lords and ladies...and ministers. She had managed to pick up most of the customs of adressing these leaders of noble birth rather quickly but she was still learning and Nikola's comparisons had made her understand things looked quite differently depending on the city. Months back when she visited Bravia she hadn't noticed any larger difference then Fenia but apparently there were some. "I would assume work takes most of your time and energy. I have a herbal tea that can help with that...you will find it very rejuventating." She paused to swallow another spoon of soup "I recently managed to find work at the Cathedral here in Fenia."
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Nikola nodded as Faranni stated she would make inquiries with the staff later. She felt confident that the staff would at least be polite and would not hesitate to show genuine interest if her remedies proved to be of value. Good remedies were welcomed, she knew, and she had learned that her staff were very accepting of new ideas and some were eager to learn whatever they could about new and promising things, whether they be ideas or remedies or simply good stories.

When she mentioned an herbal tea to help with time and energy she chuckled.
“I’ll gladly try it out. If it could give both time and energy, I would take all you have to offer! But soothing my tired brain and boosting my energy levels would be most welcome.”

She nodded at Faranni’s next proclamation, waiting until she had swallowed the spoonful of soup before responding. “I had noticed your name among the deacons of the Fenia cathedral. Very well done, Faranni. I hope you will enjoy your new home here in Fenia. Some day you will have to tell me something of how you came to be here.” She cast a curious glance at the elf before adding around a mouthful of biscuit, “but only if and when you are ready, of course.”

They chatted amiably until the food was gone. One of the kitchen staff came in to clear away the dishes as Nikola stretched, one hand going to her shoulder to massage the tension that had knotted those muscles.

“Come, let’s get you to your room, shall we?” she invited Faranni to follow her as she rose and made for the door. “I hope you will find it to your liking,” she told her as she led them out into the hall and up the stairs. “You may decorate it any way you wish, including adding whatever color you would like,” she said as she opened the door to a room on the right at the end of the hall on the second floor. Inside the room was decorated in pale colors, mostly whites and varying shades of cream with accents of gold and bronze. A fireplace was built into the outside corner of the room above which hung a portrait of some woman whom Nikola did not know. Perhaps she had been a former mistress of this estate. Perhaps she was simply a model for a talented painter. No one seemed to know, but the portrait seemed to belong to the room so she had never had it moved. “I do hope you will be comfortable here and that this will eventually feel like home for you.”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote was on an official mission from Bravia. He drove a wagon loaded with strawberries and a few other sundries, with his own white charger hitched behind. He attempted to drive up the winding path, but left deep ruts on the lawn and mashed a few flowers. He hoped to encounter someone who would take over the wagon so he could make a more dashing entrance. He was not fundamentally a drover, and the trip had been dull so far, the stories of bandits on the road overrated, or else they had heard about the terrible quixote and his amazing skills and had steered clear; yes, he decided it must have been the latter.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

As Nikola was helping Faranni get settled in, she heard a commotion coming from outside. She stepped over to the window which overlooked the main entry and was surprised to see a wagon being driven across the manicured lawn. She frowned, wondering who on earth it might be, then a flash of metal caught her attention and she broke into a wide grin.

“Faranni, please do make yourself at home here. Let the staff know if you have need of anything at all. It seems I have another guest who has just arrived and if someone does not lend him a hand, I’ll have no shrubs or flower beds left to bloom come Spring!”

With that she rushed down the stairs past the staff members who were ogling the spectacle out front. She reached the wagon before it could crush any more of her lawn and placed a hand on the lead horses bridle. “Quixote!” She greeted the knight in dented armor with a bright smile. “I see you found your way here after all.”

Young Ben came up behind her, staring at the spectacle in the wagon, his mouth agape. She chuckled and nodded toward Quixote. “Ben, this is Quixote, my knight errant and dear friend. He is here on a trade mission from Bravia and I suspect he has a number of goods for us in his wagon. Would you mind leading the wagon over to the barn and helping Matthew with the team? Leave the goods in the wagon, but secure it in the barn, please.”

Ben stopped gaping and nodded, quickly moving to take hold of the lead horse and prepared to lead it out of the lawn and…hopefully…away from the flower beds and on into the barn. Once Ben had hold of the horses, she moved to the wagon and held out her hands to clasp Quixote’s. “Come on inside and tell me all about your trip. How many bandits did you slay this time? Did you see any fierce giants along the way?”
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

It seemed that more careful Quixote tried to be, the worse his driving got. But then Nikola appeared and everything was ok. he was more than happy to turn over charge of the wagon to Ben. He gave the young man a freznic and asked that the horses be brushed down.

“Come on inside and tell me all about your trip. How many bandits did you slay this time? Did you see any fierce giants along the way?”

Alas, alas my reputation precedes me everywhere, the bandits went deep in the hills and the giants kept to their caves. No one wanted to have a conversation with Quixote's legendary diamond encrusted sword. If you know of any monsters that need slaying just point me in their direction...uh oh."

Quixote had been trying to get out of the wagon since Nikola appeared, but the heavy weight of his mail and the stiffness from sitting all day meant he couldn't rise. He had then had the brilliant idea of pulling himself up using the reins but this worked too well and he tilted forward and in slow motion fell forward and landed on his head on the ground. Using his superior martial skills, he turned this into a tumble so that neither his head or neck took the full brunt of his fall. He wound up sitting legs splayed on the ground.

"Never fear, Quixote is here!"
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Ben looked at the freznic in his hand and then looked up at his mistress with a questioning look. Nikola just grinned and gave him a nearly imperceptible nod, her smile broadening as he looked relieved and pocketed the coin, waiting for Quixote to disembark before leading the horses and wagon off to the barn.

Nikola’s attention turned back to Quixote as he answered her question while trying to get out of the wagon. He seemed to be having some trouble getting his armor to cooperate with his efforts. He did finally rise, but rather than simply getting to his feet and then using those feet to climb down, he kept tipping forward. Her eyes grew wide as she realized what was about to happen and started to move forward, intending to try to help the man stabilize, but she was not quick enough. She clasped her hand over her mouth, stifling a startled
“Oh!” as he tumbled out of the wagon to the ground, twisting and turning so that instead of landing on his head, he landed on his rear, legs splayed in a rather awkward manner. Chuckling at his pronouncement, she moved forward and offered him her hands to help him to his feet.

“My dearest Quixote, how I have missed you! Come on inside and let’s get you something to eat, yes?”

She hoped he had brought a change of clothing, but suspected he had planned to simply remain in his armor night and day as he usually tended to do. She began wondering what scheme she could come up with that would get him out of his armor and into a nice, hot bath.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Quixote recovered himself deftly, hoping no one had really noticed his slight faux pas of falling out of the wagon.

“My dearest Quixote, how I have missed you! Come on inside and let’s get you something to eat, yes?”

"Oh, that would be lovely, my lady! All I've had for a week is broccoli omelettes and they aren't nearly as good as my buttered noodles recipe," he smiled as he remembered how much Nikola had enjoyed his cooking back in the Bravian forests. It seemed like yesterday, though really it had been a year at least. Nikola was the sun in Quixote's life though and even when they had not seen each other for awhile, everything came rushing back to him in her presence.

He followed Nikola back to the manor as best he could, one piece of armor had been bent in the fall and was now pressing painfully into his hip.
Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Broccoli omelettes? She glanced at him, wondering whether he had been eating the broccoli he was supposed to be bringing to her. Surely not, she thought, but then again, this was Quixote. He meant well, he always did. But sometimes things got jumbled up in that sweet head of his. Ah well, they would sort things out one way or another. At least he had been eating healthy. She well remembered the buttered noodles. Doughy, and dripping with so much butter that you hardly noticed the lack of salt in the dough. But they were edible, and he was so proud of the recipe. Thinking back now, she didn’t remember that they were all that bad and they had been edible…barely.

“Oh yes, the buttered noodles. Those were the days, weren’t they, Quixote?” she said with a smile. She noticed he seemed to be limping and a closer examination showed a dent where it really should not be in the hip area. She grimaced slightly and asked quietly, “Did you bring a change of clothes, or armor, by chance? I think we can scare up a nice hot bath for you to warm up in. If you didn’t, I’m sure we can find something for you to wear. That armor looks like it could use some attention, preferably without you in it.”

Iris was at the door shooing the staff into the house and back to work. She knew Quixote and Nikola smiled, guessing that she had probably already ordered his room to be readied and a bath drawn, so whether Quixote wanted one or not, he was going to get one! Iris brooked no discussion on those matters.